question about calibration mic for onkyo tx-sr705 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-10-2008, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
icyfire22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up a tx-sr705 open box and it didn't come with the setup calibration microphone. I have a calibration microphone from my sony str-dg1000. I was wondering whether I could use it on the onkyo or whether it would be incompatible. Thx.
icyfire22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 05-10-2008, 07:01 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
schroedk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Rushville, IL
Posts: 2,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Easy answer would be to try it. I strongly doubt you would damage anything, unless you tried to force the connector in if it was incompatible or something. When you plug Onkyo's microphone in, the receiver/onscreen setup screen automatically goes to the calibration menu, so I'm not sure if that would happen with any microphone with a miniplug connector, or if there's something proprietary about Onkyo's microphone.

Try it and let us know.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
schroedk is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 10-23-2008, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vinodk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Camarillo, California
Posts: 2,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I also bought an open box 705 from my local Frys at a great price but it did not come with calibration mic. Does anybody know of any place that will sell mic for 705? I will try calling Onkyo tomorrow.

Vinod
vinodk is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 10-23-2008, 07:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,459
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfire22 View Post

I picked up a tx-sr705 open box and it didn't come with the setup calibration microphone. I have a calibration microphone from my sony str-dg1000. I was wondering whether I could use it on the onkyo or whether it would be incompatible. Thx.

It will not be suitable. You need the Onkyo mic.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 10-23-2008, 07:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,459
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk View Post

Easy answer would be to try it. I strongly doubt you would damage anything, unless you tried to force the connector in if it was incompatible or something. When you plug Onkyo's microphone in, the receiver/onscreen setup screen automatically goes to the calibration menu, so I'm not sure if that would happen with any microphone with a miniplug connector, or if there's something proprietary about Onkyo's microphone.

Try it and let us know.

Even it if turns on, any mic other than the Onkyo will not be matched to the calibrations in the AVR's firmware.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 10-23-2008, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
M Code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Joshua Tree, CA
Posts: 9,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Every microphone has a different frequency response specification. This response curve is part of the basic Room EQ software within the DSP. Using a different microphone will pull this part of the software calibration out of specification...
It is not as critical for the low frequencies but very significant for the high frequencies.

Get the correct microphone..

Just my $0.015..
M Code is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 10-23-2008, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vinodk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Camarillo, California
Posts: 2,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi Guys!
Is there a source where I can buy the mic for 705?
Thanks,

Vinod
vinodk is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 10-24-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vinodk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Camarillo, California
Posts: 2,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Ordered the mic directly from Onkyo for $20.00 including shipping. Not bad considering the price I got the unit for. Wonder if the newer mic for 706 will work with 705 as the newer mic seems like a better design but not sure if it will take more accurate measurements compared to last years mic.

Vinod
vinodk is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 01-05-2009, 06:58 AM
Member
 
snakster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

Ordered the mic directly from Onkyo for $20.00 including shipping. Not bad considering the price I got the unit for. Wonder if the newer mic for 706 will work with 705 as the newer mic seems like a better design but not sure if it will take more accurate measurements compared to last years mic.

How did you order it directly from Onkyo? I don't see it on their site and so far they have not responded to my inquiry (granted, I sent it on Saturday and it's only Monday morning).

I am in the same boat as others in this thread; open-box buy with missing mic. So far I love it and I don't even know what I'm doing yet. I can only imagine how happy I'll be when I figure out the settings and such.
snakster is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off