post #3031 of 4528 Old 08-20-2009, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck's Dad View Post

I didn't think you could do pass-through on the 254/354. I'd love it if you could.

According to the manual it can pass through untouched. On page 49 in the manual it reads:

Video Mode: The default setting of Processor Off passes the video signal through to the display without any processing. Select one of these processing options to optimize the picture for the current program by applying adjustments to the brightness, contrast, color and sharpness:

In the OSD go to Video Modes and select Processor Off - according to the manual. As with so many 'features' of these HK AVRs of late - YMMV

I have a 247 and have similar problems with the video processing. It refuses to upconvert s-video and composite to HDMI even though the manual says it can - and for a time did. I simply turned it on the other day and it decided I didn't need that feature from it any more.

I should have kept the Onkyo 506 I sold to my nephew.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 4528 Old 08-20-2009, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a refurb from HK's store on ebay and am so far very happy. I have an existing Apple universal dock for my iPod touch and it works fine through it, but I must use the Apple remote to control it. Does anyone know the codes to program the Apple remote onto the HK's?
thanks
post #3033 of 4528 Old 08-21-2009, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post

would an HDMI splitter work with the 354 and my BD player???, is anybody here using it, to get the video proccessing problem resolved?, just thinking

I tried the Monoprice 4x2 Matrix Switch.
I split the output with the HK 254 and a Pio Plasma.
I also connected the HK to the Plasma on a different HDMI input.
Could definitely tell the difference in picture quality between the 2.

Unfortunately, the Mono Switch uses the lowest common denominator for sound. If your TV is stereo
(and I don't know of any surround TV's but their might be) the switch will send stereo to the TV and the receiver.
Didn't matter which of the 2 outputs were used or even if the TV was on or off.
Only until I physically disconnected the HDMI cable from the TV, would it send surround sound to the HK.

Debatating whether to keep it or not, I found the switch has a real fondness for my Oppo DVD player and would not switch away from it.
Needless to say I sent it back and probably the HK also. That or start using component video and HDMI audio.

Monoprice has another 4x2 switch but it's not a true matrix (not important to me) but it's HDMI version 1.2 not 1.3.
If anyone tries it please post.

I came froma refurb Marantz 8001 receiver that had actual pass thru video and rarely had HDMI handshake issues.
The bad thing about it, is it died a month and a week out of warranty and Marantz ain't covering it.
post #3034 of 4528 Old 08-21-2009, 04:31 AM

So I just bought one of the refurb AVR 254 from the Harmon ebay store. I have one problem...none of the HDMI input works. I've tried all the hdmi inputs, different HDMI plugs, but still I get no audio or video. Also tried unplugging each source like in the manual and turning on the tv then the sources.Am I doing something wrong or do I have a defective unit? It has the latest 97.2.2 firmware and my ps3 is also up to date.

My setup:
I have the AVR 254
I have a sony dvd player connected to the 254 via component and optical
I have a wii connected to the 254 via component and RCA
I have a DVR Directv connected to the 254 svideo and rca
Then my HDMI products
PS3 connected to HDMI 1
WD Media Player connected to HDMI 2
I then have a HDMI ouput from the 254 connecting into the Samsung 50" PN50A550 1080P plasma with the HDMI input

Everything (Satellite, Wii, DVD player) works outputting to the tv except any of the HDMI inputs (PS3 and WD Media Player) I've tested each of these directly through the tv and they work fine. Is there something I have not done yet? Has anyone had this problem before? What is the exchange process like and how long does it take?
post #3035 of 4528 Old 08-21-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfarver View Post

It appears the Zone 2 "on" is not remembered when the receiver is turned off. That is, when turned back on, Zone 2, which was on when turned off, is no longer in the on position. Anyone else notice this.

Yes, and I like it this way. Don't want to blast the neighbors with late night movie FX
post #3036 of 4528 Old 08-21-2009, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

yea well I was thinking on getting a splitter and connect the BD to it then one HDMI cable to the reciever and the other to the TV, so I could use the receiver for the sound, but switch from hdmi 1(for the receiver), to hdmi 2 where the second hdmi cable is for the video, would'nt this work???, I mean I do it with hdmi and component, right now I have the HK sound , but the video comes from the hr20 box and it works like that.
post #3037 of 4528 Old 08-21-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight5272 View Post

So I just bought one of the refurb AVR 254 from the Harmon ebay store. I have one problem...none of the HDMI input works. I've tried all the hdmi inputs, different HDMI plugs, but still I get no audio or video. Also tried unplugging each source like in the manual and turning on the tv then the sources.Am I doing something wrong or do I have a defective unit? It has the latest 97.2.2 firmware and my ps3 is also up to date.

My setup:
I have the AVR 254
Then my HDMI products
PS3 connected to HDMI 1
I then have a HDMI ouput from the 254 connecting into the Samsung 50" PN50A550 1080P plasma with the HDMI input

Everything (Satellite, Wii, DVD player) works outputting to the tv except any of the HDMI inputs (PS3 and WD Media Player) I've tested each of these directly through the tv and they work fine. Is there something I have not done yet? Has anyone had this problem before? What is the exchange process like and how long does it take?

Have you tried setting up the sources and changing them to HDMI? AVR --> source setup --> select whatever input the PS3 is going to be and make sure the audio/video feed is whatever HDMI the PS3 is on.
post #3038 of 4528 Old 08-21-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight5272 View Post

My setup:
I have the AVR 254
Then my HDMI products
PS3 connected to HDMI 1

I assume you have changed the default input sources on the HK so they are pointing to the right audio/video sources. Example, if the PS3 is connected to the GAME input name, the defaults for GAME are Composite-1 video and Coax-1 audio. You should be able to confirm the input sources using the INFO button since you said the HDMI ouput seems to be working (right ?).

Anyway, that's all I can think of other than bad inputs although that would be unusual since the HDMI output is working but it is partially a different signal path - and the fact that a basic testing of the HDMI inputs is part of the re-certification process (doesn't mean it was done, however). Sory, I don't know anything about the return process although I'm sure others will jump in.
post #3039 of 4528 Old 08-21-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by |JuiceZ| View Post

I just spoke with an HK tech today inquiring about the status of the latest firmware being made available for download and he informed me that it was complete (which is obvious judging by the number of folks who have received refurb units with 97.2.2 preloaded) but said the delay was with their "downloader" software. Apparently they've tested and found its corrupting the firmware files so if they were to upload it now a small percentage of users would get a corrupt copy. He said I could send mine in and get a refurb unit with 97.2.2 loaded but I'd rather avoid the hassle and continue waiting. Its been over a year since the last update so what's a few more weeks *ahem* months.....

One can only wonder why they've failed to post this update. After all - the refurbished 254s are coming with the latest firmware. How do you suppose they are able to upgrade the firmware if the downloader program isn't working?

Do you really think the version they are using would be different than the one you would use?

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3040 of 4528 Old 08-21-2009, 10:44 AM

Yes I have tried changing the sources to point to HDMI but the tv shows no signal. It seems that the tv has a quick flash but doesnt get the feed. I'm pretty decent with AV stuff so the only thing I can really think of is either bad inputs or i didnt turn on the inputs other then pointing the ps3 to the hdmi which I did. Darn I was excited to watch some bluray in truehd this weekend too.
post #3041 of 4528 Old 08-21-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty913 View Post

I assume you have changed the default input sources on the HK so they are pointing to the right audio/video sources. Example, if the PS3 is connected to the GAME input name, the defaults for GAME are Composite-1 video and Coax-1 audio. You should be able to confirm the input sources using the INFO button since you said the HDMI ouput seems to be working (right ?).

Anyway, that's all I can think of other than bad inputs although that would be unusual since the HDMI output is working but it is partially a different signal path - and the fact that a basic testing of the HDMI inputs is part of the re-certification process (doesn't mean it was done, however). Sory, I don't know anything about the return process although I'm sure others will jump in.

Yes I did all the above and still no go WIth as many refurbs they have out I'm sure QC may have passed some things up getting them out the door. I hate to see it go since its not scratched or scuffed up but I want a working receiver. Thanks for the help.
post #3042 of 4528 Old 08-21-2009, 03:59 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo View Post

I tried the Monoprice 4x2 Matrix Switch.

Monoprice has another 4x2 switch but it's not a true matrix (not important to me) but it's HDMI version 1.2 not 1.3.
If anyone tries it please post.

My Monoprice tru-matrix 4x2 arrived today I hope it doesn't give me the same problems, I plan on having 1-output go to the AVR254 then on out to the First Vizio TV and the other output to go directly to the second Vizio TV, I'm going to be very annoyed if this gimps all my sound to Stereo.

Too many toys, not enough time.
post #3043 of 4528 Old 08-22-2009, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffindodd View Post

My Monoprice tru-matrix 4x2 arrived today I hope it doesn't give me the same problems, I plan on having 1-output go to the AVR254 then on out to the First Vizio TV and the other output to go directly to the second Vizio TV, I'm going to be very annoyed if this gimps all my sound to Stereo.

Please keep us posted. Hopefully I just got a bum unit.
post #3044 of 4528 Old 08-22-2009, 08:45 AM

when I do a ezsetup, it sets sub mode to off. Shouldnt it be LFE? Also on the back of my sub, it asks me for receiver type, Pro Logic or digital 5.1/6.1/7.1 receiver, which one do I select?
post #3045 of 4528 Old 08-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

who here is running their towers as large???, I hava some JBL L890's, that I set them small, but the 354 always sets them as large.
post #3046 of 4528 Old 08-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Does anybody knows when HK will come out with new avr models????, 2010??, I hope they fix the video passthrough thing over HDMI.
post #3047 of 4528 Old 08-22-2009, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Does anybody knows when HK will come out with new avr models????, 2010??, I hope they fix the video passthrough thing over HDMI.

New HK AVRs will ship in 2 weeks..
Official market introduction will be @ the CEDIA & IFA trade shows..

Just my $0.015...
post #3048 of 4528 Old 08-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

what are the models????
post #3049 of 4528 Old 08-23-2009, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
llep64, I set my towers to large just last night. (ezset had them crossed at 80 hz). What I did was find the specs for my speakers and then put that number into the manual set up crossover level. I also changed my center channel from "large" to a 60 hz c.over point. Haven't had much of a chance to listen to see how they sound as it was late-after 10 and I fell asleep--getting on in years, but they seem to sound OK/good for the little I have listened to them. I did not mess with the speaker balance the ezset used.

I also changed my sub from "present" to 15 inch and the sub mode to "lfe". I will listen to this for awhile and see if I like the sound.

So far, I'm really liking my 354 (nib)(have had it just around 3-4 weeks) and am still tweeking it a little now and then.

I think it has really helped my set up (although may just be all in my head--but that's OK--it's what the owner/listener likes, right?).

Frank, "Still the one"
post #3050 of 4528 Old 08-23-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadog View Post

when I do a ezsetup, it sets sub mode to off. Shouldnt it be LFE? Also on the back of my sub, it asks me for receiver type, Pro Logic or digital 5.1/6.1/7.1 receiver, which one do I select?

I noticed you haven't received an answer but I for one haven't run across a sub that asked you for a receiver type (speaker type, but not receiver). Just wondering what the brand/model was and whether is says anything about it in your manual. My guess would be digital obviously but not sure what the sub is trying to do with it. I assume you go into manual mode and set the sub to "present". Do you get sound out of it?
post #3051 of 4528 Old 08-23-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:

who here is running their towers as large???, I hava some JBL L890's, that I set them small, but the 354 always sets them as large.

I play around with it occasionally and have had mine set to large in the past (it detects them as large). Yesterday I reconfigured everything manually and watched a couple movies plus some music this morning. They are currently set to 60 with the center at 80 and the surrounds at 100. I have a 12" 300 watt sub. Sounds great, but then again it didn't sound bad before. I will say that depending on your environment and type speaker, manually setting everything may be the better way to go (instead of EZSet).
post #3052 of 4528 Old 08-23-2009, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you are using the single RCA (sub out) from your receiver it would be digital. The 5.1/6.1/7.1 selection should be of no concern to a sub unless you are using the line level inputs - the speaker wire inputs.

Quote:

The Ezset/Eq measures the low frequencies of your speakers and sets them accordingly. Room environment sometimes plays a part of the interaction with frequencies - some L890s may be set to small in a room with lots of sound absorbing surroundings. There is good reason to set your speakers to small - IF you have a better than average sub you can take some of the strain off the receiver and let the sub do the heavy (low frequency) work. The lower the frequency the more power it takes to reproduce sound.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3053 of 4528 Old 08-23-2009, 09:10 AM

In the first 60 pages or so of this thread that Ive read, Ive seen this mentioned maybe 2 or 3 times but the posters never really received any replies, so....

Just a little FYI for users of PS3 and H/K 254/354 - I was recently rereading the manual for the 354 and noticed a mention of PCM sampling rates in reference to the different surround sound modes. The manual doesn't mention any sample rates higher than 96Khz, so I went into the audio setup of the PS3 and deselected all sample rates above 96Khz. I now have access to ALL surround sound modes that were previously grayed out, I also no longer get the weird volume attenuation in the side surrounds when I play 2 channel music in Logic7. However, I currently do not own any Blu-rays encoded with HD sound tracks so I'm not sure if doing this adversely affects their play back.

H/K 354 w/ FW version 95.1.1
post #3054 of 4528 Old 08-23-2009, 09:20 AM

i get sound in both modes. When I run ezsetup now, it sets sub to present and I get sound from the sub. Does it matter if I set the sub to 12"(the actual size, its a H100). After going thru the sub's manual I am still not sure, if I need to set the sub's crossover frequency or not? On Cnet's subwoofer tuning guide;

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-9936409-47.html

it says to set sub's crossover to max and let receiver handle the crossover. Is that how it should be? The sub's manual says to put it at 100hz for smaal/bookshelf speakers.
post #3055 of 4528 Old 08-23-2009, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i get sound in both modes. When I run ezsetup now, it sets sub to present and I get sound from the sub. Does it matter if I set the sub to 12"(the actual size, its a H100). After going thru the sub's manual I am still not sure, if I need to set the sub's crossover frequency or not? On Cnet's subwoofer tuning guide;

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-9936409-47.html

it says to set sub's crossover to max and let receiver handle the crossover. Is that how it should be? The sub's manual says to put it at 100hz for smaal/bookshelf speakers.

I may have missed this in a prior post: what are your main L/R speakers? Post the specs on them if you can.

When you use the digital (coax - RCA) input most subs will deactivate its own internal crossover letting the receiver do the crossover settings. You will need to read your owners manual to find this out but I suspect it does just that - disables the internal crossover when using the coax-RCA connection. If you use the speaker level inputs then the crossover would be set to match your main front speaker's capabilities.

Setting the receiver setting to 12" sub seems trivial when you consider that some 10" subs can do-outdo many 12" and a few 15" subs but I'd set it at 12" and specify LFE for most speakers. Setting the front L & R speakers to small is the generally accepted setting for most speakers.

I cannot find anywhere in the manual where it specifies what adjustments are made when using any of the sub size settings.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3056 of 4528 Old 08-23-2009, 01:19 PM

my speakers are the Energy Take Classic 5.0. its setting my speaker's crossover levels to 60hz. So will the sub also have it at 60 then?
post #3057 of 4528 Old 08-23-2009, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

my speakers are the Energy Take Classic 5.0. its setting my speaker's crossover levels to 60hz. So will the sub also have it at 60 then?

Yes. The roll-off is a slope not a wall. Your speakers will still be putting out sound at 50hz - just not at the same level as at 60hz. The sub starts coming in at maybe 70-80hz and by 60hz is heard at the appropriate volume. So they cross over each other and blend in with each other. I don't know what HK builds in for the crossover slope. Its usually measured in db per octave - such as -12db or -10db per octave as an example.

Your speakers - according to the owner's manual states the FR from 110-20khz +or- 3db. You might want to bump the crossover up to around 80-90hz and see if that improves bass response. They roll off at 110hz at 3db so you might have a 'hole' in your mid-low bass area. The sub should easily pick up that slack.

Just wondering - did the HK Ezset set them at 60hz or did you?

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3058 of 4528 Old 08-23-2009, 06:01 PM

the ezsetup did it.
post #3059 of 4528 Old 08-23-2009, 06:51 PM

Hey guys can you recommend any replacements for the avr254 for me? My hdmi switching died tonight and after taking my devices back into the tv and seeing the crappy quality of the avr254 video I want to replace this pig. I want something that does not crush the living hell out of the video and sounds strong like the avr254. Any ideas?
post #3060 of 4528 Old 08-23-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikboy9 View Post

In the first 60 pages or so of this thread that Ive read, Ive seen this mentioned maybe 2 or 3 times but the posters never really received any replies, so....

Just a little FYI for users of PS3 and H/K 254/354 - I was recently rereading the manual for the 354 and noticed a mention of PCM sampling rates in reference to the different surround sound modes. The manual doesn't mention any sample rates higher than 96Khz, so I went into the audio setup of the PS3 and deselected all sample rates above 96Khz. I now have access to ALL surround sound modes that were previously grayed out, I also no longer get the weird volume attenuation in the side surrounds when I play 2 channel music in Logic7. However, I currently do not own any Blu-rays encoded with HD sound tracks so I'm not sure if doing this adversely affects their play back.

H/K 354 w/ FW version 95.1.1

Thanks for this. I've been looking for an answer to this for a couple days. Turns out today my 60GB PS3 died, so I'll be getting a slim that bitstreams Dolby HD, and DTS-MA anyways.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Harman Kardon

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page