T2k

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by girdnerg View Post

It's not confusing. It's inconsistent.

No, it's not. It's different than others' - could be different design or could be a typo (unlikely because it's the same everywhere.)

Quote:

Of the six AVRs on the HK site, every other AVR, aside from the 354, has a different rating between the two specs. So I'm thinking one or other rating is incorrect since it doesn't follow the norm of the other five. It should read something like (60w X 7 and 75w X 2) or (75w X 7 and 90w X 2).

Why "should"? Because that's what you got use to with other mfrs?

Almost all other mfrs give you bloated performance settings, H/K does not. Almost all other mfrs use either the most cheapest, crappiest scaler chips (e.g Denon, Onkyo) - if the model scale at all - or the most expensive ones but H/K uses a (reportedly) higher-than-average one.

Quote:

Wouldn't be the first time a manual was wrong.

True.

Quote:

Either that or something in the 354's amp system is different from the others...which I highly doubt.

Quoting myself: why?

Quote:

I'm Just pointing out a possible mistake on HK's part.

I got it, I just don't see why it's such a deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4528 Old 07-11-2008, 03:47 PM

Liked: 10
I just ordered my AVR354. Seem like such a great receiver for the price. *crosses fingers*.

-Mike
post #183 of 4528 Old 07-11-2008, 03:50 PM

HELLO EVERYONE!!!!!

I am HAPPY to announce that after weeks and/or perhaps the last two months of anticipation, that Best Buy has decided to carry the Harman/Kardon AVR-354. They don't have any in yet as it is on backorder status. But the fact that they have it pictured on their website is encouraging. I knew that eventually, Best Buy would wake up and come to their collective senses. And now, it seems so that they have.

Don't believe me, you can check things out for yourself at "www.bestbuy.com".

Due to some other things that have came up in this week, I have orignially said that I was going to pull the trigger in a couple of weeks. Now, I am going to put off my pending purchase until 08/22/08. But I will be getting one. And now that Best Buy will be carrying it, I will be buying my unit from them as the appeal to get it serviced locally if any service issues come up has always been paramount to me.

But anyway...... as a heads up, go to www.bestbuy.com and check things out for yourself.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised.......... $799.00 (plus shipping if you get it shipped to your destination of choice........ but since I will be getting mine locally now, I will just go to the store and pick it up when it comes to the store).

Thanks....... and take care everyone.......

--chaskelljr2001--

Samsung PN42C450; Xfinity X1; Pioneer BDP-51FD; Harman/Kardon AVR-3600; Sennheiser HD-600; Panamax MR4000
post #184 of 4528 Old 07-11-2008, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

Why "should"? Because that's what you got use to with other mfrs?

Almost all other mfrs give you bloated performance settings, H/K does not.

Not other mfrs, he was comparing it to other HK's! I don't think other mfrs have anything to do with what he's asking about.

I think all he was saying that the ratings seemed curious because every other HK receiver followed one pattern, where the ratings for the 354 deviated from that pattern. Again, HK's pattern, not other mfrs.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #185 of 4528 Old 07-11-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaskelljr2001 View Post

HELLO EVERYONE!!!!!

I am HAPPY to announce that after weeks and/or perhaps the last two months of anticipation, that Best Buy has decided to carry the Harman/Kardon AVR-354. They don't have any in yet as it is on backorder status. But the fact that they have it pictured on their website is encouraging. I knew that eventually, Best Buy would wake up and come to their collective senses. And now, it seems so that they have.

Don't believe me, you can check things out for yourself at "www.bestbuy.com".

Due to some other things that have came up in this week, I have orignially said that I was going to pull the trigger in a couple of weeks. Now, I am going to put off my pending purchase until 08/22/08. But I will be getting one. And now that Best Buy will be carrying it, I will be buying my unit from them as the appeal to get it serviced locally if any service issues come up has always been paramount to me.

But anyway...... as a heads up, go to www.bestbuy.com and check things out for yourself.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised.......... $799.00 (plus shipping if you get it shipped to your destination of choice........ but since I will be getting mine locally now, I will just go to the store and pick it up when it comes to the store).

Thanks....... and take care everyone.......

--chaskelljr2001--

I was in Best Buy 5:00 CST and asked the Magnolia rep to check the BB warehouse for avail on both 254 & 354, BOTH ARE IN STOCK at the warehouse awaiting shipment to the stores. There was no release date to the stores but said he could order it for me from the warehouse and have it within 2-3 days.

Also I'm fairly new at the firmware update process could someone explain how I would get a firmware update for my HK354 if/when needed?
post #186 of 4528 Old 07-11-2008, 04:28 PM
T2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Not other mfrs, he was comparing it to other HK's! I don't think other mfrs have anything to do with what he's asking about.

I think all he was saying that the ratings seemed curious because every other HK receiver followed one pattern, where the ratings for the 354 deviated from that pattern. Again, HK's pattern, not other mfrs.

Ahh, you're right, I misunderstood it (I shouldn't stop for 30+ minutes to fix an entire hybrid/NAS/SAN network in the middle of a sentence, I guess.)
post #187 of 4528 Old 07-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_4_me View Post

I was in Best Buy 5:00 CST and asked the Magnolia rep to check the BB warehouse for avail on both 254 & 354, BOTH ARE IN STOCK at the warehouse awaiting shipment to the stores. There was no release date to the stores but said he could order it for me from the warehouse and have it within 2-3 days.

Also I'm fairly new at the firmware update process could someone explain how I would get a firmware update for my HK354 if/when needed?

Heh, that's awesome. I had them check earlier today and they told me they couldn't order one for me and there was nothing they could do until H/K approved for them to release it (which they said was going to be at the end of the month). So, I ordered a Pioneer 1018 instead and will have it on the 17th. I'll run it through its paces and then get the 254 and compare and keep whichever I like best.
post #188 of 4528 Old 07-11-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:

Logic 7 does NOT apply on anything above 2-ch audio on 254/255/354/355, period.

Wrong! Period.

Click .
post #189 of 4528 Old 07-11-2008, 05:56 PM
T2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Deuteronomy View Post

Wrong! Period.

See here.

That's irrelevant, you're talking about an already-7.1-ch source - since I was talking about extending to 7.1 sources "above 2-ch" I obviously meant non-7.1-ch (4.1-ch, 5.1-ch or 6.1-ch) sources.

But hey, if you're saying Logic7 works with 5.1-ch sources then, by all means, halleluja...
post #190 of 4528 Old 07-11-2008, 06:06 PM

Well, actually it does indeed.

Besides: The postings I read here about this leave the impression that the HK is not capable of applying any of the sound post-processing modes to multichannel PCM signals, and not just specifically unable to upconvert 5.1 to 7.1. I believe most people who are looking for that information want to know whether post-processing for multichannel PCM is possible at all, and only a few peope want to use 5.1 -> 7.1 upconversion specifically.

But it does both anyway.

Click
post #191 of 4528 Old 07-11-2008, 06:21 PM
T2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Deuteronomy View Post

Well, actually it does indeed.

Besides: The postings I read here about this leave the impression that the HK is not capable of applying any of the sound post-processing modes to multichannel PCM signals, and not just specifically unable to upconvert 5.1 to 7.1. I believe most people who are looking for that information want to know whether post-processing for multichannel PCM is possible at all, and only a few peope want to use 5.1 -> 7.1 upconversion specifically.

But it does both anyway.

Oops, another point, I thought it was about bitstreaming...

Now I am not only tired but also confused...

Is it...

...possible...

..that...

...ummm...
post #192 of 4528 Old 07-11-2008, 06:21 PM
T2k

...the unthinkable...

...that...

...M Code...
post #193 of 4528 Old 07-11-2008, 06:22 PM
T2k

...WAS WRONG???

post #194 of 4528 Old 07-11-2008, 07:35 PM

M-Code will have to subtract one cent from .03 cent to .02 cent as a penalty
post #195 of 4528 Old 07-11-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:

...WAS WRONG???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeonx View Post

M-Code will have to subtract one cent from .03 cent to .02 cent as a penalty

You two are killing me. I was cracking up reading the little dialogue thats been going back and forth on this thread today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaskelljr2001 View Post

HELLO EVERYONE!!!!!

--chaskelljr2001--

Hey buddy, not to burst your bubble, but the AVR 354 has been in our system for several weeks. Mr BB Sencore and I have been giving status updates on it for a while now. It was never online, so you're correct in stating that its new on bestbuy.com, but thats it.

As for my daily status update...semi good news. The status for the AVR 254 in the system for all stores changed to "Active" (previously every store in the company was listed as "Not Carried By Location") with an in-stock date of 7-28-08. But no warehouses I checked have them yet. So...I have a feeling that the Magnolia rep was pulling your leg to get a sale. Did he actually show you the RSS page with the inventory count? Otherwise I'm calling B.S.

Wanna make your Mac "teh snappy"? Visit MacRumors.com
post #196 of 4528 Old 07-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk11 View Post

You two are killing me. I was cracking up reading the little dialogue thats been going back and forth on this thread today.

Hey buddy, not to burst your bubble, but the AVR 354 has been in our system for several weeks. Mr BB Sencore and I have been giving status updates on it for a while now. It was never online, so you're correct in stating that its new on , but thats it.

As for my daily status update...semi good news. The status for the AVR 254 in the system for all stores changed to "Active" (previously every store in the company was listed as "Not Carried By Location") with an in-stock date of 7-28-08. But no warehouses I checked have them yet. So...I have a feeling that the Magnolia rep was pulling your leg to get a sale. Did he actually show you the RSS page with the inventory count? Otherwise I'm calling B.S.

That makes me feel better. At least I'll have 10 days to play with the Pio 1018 before the 254.
post #197 of 4528 Old 07-12-2008, 04:20 AM

Quote:

Oops, another point, I thought it was about bitstreaming...

Now I am not only tired but also confused...

Is it...

...possible...

..that...

...ummm...

... i was wrong? Ummm... well... yes...

Please see here for explanation. Sorry for any confusion this might have caused...
post #198 of 4528 Old 07-12-2008, 10:48 AM

Spoke with Magnolia rep again Sat am, he called the warehouse and if ordered they can have the 254/354 delivered to the store within 3-4 days.
post #199 of 4528 Old 07-12-2008, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

This is supposed to be an owners/issues thread. There is a 255/355 anticipation thread to discuss who is carrying these receivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_4_me View Post

Spoke with Magnolia rep again Sat am, he called the warehouse and if ordered they can have the 254/354 delivered to the store within 3-4 days.

Healthy skepticism is the best component for your HT
post #200 of 4528 Old 07-12-2008, 06:15 PM

they are available at many bbys now. My store does have them to order... All three models!

-Best Buy Retail-
post #201 of 4528 Old 07-12-2008, 06:42 PM

What's available at many best buy stores? These receivers sure aren't if that's what you mean. Every store in the DC area that I've been to says they won't even be carrying it yet alone have one in stock. I have managed to find 2 stores within 30 miles of me that do have a couple pio 1018's in stock though but I still have my heart set on the 254 even with its obvious BTB/WTW flaw. I'm in no hurry anyway for the most part so I'll wait for worstbuy to get them since nobody else locally is carrying HK.
post #202 of 4528 Old 07-13-2008, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:

...WAS WRONG???

Well..
Was M Code wrong or not..
I don't want my low credibility to go any lower..
We aren't as smart as some of these other HK full-time AVS posters..

Thanks..
Boys..

Just my $0.01..
post #203 of 4528 Old 07-13-2008, 01:27 PM

M Code, as I tell my wife, "you're right, you're right, you're always right"
post #204 of 4528 Old 07-13-2008, 07:07 PM

I just got the 254 and I am having some HDMI to DVI issues.

Equipment details
TV - Hitachi 50V500 (DVI input)
Cable - Scientific Atlanta (HDMI output)
DVD - Samsung DVD-V9700 (HDMI output).

I was able to hook up the cable box to the TV directly via an HDMI to DVI adapter and got a picture (before I hooked up the receiver). When I hook the cable box to the 254 via HMDI, I get no picture (snow). I also get no DVD picture (snow only but I can get sound) when connect the DVD player to the 254 via HDMI. Note I can view the 254 menus when DVD is selected.

Ideas?
post #205 of 4528 Old 07-13-2008, 09:45 PM

I can second what Mr. BB Sencore said. Our DC finally got them in. We are getting three 254's in on our next truck and one 354. Our DC has nearly 200 of each in stock now.

I'm so friggin excited. We're swapping out a Yamaha 663 for a 254 in our demo when it comes in. I can't wait...like I said, I want this receiver for my setup so I was just as anxious as you guys. If you guys have any questions about BBY or the 254/354 feel free to fire them my way. I'll see what I can do as far as answering them.

Wanna make your Mac "teh snappy"? Visit MacRumors.com
post #206 of 4528 Old 07-13-2008, 10:03 PM
T2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Well..
Was M Code wrong or not..
I don't want my low credibility to go any lower..
We aren't as smart as some of these other HK full-time AVS posters..

Thanks..
Boys..

Just my $0.01..

ROFLMAO

After all you turned out to be right so no need to worry...
post #207 of 4528 Old 07-13-2008, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by fickerdm View Post

Equipment details

I was able to hook up the cable box to the TV directly via an HDMI to DVI adapter and got a picture (before I hooked up the receiver). When I hook the cable box to the 254 via HMDI, I get no picture (snow). I also get no DVD picture (snow only but I can get sound) when connect the DVD player to the 254 via HDMI. Note I can view the 254 menus when DVD is selected.

Ideas?

Go through your settings and make sure you have the correct inputs selected for the devices you are using (In the setup menu). Also it is best to turn on the TV/FP first than the AVR then the source, this is so the HDMI handshake can hopefully synch up correctly, this goes for almost any AVR or Pre/Pro I have used so far with HDMI.
post #208 of 4528 Old 07-14-2008, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fickerdm View Post

Equipment details

Ideas?

I've experienced the same issues with the 354 and tried Garmin's cycling suggestions with no look. I can't even get through to technical support. Have you tried that? I assume those with HDMI TVs have no issues with handshake?
post #209 of 4528 Old 07-14-2008, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altecdell View Post

I've experienced the same issues with the 354 and tried Garmin's cycling suggestions with no look. I can't even get through to technical support. Have you tried that? I assume those with HDMI TVs have no issues with handshake?

I verified all inputs. I also tried the suggested order of powering on: TV/FP first than the AVR then the source. Still no picture. I will be contacting support today.
post #210 of 4528 Old 07-14-2008, 09:50 AM
mdv
AVS Special Member

Frys in San Marcos, CA has a few 254 and 354's. I picked up a 354 yesterday and hope to play with it tonight.

Mark
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Harman Kardon

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page