U.S. receiver or one bought in London for use in London? Differences? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-30-2008, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My brother is moving to London and I'm wondering if it is worth bringing over a decent midrange ($3-400) receiver or to buy one there? His goal is to save money as prices are higher there and his company is covering the shipping charges for his relocation from the states.

Is there a difference in the way FM/AM radio works?

Would I only need a power convert to make a U.S. receiver work properly? If so, what do you experts recommend buying?

He will be driving either Energy C-3's or Energy RC-30's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-30-2008, 10:47 PM

Unless you can find one that has a 120/240V switchable power supply best bet is to get one when he gets there. Also, the different TV-signal standards over there may not work with a US model.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-30-2008, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, thank you for letting me know about that HTMVinnie. Sounds like it may just be best to bring speakers over and that's it.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-01-2008, 01:00 AM

At least in Sweden (I presume it the same in UK) one can buy power converters that transform to 120v (with optional W power, ranging 200, 300 and 800w), price in Sweden is from 28£ (200w) to 64£ (800w), the 800w unit weight 9 kg (18 lb's), price is probably a lot less in the UK.

The power converters looks like a black box with a domestic power cord to the wall socket and then one or two US outputs on the converter. This will guarantee that your receiver run on the correct electrical specifications, if one is cheap just get a wall plugged transformer but then your receiver will probably not last long since the wall plugs don't transform the voltage just the socket.

Some receivers have build in switch for switching from 120v to 220-230v, this can be done by one self, but I recommend a certified electrician to because sometime welding is involved, but take notice all receivers doesn't have this switch. You need to take of the receivers chassis to perform this task.

Most European TV's are able to play NTSC, but only in video mode = HDMI in, component in etc, so that should be no problem, just read you TV's manual to be sure. On some Euro versions of receivers one can switch from PAL to NTSC so I guess that should be the other way around if one buys a receivers in USA as well.

Picture:
http://www.kjell.com/content/media/i...tems/44099.jpg
post #5 of 6 Old 07-01-2008, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you erikderek. That is usueful information as well. I'll have to check out that little box.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-01-2008, 12:34 PM
T2k

Liked: 11
IIRC a ~1kW (!!!) power transformer is something like $60-80 on eBay and it's the only thing you need to buy to use your lot cheaper US unit in London.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page