post #211 of 220 Old 04-21-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr781rider View Post

Does that mean they're coming out with a 4500ES? I've not read anything about one.

Nah the DA4400ES has been phased out...

The DA3500ES replaces both the DA3400ES and the DA4400ES. The main difference between the 3500ES and the 3400ES is that the the 3500ES adds a component video output to Zone 2 and adds an L/R stereo output pair to make Zone 3. I guess Sony figures that the zones make the 3500ES replace the 4400ES Of course we all know the 4400ES was a heavier/better built receiver than the 3400ES but that's the way it seems to be.

The DA5500ES seems to do the same for the 5400ES and 6400ES, given the 5500ES is now internet capable like the 6400ES was. This phases out the arguably overpriced 6400. That's not as bad though considering the 5400 and 6400 were nearly the same receiver (like the 2400 and 3400). Only thing is the 5500 US version doesn't have H.A.T.S. like the 6400 had (though the Euro version of the 5500 apparently does have it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 220 Old 10-11-2010, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordredKLB View Post

NOTE: I'm now not sure if the following paragraph is correct. It might actually be a problem with the DVD player, or the Aspect setting on my TV.
Here's another problem I have. The 4400 stretches all 4:3 SD content to 16:9 1080p. There are no side bars and there doesn't appear to be anyway to even turn off the scaling. I can't even change the "Resolution" setting under Video Settings. The default is Auto, and it gives me a "You can't change this setting" message when I attempt to alter it. I'm probably missing something somewhere, but I dunno.

Is there a solution to this? I just picked up this receiver after my 777ES finally died this weekend and this issue is kind of a problem for me. Not everything we watch is in HD. We normally watch 4:3 content window boxed.

My workaround would be to hook up my HDMI switch box and feed all video through that but it defeats the purpose of buying a unit with six HDMI inputs.
post #213 of 220 Old 04-08-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 352
This is an old thread but maybe I'll get an answer. How do I get sd from directv upscaled to hd? Currently all is connected via Hdmi in and out. If I do component in and Hdmi out will the receiver upscale everything?
post #214 of 220 Old 11-21-2012, 06:48 PM

In case anyone is still following this thread I have a problem that can't solve.
AFD-AUTO setting is not working anymore...
No audio from rear speakers and the blue light no longer illuminating with the AFD auto setting
Settings-Surround- Soundfield Setup- AFD Auto
Anyone else experience this problem?
Any thoughts on what may be going wrong and how to fix it?
post #215 of 220 Old 11-21-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Newbee View Post

In case anyone is still following this thread I have a problem that can't solve.
AFD-AUTO setting is not working anymore...
No audio from rear speakers and the blue light no longer illuminating with the AFD auto setting
Settings-Surround- Soundfield Setup- AFD Auto
Anyone else experience this problem?
Any thoughts on what may be going wrong and how to fix it?
Isn't the blue light only illuminated with Dolby digital sources?
post #216 of 220 Old 11-23-2012, 02:12 PM

Thanks very much for the quick reply.
Its all very confusing to me.
You may very well be right that the "blue light" only illuminates when detecting Dolby digital sources.
Unfortunately, Sony customer service and Sony technical service in Laredo, Texas do a very poor job of understanding and explaining to the consumer how AFD works.
I've owned this receiver about 2 years and while watching TV with AFD auto setting, the light would appear.
Then, after switching from a recorded program from my Tivo back to live TV the light would not appear and no audio from rear speakers.
That's why I assumed the AFD auto function was and still is not working.
Finally, after reading an online comment on AVS forums, I changed my settings to AFD multi stereo so that my back speakers have audio.
I'm still unsure why the light would sporadically illuminate while watching live TV then not illuminate when switching from recorded TV back to live TV.
post #217 of 220 Old 11-24-2012, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

AFD Auto even switches to stereo too (mostly commercials I assume) correct? Wouldn't surprise me if you end up listening to stereo quite often since most stations still only broadcast in stereo. I've forever (YEARS) used Cinema Studio EX B (orange light is illuminated on right side of the display) just because it sounded the best to me and the description in the manual sounded good. The second reason sounds stupid, I can admit that smile.gif. However, about a week ago I changed it to Neo 6: Movie and so far like it better. All 7 surround channels are lit up, not just the empty boxes for the rears as with the B. I've noticed more content out of the surrounds in this mode too, but not to where it's unnatural or distracting. There's no shortage of choices, just play around with different ones and see what you like.
post #218 of 220 Old 11-24-2012, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Newbee View Post

Thanks very much for the quick reply.
Its all very confusing to me.
You may very well be right that the "blue light" only illuminates when detecting Dolby digital sources.
Unfortunately, Sony customer service and Sony technical service in Laredo, Texas do a very poor job of understanding and explaining to the consumer how AFD works.
I've owned this receiver about 2 years and while watching TV with AFD auto setting, the light would appear.
Then, after switching from a recorded program from my Tivo back to live TV the light would not appear and no audio from rear speakers.
That's why I assumed the AFD auto function was and still is not working.
Finally, after reading an online comment on AVS forums, I changed my settings to AFD multi stereo so that my back speakers have audio.
I'm still unsure why the light would sporadically illuminate while watching live TV then not illuminate when switching from recorded TV back to live TV.

The Blue LED indicates multi-channel audio (like DD / DTS 5.1). Analog stereo or DD 2.0 is not multi-channel audio.

I have an older Sony and when I leave a sound field on something like Dobly PL-2 (or DTS Neo or what ever), then PL-2 decoding is used for 2-channel content when AFD is selected. Multi-channel audio ignores that PL-2 setting, so all is well for all content unless you want to hear 2 channel stereo with no PL-2 decoding.

My CD player input is set to AFD with no soundfield like PL-2.

Sometimes my TV and Bluray input is set to the Cinema soundfield. Settings that I use change depending on content.
post #219 of 220 Old 11-25-2012, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

AFD Auto even switches to stereo too (mostly commercials I assume) correct? Wouldn't surprise me if you end up listening to stereo quite often since most stations still only broadcast in stereo. I've forever (YEARS) used Cinema Studio EX B (orange light is illuminated on right side of the display) just because it sounded the best to me and the description in the manual sounded good. The second reason sounds stupid, I can admit that smile.gif. However, about a week ago I changed it to Neo 6: Movie and so far like it better. All 7 surround channels are lit up, not just the empty boxes for the rears as with the B. I've noticed more content out of the surrounds in this mode too, but not to where it's unnatural or distracting. There's no shortage of choices, just play around with different ones and see what you like.

The Cinema modes are nice at times.

I also use PL-2 music for movies and TV. I set the width control in the optional PL-2 settings so the content sounds a bit wider than the PL-2 movie setting. I don't recall NEO6 having any optional adjustments, but there is a NEO6 music mode.
post #220 of 220 Old 11-25-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

The Cinema modes are nice at times.
I also use PL-2 music for movies and TV. I set the width control in the optional PL-2 settings so the content sounds a bit wider than the PL-2 movie setting. I don't recall NEO6 having any optional adjustments, but there is a NEO6 music mode.
Width Control? That's a new one to me. I thought all the surround settings were 'set and forget', I'll have to try that out. I've tried pl II on music and like it sometimes, but generally prefer stereo. Haven't really tried with tv/movies, but since I now know I can adjust perameters I'm gonna! Thanks for the tip.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page