Denon's 2008-09 Receivers Announced - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mikelike2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Salem, VA
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just thought I would get the conversation rolling.

These new receivers seem to have everything going for them - most with 4 HDMI in's and fair pricing. Unfortunately, I can find very little information on these units. Nothing up on Denon's site that I can find. With a release date of July '08, one would think Denon would get some information out to build excitement. July is only 5 weeks away!
mikelike2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 06:11 AM
T2k
 
T2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New GUI is here too:





Babelfish'd info: http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate
T2k is offline  
post #3 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
efjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 1,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Some details here:

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...new_receivers/

Not sure if Dynamic EQ is new but Dynamic Volume is one new addition to the feature list.
efjay is offline  
post #4 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 07:32 AM
Senior Member
 
omirp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Generally which AVR ? Pioneer or Denon.
omirp is offline  
post #5 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Member
 
mayo2222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm glad I waited on buying the onkyo 705. I am most likely going to pick up the AVR-2309CI or AVR1909CI in July when the new receivers roll out. Some websites don't list the 1909 as a CI but I am pretty confident it is. Now I guess I will wait and see what the difference betweend the 2309 and 1909 is and if its worth the extra money.
mayo2222 is offline  
post #6 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
In2Photos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Monroe, NC
Posts: 1,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm glad to see that they are releasing some new models soon but man I really want some more info than what is out there. Come on Denon! Update your site for us, please!

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In2Photos is offline  
post #7 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mikelike2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Salem, VA
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo2222 View Post

I'm glad I waited on buying the onkyo 705. I am most likely going to pick up the AVR-2309CI or AVR1909CI in July when the new receivers roll out. Some websites don't list the 1909 as a CI but I am pretty confident it is. Now I guess I will wait and see what the difference betweend the 2309 and 1909 is and if its worth the extra money.

What web sites have these up to view? My Google search did not reveal anything.
mikelike2 is offline  
post #8 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 6,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo2222 View Post

I'm glad I waited on buying the onkyo 705. I am most likely going to pick up the AVR-2309CI or AVR1909CI in July when the new receivers roll out. Some websites don't list the 1909 as a CI but I am pretty confident it is. Now I guess I will wait and see what the difference betweend the 2309 and 1909 is and if its worth the extra money.

I'm interested in see how these compare to the Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K, VSX-01TXH, and VSX-03TXH. A negative about the 2008 Pioneer mid priced line is no phono input's on the receivers. So interested to know if the Denon 2809, 2309, 1909 models have a phono input? I do like the look of the new models, and the GUI interface looks a lot better!

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #9 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 07:59 AM
Member
 
mayo2222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelike2 View Post

What web sites have these up to view? My Google search did not reveal anything.

http://www.widescreenreview.com/news...l.php?id=16157

There is a link above as well. Also, looks like I was wrong. Now it doesn't appear that the 1909 will be a CI, but hopefully there will be more information out soon.
mayo2222 is offline  
post #10 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 08:04 AM
T2k
 
T2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

I'm interested in see how these compare to the Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K, VSX-01TXH, and VSX-03TXH. A negative about the 2008 Pioneer mid priced line is no phono input's on the receivers. So interested to know if the Denon 2809, 2309, 1909 models have a phono input? I do like the look of the new models, and the GUI interface looks a lot better!

Yeah, I miss the phono input too, it seems it's becoming the trend this year...
T2k is offline  
post #11 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Senior Member
 
omirp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
omirp is offline  
post #12 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 08:08 AM
Senior Member
 
stidrvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Oshkosh, WI
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope with the AVR-xx09 models, there video processors actually do something correctly. I was almost dead set on 3808CI then I read a review to find out that its video processor isn't worth a damn.
stidrvr is offline  
post #13 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
the rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 1,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

Yeah, I miss the phono input too, it seems it's becoming the trend this year...

a very high quality phono pre-amp (that will generally greatly out perform the in box solutions) is only about $100 or so if analog is a priority!
the rick is offline  
post #14 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 08:41 AM
T2k
 
T2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stidrvr View Post

I hope with the AVR-xx09 models, there video processors actually do something correctly. I was almost dead set on 3808CI then I read a review to find out that its video processor isn't worth a damn.

With the exception of HQV-based high-end units AFAIK all current Denons use the old old FLI2310 which is a seriously outdated chip, no wonder if it's garbage...
T2k is offline  
post #15 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 08:41 AM
T2k
 
T2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rick View Post

a very high quality phono pre-amp (that will generally greatly out perform the in box solutions) is only about $100 or so if analog is a priority!

I know, it's just nice to have it in the box, isn't it? Especially when you only have so little space...
T2k is offline  
post #16 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eightninesuited's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto, Republic of Canuckistan
Posts: 4,693
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any shots of the back? The 1908 model doesn't have preouts, will the 1909 have it? Also, how many HDMI inputs?

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
eightninesuited is offline  
post #17 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MichaelJHuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 18,847
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Looks like MFG's are finally putting in more HDMI inputs. Only the lowest Denon model has 2. The rest have three or more.

"But this one goes up to 11"
MichaelJHuman is offline  
post #18 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bryan_P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Charlottesville, aka UVA
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was hoping that one of the cheaper models might be comparable, features-wise, to the 605. I really like my current Denon and would like to keep it in the family when I upgrade, but it doesn't look like the 689 will be all that competitive with the 605.
Bryan_P is offline  
post #19 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Senior Member
 
guest68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Washington, MO
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Returned an 805, have considered a used (w/warranty) Yammy 2700, Yammy 663, Denon 2308, back to the 2700, wait for the Poi 1018, back to the 2700 again, now wait for the new Denons???????

It's getting harder and harder to choose!!!!
guest68 is offline  
post #20 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 09:40 AM
T2k
 
T2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_P View Post

I was hoping that one of the cheaper models might be comparable, features-wise, to the 605. I really like my current Denon and would like to keep it in the family when I upgrade, but it doesn't look like the 689 will be all that competitive with the 605.

IMO 689 overall matches your Onkyo but 789 certainly beats it.
T2k is offline  
post #21 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 10:07 AM
Member
 
Iamhoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indiana, across from Louisville, KY
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos View Post

I'm glad to see that they are releasing some new models soon but man I really want some more info than what is out there. Come on Denon! Update your site for us, please!

They seem to make good equipment but their website is, quite frankly, an afterthought for them. I can't remember how long their "Tech Showcase" has been showing the message "Coming soon". It's really funny when looking at a feature and it states, "for more info go to Tech Showcase". Same goes for the owner's club. Last I heard, it has never really been fully operational either. (Still, Denon does provide more detailed info than Yamaha)

Good equipment is better than a good website, no doubt, but I fail to see why the 2 must be mutually exclusive.
Iamhoosier is offline  
post #22 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Davidt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My current receiver is HK. I like the sound and would upgrade to another HK if only they would give US customers the same chassis the Europeans get. It looks like the new Denon receivers still have the same plain, boring look like the current models. I might have to overlook that since I really want a receiver with Audyssey.
Davidt1 is offline  
post #23 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 10:31 AM
T2k
 
T2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

My current receiver is HK. I like the sound and would upgrade to another HK if only they would give US customers the same chassis the Europeans get. It looks like the new Denon receivers still have the same plain, boring look like the current models. I might have to overlook that since I really want a receiver with Audyssey.

FYI: HK is introducing a new EzEQ in its upcoming x54 line...
T2k is offline  
post #24 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Davidt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
They think Audyssey is the best of the bunch because a company is dedicated to developing it whereas HK, Pioneer and Yamaha just put out something so they can say, "Me too."
Davidt1 is offline  
post #25 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Senior Member
 
tn001d's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

With the exception of HQV-based high-end units AFAIK all current Denons use the old old FLI2310 which is a seriously outdated chip, no wonder if it's garbage...

WHo cares about the video processor.. if you are passing 1080p though it bypasses the whole video processing step. Not unless you are watching old vcr tapes than you will need a good video processor. Even then Silicon optix wont make them look any better.

DCDi is good enough for 1080i to 1080p

Denon DVD-3800BDCI, Sony BDP-S550, Sony BDP-S1000ES
Toshiba HD-XA2, Toshiba HD-A35
tn001d is offline  
post #26 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 10:59 AM
T2k
 
T2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn001d View Post

WHo cares about the video processor.. if you are passing 1080p though it bypasses the whole video processing step.

Ouch - I didn't know Cleveland got excellent quality 1080p cable channels...

Quote:


Not unless you are watching old vcr tapes than you will need a good video processor.

Ummm your TV programming (SD and HD), your SD DVD etc are all excellent as they are, matching your displays native 1080p, right?

Quote:


Even then Silicon optix wont make them look any better.

Actually it does. How about checking out things first...?

Quote:


DCDi is good enough for 1080i to 1080p

Suuure... whatever, pal.
T2k is offline  
post #27 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
nilsp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 1,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So when can we expect info on 3809?

I wish they had put some info on the video processing in the press release, but the fact that almost all are listed in the same sentence as to supporting conversion to 1080P (from analog) my suspicion is that not much has changed on that part, unfortunately.

Which is why I pin my hopes on the 3809...

NilsP

Life is better in HD.
nilsp is offline  
post #28 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
rhett7660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: United States
Posts: 743
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What do you think the price points for each will be?

"Me Personally, I want to slay the dragon"
rhett7660 is offline  
post #29 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Manamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What does anyone know about what this guy is saying:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...65&postcount=6
Manamb is offline  
post #30 of 1382 Old 05-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Senior Member
 
omirp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
omirp is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off