Official Harman Kardon AVR 254 & 354 Owners Thread - Page 48 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1411 of 4528 Old 12-20-2008, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to program my Samsung PN50A650 into my AVR and I can not seem to find the code. Does anyone know the remote code for the AVR254 for the Samsung PN50A650?

Thanks,

BD6675
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 4528 Old 12-20-2008, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzymaticRacer View Post

I can't remember if I asked this last time or not,

but to anyone who is using their AVR 254/354 with a Harmony Remote, what delay settings have you found to work great with your unit?

Mine Are
Power-On - 4000
Inter-Key - 0
Input Delay - 500
Inter-Device - 100

and I am still having problems getting my 354 to switch inputs after I power it on with my activities.

Thanks

Not sure if this will help or not, and I am relatively new to both items (HK 2mo and Harmony 1mo) but I have not made any adjustments past the default setup of components and activities on the remote. I have not had any issues with switching between acitivities and thus haven't explored any refinements to the delay parameters. My needs are simple though - Moto dvr cable box and hk dvd player in addition to an airport express audio in for streamed itunes - so I switch between cable/sat, dvd, and media center inputs almost exclusively, 2 of which are hdmi.
post #1413 of 4528 Old 12-20-2008, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

and I am still having problems getting my 354 to switch inputs after I power it on with my activities.

Selecting an input for the AVR also turns the unit on so you shouldn't need the Power On or any delays.
post #1414 of 4528 Old 12-20-2008, 09:12 PM

I have a question, my wife bought me the AVR 254 for Christmas (can't open and set up until Christmas morning) Can I use the EZ setup with microphone (or will it work) with only 5 speakers? (no powered subwoofer) Can't add one until we have extra money (means a long time :-(

Thank you and Happy Holidays.
Eddie
post #1415 of 4528 Old 12-20-2008, 09:23 PM

Hello all,

I finally have everything set up with the 354 I got a little over a month ago. There are only a few issues I've noticed thus far and was wondering if anyone had any input...I do have the newest firmware, by the way - I updated it last weekend.

1. When running HDMI from my DVR (Motorola) through the receiver for audio and video I get handshake issues when switching from HD to SD channels and vice-versa - sometimes the picture locks up and I still get audio, sometimes I get no audio and no video (black screen), sometimes I get half of a picture and no audio, etc. If I toggle sources on the receiver the issue is resolved, but this is an annoyance. I'm thinking that I can try a few different things to avoid it.
-First would be to run optical audio to the receiver and component directly to the TV.
-Option two would be to run optical audio to the receiver with HDMI to the TV.
-Third would be to run HDMI to the receiver (for audio only) and component to the TV.
Are any of these options no good or is one necessarily better than the others? I'm leaning towards #2...it will allow my wife to use the TV without having to mess with the receiver (one of her requests).

2. I also see occasional 'hiccups' in the audio and video that I suspect may be due to the DVR itself. When this happens, the audio cuts out and the picture freezes and becomes pixelated. It resets itself after 3 to 7 seconds, but it happens often enough that it is a major irritation (three to five times an hour ). Could this be the AVR? I guess I will figure it out if I run video directly to the TV...I really think it's got to be the DVR and was hoping for confirmation from someone who has had this issue.

3. When starting up a game in my Xbox 360 I don't get sound during the intro. I've really only tried Rock Band and Rock Band 2, but it really annoys me since I like the music in both of their intro videos. The sound comes back in a few seconds after the main menu comes up so it doesn't affect gameplay, but it is an annoyance.
I have the 360 hooked up via HDMI to the receiver, which is sending HDMI to the TV. Is this a timeout issue? I thought the timeout problems with HDMI connections had been resolved in the firmware update.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks!
post #1416 of 4528 Old 12-20-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundig2k View Post

I have a question, my wife bought me the AVR 254 for Christmas (can't open and set up until Christmas morning) Can I use the EZ setup with microphone (or will it work) with only 5 speakers? (no powered subwoofer) Can't add one until we have extra money (means a long time :-(

Eddie

I went through it with a 354 with no subwoofer so it is possible...the only options are 5.1 or 7.1 auto setup, though, so you have to run it as if you do have a sub. I don't recall exactly what happened but I think the AVR kept trying to find it and I don't think it ended up recognizing it was not present. I'm nearly positive that I had to go in and manually remove it from the configuration after the auto setup completed...but it did complete with no issues.
post #1417 of 4528 Old 12-20-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggerG View Post

I went through it with a 354 with no subwoofer so it is possible...the only options are 5.1 or 7.1 auto setup, though, so you have to run it as if you do have a sub. I don't recall exactly what happened but I think the AVR kept trying to find it and I don't think it ended up recognizing it was not present. I'm nearly positive that I had to go in and manually remove it from the configuration after the auto setup completed...but it did complete with no issues.

Thank you for your quick responce Greg, I can't wait for Christmas morning, I feel like a little kid again!!! Got my cable ready to do the firmware update before I hook everything up to it.

Take care
Eddie
post #1418 of 4528 Old 12-21-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggerG View Post

Hello all,

I finally have everything set up with the 354 I got a little over a month ago. There are only a few issues I've noticed thus far and was wondering if anyone had any input...I do have the newest firmware, by the way - I updated it last weekend.

1. When running HDMI from my DVR (Motorola) through the receiver for audio and video I get handshake issues when switching from HD to SD channels and vice-versa - sometimes the picture locks up and I still get audio, sometimes I get no audio and no video (black screen), sometimes I get half of a picture and no audio, etc. If I toggle sources on the receiver the issue is resolved, but this is an annoyance. I'm thinking that I can try a few different things to avoid it.
-First would be to run optical audio to the receiver and component directly to the TV.
-Option two would be to run optical audio to the receiver with HDMI to the TV.
-Third would be to run HDMI to the receiver (for audio only) and component to the TV.
Are any of these options no good or is one necessarily better than the others? I'm leaning towards #2...it will allow my wife to use the TV without having to mess with the receiver (one of her requests).

2. I also see occasional 'hiccups' in the audio and video that I suspect may be due to the DVR itself. When this happens, the audio cuts out and the picture freezes and becomes pixelated. It resets itself after 3 to 7 seconds, but it happens often enough that it is a major irritation (three to five times an hour ). Could this be the AVR? I guess I will figure it out if I run video directly to the TV...I really think it's got to be the DVR and was hoping for confirmation from someone who has had this issue.

3. When starting up a game in my Xbox 360 I don't get sound during the intro. I've really only tried Rock Band and Rock Band 2, but it really annoys me since I like the music in both of their intro videos. The sound comes back in a few seconds after the main menu comes up so it doesn't affect gameplay, but it is an annoyance.
I have the 360 hooked up via HDMI to the receiver, which is sending HDMI to the TV. Is this a timeout issue? I thought the timeout problems with HDMI connections had been resolved in the firmware update.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

Ok well I work for Comcast cable (stop yelling at me ) and the pixilation issue could be either the box or the cable. The Dvr's get really hot and if not ventilated good it will pixel ate. I to have a dvr and since the latest firmware upgrade the box and avr have worked better but every once and a while it may hiccup. You could either run component from the dvr to the avr and out Hdmi with optical for audio or if you're feeling frisky.....you can change the setting in the dvr to only output 1080i/720p that way there is no going back between HD and SD. If the dvr is on hit the cable button on your remote and then hit power and then hit the menu button. Scroll down to the 4:3 override switch it to off. Do not go into the HDMI setting it will screw the box up and you will need another one. You could change the output of the HD between 1080/720 etc. I hope this helps....
post #1419 of 4528 Old 12-21-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzsax4u View Post

Does anybody know definitively if I need to upgrade based on the different date I get?

16-5-2008 02

your firmware is not up to date, it's 49.1.1 so yes proceed with the update
post #1420 of 4528 Old 12-21-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundig2k View Post

Eddie

In addition to what is posted below. If you play DVD's with a LFE channel (bass for subwoofer) and don't have a sub connected, the AVR will send the LFE to your front speakers and defaults them to large setting. If your front speakers are too small to handle this then simply turn on the sub setting as if you have one even tho you don't. This will send the LFE to that channel and your fronts will be normal.
post #1421 of 4528 Old 12-21-2008, 04:08 PM

So with the problems sated thru out all these pages would you guys still buy this receiver?
post #1422 of 4528 Old 12-21-2008, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze View Post

So with the problems sated thru out all these pages would you guys still buy this receiver?

I did.

Twice...

I got rid of that POS Motorola HD-DVR I had from comcast before I bought the 354 the second time though. Actually, I got rid of that POS Comcast entirely (no offense to Red Wolf or anything... but I hate that ******* company).

This second time around, I'm extremely happy, and have yet to do the update. Will do that sometime after Christmas, when I have the week off and my girlfriend doesn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

Selecting an input for the AVR also turns the unit on so you shouldn't need the Power On or any delays.

Does that not screw up the device state-tracking in the harmony? The One can only remember the device state if it is changed through selecting an activity or hitting the power off button... will the AVR still power down when I turn everything off if I don't tell it to turn the AVR on before selecting the input?
post #1423 of 4528 Old 12-22-2008, 01:27 AM

Have done the latest firmware update and fixed my issues with resolution choices.I can now pick 720 or 1080p .I was stuck with only 720 before update .
Everything sounds great ,The only thing I noticed last night while watching a Bd in the PS3 is the picture would get "grainy" in and out,very light ..This was on a remastered Under Seige Bd .Before that I watch Kingdom of Heaven Bd and no problem,Picture perfect.Could it be a bad Bd or a setting on the PS3?
Also I read a lot about BTW WTW .Is this got something to do with it?
post #1424 of 4528 Old 12-22-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucram65 View Post

I've had my 254 for a week now. I upgraded from a 247, which, aside from some quirks, I was generally satisfied with. Before I hooked it up I upgraded the firmware with a radioshack rs-232 serial cable and dell d610 laptop. No problems at all. This receiver is definitely a vast improvement over the 247. There are no handshake issues like I had with the 247 from time to time and the on-screen setup menus are much more detailed. In fact, the 247's on-screen menu is primitive in comparison. It's connected to a Vizio SV420XVT 120Hz TV. I've got a TivoHD, PS3, PS2, and Oppo dv917H 720p upconverting DVD player connected to it. With the 1080P upconversion standard def PQ is much improved over the 247. I had the Tivo set to upconvert everything to 1080i but with the receiver doing the 1080p upconversion I perceive a notable improvement. I would have to say also that sound quality is better too. I've had no issues with sound dropouts while playing games on the PS3. All of the major bugs have been squashed by the firmware updates, and I have not encountered any others. I'm completely satisfied with this receiver and would highly recommend it.

Thanks for the information and an unbiased and cogent review of the 254. Thats whats great about this forum. How do you like the Vizio XVT? They sell like hotcakes here in the Dallas area and couldn't find one to look at. I ended up buying the Sony 46V4100, which looks great on HD BD. I would have bought a Vizio had I been able to find one.
post #1425 of 4528 Old 12-22-2008, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi, I am considering buying the 254 for its Dolby Headphone capability. I plan to get a Dolby Headphone device to play XBox 360 and PS3 games. Can any 254/354 owner that uses Dolby Headphone to play video games comment on the setup? Thanks.
post #1426 of 4528 Old 12-22-2008, 11:13 AM

Hey all,

I am considering getting the AVR 354, over the Pioneer 918v-k. My one question is: HK calls it zone 2 - is that the equivalent of a/b speakers? I have 2 outdoor speakers on my deck, and would like the option to just run music out to those 2. Looking at the picture of the back panel, it looks like it only has 1 connection for zone 2, so I m very confused. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
post #1427 of 4528 Old 12-22-2008, 11:23 AM

I like my AVR354. But every time I turned on it and the TV, tried to play DVD (HK DVD 48) or Blue-ray (PS3) through it, there will be vertical lines on the TV (SONY XBR8). I have to turn off and restart the AVR354 a couple times, then the vertical lines will be gone.

Does any one have any suggestion?

Thanks
post #1428 of 4528 Old 12-22-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echos_ss View Post

I like my AVR354. But every time I turned on it and the TV, tried to play DVD (HK DVD 48) or Blue-ray (PS3) through it, there will be vertical lines on the TV (SONY XBR8). I have to turn off and restart the AVR354 a couple times, then the vertical lines will be gone.

Does any one have any suggestion?

Thanks

Have you performed the firmware update?

What cables are you using?

Are you having the AVR do any upscaling or signal processing?

Are you using the single HDMI-Out to connect all of your sources to your TV?

We can't make any suggestions until we get some more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurante View Post

Hey all,

I am considering getting the AVR 354, over the Pioneer 918v-k. My one question is: HK calls it zone 2 - is that the equivalent of a/b speakers? I have 2 outdoor speakers on my deck, and would like the option to just run music out to those 2. Looking at the picture of the back panel, it looks like it only has 1 connection for zone 2, so I m very confused. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Per page 32 of the manual, there are a couple ways you can do a zone2 setup. You can use the Surround-Back posts/pre-outs as Zone2 for the outdoor speakers, at the cost of only being able to run a 5.1 system in the main room, you can use the Zone2 output using analog interconnect cables and connect those to an external amp so that you can have Zone2 plus a 7.1 channel primary room, etc.
The only downside is that you can only use analog sources for the zone 2 speakers.
post #1429 of 4528 Old 12-22-2008, 11:45 AM

EnzymaticRacer,

Thank you for your reply.

1) Have you performed the firmware update?

Not yet.

2) What cables are you using?

High Speed HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified CL2 Rated (In-Wall Installation) Cable (24AWG) from monoprice.com (If I directly connected DVD 48 to TV to play DVDs, no this problem.)

3) Are you having the AVR do any upscaling or signal processing?

I am not sure for this part. But sometime I saw message on TV said doing upscaling (most likely from the AVR)

4) Are you using the single HDMI-Out to connect all of your sources to your TV?

Yes now. Just using one HDMI-out from AVR to TV.
post #1430 of 4528 Old 12-22-2008, 11:58 AM

I hate to post this but I'm tight for time on a sale running right now - but anyone have thoughts and comparisons of the pioneer 1018 and the h/k 254? I have these 2 plus a yamaha on my list that I need to chose from? I will only be running a 5.1 system with polks rear and celestions front to a front proj with a dvd, xbox and someday PS3 or blue ray.
post #1431 of 4528 Old 12-22-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:

Have you performed the firmware update?

What cables are you using?

Are you having the AVR do any upscaling or signal processing?

Are you using the single HDMI-Out to connect all of your sources to your TV?

We can't make any suggestions until we get some more information.

Per page 32 of the manual, there are a couple ways you can do a zone2 setup. You can use the Surround-Back posts/pre-outs as Zone2 for the outdoor speakers, at the cost of only being able to run a 5.1 system in the main room, you can use the Zone2 output using analog interconnect cables and connect those to an external amp so that you can have Zone2 plus a 7.1 channel primary room, etc.
The only downside is that you can only use analog sources for the zone 2 speakers.

I only plan on running 5.1 in my living room, so I can use the Back zone 2 for my deck. They are just plain vanilla outdoor speakers, so using those ports will work for me. Thanks for the quick response
post #1432 of 4528 Old 12-22-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echos_ss View Post

EnzymaticRacer,

Thank you for your reply.

1) Have you performed the firmware update?

Not yet.

2) What cables are you using?

High Speed HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified CL2 Rated (In-Wall Installation) Cable (24AWG) from monoprice.com (If I directly connected DVD 48 to TV to play DVDs, no this problem.)

3) Are you having the AVR do any upscaling or signal processing?

I am not sure for this part. But sometime I saw message on TV said doing upscaling (most likely from the AVR)

4) Are you using the single HDMI-Out to connect all of your sources to your TV?

Yes now. Just using one HDMI-out from AVR to TV.

Ok, I would definitely try to do the update first, but some other stuff to try in the meantime may help... Have you always had an AVR with this system, or is this your first? The reason I ask is because it would be helpful to know if you still have this behavior if you hook your devices up to the TV directly. If the problem goes away, then you most definitely will want to do the update. I use the same cables from monoprice, so they shouldn't be causing the issue as long as they still appear to be in good condition visually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze View Post

I hate to post this but I'm tight for time on a sale running right now - but anyone have thoughts and comparisons of the pioneer 1018 and the h/k 254? I have these 2 plus a yamaha on my list that I need to chose from? I will only be running a 5.1 system with polks rear and celestions front to a front proj with a dvd, xbox and someday PS3 or blue ray.

Honestly, all of those options will probably work... it will come down to subjective factors that we can't necessarily help you with. Sorry for the cop-out answer.
post #1433 of 4528 Old 12-22-2008, 01:31 PM

OK. I will do the updat.
This AVR is my third one.

Thank you.

Quote:

Ok, I would definitely try to do the update first, but some other stuff to try in the meantime may help... Have you always had an AVR with this system, or is this your first? The reason I ask is because it would be helpful to know if you still have this behavior if you hook your devices up to the TV directly. If the problem goes away, then you most definitely will want to do the update. I use the same cables from monoprice, so they shouldn't be causing the issue as long as they still appear to be in good condition visually...

Honestly, all of those options will probably work... it will come down to subjective factors that we can't necessarily help you with. Sorry for the cop-out answer.

post #1434 of 4528 Old 12-22-2008, 04:26 PM

Hey guys, my apologies if i was supposed to put this somewhere else but i need help as quickly as possible and was unable to locate this problem elsewhere in the forums.

So I upgrade my HK254 to the latest fw version as per hk's website, downloaded the software and everything appeared to go smoothly. When everything was done I hooked everything back up and I was unable to get any sound.

Cable HD-PVR--> spdif both coax and opt do not seem to work, the recvr reports no audio signal detected, when i try to run analogue to the recvr it detects the signal but no sound is produced

Computer -> spdif coax out not detected as a signal at the recvr

RECVR -> test tones to setup speakers don't even work

All the speaker connections are fine, I triple checked. And I tried every input on the recvr as far as spdif goes. Can anyone help me resolve this, it would be greatly appreciated! Merry Christmas,
post #1435 of 4528 Old 12-22-2008, 05:13 PM

I just finished upgrading the firmware in my AVR254 as well. When I hooked it back up I didn't have audio. Now I went into every menu several times and had a bit of trouble getting it all set back up. I've only had the AVR a few days so I'm not quite used to it yet.

I believe I got the audio back b/c the AVR defaulted the HDMI setting to HDMI 2 and I was using HDMI 1. When I switched both the video and audio over to HDMI 1, everything came back as normal and I could configure everything fine.

I also had issue with all my images being stretched to 16:9 even on standard def channels..this was very annoying. I resolved that(as best I can tell) by going into the Motorola PVR(DCT6416 III) setup menu(press power and then menu) and changing some settings in there. It was set to default everything to 16:9 so I changed it to 4:3 letterbox. Now my SD channels show up as 4:3 and my HD channels are 16:9 so that's good.

before I upgraded the firmware, the AVR was very glitchy as others have mentioned, sound/video lockups etc. I'll have to wait and see how the upgrade did. If it keeps happening, I may bring it back and get something else.
post #1436 of 4528 Old 12-22-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB in Big D View Post

Thanks for the information and an unbiased and cogent review of the 254. Thats whats great about this forum. How do you like the Vizio XVT? They sell like hotcakes here in the Dallas area and couldn't find one to look at. I ended up buying the Sony 46V4100, which looks great on HD BD. I would have bought a Vizio had I been able to find one.

Thanks! I have to say that I am very impressed with the XVT. It delivers a dynamite HD picture and SD detail is very good also. Of course, how good SD looks depends on the source. It has a pretty decent implementation of motion interpolation, which you will either love or hate. That depends on if you prefer the traditional flat appearance of film. I like to have the motion processing on. I like the lifelike appearance it produces. All of the reviews I have read have been generally positive, noting the excellent color reproduction in particular. Last review I read was in consumer reports, which recommends it. However, if you can find a Samsung 120Hz LCD for not much more I would go for it because of the better black levels. The last thing I would says about the XVT is that once it is properly calibrated the typical viewer will find very little, if anything, to quibble about.
post #1437 of 4528 Old 12-22-2008, 05:57 PM

i wish the solution was that simple for me, i have gone into the menus and selected the specific inputs as well as tried moving the cables to different ports, i am not getting signals nor is the avr processing analogue inputs.
post #1438 of 4528 Old 12-22-2008, 06:26 PM

well no worries, now my problem is hooking up a new PS3 to the new AVR254...both of which I have little experience in. The AVR doesn't see the PS3 at all...I power up the PS3 for the first time and I'm supposed to hit the PS button on the controller but nothing happens. Also the Audio from Source on the AVR says no input or somethign along those lines. aw well. back to the drawing board.
post #1439 of 4528 Old 12-22-2008, 06:36 PM

it's annoying my hk 146 worked so well but i just wanted a little more power, why is the better product so much crappier
post #1440 of 4528 Old 12-22-2008, 07:56 PM

Thought I would ask my question again as I got no responses before...

I've searched for answers to this, but have come up empty. I can't believe I'm the only one with this issue. Here is my system:

Samsung Plasma (50A530)
Bell ExpressVu 6100
Toshiba PRV (RD-SX35SU)
Pioneer DVD w/upconvert (DV-490V)
PlayStation 3
Harman Kardon AVR 354
Polk CSi A6 Center
Polk RTi10 Fronts
Polk M20 Rears
D-Box Sub
Harmony 880
Acoustic Research/Rocketfish cabling

When I change channels, I get a popping noise through the speakers. I always do all the updates and have the latest one. I find that when I turn the system on in the morning, there is no popping, but as the system warms up, it pops. It's not like the AVR is confined to a small space -- the is 2 inches to the left, two inches above, and 20 inches to the right. Anyone got any ideas or heard of any fixes?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Harman Kardon

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page