sony str-dg1000 vs onkyo tx-sr705 which to keep? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-13-2008, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i picked up a str-dg1000 from BB for $300 open box and a tx-sr705 from CC for $400 open box (neither came with a remote). I'm trying to decide which one is worth keeping. I am running a ps3 through HDMI. Both process linear pcm through HDMI which was what I needed for dolby truehd and dts hd. However, only the tx-sr705 can process bitstreamed truehd/dts hd but that's not a big advantage for me cause the ps3 can only send linear pcm anyways. So anyways, which one should I keep and is the $100 price difference between the onkyo 705 and sony 1000 worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-13-2008, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In the spirit of full disclosure, I own a DG1000. You've outlined the differences between these two receivers pretty well except for the fact that (a) the 705 has 3 HDMI inputs vs 2 for the DG1000, (b) the 705 has some level of THX certification and the DG1000 doesn't and (c) the DG1000 weighs about 6 more pounds (for whatever that may indicate). If the extra HDMI input and THX certification are important to you, keep the 705. If not keep the DG1000 and use the $100 you saved to get a good remote. JMO
post #3 of 6 Old 05-13-2008, 04:32 PM

This would be a great opportunity to prove or disprove that there is a difference in sound between avrs...

But I agree with Sam said above... try em out and see what you like...
post #4 of 6 Old 05-14-2008, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. I tried them both out and I like the Onkyo more. The Sony was good but it seemed a little underpowered. I compared them with a Blu ray disc (Saawariya) with a TrueHD 5.1 track running through HDMI. I felt that the Onkyo was driving the center speaker better and the surrounds were giving a more fuller sound than the Sony. Now, there may be some calibration settings that may play into effect but this is my comparison to the best of my abilities. The Onkyo was open box so I don't know whether the person before tried to calibrate it and that's why it sounds good (I don't have the mic to calibrate). I calibrated the Sony with the microphone that comes with it.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-16-2008, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I would try manually tweaking the settings of the Sony first before making a final decision. It should have plenty of power compared to the Onkyo.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-16-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

I would try manually tweaking the settings of the Sony first before making a final decision. It should have plenty of power compared to the Onkyo.

Yeah I agree.. Sounds like a calibration issue to me.. I have to put the surrounds to about +4db in the settings on my Sony receiver..
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page