Why not the Yamaha 363? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-30-2008, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Went to BB and looked for the receivers that were recommended by people here on this forum, and found none of them there. But I did find a Yamaha 363 that was in my price range (under $300). Looking here on this forum, I can find virtually nothing about this receiver.

I wish to connect up either a PS3 or Pany BD30 BR player to the receiver, as well as to be able to connect my Sony SR11 HD video cam (both via HDMI), cable box (no HDMI outs), and a CD player. The receiver would be connected to my Toshiba 720p plasma TV.

Why not get the Yamaha 363? I already have a Sony home theatre set up and would save the speakers and replace the old Sony receiver. And 5.1 is good enough for me.

So, why not the Yamaha 363?

Thanks.
Mike

"Common Practice Does Not Necessarily Mean Common Sense."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-30-2008, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

But I did find a Yamaha 363 that was in my price range (under $300). Looking here on this forum, I can find virtually nothing about this receiver.

The Yahama 663 was $399 online back in March so that is probably the answer for most too the why not.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #3 of 7 Old 05-30-2008, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

On line where?

post #4 of 7 Old 05-31-2008, 10:21 AM

http://www.butterflyphoto.com/produc...zmap=YAMRXV6636ave w/ coupon code AFLYAM359 is pretty much the best deal you'll find. I believe coupon expires in a day or two though, so act fast.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-31-2008, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrat2 View Post

http://www.butterflyphoto.com/produc...zmap=YAMRXV6636ave w/ coupon code AFLYAM359 is pretty much the best deal you'll find. I believe coupon expires in a day or two though, so act fast.

Thanks. I'll give it a try. But I still don't know why the 363 is not a good deal. How is the 663 better than the 363?

Respectfully,
MIke

post #6 of 7 Old 05-31-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I think the 663 adds quite a bit over the 363. Yamaha's web site allows you to compare the two. From what I remember, I would spend the extra jack for the 633. But you should do the comparison yourself with a list of your needs by your side so you can make sure you are getting what you need.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #7 of 7 Old 06-01-2008, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I think the 663 adds quite a bit over the 363. Yamaha's web site allows you to compare the two. From what I remember, I would spend the extra jack for the 633. But you should do the comparison yourself with a list of your needs by your side so you can make sure you are getting what you need.

Yes, I can see by comparing the two, that there are a number of items the 663 has that the 363 does not, as one would expect with a two hundred plus difference in price. However, to someone like me, who knows very little about this field/subject, a lot of those items mean very little and therefore seem not that important. Perhaps if someone were to simply explain to me what all those items were and what they do, I would feel differently.

I watch lots of movies (SD DVDs so far) on my 42" 720P plasma. 5.1 is fine with me. I want good surround sound, but am not a purist/"fanatic"/"cutting edge gotta have the best" type of person. Yes, to be immersed in both the sound as well as the picture is good, but I don't need to be subjected to one hundred twenty five plus decibels of sound. My room is 12 X 16, so it is not that big. My speakers are not that big either and I don't necessarily want to have to replace them. A good balanced surround sound experience, emulating as close as a 5.1 system can to reality, is what I am after; within a limited budget.

So is it possible with the 363 to achieve a good, balanced, immersive experience with SD DVDs, and in a couple of months, BR DVD movies (PS3 or BD30)?

Thanks,
Mike

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page