New guy buying a receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-18-2008, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone!

I'm new here, and a bit green to the A/V world. I try to do as much research on a product as possible before purchasing, but unfortunately lately, I find myself strapped for time but also a bit lost in the audio world. I understand video pretty well, but for some reason grasping some of this audio stuff is beyond me.

In any case, I have, what I believe to be, a fairly simple question. I'm looking to purchase a new amp. I'm by no means an audiophile, I just want want something that works and sounds moderately decent. Right now my price range is about $200-300, but the cheaper the better. Also, something that has HDMI passthrough that accepts audio would be nice, but not 100% necessary.

Does anyone have any good suggestions? Not sure what other info I need to provide, but feel free to ask and I'll do my best to dig up what I need.

Thanks everyone!
Pablo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-18-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
In that range I would check used there are good deals out there with people constantly
upgrading.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-18-2008, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
If you want audio over HDMI for HD audio at that price you're probably going to have to go refurbished. Harman Kardon has factory refurbished receivers with full warranty for auction on ebay under the seller harmanaudio. You should be able to pick up a 247 around $225. Or maybe find the Onkyo 605 on closeout close to that. Those will be your best choices with HD audio.

Otherwise you have many choices from Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-18-2008, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I forgot to mention that I only need 5.1 right now, though 7.1 would probably be good for future upgrades.

I'm checking out the Harman Kardons right now.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-18-2008, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatpablo View Post

Oh, I forgot to mention that I only need 5.1 right now, though 7.1 would probably be good for future upgrades.

I'm checking out the Harman Kardons right now.

Industry niche dictates everything produced in last couple of years avr wise
will be 7.1.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-18-2008, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I just realized that most 7.1 receivers will probably be backwards compatible. Now, the HK 247 looks like a champ at it's price range. Anyone have any good suggestions for a decent sub? I'm looking to spend no more than $200 there, but again, the cheaper the better, but wanna maintain decent sound quality.

I really appreciate everyone's help so far.

EDIT: I was looking at this sub: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pr_product_top
post #7 of 7 Old 06-18-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatpablo View Post

Yeah, I just realized that most 7.1 receivers will probably be backwards compatible. Now, the HK 247 looks like a champ at it's price range. Anyone have any good suggestions for a decent sub? I'm looking to spend no more than $200 there, but again, the cheaper the better, but wanna maintain decent sound quality.

I really appreciate everyone's help so far.

EDIT: I was looking at this sub: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pr_product_top

Well this isn't the sub forum but with $200 + shipping my first choice would be the Bic H-100 from the ebay auctions using the make an offer option from the authorized sellers. 2nd would be the AV123 Xsub which is also an excellent sub but smaller and at < $200 shipped the Velodyne VX-10 can be found online which is a good choice for the price but won't go as low in the frequency range as either of the other choices nor have the headroom of the Bic. At this budget those are the only I'd recommend.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page