Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Set up is going to as follows:

TV: Kuro Pro-151FD
Speakers: 2x Paradigm Studio 60's
Receiver: ????
Blu-ray / Console: PS3
Console: Wii

I'm not doing surround (for right now) because I currently live in an apartment and do not plan on being here for too long, plus with the wiring and all I'd rather leave that when I move into a more permanent place...

I'm also not doing a sub-woofer yet because of downstairs neighbors...

Now, I'm just stuck on the receiver part.. Some people have recommended the Pioneer VSX-94TXH, some say the 94 isn't worth the money and to get the 92 instead? And I also see a lot of recommendations for the Onkyo.. Yet when I read about the Onkyo I read it wasn't as good for video as it was for audio? Argh!

Problem is I'm really new in this and a lot of the receivers have so many features I am not even sure what I really need for the set up I am going for... I do plan on eventually having surrounds and a sub, and I prefer video quality over audio quality if that matters in selection as I'll be doing more gaming, movies than just listening to music..

My price limit is around what the 92-94VSX pioneer elite receivers run...

Thanks,
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-12-2008, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Liked: 10
How long will it be until you flesh out the surround system? If its any significant amount of time, Id just get an integrated amp. The new HDMI receivers are pretty new, and by the time you actually need all of the things it can do, you can either get better for cheaper, or get todays' offerings for that much less.

The integrated amp can be sold, used elsewhere, or you might find one that has HT bypass so that it can be combined with a future receiver. Just an idea to consider.

oh, I have an Onkyo, and no video issues. I don't use the receiver for any video processing though; the only reason it even goes thru receiver is for lossless audio. Looks tremendous on my enormous screen with RS-1 projector.

The above is just my preliminary opinion. I think the biggest factor will be the answer to my question.

post #3 of 7 Old 07-12-2008, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by roper512 View Post

Set up is going to as follows:

TV: Kuro Pro-151FD
Speakers: 2x Paradigm Studio 60's
Receiver: ????
Blu-ray / Console: PS3
Console: Wii

I'm not doing surround (for right now) because I currently live in an apartment and do not plan on being here for too long, plus with the wiring and all I'd rather leave that when I move into a more permanent place...

I'm also not doing a sub-woofer yet because of downstairs neighbors...

Now, I'm just stuck on the receiver part.. Some people have recommended the Pioneer VSX-94TXH, some say the 94 isn't worth the money and to get the 92 instead? And I also see a lot of recommendations for the Onkyo.. Yet when I read about the Onkyo I read it wasn't as good for video as it was for audio? Argh!

Problem is I'm really new in this and a lot of the receivers have so many features I am not even sure what I really need for the set up I am going for... I do plan on eventually having surrounds and a sub, and I prefer video quality over audio quality if that matters in selection as I'll be doing more gaming, movies than just listening to music..

My price limit is around what the 92-94VSX pioneer elite receivers run...

Thanks,
Adam

The 94 has a better video section then what Onkyo? I think at the price you would be looking at the Onkyo 875. This has the same video processor as my 885. My HiFi shop let me borrow a 94, it was not in the same league as the reon processor. Not saying that the 94 was not a good unit. I liked the sound, but people have mentioned that the amp section didn't spec out compared to pioneers claims. When I tested the 94 in my system it was with my sunfire amp. Still I thought it was a nice piece of gear. IMO

My Media Room Photos:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-12-2008, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I have yet to see a receiver from Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo, Sony etc. that does not "spec out" once you figure out how the FTC rules work.

For better or worse, they can say 100x7 even if they measured the output with only one channel driven. I blame the FTC more than the manufacturers.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #5 of 7 Old 07-13-2008, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I have yet to see a receiver from Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo, Sony etc. that does not "spec out" once you figure out how the FTC rules work.

For better or worse, they can say 100x7 even if they measured the output with only one channel driven. I blame the FTC more than the manufacturers.

I agree. I am not blaming anyone, just making statements that I have read

My Media Room Photos:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-13-2008, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Note: On my first post changed type-o from "Not saying that the 94 was a good unit" to "Not saying that the 94 was NOT a good unit"

Sorry...I thought it was very nice for the discounted price

My Media Room Photos:

post #7 of 7 Old 07-13-2008, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Denon,Marantz and Onkyo on their mid to high end models come close to the advertized
spec all channels driven, in the stereo mode they slightly exceed the spec. as for video
they all have a quirk are two its best to read the thread for each particular model you
are considering so you will have an idea as to what glitch it may have.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page