Official Harman Kardon AVR 254 & 354 Owners Thread - Page 152 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #4531 of 4547 Old 04-28-2014, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdag View Post

I have a question about the use of Zone 2 on an AVR-254. Is there any way via the remote or directly on the receiver face itself to turn Zone 2 on and off?

So far, the only method I can find to control Zone 2 power is via the on-screen display. That is cumbersome, requires you to power on both the AVR and TV, and then navigate a couple of menus. I am hoping that there is a simpler way.

Thanks in advance.

jdag, On the bottom of the remote there is a toggle from zone1 to zone2. If you toggle it to zone 2 you can control it that way. Hope thats the answer you were looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4532 of 4547 Old 04-28-2014, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaZe76 View Post

jdag, On the bottom of the remote there is a toggle from zone1 to zone2. If you toggle it to zone 2 you can control it that way. Hope thats the answer you were looking for.

Not really. That switch just turns the remote into a Zone 2 controller. You still need to go into the menu system to actually turn on Zone 2 every time.
post #4533 of 4547 Old 04-28-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdag View Post

Not really. That switch just turns the remote into a Zone 2 controller. You still need to go into the menu system to actually turn on Zone 2 every time.

If you switch it to zone 2 then press the AVR power button on top it will turn it on and off...At least mine does.
post #4534 of 4547 Old 04-28-2014, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaZe76 View Post

If you switch it to zone 2 then press the AVR power button on top it will turn it on and off...At least mine does.

Thanks for the hint...that does work much more fluidly and I don't then have to power on the TV and navigate menus.

Now I just need to figure out how to program that into my Harmony.

Thanks!
post #4535 of 4547 Old 05-06-2014, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Got the AVR-254 for free last week and everything seems to be working - just some weird behavior

With all video processing turned off - there is some weirdness when i use HDMI
  1. Connected to my PC's Radeon 290X video card - initially i was directly connected to my Panasonic ST50 pixel format was RGB 4:4:4 Full Studio but connected to the AVF-254 first the blacks were extremely crushed. I had to switch the pixel format to YCrBr 4:2:2 (YCrBr 4:4:4 works as well, and Limited RGB) for it to look better. Does the AVR-254 not pass through HDMI video with processing off?
  2. Dragging a window from my primary monitor (1440p 120hz IPS) to my ST50, the window kind of gets 30% larger (outside of the resolution change) as soon as its dragged across - like it has mini zoom on the window only. Its hard to explain i might make a video of it. But this does not happen if my TV was connected directly to my PC

Another issue is with getting Surround to work - sometimes it goes into Stereo 2 Channel mode and when i hit the "Surround Mode" button the "Auto" option is disabled, cant change it. Does it not like it when i configure my speakers in Windows 8 to be 5.1/7.1?

Thanks
post #4536 of 4547 Old 05-06-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrolds View Post

Got the AVR-254 for free last week and everything seems to be working - just some weird behavior

With all video processing turned off - there is some weirdness when i use HDMI
  1. Connected to my PC's Radeon 290X video card - initially i was directly connected to my Panasonic ST50 pixel format was RGB 4:4:4 Full Studio but connected to the AVF-254 first the blacks were extremely crushed. I had to switch the pixel format to YCrBr 4:2:2 (YCrBr 4:4:4 works as well, and Limited RGB) for it to look better. Does the AVR-254 not pass through HDMI video with processing off?
  2. Dragging a window from my primary monitor (1440p 120hz IPS) to my ST50, the window kind of gets 30% larger (outside of the resolution change) as soon as its dragged across - like it has mini zoom on the window only. Its hard to explain i might make a video of it. But this does not happen if my TV was connected directly to my PC

Another issue is with getting Surround to work - sometimes it goes into Stereo 2 Channel mode and when i hit the "Surround Mode" button the "Auto" option is disabled, cant change it. Does it not like it when i configure my speakers in Windows 8 to be 5.1/7.1?

Thanks

Not sure if related but I've seen my AVR 254 completely ignore what I tell it on surround settings and sometime it winds up on NEO or that other virtual surround.

"When crazy is standard, sane needs a name tag."
post #4537 of 4547 Old 07-06-2014, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Any advice on programming the remote to work with the NAD T557 Blu-Ray player? The manual cites only one code for NAD, that's 062. Doesn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #4538 of 4547 Old 03-15-2015, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsleonardo View Post
Hi, service bulletins already been sent via email. Sorry for the late reply.
Where can service bullettins be found? Is it only for technicans? Thanks
post #4539 of 4547 Old 03-15-2015, 06:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdag View Post
I have a question about the use of Zone 2 on an AVR-254. Is there any way via the remote or directly on the receiver face itself to turn Zone 2 on and off?

So far, the only method I can find to control Zone 2 power is via the on-screen display. That is cumbersome, requires you to power on both the AVR and TV, and then navigate a couple of menus. I am hoping that there is a simpler way.

Thanks in advance.
That's the only way I know of.
post #4540 of 4547 Old 06-07-2015, 03:50 PM

Liked: 0
Hi Everyone,

I have a HK 254 that I am trying to stream music through from my phone, I have a Bluetooth adapter and it was fairly easy to connect to. The problem I am having is that the volume control is not controllable from my phone or the HK receiver itself.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

TIA
post #4541 of 4547 Old 07-03-2015, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I believe my HDMI board is blown. I have no video or audio; and the front panel controls quit do not respond.

I have attempted a firmware update, but it fails on the video update portion.

Does anybody know the part #, or where I can find it, for the HDMI board on the AVR-354 (US Version)?

Thanks in advance.
post #4542 of 4547 Old 07-18-2015, 05:20 PM

Nobody has any idea who might sell this part?
post #4543 of 4547 Old 07-20-2015, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmack500 View Post
I believe my HDMI board is blown. I have no video or audio; and the front panel controls quit do not respond.
That's not a blown HDMI board, and replacing the HDMI board won't fix it either. What you're experiencing is a very common issue with these receivers (search any of the threads about this receiver for "fuse" and you'll see what I mean). You have two bad encapsulated fuses on your power supply board. These fuses feed the front panel and HDMI boards. There was a factory recall to up them to a higher amperage rating to prevent them from blowing in normal usage, but even at this higher rating, they still blow often with minor power surges or heat, etc.

Thankfully the two fuses you need are very inexpensive, and if you're good with desoldering and soldering thru hole components, it's a fairly easy repair. If you're uncomfortable doing this repair, I'd be happy to do it for you (as well as any of the other service bulletins if your receiver hasn't had them done) for a fair price if you ship the receiver to me (I'm in NY). I've done this repair several times. PM me if you're interested.

Otherwise to do it yourself:

See my post here, which contains the exact part you need to order (you'll need two of them): Official Harman/Kardon AVR x54: Problems and Solutions Thread

Then see this service bulletin to see the two fuses that need to be changed and where they are: http://www.avsforum.com/attachments/9666

Harman Kardon AVR 254 ● Energy Connoisseur C-7 ● Epson PowerLite 8350 ● 100" DIY WA DW w/ 80/20 frame
post #4544 of 4547 Old 07-27-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protonus View Post
That's not a blown HDMI board, and replacing the HDMI board won't fix it either. What you're experiencing is a very common issue with these receivers (search any of the threads about this receiver for "fuse" and you'll see what I mean). You have two bad encapsulated fuses on your power supply board. These fuses feed the front panel and HDMI boards. There was a factory recall to up them to a higher amperage rating to prevent them from blowing in normal usage, but even at this higher rating, they still blow often with minor power surges or heat, etc.

Thankfully the two fuses you need are very inexpensive, and if you're good with desoldering and soldering thru hole components, it's a fairly easy repair. If you're uncomfortable doing this repair, I'd be happy to do it for you (as well as any of the other service bulletins if your receiver hasn't had them done) for a fair price if you ship the receiver to me (I'm in NY). I've done this repair several times. PM me if you're interested.

Otherwise to do it yourself:

See my post here, which contains the exact part you need to order (you'll need two of them): Official Harman/Kardon AVR x54: Problems and Solutions Thread

Then see this service bulletin to see the two fuses that need to be changed and where they are: http://www.avsforum.com/attachments/9666
Strange, thought I replied to this previously. At any rate, I took one of the fuses out and it's good. I'll remove the other one tomorrow, perhaps only one is bad?

Although I can check for continuity while the fuses are soldered in, there might be another electrical path they could follow while soldered in.
post #4545 of 4547 Old 07-29-2015, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmack500 View Post
Strange, thought I replied to this previously. At any rate, I took one of the fuses out and it's good. I'll remove the other one tomorrow, perhaps only one is bad?

Although I can check for continuity while the fuses are soldered in, there might be another electrical path they could follow while soldered in.
When I metered mine in circuit, they both read open. I suppose that you could have only one blown, or that they may meter differently for you, but I would be very surprised if this wasn't your issue. My receiver was factory refurbished and was already upgrade to the higher rated fuses, and they still blew. I think the overall design is flawed.

Harman Kardon AVR 254 ● Energy Connoisseur C-7 ● Epson PowerLite 8350 ● 100" DIY WA DW w/ 80/20 frame
post #4546 of 4547 Old 07-29-2015, 09:23 PM

Both fuses show good

Well, both fuses read good, so perhaps I've got a bad main board.

I asked HK for a list of authorized repair facilities, however the shops in my state claim they know nothing and one number is disconnected.

Anybody know of a good repair facility in the states I can send it in for repair?
post #4547 of 4547 Unread Today, 08:35 AM

Hello ! I repaired quite a few of these avr-254 and 354's in the past, and i'm i have 2 here that are stubborn. I mean, following the harman kardon service bulletin, replacing both fuses, then jumpering that little wire from the HDMI board, and then going thru the firmware upgrade, doesn't fix these 2; the last portion which is the video subsystem fails and it never goes thru. I think, that means it's a failed HDMI board, but i'm wondering what has failed on the board. Considering the boat load of Onkyo receivers that also failed from HDMI failures, it's the processor that goes on the boards, they overheat and then fail. Some people have success by reflowing, but that's just a bandaid, the problem is actually connections inside the chip itself that go bad. If you want to proove this, take one of the boards and just heat the chip way below the lead-free solder's melting point (so that the balls won't reflow at all under the chip) and you'll have it working.. for a while and then it fails again.

So i'm about to order and replace the main processor on these 2 (just to save them from land fill, they are not worth much...) they are about 10$ each on aliexpress. I just wondered, if anyone here did it and if it worked fine... Or not Thanks for any input on this !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Harman Kardon

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page