The Official VSX-1018AH-K Owners, Reviews, and Comments Thread! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
When using direct mode, does the receiver just display direct or will it actually display DTS HD or Dolby True HD or what ever sound mode is coming through?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 961
Buy.com doesn't have it in stock yet but the price is the best I've seen so far.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #93 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan94 View Post

ooo -- don't tempt me like that!

how do you know that?

Because it says so on some etailers sites.

Buzz

post #94 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Google says better price, tho temporarily out of stock.

http://www.buy.com/prod/av-receiver/...208111360.html
post #95 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har Katir View Post

Uh, yeah, like I said in post 96.....

I'm hoping for a July 2nd shipping date and all the rest of you guys get to be after me.

Buzz

post #96 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

That is not good! Guess that eliminates the 1018 from my list!

Yea, no auto leveling is an issue for me too. What's the point if it doesn't work in surround?

MPGXCVCD - What other ones are you looking at that have this feature? Do the elites?
post #97 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Another quick question- I was wondering if you are having any issue with audio/video synchronization, or if the player is 'smart' enough to resync after processing either of the streams. I'm guessing there's a manual delay option if there are problems, although I could see that being a little tedious...

"We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas." - Agnes Mona Flanders
post #98 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurran01 View Post

Yea, no auto leveling is an issue for me too. What's the point if it doesn't work in surround?

Yeah, my VSX-918V-K is the same, auto leveling in stereo mode only. Not a very useful feature.
post #99 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat71 View Post

Yeah, my VSX-918V-K is the same, auto leveling in stereo mode only. Not a very useful feature.

If that is what you look for you have to wait for the new Denons.
post #100 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:

If that is what you look for you have to wait for the new Denons.

Oy vey... when do they come out? They can't be the only new generation AVR's with this feature.

I would think this feature is a no brainer???
post #101 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
How is the upscaling?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, I7 3930K, 16GB, ASUS Rampage IV Formula
EVGA Signature Titan> 70 inch ELITE PRO-70X5FD
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

Controlling: Two CX7000ES's via MyMovies
post #102 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:

$461 delivered? Any idea if you can trust that price? Is it worth putting an order in now and see if they honor it?
post #103 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellerite View Post

$461 delivered? Any idea if you can trust that price? Is it worth putting an order in now and see if they honor it?

Pretty sure Buy.com is reliable. I haven't used them but know others who have had no problems with them.
post #104 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 10:58 AM

Buy.com is legit - I've purchased all kinds of things from them. The question is if that price will hold up when they actually get stock though.
post #105 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat71 View Post

Indeed this is very disappointing.
Geesh, I have a ten year old Sima AV switch (S-Video) that allows me to control the volume of commercials very effectively.
It's hard to believe that todays AV receivers do not have this function.
Especially with the onslaught of DD 5.1 broadcasts on HD channels which only seems to make the problem worse. I'm finding myself constantly changing volume on my old receiver.

It appears the new Elites also have what is called "ALC" which likely has the same constraints. I guess we will have to wait till August to see if this is the case.

- John
post #106 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurran01 View Post

Oy vey... when do they come out? They can't be the only new generation AVR's with this feature.

I would think this feature is a no brainer???

Most of them big names has already one out there and in this price range only a Denon
has a better promise to deliver come July.
post #107 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 11:02 AM

The auto-leveling is not a priority for me. My setup is a home theater. It is for movies. I don't really watch TV so commercials are not a problem. Maybe that's what the manufacturers anticipate their market to be - movie and audio buffs that also pipe some TV signals through it as an afterthought.
post #108 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzymaticRacer View Post

great news so far. Hopefully by the time the Hk 354 is available there will be some solid reviews of this receiver...

Just some advice based on a lot of past history with HK. Unless you're really into troubleshooting and dealing with quirks and things not working, I'd steer very clear of HK A/V receivers.

After being a huge fan of HK and owning the following HK receivers, 7200, 7300, 635, 745, 435, I had finally had enough. If you're reading HK threads, beware of all the "sunshine" comments from users such as Mcode, etc as they don't address all the downfalls and problems of HK receivers. Just my .02 in trying to save you from buyer's remorse.

This is why I'm looking at switching to Pioneer...

Sorry, back on topic. Has anyone been able to compare the advanced MCACC to the previous version? Anyone know the differences?

Half-knowledgeable but fully dangerous.
post #109 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillz564 View Post

Sorry, back on topic. Has anyone been able to compare the advanced MCACC to the previous version? Anyone know the differences?

Here is a review of Advanced MCACC that may be helpful:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...06-part-2.html

- John
post #110 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnowels View Post

The auto-leveling is not a priority for me. My setup is a home theater. It is for movies. I don't really watch TV so commercials are not a problem. Maybe that's what the manufacturers anticipate their market to be - movie and audio buffs that also pipe some TV signals through it as an afterthought.

Volume leveling is not just for loud analog commercials. It helps tremendously with movies.

If you have anyone in the house who is sensitive to loud volumes(Wife, Child, Neighbor, Dog,.etc) then Volume Leveling should be a priority. The dynamic range of True-HD and DTS-MA is huge. Low whispering is just that, VERY low. Loud explosions are just that, VERY LOUD. You will never find a happy volume with the new Blu-ray discs. It will always have parts that are too quiet and other parts that are too loud.

In comes volume leveling. If it is done properly then it will level all frequencies to a single volume level. It will not boost center channel or reduce Bass. It will just adjust all audio from every speaker to the same level. This is what Yamaha's new ADRC does and it does it for every digital signal(ie: optical input, co-axial input, HDMI input, DD, DTS, DD+, DTS-MA, LPCM,2 channel, 5.1, 7.1).

To take it even further the affect of ADRC is reduced as you increase the receiver's volume. As you get closer to reference levels the affect of ADRC is almost totally eliminated giving you the sound as it was originally recorded.

ADRC also does not affect analog signals which is great for me. If I want to totally and completely eliminate ADRC all I have to do is switch to the 7.1 analog inputs.

ADRC works perfectly and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. Now I can watch movies at night with the full frequency response from each speaker without worry about waking the family. And with one press of the volume button(or multi-channel analog button) I can listen to the full Glory of Lossless audio when the family goes out the door.
post #111 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanhacker View Post

That explanation sounds Really, Really good. This is a really nice receiver.
post #112 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 11:55 AM

last posting on this thread about it,
but i got a great deal with my distributor here in san jose, CA, below MSRP...
he has it in stock already, and is accepting orders. first come first serve. pm me if your interested.

back on track, its great that our op is doing his best to satisfy our thirst for this model. hopefully, we can see a quality product under sheeps clothing. (as mentioned in another thread, this is comparable to an elite model without the 'shine' of the external casing)...

also saw the ocd attached, thank you! hey, it aint THAT bad, considering that not all things that shine and shimmer are gold so to speak. at that price point, its moot to my opinion...
post #113 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

Volume leveling is not just for loud analog commercials. It helps tremendously with movies.

If you have anyone in the house who is sensitive to loud volumes(Wife, Child, Neighbor, Dog,.etc) then Volume Leveling should be a priority. The dynamic range of True-HD and DTS-MA is huge. Low whispering is just that, VERY low. Loud explosions are just that, VERY LOUD. You will never find a happy volume with the new Blu-ray discs. It will always have parts that are too quiet and other parts that are too loud.

In comes volume leveling. If it is done properly then it will level all frequencies to a single volume level. It will not boost center channel or reduce Bass. It will just adjust all audio from every speaker to the same level. This is what Yamaha's new ADRC does and it does it for every digital signal(ie: optical input, co-axial input, HDMI input, DD, DTS, DD+, DTS-MA, LPCM,2 channel, 5.1, 7.1).

To take it even further the affect of ADRC is reduced as you increase the receiver's volume. As you get closer to reference levels the affect of ADRC is almost totally eliminated giving you the sound as it was originally recorded.

ADRC also does not affect analog signals which is great for me. If I want to totally and completely eliminate ADRC all I have to do is switch to the 7.1 analog inputs.

ADRC works perfectly and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. Now I can watch movies at night with the full frequency response from each speaker without worry about waking the family. And with one press of the volume button(or multi-channel analog button) I can listen to the full Glory of Lossless audio when the family goes out the door.

Very interesting stuff. Thanks. I didn't realize it would compress the range on movies as well. However, if it has very lows and very louds, isn't that a mastering problem? When a movie is created, the sound mixer has to make sure that this does not occur, because in a movie theater, you obviously can't keep changing the volume depending on the part of the movie. So is it a problem with True-HD and DTS-MA that expands the dynamic range - thus changing what the director intended sound-wise? Or is this done intentionally for some reason when mastering the BD audio?
post #114 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Buy.com doesn't have it in stock yet but the price is the best I've seen so far.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Uh, yeah, like I said in post 96.....

I'm hoping for a July 2nd shipping date and all the rest of you guys get to be after me.

Buy.com is a reliable place. I've ordered many times from them for computer related stuff.

Unfortunately, I can't find Buy.com on Pioneer's authorized internet dealer list. That means if you buy from Buy.com, don't expect Pioneer to honor the warranty.
post #115 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
New and prospective owners,

I was browsing the manual for this receiver and it does have a Dynamic Range control function under the audio options. This should provide a type of "volume leveling" for movies and TV... although I don't know if it would work on commercials.

Owners - try using this setting and putting DRC to MAX and see how it affects the volume of movies and commercials. Please report back to us.

Thanks!
post #116 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Unfortunately, I can't find Buy.com on Pioneer's authorized internet dealer list. That means if you buy from Buy.com, don't expect Pioneer to honor the warranty.

I can't argue this because it might depend on the item. I get an extra year through Citi-Card, AND, I took a Pioneer product purchased on ebay with nothing more than a PayPal receipt and had no problem. I don't recall whether or not I had a Pioneer warranty card to go along with the purchase receipt but I very well may have.

Buzz

post #117 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Buy.com is a reliable place. I've ordered many times from them for computer related stuff.

I didn't think the non-Elite stuff needed to be from an authorized reseller.
post #118 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanhacker View Post

Thanks.

With a quick look, this seams similar to HK's current EZset/AutoEQ which did well when it worked. The benefit I see of HK's is that it will EQ the subwoofer as well where Advanced MCACC only goes down to 68hz. But that is what RABOS (Infinity) and other filters are for on subs.

Half-knowledgeable but fully dangerous.
post #119 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulims View Post

This is good news if true.

Often, with the exception of Sony, the high-line will need to be specifically bought from an Authorized Dealer for warranty coverage and the cheaper stuff is covered no matter what. Don't quote me on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.

Good luck to us all. I'm waiting for Newegg to start stocking the 1018, personally. They have the 1017 for $320, which is damn tempting in itself.
post #120 of 5914 Old 06-25-2008, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloof View Post

I didn't think the non-Elite stuff needed to be from an authorized reseller.

You can take the chance if you want. In my own experience, I've bought a Pioneer Dobly Wireless Headphone set which by no means is Elite line of high end stuff. The warranty card comes with it explicitly lists product must be purchased from authorized dealer or warranty is void.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page