Please help my Pioneer VSX-94TXH stops working - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 06-14-2008, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

My VSX-94txh stops responding after around 10 minutes maybe longer. It will not resond to the remote control commands. I tried turing it on and off with the button but it will not turn off. I have to unplug the unit for and around 5 minutes so it can start working again. This happens while I am watching comcast (HD with DVR) and my blu ray (Samsung BD-P1200). All are components are connected using HDMI with bose speakers. I thought it was the cable box so I tried connectiing it straight to the TV but it still freezes. My TV is a Sony KDS-50A2000.
Can someone please help.

Oh, I tried resetting the receiver, TV and cable box to default setting and still does not work. heat is not a factor because there is more than enough clearance for all vents.

I am still using my blu ray remote to control my player can using both remotes this create this issue?

Got this from Fotoconnection and it nerver work from day one. I called them and they said they would send a tech never heard from a tech or a follow up call from fotoconnection.. Not the greatest service
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-02-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josewebx View Post

Hello all,

My VSX-94txh stops responding after around 10 minutes maybe longer. It will not resond to the remote control commands. I tried turing it on and off with the button but it will not turn off. I have to unplug the unit for and around 5 minutes so it can start working again. This happens while I am watching comcast (HD with DVR) and my blu ray (Samsung BD-P1200). All are components are connected using HDMI with bose speakers. I thought it was the cable box so I tried connectiing it straight to the TV but it still freezes. My TV is a Sony KDS-50A2000.
Can someone please help.

Oh, I tried resetting the receiver, TV and cable box to default setting and still does not work. heat is not a factor because there is more than enough clearance for all vents.

I am still using my blu ray remote to control my player can using both remotes this create this issue?

Got this from Fotoconnection and it nerver work from day one. I called them and they said they would send a tech never heard from a tech or a follow up call from fotoconnection.. Not the greatest service
Thanks in advance.

I have the 94TXH since January 08 and it never failed me until now. If have the same lock up issue as you do. Pioneer.com tells me to reset the receiver.
I did that and it did not resolve it. My local dealer says it is an HDMI issue. Nope. My authorized repair serviceman says it may be bad speakears (i.e., inapporpriate impedence). Last night, I disconnected all the cables and let the thing sat idle and within 5 minutes, it locked up again.

This Saturday, I am bringing it in to the authorized service shop and let them fix it. You should do the same. It is a hard ware malfunction and has nothing to do with your devices.
post #3 of 21 Old 07-09-2008, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice elite_2009. Pioneer has gotten involve at this point. I will post the outcome.
post #4 of 21 Old 07-09-2008, 05:22 PM

There have been a couple of other people who have had this problem and have posted it on the 92 and 94 forum. Although it hasn't hit too many people yet I'm a bit nervous since I bought my receiver online.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-11-2008, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

R Miyashiro, please post any problems that you may experience with your 94. I am curious to see if this might be more of a pervasive problem with the 94.
Thx.
post #6 of 21 Old 07-13-2008, 12:34 AM

I do have the same problem. The receiver just locks up. I've to remove the power then reconnect it after 10 min. Initially I thought it might be due to heat issue. I removed all the other devices in the vicinity of this receiver and still it does the same thing. I'm planning to call Pioneer on monday. I see many other users also have similar issue.

If this is a manufacturing defect, then Pioneer has to give us proper answer. It feels bad that such an expensive unit has this kind of quality issue.
post #7 of 21 Old 07-13-2008, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Mine did the same thing last night. Arggg!

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

post #8 of 21 Old 07-28-2008, 07:11 PM

I got mine fixed. Took it in to an authorized Pioneer service shop, and they did the following:

(1) Diagnosed the unit
(2) Repaired a cold solder joint (guess like this was the issue causing the lockup)
(3) Upgraded the firmware.

Now it works fine.
post #9 of 21 Old 11-06-2008, 07:32 AM
TJ7

Liked: 11
I just had my 92txh fixed for the same issue.

(1) Diagnosed the unit
(2) Repaired a cold solder joint to a resistor on the digital board

I will receive the unit back next week and take pics if the reapaired joint is visible - in case other's want to do the repair themselves and save the $90.

Radio Shack Catalogue Archive 1939-2005

Does your system seem to have a mind of its own?
Turn HDMI Control OFF!!!
post #10 of 21 Old 11-06-2008, 09:47 AM

Liked: 16
So far i haven't had this problem with my pioneer 94 receiver. I guess i'm just lucky
post #11 of 21 Old 06-29-2009, 05:27 PM

hello
did anyone figured out where the problem is (which component and /or cluster needs to be repaired)
my 94txh is driving me nuts - when humidity is high i can't even turn it on
help please
post #12 of 21 Old 06-29-2009, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Get is repaired. You should have 2-year Elite warranty.
post #13 of 21 Old 08-04-2009, 09:31 PM

I'm in the same boat. My VSX-94TXH is so intermittent, I had no idea what was causing it until I read this forum. I initially thought it was heat or humidity, but even with fans blowing on it, or it being out of the tv stand, nothing seemed to be full proof.

I'm past the 1 year warranty for the elite, but some are stating that I have 2 years. Should I get it repaired, or should I contact the company I bought it from (5 year warranty) and see what they have to offer?
post #14 of 21 Old 08-06-2009, 02:10 PM

Turns out that my 5 year warranty is no more, due to the company going out of business. Just my luck. I contacted a repair center that's relatively close to my area, but they didn't seem very familiar with this problem, so I'm hesitant.

Can any of you give me a reference to where they successfully fixed yours, so that I can maybe ship mine out instead, to a service center that has dealt with this problem before?
post #15 of 21 Old 08-06-2009, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

All Pioneer Elite products have 2-year warranty, not 1-year. Just find a Pioneer service center locally and bring your receiver and your purchase invoice to them.
post #16 of 21 Old 08-06-2009, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

All Pioneer Elite products have 2-year warranty, not 1-year. Just find a Pioneer service center locally and bring your receiver and your purchase invoice to them.

They do - as long as it was bought from an authorized dealer. I would guess that DaMaN841 has no warranty from Pioneer.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #17 of 21 Old 08-06-2009, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

How do you know that? Sounds like he purchased from some local stores. I bought mine from Tweeter's and they later closed the door. That doesn't mean I don't get warranty service from Pioneer.
post #18 of 21 Old 08-06-2009, 11:42 PM

I'm fairly certain that the warranty is attached the the product at the date of purchase. Where you purchased from really doesn't matter. I happened to buy from a place called time2envy.com. Decent company, just unfortunate that the extended warranty company they dealt with closed their doors.

I contacted a service center called, Approved Audio Service, located in CT. Gonna bring my receiver to them over the weekend. Hopefully I'll have some good news to report next week
post #19 of 21 Old 08-07-2009, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMaN841 View Post

I'm fairly certain that the warranty is attached the the product at the date of purchase. Where you purchased from really doesn't matter.

Nope, not for Pioneer products (or Denon and a few other brands). No authorized dealer, no warranty. Good luck.
post #20 of 21 Old 09-24-2009, 10:13 PM

did you have repair tech thats who I had and they are gone! also I bought unit online from DT discounts there is a clause in there that says "FOR INQUIRIES ON A PRODUCT WARRANTY, PLEASE REFER TO THE MANUFACTURERS WEBSITE FOR A LIST OF AUTHORIZED DEALERS. WE MAKE NO CLAIM ON ANY PRODUCT'S WARRANTY IF IT IS NOT OFFERED TO NON AUTHORIZED RETAILERS." I think I have been had twice. bought the extended warranty just for such and occasion and they go belly up. Is there any recourse?
post #21 of 21 Old 10-30-2009, 01:47 AM

So I finally had time to make the long hour haul to bring my receiver to the "local" repair shop. Unfortunately for myself, since I purchased it online, at a retailer that wasn't exactly approved, I was not under the Pioneer Warranty. Naturally, I overlooked it as I do want my receiver in working order, and I did save a few bills by not buying retail, so it all evens out, hopefully. Subjective matters aside, it turns out that cold soldering (he called it resin or resonator) didn't actually work, and replacing the crystal may be rejected by the microprocessor, so it turns out that he's going to have to replace the entire motherboard for the mere cost of *cough* $330. He's claimed to have done this on 4 or 5 receivers of this type (fantastic model huh fellas), without any future problems so far, so I'm confident that it's a worthwhile investment.

I don't have the receiver back yet. The part comes in late November, early December, but that's worst case scenario, however, the things I've learned to pass my experience along is as follows:
Don't purchase expensive items online unless you are positive they are an approved retailer of that particular manufacturer.
Don't buy their warranty, regardless of how good it seems because it will most likely be out of business when you call upon it (Yes, this happened to me).
Don't buy from a manufacturer where you have to drive hours away to replace or repair the item on the off chance that it breaks.

Will keep you guys posted in case you're all still interested.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page