Sony STR-DA4400ES Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 220 Old 08-07-2009, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pule:

I, too, am on the fence between the STR-DA4400ES and the Pioneer SC-07. The biggest difference between them is the Warranty Period: 5 years (Sony) vs. 2 years
(Pioneer).

I generally lean toward Sony equipment because I find them much more logically laid out, functionally. Not to mention that Sony owns three (3) movie studios, therefore their equipment should process their movie video/audio more accurately (?).

Both the 4400ES and SC-07 are approaching the same price point, so that's not an issue. (I know many folks consider Sony to be the least desirable electronics brand for home theatre components. Oh well...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 220 Old 08-20-2009, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does anyone who has bought one of these recently know if the newer versions have fixed the 24p issue? I got a new PS3 this week, and noticed it was still having the unrecognized output white noise screen on my XBR4 until I disabled it.
post #183 of 220 Old 08-20-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordredKLB View Post

Does anyone who has bought one of these recently know if the newer versions have fixed the 24p issue? I got a new PS3 this week, and noticed it was still having the unrecognized output white noise screen on my XBR4 until I disabled it.

I have a problem where my XBOX 360 is plugged into a component spot, so i can use it on ZONE 2.

If I try to use it on ZONE 1 (main) my TV (Sharp 52D85U) flips out, and going blank then to white noise and just repeats till I can switch input and go back.
Once I go back to the correct input it works fine!! Its very odd and have not been able to figure it out.

Is that the problem you are talking about?????

-- Sal
post #184 of 220 Old 08-21-2009, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordredKLB View Post

Does anyone who has bought one of these recently know if the newer versions have fixed the 24p issue?...

I purchased one in May 2009, and it still has the 24p problem with the PS3.
post #185 of 220 Old 08-21-2009, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil0ne View Post

I have a problem where my XBOX 360 is plugged into a component spot, so i can use it on ZONE 2.

If I try to use it on ZONE 1 (main) my TV (Sharp 52D85U) flips out, and going blank then to white noise and just repeats till I can switch input and go back.
Once I go back to the correct input it works fine!! Its very odd and have not been able to figure it out.

Is that the problem you are talking about?????

-- Sal

No, but the problem I'm talking about manifests similarly. When connected with HDMI and the PS3 outputing 1080p24, the receiver doesn't connect properly to the TV, and I get a white noise screen with an Unsupported Output message at the bottom. Switching inputs and changing back sometimes fixes the problem, but usually I have to stop the BD and then press play again, although that doesn't always fix the problem, just has a better chance of working.

Sounds like Sony still doesn't have a handle on this. I need to call tech support, but I'm not expecting them to be able to do anything.
post #186 of 220 Old 09-14-2009, 09:25 PM

First-time post from a long-time lurker...

I have a 4400ES and I'm at my wit's end with a problem. I'm using optical out from my DirecTV receiver. Watching MNF on ESPN-HD right now...and nothing out of the center channel. Just changed the channel to Discovery HD...I'm back to 5.1. All is good. HOWEVER, it's fairly often that I'll watch something in 5.1, everything's fine...then nothing from the center channel. Completely inconsistent. Also lots of inconsistency with commercials. Some are silent (which is OK), for some the receiver switches to stereo, which makes sense, and some are in 5.1.

I've tried this with two different DTV receivers--same results. I've also used different optical inputs on the receiver. Same results. I've taken the receiver to a Sony repair center and they said all was fine.

Anyone else have a similar problem or have some ideas as to what could be the issue (myself or the receiver)? Next step is to call Sony tech support, I suppose...

Thanks in advance!
post #187 of 220 Old 09-18-2009, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I suspect it's the way ESPN is coding their 5.1 signal. For some reason, not all broadcasts use the center channel. I haven't watched MNF recently in 5.1, since the wife is usually sleeping in the room below. But, in the past, I have not been happy with the mix used by some stations. For these cases, I usually use one of the movie modes. See if that generates the center channel for you. I have B works well for sports.

The only real way to test this is to have someone else try the same program using a different receiver (both TV signal and home theater) and see what they get. I have a 4400ES and a Motorola cable box hooked up optically.
post #188 of 220 Old 09-23-2009, 06:52 AM

I have bars on my zone 2 component video device. I don't know how to get rid of it. It's just two bars going up the screen. One is red, the other is green. If I use composite then the hum bar is just white.

what can I do?!

At first I thought it was not there until I used my component connections. Now it is very noticeable. I thought maybe it's because the cable run is 25 feet, but really that's not an insane length. Whether it's cable tv, dvd player, ps3, or what not.... the hum bars appear on my video zone 2 device. (no hum bars on main source from any device)

I have tested about 3 different monitors(crt and lcd) and it does the same to all of them. So it's not the monitors or video sources.

When I get time I might post a link to a video to show what it looks like.

For now I ordered some thicker component cables to see if that solves it. I get the feeling it wont. EDIT(tried some rg6 cables, same problem)

thanks in advance.

note: I have the sony 4400es connected to a power conditioner. I connected the 2nd zone monitor to the conditioner my receiver uses, and same problem.

update: in the end all I could attribute the problems to is ground loops.
post #189 of 220 Old 09-23-2009, 05:20 PM

Add me as a new owner. Compared to my STR-DG820 it replaces, this 4400ES is AWESOME! I'm tickled to death. The audio is crisper and louder if I want to crank it. The GUI is wonderful. Similarity to the 820 was such that I was right at home. I don't need it as a multi-zone receiver, but for my one room HT I'm a happy man.
post #190 of 220 Old 09-25-2009, 01:57 PM

Yep just pick one up, I've now have owned The Big three. Onkyo 806, Hk 354 & now the Sony. A couple of 1st impressions.
1- This being the highest price unit no Volume or info on screen via HDMI (unless your using a component input) so that's a drag.
2- Runs out of steam a lot sooner than the Onkyo and HK.
3- Plus side it runs much cooler then the other two.
4- GUI is nice but not as easy to figure out how to resigns inputs as the other two units.
5- One real problem is keep getting error with auto calibration - say to much background noise even at dead of night ? So if anyone seen this one maybe you can help.
post #191 of 220 Old 09-26-2009, 10:37 AM

Ahh! I just got my receiver last night, and now, when I plug in composite video to video 1 or 2, there is no output! the HDMI inputs work just fine, I dont know what happened. I have the receiver outputting to an Epson Home cinema 6500UB projector, and the GUI works just fine as well. Does anybody have any similar problems or any insight as to what went wrong?
post #192 of 220 Old 09-26-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pule View Post

Ahh! I just got my receiver last night, and now, when I plug in composite video to video 1 or 2, there is no output! the HDMI inputs work just fine, I dont know what happened. I have the receiver outputting to an Epson Home cinema 6500UB projector, and the GUI works just fine as well. Does anybody have any similar problems or any insight as to what went wrong?

You need to be a bit clearer here. Composite 1 in to what out ? Composite or HDMI
post #193 of 220 Old 11-18-2009, 11:39 AM

I have the opportunity to purchase on of these for $750. Is that a good price vs. comparable receivers on the market today?
post #194 of 220 Old 11-18-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinachD View Post

I have the opportunity to purchase on of these for $750. Is that a good price vs. comparable receivers on the market today?

IF it comes with box, manual and accessories.

lowest price new http://www.universallcd.com/index.as...D&ProdID=34370
post #195 of 220 Old 11-18-2009, 04:08 PM

That is a good reasonably low price for a unit that is in good condition. Whether it is a good value compared to other receivers is very subjective. I've always been a Sony guy and I've never been unhappy because of it. Others wouldn't be caught dead with one. Mine does everything I need and IMO sounds great. YMMV.
post #196 of 220 Old 11-19-2009, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I concur. I have owned the unit for more than a year now and have never had an issue. The onscreen interface is simple and it sounds great with my 7.1 speaker set up. Sure there are better units, but I too am a "Sony guy" and am happy with this units price point.

Sony KDL46XBR2 :-o, Samsung SMT-H3270 HDDVR, Oppo BDP-95 (w/a Haier 7" HLT71), Sony BDP-S350, Emo UMC-1 & XPA-5,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 2 Polk T90e (surrounds),
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #197 of 220 Old 11-19-2009, 05:05 PM

It's been awhile since I've visited this thread. I have not bought this unit yet for a few reasons. More specifically, the humming sound some owners were claiming to hear at all volume levels and the receiver NOT being able to pass the 1080p/24 signal to a 1080p HD television. I'm glad to hear that a few people are not having this issue. Can you guys tell me if Sony has fixed this issue and who else out there is still having problems?
post #198 of 220 Old 11-30-2009, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the input. The model is brand new and is supposed to arrive this week. I received a discount on it because the 2400ES I purchased was defective and they did not have a replacement.

Hoping I won't have the issues that Audio5oh mentioned in his post.
post #199 of 220 Old 12-15-2009, 09:44 PM

the only humming I get is when I touch both contacts on the subwoofer cord while plugging it in
post #200 of 220 Old 01-09-2010, 02:37 PM

OK, so I'm looking at the manual today and now find that I can change the input used for pre-labelled devices. So instead of pressing HDMI1 for my sat receiver, I can press Sat and it switches to HDMI1. This is GREAT, but so far I cannot find the way to also set the audio to be HDMI1 as well. This seems like you shouldn't even have to set it, but, alas, HDMI anything is not a choice for audio and when I press Sat the video DOES go to HDMI1, but I have no audio. If you have the solution, please share. I'm still reading...
post #201 of 220 Old 02-27-2010, 09:09 AM

Is there an IR code that will activiate the dimmer? I like to have the display bright unless I'm watching a movie, where I like it to be all the way down. Idealy this code will be part of a macro. Thanks.
post #202 of 220 Old 03-14-2010, 10:40 AM

How are you guys liking the 4400ES? Im thinking about purchasing one to drive a 7.1 theater room system running Polk MOnitor 70s and output to a Epson 8500. DO you think this would be a good choice or should I be looking at a Onkyo or Denon?
post #203 of 220 Old 03-14-2010, 02:13 PM

I love mine. Never owned Onkyo or Denon, so couldn't say about those. There are SO many choices out there. I stuck with something I knew.

It baffles my why the BD input is a composite input and not HDMI. The UI allows you to remap the inputs so I can set HDMIx to be BD, but it does not let me get the audio from HDMI. Crazy. So my Blu-Ray is on HDMI2 and I push the HDMI2 button, and that's fine. If I want to use the receiver remote to control my Sony BD though, I have to mask the IR and press BD on the remote first. No biggie, but why they did it that way is a real mystery.

Also, I only use one zone, so I cannot say anything about multi-zone use.
post #204 of 220 Old 03-17-2010, 01:33 PM

They're now $600 from SonyStyle.com refurbished (limited qty).

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665491066

Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996
post #205 of 220 Old 03-18-2010, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsercs View Post

They're now $600 from SonyStyle.com refurbished (limited qty).

This week's special is actually for a new, not rebuilt, one. It's on clearance. includes a full 5 year warranty and no shipping charge.
post #206 of 220 Old 03-18-2010, 05:18 PM

Does that mean they're coming out with a 4500ES? I've not read anything about one.
post #207 of 220 Old 03-18-2010, 05:27 PM

I am thinking of buying this Sony 4400. I am a novice when it comes to these. I have no idea, so please forgive me if my questions sound stupid

My needs are specific. I would greatly appreciate

A. I would not be hooking this up to any speakers for now. Will this work with TV speakers?

B. I am mainly buying this for upscaling (upconverting) videos. Will this do that? I will be hooking all up in HDMI in to HDMI out.
1. I have the Sharp LED LE700 TV
2. I have Dish HD (VIP 722k)
3. Panasonic BD60 Bluray player
4. Gateway computer with HDMI

We watch a lot of videos (movies, sports) over the internet. When I connect even with HDMI my laptop to TV, the quality is not good. It also doesn't scale well. I have to use Zoom or Smart stretch which is ok but not great.

My question to the Gurus here is

If I buy this & hook the laptop thru this to TV, will my Picture quality (Upscale, upconvert) improve slightly, greatly?

Please help me out. Thanks in advance
post #208 of 220 Old 03-18-2010, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilla60 View Post

I am thinking of buying this Sony 4400. I am a novice when it comes to these. I have no idea, so please forgive me if my questions sound stupid

My needs are specific. I would greatly appreciate

A. I would not be hooking this up to any speakers for now. Will this work with TV speakers?

B. I am mainly buying this for upscaling (upconverting) videos. Will this do that? I will be hooking all up in HDMI in to HDMI out.
1. I have the Sharp LED LE700 TV
2. I have Dish HD (VIP 722k)
3. Panasonic BD60 Bluray player
4. Gateway computer with HDMI

We watch a lot of videos (movies, sports) over the internet. When I connect even with HDMI my laptop to TV, the quality is not good. It also doesn't scale well. I have to use Zoom or Smart stretch which is ok but not great.

My question to the Gurus here is

If I buy this & hook the laptop thru this to TV, will my Picture quality (Upscale, upconvert) improve slightly, greatly?

Please help me out. Thanks in advance

One, if you are using your TV speakers, you don't need a receiver.

Your TV probably upscales as well as a receiver would.

The problem with the internet content isn't the connection or the upscaling, it's the quality of the content. Streaming sports aren't to look like Blu Ray or HD content from your Dish box no matter what you do.

You don't need a $1500 reciever, even for $600, until you have some suitable speakers to use it with
post #209 of 220 Old 03-21-2010, 06:53 PM

My dish vip722 upscales to 1080i & TV doesn't (or at least I don't know how). I am not talking about crappy internet content here. We buy the sports packages (international) which are shown thru internet. If I have to buy those using DISH I have to spend a fortune. My specific question is this

A. If the dish vip 722 is hooked thru this (or any upscaling reciever) would the picture on my TV be 1080P instead of 1080i (or 720P etc)?

B. Would it upgrade my 480P internet video to 1080P (full screen) if hooked thru this (or any upscaling reciever).

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

One, if you are using your TV speakers, you don't need a receiver.

Your TV probably upscales as well as a receiver would.

The problem with the internet content isn't the connection or the upscaling, it's the quality of the content. Streaming sports aren't to look like Blu Ray or HD content from your Dish box no matter what you do.

You don't need a $1500 reciever, even for $600, until you have some suitable speakers to use it with

post #210 of 220 Old 03-22-2010, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilla60 View Post

My dish vip722 upscales to 1080i & TV doesn't (or at least I don't know how). I am not talking about crappy internet content here. We buy the sports packages (international) which are shown thru internet. If I have to buy those using DISH I have to spend a fortune. My specific question is this

A. If the dish vip 722 is hooked thru this (or any upscaling reciever) would the picture on my TV be 1080P instead of 1080i (or 720P etc)?

B. Would it upgrade my 480P internet video to 1080P (full screen) if hooked thru this (or any upscaling reciever).

Thanks

I suggest you read this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=14471641

Upscaling isn't going to change your standard definition internet sports feed into an HD broadcast. You're watching it in 1080p on your TV today. Your TV is doing the upscaling. It's just a question of which device does the upscaling better, and you might see a marginal difference in one compared to the other, but it's not going to look like HD from your Dish or Blu Ray regardless of what you do.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page