Onkyo TX SR806 (and 706?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 523 Old 07-01-2008, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Amazon has pre-orders for new 806 (posted today 7/1) for $999. It appears to be the same model released in HK and SE ASIA entitled the TX SA706. 5 HDMI inputs and upscaling to 1080p. Any one know if there will be a 706? Onkyo's website has a 706 listed in warranty registration...
winston9332 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 523 Old 07-01-2008, 09:16 PM
vd0
Member
 
vd0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's the link to the actual page (black unit)

If you expand the specs or look at the product details section, it gives the weight as 37.5 lbs whereas the 805 shows 50.9 lbs. on Onkyo's site - so maybe it is lighter this year?

They may have the specs messed up though, because now that I look at the page, it gives the shipping weight at 21 lbs., so it's even lighter when shipped.
vd0 is offline  
post #3 of 523 Old 07-01-2008, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jakeman02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 6,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vd0 View Post

Here's the link to the actual page (black unit)

If you expand the specs or look at the product details section, it gives the weight as 37.5 lbs whereas the 805 shows 50.9 lbs. on Onkyo's site - so maybe it is lighter this year?

They may have the specs messed up though, because now that I look at the page, it gives the shipping weight at 21 lbs., so it's even lighter when shipped.

lol, they take the guts out of it before it's shipped. Yeah I think they may need to work on the listed specs before we start taking it as factual.
Jakeman02 is offline  
post #4 of 523 Old 07-02-2008, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mbyrnes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Media, PA (outside Philly)
Posts: 3,447
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 167
It also looks like they removed the Burr Brown DAC. The THD is up from .05% to .08%

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

 

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

mbyrnes is offline  
post #5 of 523 Old 07-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Senior Member
 
DeusExa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
no burr brown.....

Home Audio: Polk Audio LSi15 - Onkyo TX-SR805 - purchasing Emotiva XPA-3 Amp/Cadence 15" Sub

PC Audio: Energy RC-10 - Onkyo Integrated Amp
DeusExa is offline  
post #6 of 523 Old 07-02-2008, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Spoke to a guy who I usually buy from at Circuit City...

Confirmed the following pricing:

806: $949
706: $759

Claims they are usually in the store in about a month once they hit the system...so maybe 1 Aug 08 release date????
winston9332 is offline  
post #7 of 523 Old 07-03-2008, 07:57 AM
Member
 
moparman390's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Spoke to a guy who I usually buy from at Circuit City...

Confirmed the following pricing:

806: $949
706: $759

Claims they are usually in the store in about a month once they hit the system...so maybe 1 Aug 08 release date????

Anyone else see CC's computer to confirm they have a 706 in it?
moparman390 is offline  
post #8 of 523 Old 07-03-2008, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
My guy claims they both are in the computer. I would imagine we are looking towards arrival 8/1 to 8/15. Surprised the jr's of the world do not have it up yet.
winston9332 is offline  
post #9 of 523 Old 07-04-2008, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
B&H Photo has the 806 and 706 on their website for pre-orders. Listed at $999 and $799 respectively.
winston9332 is offline  
post #10 of 523 Old 07-04-2008, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MrEastSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I work at Circuit City and I checked the other day, they are indeed both in our system. So typically 2-4 weeks is when we see them. Of course it could always change depending on Onkyo

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
MrEastSide is online now  
post #11 of 523 Old 07-05-2008, 06:11 AM
Newbie
 
darrentshort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brandon, MS
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wonder what they improved with the 706? I am totally new to using my receiver to transfer video signals to my tv. Does this receiver act as a hdmi switcher or does it enhance the quality signal to the tv? It is hard to believe that the signal from your satellite won't be reduced by going through the receiver first.
darrentshort is offline  
post #12 of 523 Old 07-05-2008, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If you believe the australasian version of the 706 is destined for North American shores, it will have 5 HDMIs (two more than 705) and upscaling of video sources to 1080p (705 currently deinterlaces 480i and converts to 480p).
winston9332 is offline  
post #13 of 523 Old 07-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Member
 
moparman390's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was at CC and asked them to look up the 706, it's in their computer and I saw it with my own eyes. CC Price $759, so we are probably going to see it for less on amazon.
moparman390 is offline  
post #14 of 523 Old 07-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dave Moritz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Whittier, California
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone actually found any detailed information about the upcoming Onkyo TX-SR806?

This is basically the only information I could find.

link for where I found information: http://www.productwiki.com/onkyo-tx-sr806/

The Onkyo TX-SR806 is an upcoming THX Ultra 2 Plus Certified 7.1 channel a/v receiver that supercedes the TX-SR805. It has an expected MSRP of $949 and August 2008 release date. Upgrades over its predecessor include 5 HDMI inputs (up from 3), improved THD to 0.08% (up from 0.05%), and 1080p analog video upscaling . From the early leaked specifications, it appears that the TX-SR806 has dropped the Burr-Brown DAC circuitry. It will maintain it's 130 Watts / channel rated power specification.

* 7.1 channel surround a/v reciever
* THX Ultra 2 Plus Certified
* Power: 130 Watts / channel
* THD: 0.08%
* Push-Pull Amplifier Design with 3-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry
* Release Date: August 2008 ???
* MSRP: $949 ???

The use of 4 or 5 HDMI inputs would be nice but if the 806 is going to use cheaper DAC's and is not going to have a stout amplifier like the 805. Then I have to ask myself whey would I wait for the 806 when I can buy a 805? The THD rating is a little cleaner on the 806 but without a stong amp section what is the point? I am going to wait and see as I am saving up for my next receiver and I will have to wait and see if I get a flagship or settle for something in the price range of the 805.

It sure would help to see actual specs for the 806 as it is scheduled to be out by the end of the year.

Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!
Dave Moritz is offline  
post #15 of 523 Old 07-07-2008, 08:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Chaosphere482's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz View Post

Has anyone actually found any detailed information about the upcoming Onkyo TX-SR806?

This is basically the only information I could find.

link for where I found information: http://www.productwiki.com/onkyo-tx-sr806/

The Onkyo TX-SR806 is an upcoming THX Ultra 2 Plus Certified 7.1 channel a/v receiver that supercedes the TX-SR805. It has an expected MSRP of $949 and August 2008 release date. Upgrades over its predecessor include 5 HDMI inputs (up from 3), improved THD to 0.08% (up from 0.05%), and 1080p analog video upscaling . From the early leaked specifications, it appears that the TX-SR806 has dropped the Burr-Brown DAC circuitry. It will maintain it's 130 Watts / channel rated power specification.

* 7.1 channel surround a/v reciever
* THX Ultra 2 Plus Certified
* Power: 130 Watts / channel
* THD: 0.08%
* Push-Pull Amplifier Design with 3-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry
* Release Date: August 2008 ???
* MSRP: $949 ???

The use of 4 or 5 HDMI inputs would be nice but if the 806 is going to use cheaper DAC's and is not going to have a stout amplifier like the 805. Then I have to ask myself whey would I wait for the 806 when I can buy a 805? The THD rating is a little cleaner on the 806 but without a stong amp section what is the point? I am going to wait and see as I am saving up for my next receiver and I will have to wait and see if I get a flagship or settle for something in the price range of the 805.

It sure would help to see actual specs for the 806 as it is scheduled to be out by the end of the year.

improved THD to 0.08% (up from 0.05%)?!
Chaosphere482 is offline  
post #16 of 523 Old 07-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dave Moritz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Whittier, California
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12


Sorry I stand correct, I hadn't woke up yet and didn't read it correctly my bad.

So far besides the increase in HDMI inputs the 806 is starting to look like a downgrade not an upgrade. Onkyo should be ashamed!
If I end up with a receiver in the $1k range then it will most likely be the Onkyo TX-SR 805!

Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!
Dave Moritz is offline  
post #17 of 523 Old 07-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Senior Member
 
MordredKLB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosphere482 View Post

improved THD to 0.08% (up from 0.05%)?!

That's hysterical.
MordredKLB is offline  
post #18 of 523 Old 07-09-2008, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
B&H has posted what appears to be legit specs on the 706:

HDMI x4 Switching 1080p Upscaling High Current Power Supply (H.C.P.S.) HD-Component Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD AUDYSSEY MultEQ 32-Bit DSP WRAT XM/Sirius-Ready Bi-Amp Capability Mfr# TX-SR706B B&H# ONTXSR706B

check out the link
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=RetrieveSku&IC=ONTXSR706B&Q=&O=
winston9332 is offline  
post #19 of 523 Old 07-10-2008, 12:39 AM
Member
 
smooth aviator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

B&H has posted what appears to be legit specs on the 706:

HDMI x4 Switching 1080p Upscaling High Current Power Supply (H.C.P.S.) HD-Component Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD AUDYSSEY MultEQ 32-Bit DSP WRAT XM/Sirius-Ready Bi-Amp Capability Mfr# TX-SR706B B&H# ONTXSR706B

check out the link
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=RetrieveSku&IC=ONTXSR706B&Q=&O=

Thr 1080p upscaling keeps popping up. Maybe onkyo has focused on upscaling as the unique feature for marketing their products this year. They were among the first to place bit streamed HDMI 1.3 decoding of HD and Master Audio last year at such low prices. Note that the cheapest Faroudja cinema is has a 3D comb filter. This should provide signifcantly better results that the Faroudja 'Edge' Hudson chip used in the 705.
smooth aviator is offline  
post #20 of 523 Old 07-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Member
 
dodkalm81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking at getting the 805 for about $650 but with the 806 right around the corner do you think it is better to wait. Dont know anything about the Burr-Brown DAC circuitry. Not sure what it does. Is this DAC any good. and if they are dropping it, do you think they are going with something better. The main question is do I buy the 805 with all of there known problems or wait to get the 806 which might fix most of the 805 problems but might also have diffrent ones..

What to do?
dodkalm81 is offline  
post #21 of 523 Old 07-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
sterryo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodkalm81 View Post

I am looking at getting the 805 for about $650 but with the 806 right around the corner do you think it is better to wait. Dont know anything about the Burr-Brown DAC circuitry. Not sure what it does. Is this DAC any good. and if they are dropping it, do you think they are going with something better. The main question is do I buy the 805 with all of there known problems or wait to get the 806 which might fix most of the 805 problems but might also have diffrent ones..

What to do?

same DAC found in Denon's top of the line 5808, yeah it's good
sterryo is offline  
post #22 of 523 Old 07-11-2008, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Beerstalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 1,978
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It's up to you, but experience tells me that the 805 will get cheaper when the 806 is released. So if you wait and decide that the 805 is better for your needs then you might actually save money.
Beerstalker is offline  
post #23 of 523 Old 07-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Member
 
dodkalm81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just decided to purchase the 805, because alot of the online companys are selling out of it. And are not getting anymore in. So I feel that this price point will only be around for alittle while longer. Since companys are trying to get ready for the new line
dodkalm81 is offline  
post #24 of 523 Old 07-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dave Moritz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Whittier, California
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I wish I had the money to at least buy a 805 now because I have a feeling that the 806 is going to have a castrated amp section. And if that happens I will be buying a Denon instead. But I am willing to wait and see what happens because that is all I can do.

Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!
Dave Moritz is offline  
post #25 of 523 Old 07-16-2008, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
winston9332 is offline  
post #26 of 523 Old 07-16-2008, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Appears Zone 3 is dropped from 806. 706 pics up source display of channels from 805. So far, it seems the 806 might be a bit of a downgrade from the 806 (no zone 3, no burr browns) minus the additional 2 hdmi inputs and 1080p upscaling. Begs the question whether it's worth the extra $200 over the 706. Attachment 115443

Attachment 115444
LL
LL
winston9332 is offline  
post #27 of 523 Old 07-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dave Moritz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Whittier, California
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am wondering since the 705 has 50MHz component video will the 706 have the same? And will they keep 100MHz component switching in the upcoming 806?

Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!
Dave Moritz is offline  
post #28 of 523 Old 07-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Member
 
smooth aviator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz View Post

I am wondering since the 705 has 50MHz component video will the 706 have the same? And will they keep 100MHz component switching in the upcoming 806?

Lets see how the faroudja cinema 1080p upconversion goes, right now this looks quite impressive.
smooth aviator is offline  
post #29 of 523 Old 07-17-2008, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dave Moritz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Whittier, California
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The thing that concerns me is that Onkyo is now cutting corners and taking there receivers that had a lot of bang for the buck. And turning them into mediocre models that will not be as good as other brands. But that just means that if the 805 is not available when I have the money. That Denon, Marantz or Pioneer will end up with my money instead of Onkyo.

Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!
Dave Moritz is offline  
post #30 of 523 Old 07-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
ibre34's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 693
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any news about the 806?

I can't wait to see the official specs
ibre34 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off