Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 Old 07-04-2008, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think the weight, on Amazon's description, is simply a typo or just incorrect information. Just like the "Package Width" is likely not 1 inch. And I'm sure the 806 is still an THX Ultra2 (Plus) certified AVR.

# Item Weight: 37.5 pounds
# Item Length: 16.94 inches
# Item Width: 17.13 inches
# Package Width: 1 inches

Maybe they're trying to save on shipping cost and they're folding it up to fit in a 1" package.
post #63 of 79 Old 07-07-2008, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWL View Post

I think the weight, on Amazon's description, is simply a typo or just incorrect information. Just like the "Package Width" is likely not 1 inch. And I'm sure the 806 is still an THX Ultra2 (Plus) certified AVR.

# Item Weight: 37.5 pounds
# Item Length: 16.94 inches
# Item Width: 17.13 inches
# Package Width: 1 inches

Maybe they're trying to save on shipping cost and they're folding it up to fit in a 1" package.

21lbs and 1" wide shipped. I can't wait to see it, it should solve problems with placing it in a cabinet.
post #64 of 79 Old 07-22-2008, 10:49 AM
dxm

You all need to see today press release on Onkyo's website. It will clear up your spec questions. They also have the spec's for both the TX-SR806 & TX-706.

Quote from press release "The Onkyo TX-SR806 and TX-SR706 home theater receivers have THX Ultra2 Plus and Select2 Plus certification respectively, and both include the new THX Loudness Plus technology."

Being a new user to this forum I can not post the URL. So you will have to find the press release on your own on Onkyo's website. Sorry
post #65 of 79 Old 07-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxm View Post

You all need to see today press release on Onkyo's website. It will clear up your spec questions. They also have the spec's for both the TX-SR806 & TX-706.

Quote from press release "The Onkyo TX-SR806 and TX-SR706 home theater receivers have THX Ultra2 Plus and Select2 Plus certification respectively, and both include the new THX Loudness Plus technology."

Being a new user to this forum I can not post the URL. So you will have to find the press release on your own on Onkyo's website. Sorry

http://onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-S...s=Receiver&p=s

Dropped about 14 pounds, went from 9.5 to 7.8 amps in power consumption but is still ultra 2 (plus) certified. Not sure what the plus means for power output. This must have a more efficient amplifier section to keep the Ultra-2 certification, in other words it isn't a space heater any more! It lost over an inch of depth, probably the 14 pounds of heat sink and power supply that are no longer there. Distortion went up a bit 0.05% (Rated power) for the 805 versus 0.08% (Rated power) for the 806, this is probably directly related to the efficiency gains, but nothing major, not a bad trade off given the significantly smaller power supply, peak power dropped slightly as well, but again, nothing major:

145 W + 145 W (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7%, 2 channels driven, FTC) for the 806

versus

150 W (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7%, 2 channels driven, FTC) for the 805

It seems like Onkyo made some good trade offs, efficiency and less heat for slightly less power and slightly more distortion, but nothing anyone will be able to hear. Given the new features, more inputs and hopefully better HDMI processing it seems like a step forward overall.
post #66 of 79 Old 07-22-2008, 12:30 PM
dxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by swestbom View Post

Dropped about 14 pounds, went from 9.5 to 7.8 amps in power consumption but is still ultra 2 (plus) certified. Not sure what the plus means for power output. This must have a more efficient amplifier section to keep the Ultra-2 certification, in other words it isn't a space heater any more! It lost over an inch of depth, probably the 14 pounds of heat sink and power supply that are no longer there. Distortion went up a bit 0.05% (Rated power) for the 805 versus 0.08% (Rated power) for the 806, this is probably directly related to the efficiency gains, but nothing major, not a bad trade off given the significantly smaller power supply, peak power dropped slightly as well, but again, nothing major:

versus

It seems like Onkyo made some good trade offs, efficiency and less heat for slightly less power and slightly more distortion, but nothing anyone will be able to hear. Given the new features, more inputs and hopefully better HDMI processing it seems like a step forward overall.

Thanks for posting the URL for everyone and the technical differences between the old and new models.
post #67 of 79 Old 07-22-2008, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Was hoping they'd be nice enough to add another HDMI input to the 806......guess not.
post #68 of 79 Old 07-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1 View Post

Was hoping they'd be nice enough to add another HDMI input to the 806......guess not.

isn't 5 enough
post #69 of 79 Old 07-23-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth aviator View Post

Are you sure the 806 carries the "Hudson II" like the 606 ??

check this thread which basically states that the 706X has faroudja Cinema. That's a 1080p 3D comb filter chip. Even if it is in the range of the FL2310, it is similar to the chip used by the higly acclaimed Oppo 981 DVD players. The chip is old, however it suggests that it is priced competitively at the end of its product cycle. I think some of these chips suffer from 8bit internal conversions/calculations. However, it should do wonders for standard definition cable broadcasts.

told you so

The 706 looks like a real value proposition, i would love to discover the difference between the two faroudja chips used in this and the 806 since the 806 claims to offer 1080i upcoversion over component video.
post #70 of 79 Old 07-23-2008, 01:44 AM

Quote:

http://onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-S...s=Receiver&p=s

versus

The main heat problem was localized to the right back section of receiver, where the processors were located. It was away from amplification section. As a matter of fact, amplifier section was always running cool enough, I never for once experienced those side front fans kick in(875 owner here). A new PCB layout and PCB positioning could be a better solution for the right back section heat issue.

Elaborating from your post, I think trade offs are more profit oriented rather than solution oriented, at least from the first look of it. there were already rumours around that Onkyo was uncomfortable with the steeply declined price and low margin. Losing the wall of heat sink, putting in a smaller power supply enables you to make the unit smaller&lighter, cheaper unit with less logistics cost.

That huge wall of heat sink was also shielding the processor section from power supply, if that is gone that could be another potential setback.

On a final note, I hope those missing 2 amperes will not come back to haunt Onkyo in sound&vision mag lab tests. I would wait until real lab results to hail the success of Onkyo's efficiency improvement.

I guess we will all find out shortly.
post #71 of 79 Old 07-23-2008, 01:57 AM

I am pretty sure the 806 is ultra2plus. Look at the special forums area> ce pro & electronics house articles. Has a small bit about the 806 and 706. This also might be our homepage here.
post #72 of 79 Old 07-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giskaard View Post

The main heat problem was localized to the right back section of receiver, where the processors were located. It was away from amplification section. As a matter of fact, amplifier section was always running cool enough, I never for once experienced those side front fans kick in(875 owner here). A new PCB layout and PCB positioning could be a better solution for the right back section heat issue.

Elaborating from your post, I think trade offs are more profit oriented rather than solution oriented, at least from the first look of it. there were already rumours around that Onkyo was uncomfortable with the steeply declined price and low margin. Losing the wall of heat sink, putting in a smaller power supply enables you to make the unit smaller&lighter, cheaper unit with less logistics cost.

That huge wall of heat sink was also shielding the processor section from power supply, if that is gone that could be another potential setback.

On a final note, I hope those missing 2 amperes will not come back to haunt Onkyo in sound&vision mag lab tests. I would wait until real lab results to hail the success of Onkyo's efficiency improvement.

I guess we will all find out shortly.

Amps with much smaller power supplies still manage to ace the 2 channel tests. look at the Pioneer Elite line, their power supplies are around 5 amps yet they always do well in the power tests (even if they suck at all channels driven or S/N tests).

I agree that the amp was stripped a bit to save money, but it isn't really the cost of the components that is at issue but market differentiation of the 806 from the 876 which probably will still have the BMF amp section.

The power will be less but it still has to be substantial to pass the Ultra-2 tests and if they pulled the heat sinks as well they either have a very noisy fan or it is more efficient and thus throws off less energy as heat (probably a bit of both).
post #73 of 79 Old 07-23-2008, 07:36 AM
T2k

Liked: 11
Quote:

Quote:

Are you sure the 806 carries the "Hudson II" like the 606 ??

check this thread which basically states that the 706X has faroudja Cinema. That's a 1080p 3D comb filter chip. Even if it is in the range of the FL2310, it is similar to the chip used by the higly acclaimed Oppo 981 DVD players. The chip is old, however it suggests that it is priced competitively at the end of its product cycle. I think some of these chips suffer from 8bit internal conversions/calculations. However, it should do wonders for standard definition cable broadcasts.

told you so

The 706 looks like a real value proposition, i would love to discover the difference between the two faroudja chips used in this and the 806 since the 806 claims to offer 1080i upcoversion over component video.

1. It's not DCDi Cinema, it's Edge. For some reason mfrs often label their units with wrong logos however according to Genesis' own specs it's DCDi Edge, a cheap entry-level chip.

2. Please, stop bringing up the "highly acclaimed Oppo player" cliche - it's killing me. It's an old model that wasn't flawless (see older DCDi chips' macroblocking issue) and it's not an accident they dropped Faroudja in the successor, better 983 model and used ABT (+deint.)
post #74 of 79 Old 07-23-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

That thread is wrong IMO - it's Faroudja Edge, not Cinema, at least according to the Genesis website and press releases.

OTOH first H/K 354 unit we have pics of carries a Faroudja Edge logo but sports the most advanced Faroujda chip to date, the Torino - which is officially Cinema-line...

It's either the website is wrong and Edge is the more advanced line and Cinema is the entry-level or these logos/brandings get on units or into documents without proper QC.

You just said it: 1080p, 3D comb filter - it's already far better than Denon's old crap, the FLi2310.

It was highly acclaimed - they have better units now and others' ABT, Reon-based units are surpassed it as well.

Not the FLi2310, that's for sure, that's a crap today, period. Denon ****ed up their entire 2008-2009 line with this seriously outdated, inferior scaler and no dynamic volume adjustment can't help that.

Well, Onkyo has released its 706 and 806 AVR's all sporting 1080p faroudja chips, 'cinema' to be exact. Will this guy finally cool it will all the arrogant posts BEFORE he gets his facts. It seriously undermines his credibility on the board. After all, we all read this board to obtains facts, truth. Please don't peddle something else.
LL
post #75 of 79 Old 07-23-2008, 06:45 PM
T2k

Yawn... for a second I thought someone made a comment... but nothing. Interesting.

PS: of course, it's Edge, according to its manufacturer, Genesis but I guess almost everyone figured it out from my linked topic (see PDF.)
post #76 of 79 Old 07-23-2008, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo View Post

isn't 5 enough

My bad. I swear yesterday when I looked at the specs in the link above it stated 3in1 out. 5 is perfect though! 360/DVR/PS3/HD DVD player and maybe even PC or some new toy down the line
post #77 of 79 Old 07-24-2008, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1 View Post

My bad. I swear yesterday when I looked at the specs in the link above it stated 3in1 out. 5 is perfect though! 360/DVR/PS3/HD DVD player and maybe even PC or some new toy down the line

I read the same thing yesterday, Robert. The specs seem inconsistent on the website. Look at the 706, it says 3 HDMI inputs, but the back panel picture shows 4.
post #78 of 79 Old 07-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

"top-quality Cirrus Logic 192kHz/24-bit DACs" uh oh, no more TI 1796 DACs either! I bet it is a cheaper, poorer quality set of DACs.

http://www.gspr.com/onkyo/txsr806.html
post #79 of 79 Old 07-24-2008, 12:56 PM
T2k

Quote:

"top-quality Cirrus Logic 192kHz/24-bit DACs" uh oh, no more TI 1796 DACs either! I bet it is a cheaper, poorer quality set of DACs.

http://www.gspr.com/onkyo/txsr806.html

Wasn't TI always DSP-only?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page