Old 07-29-2009, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

I upgraded from a 254 also. The 247 would not work with my DVI projector connection, but the 254 works fine. This is a good AVR and for the price I paid ($162 delivered) it is fantastic.

$162 Delivered..
You stole it...

Just my $0.025...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Dave View Post

The incoming signal to the receiver must be stereo for it to be able to process via many of the surround modes including DPL2x. This might display as the 2/0/.0.

If you are sending a Dolby Digital signal (5.1) from the source, then the receiver locks onto that with the 3/2/.1 display and the corresponding DD Suround. Same is essentially true for DTS.

Some of this has been explained more completely in either this thread or the other AVR-254 thread within the last few pages by others more well versed in this stuff than myself.

OK that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification!
Old 07-29-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

HDCP compliance is only mandatory for AACS-protected content. When I had the 254, and updated from 43.1.1 to 95.1.1, my 1080p output went away, with a non-HDCP compliant DVI Doctor between the AVR and the monitor. That was utterly unnecessary, to require HDCP compliance just to pass any signal.

Not to beat this to death, but the 254/354 passes HD DVDs & Blu-ray with no problem and every single HD/BD Disc is copy protected. They bear the same copy protection logo as the DVDs whose video fails to pass.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:58 PM

I got a refurbished 254 off of Ebay recently and I'm wondering if anybody else is having this problem.

When i watch a Blue Ray DVD and pause for several minutes, I hit the play button and I will still see the picture but won't have any sound. I have to switch the receiver to sat. mode and then back to dvd to get sound back. It seems that the receiver is losing the audio signal via my HDMI connection.

I currently am running all HDMI with a Samsung 1600 DVD player. Has this happened to you and do any of you have any advice to remedy this situation. When I emailed HK, the suggested that I do a reset which doesn't seem to make sense to me. Also, all of the firmware is up to date all the way around.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:08 PM

is there a setting in the 354 that keeps commercials the same volume as shows when watching dish tv?

the volume change on commercials is ridiculous.

please help
Old 07-29-2009, 10:23 PM

I have had a few glitches that I couldn't explain..

I wasn't able to get audio from my cable box, and the only way I got it to work was to shut everything down, and turn it back on again.

ALso, I've had some instances where the remote seems to go haywire, and when I press the component button to turn on my TV, it turns off the AVR.

Overall though, it has been great!
Old 07-30-2009, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by joquito View Post

Not to beat this to death, but the 254/354 passes HD DVDs & Blu-ray with no problem and every single HD/BD Disc is copy protected. They bear the same copy protection logo as the DVDs whose video fails to pass.

Do you have a non-HDCP-compliant monitor?

If so, are you using firmware .95.1.1? It might have been a bug introduced with that firmware.

BTW, what I meant is that no receiver should require HDCP compliance if content is not AACS-protected, like home-made blurays or a HTPC, or even PS3 or Xbox360 games.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

Do you have a non-HDCP-compliant monitor?

If so, are you using firmware .95.1.1? It might have been a bug introduced with that firmware.

BTW, what I meant is that no receiver should require HDCP compliance if content is not AACS-protected, like home-made blurays or a HTPC, or even PS3 or Xbox360 games.

This is all via component video, with .96.1.1 firmware. This just adds to my original comment that the 254/354's inability to output copy protected DVDs via component video is not necessary and therefore exclusive to HK.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
HDCP only applies to digital connections. There was an Image Constraint Token where if its flag is enabled, the AACS-protected content couldn't be output in high-def through analog, but that's not been applied yet. I think a couple of blurays have it "by mistake", but very unlikely. It has no bear whatsoever with DVD.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:35 AM

I just bought an AVR-254 and have a harmony remote. Was logitech able to help you with your issue of trying to set-up the harmony to run your zone 2 (outdoor speaker) set-up. I am trying to do the same thing. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

I upgraded from a 247 also. The 247 would not work with my DVI projector connection, but the 254 works fine. This is a good AVR and for the price I paid ($162 delivered) it is fantastic.

I went through three 247s before H/K gave me the upgrade option. They paid shipping both ways each time and were quick to respond to email.

The 254 seems to be working ok..popping sounds on the digital inputs are still there, but they occur less often and are much quieter when they do.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Displayport may be a good standard for PCs and excllant for HD video.
But what about audio and HD audio...
In the PC world, Is audio quality really important.
So now we are going to have to run 2 separate cables, 1 for HD video and 1 for HD audio while still including the HDCP validation required by the studio/content providers.

Maybe more thought has be done as Displayport to be consider as an HD video interface may be a step backward rather than going forward..

Just my $0.04...

M-Code....Sorry, I know this was a early post, but , I was reading about Pc cards/hdmi and had a quesiton. Got my 254 today and I said before this is an overkill for my pc and I know it, but it is actually a backup for my HT. (Or another one).

It appears everything works fine and is in new condition with 97.2.2 firmware. How does this work running hdmi from pc Graphics card to 254 and out to 2 speakers????

Does the monitor need to be included in this process?

If possible could you give some insight on avr settings?

Of course any comments welcome

Mucho thanks!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

when playing a disk, press info on the HK remote & check the "resolution from source". I'll bet the Blu-Ray will show 720p or 1080i and the DVD will show 480p. The 254 is just passing it along, honoring the don't upscale to component rule
Old 07-31-2009, 02:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
I was listening to cd playback on ps3 and with Logic 7 surround setting, sound level was changing during playback.

Anybody listening to mp3's/cd's from a ps3? What do you use for surround setting, stereo or dolby prologic II?
Old 07-31-2009, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is there any easy way to change inputs on the receiver itself? Remote is fine but as far as I can see too many buttons to push to get it work on the receiver itself. Especially if you are in a dark room!
Old 07-31-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmax2k1 View Post

Is there any easy way to change inputs on the receiver itself? Remote is fine but as far as I can see too many buttons to push to get it work on the receiver itself. Especially if you are in a dark room!

There is a "Source List" button. You then have to scroll up or down with the receiver's arrow keys until you get to the source you want. Then you press "OK".

My Harmony remote works wonderful with the 254.

Though I'm still waiting on the new FW (.97.2.2) to be downloadable.

And in regards to the upscaling over component to have issues with copy protected disks, I've had the same issues. SW EpII for example over component. Is limited to 480p for me....

Really? "Subwoofer" isn't in the AVSForum spell checker?

Old 07-31-2009, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Chemist View Post

There is a "Source List" button. You then have to scroll up or down with the receiver's arrow keys until you get to the source you want. Then you press "OK".

Yeah, that's what I said. Too many buttons for something simple. Earlier HK's just used the up and down arrows to cycle through. I think they got caught up in the GUI and made it too involved to do.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:16 AM

Does anyone have any theories/explanations for the price swings on the AVR 354? A few months back, a new 354 was pretty easy to find for <$600, but now some of the same places that were selling for <$600 are now back to selling them at full price, $799. However, it looks like you can still get a new 354 in the $500-$600 range from a few places.

At first I thought the low prices a few months back were an attempt to clear stock for a newer model, but now with prices back up I can't figure out why they'd discount it that much. In that lower price range, software bugs aside, there's not much with comparable/better specs, except for the number of HDMI ins and wattage (if you're not aware of HK's conservative estimates).

Any thoughts? Just curious.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

when playing a disk, press info on the HK remote & check the "resolution from source". I'll bet the Blu-Ray will show 720p or 1080i and the DVD will show 480p. The 254 is just passing it along, honoring the don't upscale to component rule

This discussion is starting to backtrack so I will leave it at this. HK is a small player in the AVR market, so why would HK feel pressure to implement such a silly feature, when AVR manufacturers with much greater market share do not? The passing of HD/BD content proves it is not ICT, and HK's exclusive feature of not passing copy protected DVD video over component is suffice evidence that there is no "Rule". If your display requires component video output from your AVR, then you should think hard before taking the plunge on an HK AVR.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

The arguement some are making is that this is almost strictly an H/K issue and that most other manufacturers don't implement this. We're going to need input from owners of other AVRs. I'm not willing to go on what manuals say. In this day and age the ability to pass HD content thru
component "uncrippled" would be very surprising.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post

The arguement some are making is that this is almost strictly an H/K issue and that most other manufacturers don't implement this. We're going to need input from owners of other AVRs. I'm not willing to go on what manuals say. In this day and age the ability to pass HD content thru
component "uncrippled" would be very surprising.

Rotel RSX-1550 passes
NAD T-765 passes
Cambridge Audio 640R passess
Denon AVR-1909 Passes
These are from first hand experiences.

Now we just need results from Onkyo, Sherwood, Sony, Marantz, & Pioneer
JVC is a Harman brand will probably follow along the lines of Harman Kardon.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Rotel RSX-1550 passes
NAD T-765 passes
Cambridge Audio 640R passess
Denon AVR-1909 Passes
These are from first hand experiences.

Now we just need results from Onkyo, Sherwood, Sony, Marantz, & Pioneer
JVC is a Harman brand will probably follow along the lines of Harman Kardon.

Just out of curiousity, which player were you using to test?
Old 07-31-2009, 04:30 PM

im taking the optical out form my tv into the reciever...is there a way to just use an optical input with out having a video input attached to it...for example right now im using componet 1 with optical 1 well im not actually using the video side just the audio side so when i select tv. my audio goes through the reciever but i didnt know if there was another way
Old 07-31-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:

$162 Delivered..
You stole it...

Just my $0.025... [IMG]http://www.******************/av.php[/IMG]

ahah $162 delivered = stolen
Old 07-31-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post

Just out of curiousity, which player were you using to test?

I calibrate HDTVs, so each receiver was connected to different sources. Pioneer DVD player, Xbox 360, Denon BD player, etc. I see many systems, and although most are using HDMI, a fair amount of people purchased HDTVs 4+ years ago, and still use component video. Those of you who have made their HDTV purchases recently make assumptions, but this is new and so far exclusive to HK receivers.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by crochese View Post

Does anyone have any theories/explanations for the price swings on the AVR 354? A few months back, a new 354 was pretty easy to find for <$600, but now some of the same places that were selling for <$600 are now back to selling them at full price, $799. However, it looks like you can still get a new 354 in the $500-$600 range from a few places.

At first I thought the low prices a few months back were an attempt to clear stock for a newer model, but now with prices back up I can't figure out why they'd discount it that much. In that lower price range, software bugs aside, there's not much with comparable/better specs, except for the number of HDMI ins and wattage (if you're not aware of HK's conservative estimates).

Any thoughts? Just curious.

EZ..
End of life.. New replacement AVRs soon-to-be announced..

Just my $0.025...
Old 07-31-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zikronix View Post

im taking the optical out form my tv into the reciever...is there a way to just use an optical input with out having a video input attached to it...for example right now im using componet 1 with optical 1 well im not actually using the video side just the audio side so when i select tv. my audio goes through the reciever but i didnt know if there was another way

Nope, all of the inputs (AUX, TV, GAME, etc.) can support an audio & video pair except TUNER. I actually like that "feature". It lets me watch TV or DVD while listening to music. Of course you don't have to actually attach anything to either one.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by zikronix View Post

You actually don't have to have component 1 assigned to your video input. Use TV, Game or Aux and assign the optical input to it. If there happens to be a component input assigned to it already, that's okay. If you need component 1 to be assigned to another input, its okay to do it.

If you have no use for component 1 anyway, it really isn't a big deal.

I listen to the radio or music while watching sports all the time! Great feature on my old AVR 325.

Afro GT
Old 07-31-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:

EZ..
End of life.. New replacement AVRs soon-to-be announced..

Is the 3550 end of life as well ?
Old 07-31-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer View Post

I was listening to cd playback on ps3 and with Logic 7 surround setting, sound level was changing during playback.

Anybody listening to mp3's/cd's from a ps3? What do you use for surround setting, stereo or dolby prologic II?

Not a ps3 issue. Known AVR issue with a 5 speaker setup using Logic 7 Music Surround Mode - pulsing side surround levels with some cd source material. Reported that 7 speaker setup and/or Logic 7 Movie is not an issue, but 5 sp w/L7Music is. You can get past it by telling the AVR you have 7 speakers even though only 5 are hooked up, but you obviously are not hearing all of the surround signals then. This discussion was in one of these 2 threads perhaps 3-5 months ago.

What do I use? A variety. If I'm in the sweet spot, then I might use 2 ch Stereo, but often am roaming the room or in a different part of the room, and then use 5 ch Stereo. I also tend to use DPLII Music taking most if not all of the sound out of the center (DPLII Music Settings) sometimes, again when in sweet spot to be able to appreciate what the Surround Mode is doing. Room layout and activities influence what I use.

Hope that helps.

Tags
Harman Kardon