Denon AVR-4800 Owners - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-21-2001, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered my new Denon 4800 (should be here in 3 days)http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I was wondering what 2-channel amp you were using and how you have it configured. The 2-channel amp driving the "EX" speakers or the Front Mains. I am anxious to take the ES/EX feature for a test drive but I want to be careful about my amp selection (last approved upgrade for awhile)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2001, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
When I had my 4800, I actually bought 3 Marantz MA6100 monoblocks and ran the left, right and center off the monoblocks and used the 4800 amps to power the side and rear surrounds. Worked great for me. I would buy and good 2 or 3 channel amp and run the front soundstage with it and use the 4800 for surround duties. Or buy a good 5 channel amp and use the 4800 as a pre/pro if you think you might move to seperates in the future. My 2c

------------------
-Kevin

-Kevin

Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector

Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

JTR Single8 HT-LP surrounds

twin JTR Orbit Shifter LF subwoofers

GIK Acoustic room treatments

Old 05-22-2001, 01:48 PM

Almost inlines with what Simon was getting too. Can you configure the Denon 4800 so that the internal amp can power the Center, Sides, AND back (6.1/EX) and then use an external 2 channel amp for the mains? I heard the 4800 using a Rotel 1070?? (200x2) for the mains and the 4800 for the Ctr and surrounds using Paradigm Speakers and was VERY impressed with this setup!

Michael

------------------
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

Eighty percent of married men cheat in America! The rest do it in Europe! -Jackie Mason
Old 05-22-2001, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the responses thus far....Michael, yes you can power the center and all four surrounds with the 4800 and power the front main channels with an external amp. I was planning on using this type of configuration...although powering the front soundstage with a 3 channel amp is a good thought. I would like to stay around the $600-$700 area for either a 2 or 3 channel amp (I will most certainly have to buy used for that pricepoint)
Any other suggestions/advice?
Old 05-22-2001, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I remained with the Denon line - using the POA-5200 for the front left and right.

The POA new from my dealer was in the price range you mention - I don't believe you have to settle on a "used" solution.
Old 05-22-2001, 11:06 PM

KeithAP is right. Why go used when you can match it perfectly with a Denon product the POA 5200 which is well within your price range. I know you can get all fancy but I stuck with the match and it works well for me. I drive the Infinity Prelude fronts with the 5200 and they sing.

------------------

Old 05-23-2001, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I was hoping for an unsolicited endorsement of the POA-5200
Old 05-24-2001, 01:26 PM
MEY

Can this that you all are talking about be done with the 3801 also? Can I use the 3801 to drive the 4 rear speakers and the 5200 to drive the fronts? I am new to this but it seems to me if you drove the center with the 3801 and the front left and right with a more powerful amp that the center would get drowned out. Is that not the case? Or do you just fix that with level adjustments?

Thanks for any help you can give this new dummy.

Mike

GO STARS!!!!
Old 05-24-2001, 01:31 PM
MEY

Never mind on the above question. I think I answered it myself. I remember now that the 4800 does not have a 7 channel amp. Correct? But since the 3801 does I do not need to do this? Am I getting it yet? Ot would it still benefit me? And how much since the 5200 is only 120w x2?

Mike

GO STARS!!!!
Old 05-24-2001, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mey, it would absolutely benefit you. It is not so much the power rating, the benefit lies in the increased power supply (large torrodial transformer and big caps) Any time you can take stress off the internal amps and power supply in your receiver the result will be cleaner (less distortion) sound. All channels should be calibrated to 75dB so....no the center imaging would not be lost, it should actually sound better especially during loud action passages when most if not all the amps are working hard.
Eventually I will be allowed to purchase a five channel amp and just use the 4800 as a pre/pro. This is why I am agonizing over this decision. I want an affordable 2-3 channel amp now BUT I also am looking down the road and don't want to have to replace it when I go 100% separate amplification.
Old 05-25-2001, 08:09 AM
MEY

Thanks for the explanation Simon, that all makes since now. So that is something I can start considering now. I have not bought my 3801 yet but when I do in the next few weeks I will look into getting a separate amp also.

Thanks,

Mike

GO STARS!!!!
Old 05-25-2001, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well my 4800 arrived today.....dented and beat all to hellhttp://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif And of course this being Memorial Day weekend the place where I purchased it is closed. I really hate FedEx right now, all they had to do was take a little care and I would have had a wonderful holiday weekend. I hooked it up in the hopes that I could at least listen to it although I can't stand to look at it. Everything works - and it sounds great when there is alot of action on the screen, when the passage goes quiet there is an annoying sporadic hiss/crackle. Even though it is built like a tank it evidently is not indestructible. I mean c'mon it looks like someone hurled it off the back of a big rig...have a little respect for peoples property.
Old 05-27-2001, 03:34 PM
MEY

What a bummer. Where did you order it from? Was it double boxed? I am getting ready to order a 3801 so would you let me know where you bought yours and how well and promptly you get this taken care of.

Thanks,

Mike

GO STARS!!!!
Old 05-28-2001, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mey, it is a small local place here in Charlotte, NC....They don't usually carry deep inventory so they often drop ship. They are still closed so I have not heard anything as of yet, but I do expect a call first thing tomorrow morning. I will not mention thier name yet until I know how they plan to resolve this, however they have been good to deal with in the past and I'm sure they will do the right thing. I was just frustrated...6pm Friday before a holiday, I was looking at a long weekend without the use of my system....I'm over it nowhttp://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
Note to self: Do not sell old gear before new gear arrives in good condition.
Old 05-29-2001, 12:06 PM
MEY

I was just worried it was one of these online places I am considering buying my 3801 from. I wanted any info on these places I could get before placing an order.

Mike

GO STARS!!!!
Old 05-30-2001, 01:42 PM

I would not go with Ubid if that is one of the company's you have been thinking about. I bought a 4800 last year from them which arrived spectacularly damaged. It took hours on the phone and about a month to resolve. They finally agreed to refund my money, but it was a mess.