The Official VSX-1018AH-K Owners, Reviews, and Comments Thread! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 5909 Old 06-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Member
 
cigga24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonfan2 View Post

"For those living near tweeter store, you have another option, the Pio VSX92TXH Elite is selling for << $700. Someone got BB to match the price too."

Not here in Illinois they wouldnt. absolutely
refused. Said it had to be a mistake...

I checked the online ad and this price wasnt listed. I'll call local store to verify then check BB tomorrow. I would like the 12V trigger and been waiting for a receiver since January.
cigga24 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 5909 Old 06-26-2008, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnowels View Post

However, if it has very lows and very louds, isn't that a mastering problem? When a movie is created, the sound mixer has to make sure that this does not occur, because in a movie theater, you obviously can't keep changing the volume depending on the part of the movie. So is it a problem with True-HD and DTS-MA that expands the dynamic range - thus changing what the director intended sound-wise? Or is this done intentionally for some reason when mastering the BD audio?

The codecs do not change the dynamic range of the content unless DRC is turned on, at which point it actually contains it.

When mastering for home video, we actually have to decrease the dynamic range most of the time. This is due to the difference in calibration levels (we calibrate the theaters for 85db for the mains, 82 for the surrounds and 89-91 for the sub/LFE.) In the home, all of the main channels are calibrated at 80db. As you can see, we actually have a greater dynamic range in the theatrical presentation.
FilmMixer is online now  
post #183 of 5909 Old 06-26-2008, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mpgxsvcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 5,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgoh0nk View Post

why doesn't your RX-V663 take HDMI audio and why does the vsx1018? thought HDMI's audio was standard... other than versions...

does your 4850 support 1.2,1.3,1.3a hdmi?

It does take HDMI audio from everything except the ATI video cards.

The 4850 is a 1.3a. However, DD-trueHD and DTS-MA are actually optional in 1.3a so it doesn't support those.

The problem is that HDMI is a standard and Yamaha or ATI did not adhere to it properly!
mpgxsvcd is offline  
post #184 of 5909 Old 06-26-2008, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mpgxsvcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 5,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

The codecs do not change the dynamic range of the content unless DRC is turned on, at which point it actually contains it.

When mastering for home video, we actually have to decrease the dynamic range most of the time. This is due to the difference in calibration levels (we calibrate the theaters for 85db for the mains, 82 for the surrounds and 89-91 for the sub/LFE.) In the home, all of the main channels are calibrated at 80db. As you can see, we actually have a greater dynamic range in the theatrical presentation.

I always thought we calibrated to 75db in the home?
mpgxsvcd is offline  
post #185 of 5909 Old 06-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Member
 
ndd05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080pixel View Post

For those living near tweeter store, you have another option, the Pio VSX92TXH Elite is selling for << $700. Someone got BB to match the price too.
http://www.tweeter.com/product/VSX92TXH.asp

oh boy...I've got a VSX-01 on pre-order for $565. I don't know if I should wait for it or try and jump on the 92 sale
ndd05 is offline  
post #186 of 5909 Old 06-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Member
 
rjardine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: East St Paul, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by meg39180 View Post

No HD Audio of this Pioneer right?

The Elite 92 will decode DD True HD and DTS MA thru the HDMI connection, provided your player is sending out bitstream.
rjardine is offline  
post #187 of 5909 Old 06-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Member
 
1080pixel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cigga24 View Post

I checked the online ad and this price wasnt listed. I'll call local store to verify then check BB tomorrow. I would like the 12V trigger and been waiting for a receiver since January.

Look at the $ on the lower right in the attached pix
LL
1080pixel is offline  
post #188 of 5909 Old 06-27-2008, 12:34 AM
Newbie
 
Psudoki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a BB employee and I have been looking in the system everyday for over 2 months wishing and waiting for this bad boy to be available! and its finally here! I ordered mine and it will be here next wed (July 2nd), Can't hardly wait. It will not be available in store until July 6th, but we have 181 in the warehouse, one of the two nation BB distribution centers (180 now since i bought one ^_^)

Its $649.99 retail

Here is the SKU: 8713788

All you have to do is walk in, go to any register, give them that # and they will ring u up. Then they order it from the warehouse and it will be delivered on the next truck. (Trucks come in wed and fri night) And if you buy it before Sat at 10pm (when they close) you should have it by July 3rd. (next Thurs) If u really want it I say act fast 180 ain't that much, I mean they will definitely get more, but not for at least 2 ish weeks. Hope that's been helpful ^_^

Also as a side note, I have been reading the manual, and stumbled upon some rather disappointing news, the receiver will only except PCM (32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 88.2 kHz and 96 kHz sampling frequencies) through HDMI, this info is found at the bottom of page 33 in the manual. This is important for audiophiles like myself who own a ps3. Because that means although the ps3 will support up to 7.1@ 192kHz/24 bit through HDMI, this receiver will not. Something to consider if you're an audiophile and want to take full advantage of the new blu-ray music concerts like this one

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=44488
Psudoki is offline  
post #189 of 5909 Old 06-27-2008, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
dazz87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psudoki View Post

I am a BB employee and I have been looking in the system everyday for over 2 months wishing and waiting for this bad boy to be available! and its finally here! I ordered mine and it will be here next wed (July 2nd), Can't hardly wait. It will not be available in store until July 6th, but we have 181 in the warehouse, one of the two nation BB distribution centers (180 now since i bought one ^_^)

Its $649.99 retail

Here is the SKU: 8713788


BB is smoking crack!!! charging more the MSRP??? I was planning on getting it at bestbuy but not at 649.99 even with the 10% coupon
dazz87 is offline  
post #190 of 5909 Old 06-27-2008, 01:14 AM
Newbie
 
Psudoki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz87 View Post

BB is smoking crack!!! charging more the MSRP??? I was planning on getting it at bestbuy but not at 649.99 even with the 10% coupon

not to flame you buddy but you'd be dumb not to with the 10% off coupon that brings the price to $584.99, which is $15 below MSRP.

And anyone out there who is looking for a new TV ($999 & up) if you purchase the receiver with it, you get $100 off (its called HD advantage) ask about it -_^
Psudoki is offline  
post #191 of 5909 Old 06-27-2008, 04:18 AM
Member
 
cigga24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psudoki View Post

not to flame you buddy but you'd be dumb not to with the 10% off coupon that brings the price to $584.99, which is $15 below MSRP.

And anyone out there who is looking for a new TV ($999 & up) if you purchase the receiver with it, you get $100 off (its called HD advantage) ask about it -_^

I was gonna try the 10% off coupon on the 1018 but i thought someone said BB changed the price back to 599. In any case i'm gonna still try the 92. I was in store earlier this week and they had one on demo and it was a beauty.
cigga24 is offline  
post #192 of 5909 Old 06-27-2008, 05:04 AM
Member
 
tiger3p's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone explain to me the difference between the 92 Elite and the VSX-1018? I currently have the 663 and i'm not happy with it. I have 2 more weeks of my 30 day trial.

Thanks!
tiger3p is offline  
post #193 of 5909 Old 06-27-2008, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
flabioh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lafayette, IN
Posts: 652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psudoki View Post

not to flame you buddy but you'd be dumb not to with the 10% off coupon that brings the price to $584.99, which is $15 below MSRP.

And anyone out there who is looking for a new TV ($999 & up) if you purchase the receiver with it, you get $100 off (its called HD advantage) ask about it -_^

Don't forget tax... which brings this back up again.
flabioh is offline  
post #194 of 5909 Old 06-27-2008, 05:25 AM
Senior Member
 
bdrex28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psudoki View Post

not to flame you buddy but you'd be dumb not to with the 10% off coupon that brings the price to $584.99, which is $15 below MSRP.

And anyone out there who is looking for a new TV ($999 & up) if you purchase the receiver with it, you get $100 off (its called HD advantage) ask about it -_^

The fact still remains, BB is being a bit ridiculous charging more than MSRP. Especially when others are at or below MSRP. I'm sure they'd match Pioneers price anyway.
bdrex28 is offline  
post #195 of 5909 Old 06-27-2008, 05:32 AM
Member
 
meg3020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vicksburg, MS 39180
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger3p View Post

Can someone explain to me the difference between the 92 Elite and the VSX-1018? I currently have the 663 and i'm not happy with it. I have 2 more weeks of my 30 day trial.

Thanks!

I second this, I want to know the major difference between this units. I'm tried of waiting for the release of the newer receivers.

New to Audio/Video
meg3020 is offline  
post #196 of 5909 Old 06-27-2008, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RMSko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Westfield, NJ 07090
Posts: 1,066
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

In comes volume leveling. If it is done properly then it will level all frequencies to a single volume level. It will not boost center channel or reduce Bass. It will just adjust all audio from every speaker to the same level. This is what Yamaha's new ADRC does and it does it for every digital signal(ie: optical input, co-axial input, HDMI input, DD, DTS, DD+, DTS-MA, LPCM,2 channel, 5.1, 7.1).

I presently have the Yamaha 2400 and am very happy with it, but if ADRC does as you say (even for commercials?), then I'd be very interested in upgrading. Which Yamaha would you recommend (I'd want one that would perform at least as well as the 2400)? I only have a 5.1 setup and don't expect to go to 7.1 b/c of the room size, although I don't know if that matters.

Rich S
TiVo since 1999
RMSko is offline  
post #197 of 5909 Old 06-27-2008, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
TDI Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
While I am not be any means defending BB, they are actually not charging more than MSRP. Pioneer's website says that MSRP is $599; however, that is really the MAP price for the unit. Actual MSRP, according to my dealer price sheet, is $699. BB did this last year as well with Pioneer components. For example, we had the VSX-817, 1017, and DV-400 for less than BB did because we were selling at MAP and they were at MSRP or somewhere in between. To further illustrate how Pioneer's website is screwed up pricing-wise, if you look at the Elite receiver prices, all of the VSX-9x series models reflect the actual full MSRP. Only the SC-07 is shown at its MAP price, whose MSRP is really $9k. Hope this clears up the confusion, and I do agree that it is pretty silly that BB charges more than what one can buy it straight from Pioneer for.

"What's better? A great 2D movie or the worst 3D movie?" - Stephen Colbert
TDI Driver is offline  
post #198 of 5909 Old 06-27-2008, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
flabioh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lafayette, IN
Posts: 652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Driver View Post

While I am not be any means defending BB, they are actually not charging more than MSRP. Pioneer's website says that MSRP is $599; however, that is really the MAP price for the unit. Actual MSRP, according to my dealer price sheet, is $699. BB did this last year as well with Pioneer components. For example, we had the VSX-817, 1017, and DV-400 for less than BB did because we were selling at MAP and they were at MSRP or somewhere in between. To further illustrate how Pioneer's website is screwed up pricing-wise, if you look at the Elite receiver prices, all of the VSX-9x series models reflect the actual full MSRP. Only the SC-07 is shown at its MAP price, whose MSRP is really $9k. Hope this clears up the confusion, and I do agree that it is pretty silly that BB charges more than what one can buy it straight from Pioneer for.

Will BB price match Pioneer.com?
flabioh is offline  
post #199 of 5909 Old 06-27-2008, 05:42 AM
Senior Member
 
bdrex28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by flabioh View Post

Will BB price match Pioneer.com?

They should, at least when I had the BB guy check the in-store date and I showed him the Pioneer price, he said he'd match it.
bdrex28 is offline  
post #200 of 5909 Old 06-27-2008, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mpgxsvcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 5,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSko View Post

I presently have the Yamaha 2400 and am very happy with it, but if ADRC does as you say (even for commercials?), then I'd be very interested in upgrading. Which Yamaha would you recommend (I'd want one that would perform at least as well as the 2400)? I only have a 5.1 setup and don't expect to go to 7.1 b/c of the room size, although I don't know if that matters.

Since, this is a Pioneer thread we should probably stick to Pioneer talk. Try the RX-V663 thread for info on ADRC.
mpgxsvcd is offline  
post #201 of 5909 Old 06-27-2008, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
TDI Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Agreed, they should match since it is a valid selling price direct from the manufacturer. However, that is a question only the posting BB reps around here can answer 100%. bdrex got confirmation from his local store, which is a good sign.

"What's better? A great 2D movie or the worst 3D movie?" - Stephen Colbert
TDI Driver is offline  
post #202 of 5909 Old 06-27-2008, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
flabioh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lafayette, IN
Posts: 652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any pics of the remote?
flabioh is offline  
post #203 of 5909 Old 06-27-2008, 06:07 AM
Senior Member
 
bdrex28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Driver View Post

Agreed, they should match since it is a valid selling price direct from the manufacturer. However, that is a question on the posting BB reps around here can answer 100%. bdrex got confirmation from his local store, which is a good sign.

The guys at my store are pretty lenient for some reason, I've had them match techdepot.com and other places. I got the techdepot match because an officedepot is next door and I can walk in there and get items from techdepot (which OD owns.)
bdrex28 is offline  
post #204 of 5909 Old 06-27-2008, 06:14 AM
Senior Member
 
mikelike2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Salem, VA
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger3p View Post

Can someone explain to me the difference between the 92 Elite and the VSX-1018? I currently have the 663 and i'm not happy with it. I have 2 more weeks of my 30 day trial.

Thanks!

I recently picked up a 92 at Tweeters for a fair price. I was seriously considering the 1018 and was awaiting its release. While I still believe the 1018 to be a fine receiver with lots of bang for the buck, I could not resist the 92. Here's why.

The 92 weights a good 10 lbs or so heavier than the 1018. I'm pretty sure this is due to a better amp section with larger power supplies. Also, I'm a sucker for good looks. The 92 simply looks far better than the 1018 mainly due to the front cover.

Granted, the 1018 has a USB port an some other new features the 92 does not have. The pluses on the 92 simply outweighed the new features on the 1018 for me.
Just my .02.
mikelike2 is offline  
post #205 of 5909 Old 06-27-2008, 06:30 AM
Member
 
charlie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by flabioh View Post

Will BB price match Pioneer.com?

you can try. my BB and CC usually only match local advertised prices, i.e. a sale flyer from the newspaper.
charlie22 is offline  
post #206 of 5909 Old 06-27-2008, 06:46 AM
Member
 
99RedSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone tell me what the 92 has that the 1018 doesn't besides a beefier amp section??

Zoom-Zoom
99RedSi is offline  
post #207 of 5909 Old 06-27-2008, 06:47 AM
Member
 
99RedSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndd05 View Post

oh boy...I've got a VSX-01 on pre-order for $565. I don't know if I should wait for it or try and jump on the 92 sale

Where do you have it pre-ordered for that price!? I'm interested!!

Zoom-Zoom
99RedSi is offline  
post #208 of 5909 Old 06-27-2008, 07:02 AM
Member
 
Har Katir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99RedSi View Post

Where do you have it pre-ordered for that price!? I'm interested!!

Most pre-ordered the 01 from Value Electronics but only if you live in or near NY NY.
Har Katir is offline  
post #209 of 5909 Old 06-27-2008, 07:42 AM
Member
 
1080pixel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is a 92 owner thread that you can read more about the 92.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...909450&page=32

You can also look at these 2 links for comparison

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/po...002567a8c0RCRD



http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/po...003367a8c0RCRD
1080pixel is offline  
post #210 of 5909 Old 06-27-2008, 08:04 AM
Member
 
99RedSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080pixel View Post

There is a 92 owner thread that you can read more about the 92.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...909450&page=32

You can also look at these 2 links for comparison

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/po...002567a8c0RCRD



http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/po...003367a8c0RCRD

No native iPod support is a deal breaker for me since this is going in my main living space. I want iPod support and not just some hook-up to the back, which I could do with any old receiver .

Zoom-Zoom
99RedSi is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off