The Official VSX-1018AH-K Owners, Reviews, and Comments Thread! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5908 Old 06-23-2008, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is the start to all the fun and exciement that has been building. Owners, please posts thoughts, comments and reviews on this unit. Mine should be here any second and I'll update this post with my initial thoughts tonight, and a MUCH more in depth review tomorrow night!

OK GOT IT!!

To clarify power. Continuous Power Output from 20hz to 20khz at 8ohms is 110watts.
That is the real number that we are all concerned about....

Just hooked up the speakers and quickly dialed them in to reference levels.

Popped in Cloverfield and used PURE DIRECT and let me tell you this was simply amazing.

On Screen controls are not flashy, but they are very clear cut and easy to use. There are a lot of sound options on this unit and I'm going to have to play with it and read more to determine which to use for BluRay and TV watching. I am betting PURE DIRECT is the way to go since it probably just lets the unaltered audio go right through without over processing it. But I might have to play with Direct and see how the auto calibration does. Also there is a HIBIT setting which I have to investigate more about.

Looks wise this thing is very good looking. As well built as my 1014, but the 1018 doesn't have that nice front flap....they leave that for the Elites now.

3 HDMI in and 1 out as we thought.

Sorry this is short but I have to shower and go out with the lady tonight. Tomorrow night I have all night to play and discover and I'll give more information then. I will also answer any questions that I can.

So far...I'm impressed and 100% happy with this unit!

ps....mine is stamped on the back with a MAY 2008 production! Interesting huh!

Ok I am back.

From what I have tested the Auto Calibration is very near PERFECT in my room. I checked with my handy SPL meter and everything was within 1db of being spot on...Impressive.

Also...DIRECT seems to be the way to go. From my reading and understanding DIRECT gives you the direct feed of the audio track and then applies the speaker calibration and set up without altering the signal any more than that.

PURE DIRECT turns EVERYTHING off and just gives you the signal.....Probably not what we Calibration nuts want to use.

So my vote is DIRECT listening mode for everything honestly.

BTB and WTW. Testing just with my PS3 and going from limited and full RGB and using SUPERWHITE on and off everything goes right through unaltered.

There is 100% a clear difference in the HD Audio vs standard. I hear it most in the effects, surround, background noises. It is the little details it seems to add where you wouldn't hear that with regular audio. Now this is only with some A/B comparison really quickly with a couple blu rays.

I will comment on HEAT after I watch a 2 hour movie at my reference volume. Then I will better know how it deals with heat when I push it hard.

I do have one question. TRUE HD vs Uncompressed PCM Isn't the PCM track "better"?

Update: I watched Spiderman 3 last night and the PCM track was stunning. More importantly the unit ran cool the entire time and I only have about 3 inches above, and 2 inches to each side. I put my hands all over it after the 2 hour and 20min movie at reference level volumes and it was a little warm but not even close to HOT!

Twitter @ Clefoodandbrews

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5908 Old 06-23-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillyjcu View Post

Here is the start to all the fun and exciement that has been building. Owners, please posts thoughts, comments and reviews on this unit. Mine should be here any second and I'll update this post with my initial thoughts tonight, and a MUCH more in depth review tomorrow night!

Excellent. I'm going to be purchasing this receiver soon, and I'm looking forward to hearing from everybody about their impressions.
post #3 of 5908 Old 06-23-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:

I'm really looking forward to the review!
can anyone offer any guidance on where to get one for the best price with the least amount of waiting?
post #4 of 5908 Old 06-23-2008, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

looking forward to hearing from everybody about their impressions.

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #5 of 5908 Old 06-23-2008, 03:49 PM

Finally the AH thread. Pictures please ...
post #6 of 5908 Old 06-23-2008, 03:52 PM

Would love to see some comparisons against the popular avrs in the forum like the HK 254, Yammie 663, and onkyo 605.
post #7 of 5908 Old 06-23-2008, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Sweet. Can't wait for more details
post #8 of 5908 Old 06-23-2008, 05:28 PM

post #9 of 5908 Old 06-23-2008, 05:42 PM

All eyes are on you man! I am dying to hear if A.L.C - Auto Level Control - works for ALL inputs ...
post #10 of 5908 Old 06-23-2008, 06:00 PM

Throw up some pictures
post #11 of 5908 Old 06-23-2008, 07:03 PM

Got mine today, only had time to hook it up. It sounds great, still have to fine tune and configure some inputs. I am very happy. Will do the blu-ray tests tomorrow.
post #12 of 5908 Old 06-23-2008, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Subscribed! Congrats to the new owners of this receiver. Can't wait for the reviews. I think I will be dumping my Sony 910 very soon or at least moving it to the bedroom.

Mike
post #13 of 5908 Old 06-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

I just want to know if you have all of you components hooked up through HDMI if the Auto-Level still works? If when a commercial comes on the sound is adjusted down?
post #14 of 5908 Old 06-23-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaavenger View Post

I just want to know if you have all of you components hooked up through HDMI if the Auto-Level still works? If when a commercial comes on the sound is adjusted down?

I sure hope so, I was watching the Discovery Special "when we left Earth" last night and man those commercials were like twice the level of the program.

Looking forward to this answer and all the others that will come up.
post #15 of 5908 Old 06-23-2008, 08:20 PM

I've done a partial setup of the system.

What I purchased it for: Home Theater 5.1 Surround
Connecting:
Tivo HD (Component)
XBox (Component)
Wii (Component)
DVD Player (Not yet connected)

I spent the evening connecting everything for which I had cables. (Need more HDMI cables!) Here's my initial thoughts:

- On Screen Menus are simple, but useful. I believe it makes the initial setup much easier
- Inputs are renamable! Connected Tivo to DVR1. When I press the corresponding button on the remote, the 1018 shows TiVo.
- Some inputs can be recombined. You can take any component input and match it with any optical input. Component 1 can match optical 2 or coax 1, for example; changes are made via on-screen menu. However, old RCA audio jacks cannot be moved; I connected my Wii via TV, RCA audio had to be in the TV audio inputs.
- All component inputs are being output via HDMI. Hooray for single cable to TV!
- On screen menu via HDMI replaces the video input. Once you leave the menu, HDMI handshaking occurs and the picture appears on the TV.
- Sound: So far, fantastic. Much better than my Pioneer. Need to run the auto-setup program to get a real sense, but I feel the range is much better; clearer highs, better lows.

One problem: There is a single line out of synch from the TiVo near the bottom of the screen; really only visible when a caption or banner is displayed on the TV, but you can see the the line of pixels is shifted to the left a bit. I need to see if it is the HDMI cable I am using, or if it is a problem with the component signal coming from the TiVo.

One small disappointment: According to the Pioneer website, the receiver is supposed to have 4 optical inputs. So far, I only found 3 (2 rear, 1 front.) Am I missing something?

Many, many settings to play with. I'll report back tomorrow night with an update. I can answer questions during the day, tho.

- Xebec -
post #16 of 5908 Old 06-23-2008, 08:25 PM

Cool, I'm happy for you guys...Can't wait to here more further in depth reviews. I am saving some scratch right now for the 01 because I want the 12v trigger mainly. But I'm convinced the two are basically identicle in the end. Keeping my fingers crossed that these units are solid like most other Pioneer receivers. I have the 1015 right now and I love it to death. I love it so much I honestly don't think I will ever sell it. But I need a reliable HDMI receiver and I'm hoping this will be the one....More pics and reviews soon please!

WAF factor? We don't need no stinkin WAF factor!!!

Proud Onkyo owner...If you can't stand the heat, get another receiver with a crappy amp section! =)
post #17 of 5908 Old 06-23-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xebec01 View Post

One small disappointment: According to the Pioneer website, the receiver is supposed to have 4 optical inputs. So far, I only found 3 (2 rear, 1 front.) Am I missing something?

They probably made a mistake and included the optical OUT as the 4th one.
post #18 of 5908 Old 06-23-2008, 08:44 PM

Silly superficial thing but I got to ask. Does the front inputs on the 1018 come with a cover with the urishi finish, or do they leave them naked? Never have been a big fan of seeing the front inputs on a receiver. Makes it look cheap imo, but I guess they are making people pay premium now for the front cover look.

And no offense to any new 1018 owner. I know the receiver is not cheap, I am just talking my personal preference on the looks of a receiver. Not ultimately the most important thing I know....

WAF factor? We don't need no stinkin WAF factor!!!

Proud Onkyo owner...If you can't stand the heat, get another receiver with a crappy amp section! =)
post #19 of 5908 Old 06-23-2008, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassMann View Post

Silly superficial thing but I got to ask. Does the front inputs on the 1018 come with a cover with the urishi finish, or do they leave them naked? Never have been a big fan of seeing the front inputs on a receiver. Makes it look cheap imo, but I guess they are making people pay premium now for the front cover look.

And no offense to any new 1018 owner. I know the receiver is not cheap, I am just talking my personal preference on the looks of a receiver. Not ultimately the most important thing I know....

I wondered the same thing to, they are naked. I don't see why more companies don't make covers for them and add 25 cents to the purchase price lol.
The only low to mid priced receivers I aware of that has them is HK and Marantz.
post #20 of 5908 Old 06-24-2008, 01:43 AM

Waited for this receiver patiently, and it arrived today.
Unfortunately my 71" Mitsubishi DLP HDTV has was is called auto-sensor circuit which will not lock on this receiver. I have used 2 Yamaha receivers since I got this TV and both just set up and never a problem.
The Pioneer 1018 receiver will not lock on. After the system has been turned off for about an hour (dinner time) the 'input' control on the TV does nothing - just stays on broadcast.
Called Mitsubishi and got no help since they say that circuit cannot be disabled.
After trying for seven hours - it is late here now. I am going to call Pioneer to see if it can be returned without loosing too much money.
Sorry about the bad news for some of you.
Apparently it is only my brand of TV that uses that circuit.
post #21 of 5908 Old 06-24-2008, 06:36 AM

Some pictures please! front and back. Screenshots of the menu system. I can't until it hits the shelves here in Toronto, I might be waiting a while longer though.
post #22 of 5908 Old 06-24-2008, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just hooked up the speakers and quickly dialed them in to reference levels.

Popped in Cloverfield and used PURE DIRECT and let me tell you this was simply amazing.

Ok, so I thought Pure Direct mode eliminates the video portion and only allows 2 channel analog audio? Please correct me if I am wrong. I don't have a Pioneer receiver so I am not sure how theirs works. However, that is how Yamaha's pure direct works.

So is Pure Direct really the best way to audition a surround sound movie? If it does allow digital surround sound in pure direct then that is cool. However, it wouldn't really be a pure direct mode if it does allow all of that processing to happen?
post #23 of 5908 Old 06-24-2008, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Congratulations to you lucky VSX-1018 owners! If you have a HD video camera with HDMI output how does it look and sound with your new receiver? Have fun !!!!
post #24 of 5908 Old 06-24-2008, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Also, how's the heat output? Mine's on the way, just curious how much space I'll end up having to give it to keep cool. Keep up the good work...
post #25 of 5908 Old 06-24-2008, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought for sure we'd have more info and pics by now.
post #26 of 5908 Old 06-24-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

Ok, so I thought Pure Direct mode eliminates the video portion and only allows 2 channel analog audio? Please correct me if I am wrong. I don't have a Pioneer receiver so I am not sure how theirs works. However, that is how Yamaha's pure direct works.

So is Pure Direct really the best way to audition a surround sound movie? If it does allow digital surround sound in pure direct then that is cool. However, it wouldn't really be a pure direct mode if it does allow all of that processing to happen?

it gives you the 'raw' signal, if its in stereo, then its in stereo, but for newer formats if its in dolby blah blah, or dts blah blah (sorry just woke up), then you get that signal.

in my older reciever, if its in 5.1 it will give you 5.1 without any mods to the sound, you DO have a choice to use the MCACC equalizer if ever for your speakers. but thats just about it.
post #27 of 5908 Old 06-24-2008, 10:33 AM

so, hows the osd on it btw early adopters?

nice?
chunky like the older models?
please tell me they at least look 4/10 (4 before the liquor, 10 after the beer)
post #28 of 5908 Old 06-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Tagging along. I'm still building my basement rec room so I'm not in any particular hurry, but I'm following the Pioneer, the STR-DG920 and the HK AVR254/354 at the moment.
post #29 of 5908 Old 06-24-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post

Tagging along. I'm still building my basement rec room so I'm not in any particular hurry, but I'm following the Pioneer, the STR-DG920 and the HK AVR254/354 at the moment.

Same here, except for the Sony.......they ticked me off with their CD/program ordeal. Yes I am also building my basement room as we speak.
post #30 of 5908 Old 06-24-2008, 11:06 AM

i'm going to pick up mine tonight.. i'm too impatient to wait for thorough reviews, i'll let you guys know what i think!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page