May I list what I want to do & you suggest an AVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-03-2008, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I thought I would just get the Denon 4308CI and be done with it. But now I'm thinking it may just be too complicated and perhaps "overkill" for my applications. I'm not tech savvy, but I'm not tech averse, either.

If I don't need to spend $2k on a receiver to do what I want to do then I'd be happy to spend $1k. But these are what I'd like to be able to do; perhaps you could recommend something. I'll be using it with a Panasonic PT-AX200U & 119" Da-Lite Screen. I plan on getting an Oppo 983.

I use regular ol' cable for my television viewing. I haven't owned a tv in over 2 years. I would probably watch 4 hours a week of television. COPS, First 48 and Mythbusters.

Standard definition dvds. The stuff I like to watch will probably never make it to Blu Ray. I mostly watch concert videos on dvd.

I have an extensive cd and vinyl collection and would like to listen to them with this set up.

It'll need to have 7.1 capability. I'd also like to be able to hook it up to a second LCD monitor in the bedroom, so two HDMI outputs would be fab.

Niceties:
A good GUI
Able to name inputs
3 zones, with HDMI to two.
YPAO, Audyssey or the like.
Able to do firmware updates myself, without sending back to service center.

I figure I'll let the hobbyists guide me:-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-04-2008, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post13142666

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #3 of 4 Old 06-04-2008, 12:38 AM

I am pretty sure the Onkyo TX 805 will fit the bill. There is only one point you might want to check (it escapes me right now): that is if you can send HDMI to two zones. I think you cannot, so that may be a deal breaker.

Also, what speakers are you using with this? Will you use a dedicated phono pre for the vinyl? Do you use a separate 2 or 3ch amp for the front speakers/center?

An HDMI switcher might take care of the HDMI to second zone requirement, especially if you use an intelligently programmed remote control.

Till
post #4 of 4 Old 06-04-2008, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfar View Post

Also, what speakers are you using with this? Will you use a dedicated phono pre for the vinyl? Do you use a separate 2 or 3ch amp for the front speakers/center?

An HDMI switcher might take care of the HDMI to second zone requirement, especially if you use an intelligently programmed remote control.

Till

Hi

I have installed my 7.1 speakers all in-wall/ceiling, except for the .1 which is on the floor;-)

I'd rather not use them for general music listening, and instead use my floor standing, so I thought I'd assign them to a separate zone on the AVR. Also, the Surrounds are all rated at 100 watts, and the F/C/R are ratted at 125, so I guess I need an AVR that pumps out at least 125 watts per channel?

I have a Technics 1200 which I hope to connect directly to the phono input.

Eddy, thanks for the link. I currently have a Yamaha I purchased from 2000 and it's worked flawlessly, so I am open to another.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page