Denon AVR-588 problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-05-2008, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, newbie here, so try to be easy on me.

I have an AVR-588 receiver that was bought in late December 2007. It has been working fine until yesterday. I turned it on and it turned right back off and the "protection" light came on. It worked fine the night before and I shut if off with no problems like normal. I've checked the troubleshooting and FAQ but can figure nothing out.
The unit is getting plenty of circulation and staying cool.
The speakers are the Bostons that came with the unit in the 588BA package so there shouldn't be an impedence problem.
I even disconnected everything and removed the unit from the stand placing in on a table with plenty of airflow and the same thing keeps happening with the protection light coming on. I've read in the faq that I can reinitialize the microprocessor but haven't made any progress with that either.
Anybody have any ideas??
I bought it at circuit city and they refuse (over the phone) to do anything with it after 30 days, saying that its up to Denon. I have the recept of course but didnt get a protection plan (and don't remember it being offered because I would have for a purchase like this)
I've emailed Denon and haven't gotten anything back and haven't had the 43 minutes needed to talk with them on the phone.
Any ideas or anyone with experience with Denon customer service?
Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2008, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Nothing?
Anybody have experience dealing with Denon?
Old 06-06-2008, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm...nobody

I know Onkyo seems to be the brand of choice (which I'm thinking is the way I should've gone). Anyone know of any other forums with more of a Denon following?
Old 06-06-2008, 04:48 PM

Liked: 11
I had the same problem with my Denon 1908. I had a hard time getting hold of Denon. Finally I got ahold of them. I told them the nature of my problem. It was going into "protection mode". I made sure that none of the speaker wire were NOT touching or fraid. Keep in mind that I own this unit for almost 3 months. Finally they told me to send it in for service. So now I have to take time to drive it 2 Austin,TX for the repairers. I'm going 2 put it up for sell as soon as I get it fixed.

"I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am HE, ye shall die in your sins."

John 8:24 (King James Version)

PSN: IR_dgjr
Old 06-06-2008, 06:17 PM

i just had the same problem with my 688. Just got it back from the shop today. I bought it on craigs list, so i had no warranty it cost about $150 CD to fix mine
Old 06-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Well, December is too long ago to expect CC to take care of it.

Assuming you've checked for any crossed wires (even just one strand) then doing the cpu reset is really your only option. But your post isn't clear if you've actually done that or not? Definitely try it. The procedure is simple but it's buried in the manual and the button sequence is slightly different generation from generation so I can't recite it for sure.

Denon service isn't particularly good or bad. You'll be without the amp for some time, but it'll get fixed.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies fellas.
Yes, I have disconnected everything, set in a wide open area with plenty of ventilation and done the cpu reset but it still does the same thing.
It is under the Denon 1 yr warranty, and from what I've read should be fixed for free minus postage...I hope. I've been calling over the last 3 days but just don't have 45 minutes at work to wait to talk to them. Tried leaving an email which didnt really get me anywhere either.I want to get this damn thing fixed, but want to talk to someone about it first, thats the frustrating part.
Wish I had bought the Onkyo 605 now...D'oh