1Likes

post #271 of 11381 Old 07-26-2008, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by solcris View Post

I just finished watching a BluRay with the Volume leveling active. I didn't have to adjust the sound at all between the explosions and dialogue. It worked great for me. I’m very pleased with this feature.

What level of Dynamic Volume did you use?

I just finished watching "Live Free or Die Hard" from a recording on the HR21. It's late enough that I used Dynamic Volume on the "Midnight" setting. It seemed to work slightly better when the volume peaks were low to moderate. With high peaks, mostly the big explosion scenes, it did sound a little muffled. I tried reducing the DV level to "Evening" and "Day". This seemed to eliminate the slightly muffled sound, but it made the volume range too great, that is, when I could hear the dialog clearly, the explosions were loud enough that I was worried I would wake up my wife.

Overall I like the feature and will use it often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 11381 Old 07-26-2008, 11:28 PM

Hello everyone. I have been on the fence between the 988 and the 1909. At first i had the Onkyo 606. Sent it back and thought I was set on the 1909. Then I read about the 988 at CC. That is a great deal. They are running out fast and you can only order it online and pick it up in the store now. It is not available for delivery. That price, plus the extra 10% off coupon they offer online really sweetened the deal. PLUS...if you use your discover card and link to CC from your discover account page (shop discover) they will give you 5% cash back. So that's half price + 15% off = I bought the 988. Two cities close to mine (mine does not have a CC) listed it available. The first one I went to (last 988 they had) was defective and missing the powercord (probably a demo or return). The second one (also the LAST ONE they had) was brand spanking new and I am very happy owning it. I believe I ,for my needs, could not have found a better deal on a quality piece of equipment that will last me for years.

Joe
post #273 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 05:52 AM
vd0

I am interested in these newer Denon receivers - I do not yet have one, but am hoping owners in this thread can help explain what capabilities I can expect from the surround modes.

Specifically, I am trying to understand the table on pages 78 and 79 of the 1909 manual.

I plan on using a PS3 for Blu-ray movies with the PS3 doing the decoding and outputting the audio as Linear PCM. Looking at the possible settings for the Standard surround mode, the table shows both "MULT CH IN" and "MULT CH IN 7.1" as being the initial status. From the table's legend explaining the symbols, I am guessing that what it means is that if the AFDM flag is set to ON, then it is set at "MULT CH IN 7.1", otherwise, if the flag is OFF, it defaults to "MULT CH IN" and is also able to be switched to using PLIIx Cinema or PLIIx Music.

What I am trying to figure out with these receivers is what if you want them to apply PLIIx Cinema when they are receiving a 5.1 signal and not apply PLIIx Cinema and instead output all 7.1 channels discretely when it receives a 7.1 signal.

It looks like if the AFDM flag is set to ON, it seems like 7.1 signals would be output correctly, but 5.1 signals would not be able to have PLIIx.

So if the AFDM flag is set to OFF, and "MULT IN + PLIIX Cinema" was selected, then would that be the way to have it apply PLIIx for 5.1 signals yet just output 7.1 signals discretely if it receives 7.1? Or is there not a way to make that automatically saved to work in that manner and that needs to be switched manually by the user depending upon whether a 5.1 or a 7.1 source is being played?
post #274 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 07:59 AM

Liked: 16
Can you rename inputs on the 1909?

Bill
post #275 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymerritt View Post

Yes, up to 8 characters. Manual: p. 41.
post #276 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 08:07 AM

Yes... you can do it in the "input assign" setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymerritt View Post

post #277 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 08:37 AM

Liked: 16
After reading all the pages in this forum I may spring for one of these 1909's!
I have had the Onkyo 805 for 8 months and front LED went out so while in the shop trying the Onkyo 606. After comparing it to the 805 it sounds unnatural to me. With dynamic EQ music sounds over blown and movies vary some sound better and some not. Don't like having to press audio button and scroll up and down to change options. I thinking the 1909 may do the EQ processing better. Also the Denon has the Audyssey MultEQ and should be better than the 606 with only the Audyssey 2EQ. If it sounds as good or better than my 805 then will keep the 1909 for sure, however only way I will no is to try one out for myself.
I would like some input from some current 1909 owners!
Thanks!

Bill
post #278 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs View Post

What level of Dynamic Volume did you use?

I just finished watching "Live Free or Die Hard" from a recording on the HR21. It's late enough that I used the "Midnight" setting. It seemed to work slightly better when the volume peaks were low to moderate. With high peaks, mostly the big explosion scenes, it did sound a little muffled. I tried reducing the DV level to "Evening" and "Daylight". This seemed to eliminate the slightly muffled sound, but it made the volume range too great, that is, when I could hear the dialog clearly, the explosions were loud enough that I was worried I would wake up my wife.

Overall I like the feature and will use it often.

I believe it was "Dynamic EQ/Volume. I pushed the Dynamic button until the red light turned to a green light on the front display. For me it worked great, but I did notice the explosions were not house shaking.
post #279 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:

I believe it was "Dynamic EQ/Volume. I pushed the Dynamic button until the red light turned to a green light on the front display. For me it worked great, but I did notice the explosions were not house shaking.

Using that button will turn Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume (at the set level) on and off. To set the level of Dynamic Volume, go to Menu>Parameter>Audyssey Settings>Dynamic Volume and choose between Off, Day, Evening and Midnight, to apply increasing levels of Dynamic Volume.
post #280 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 09:27 AM

I am trying to decide between the purchase of the 1909 and Pio 1018. the 1018 has manually adjustable lip sync vs the 1909 auto lipsync. Will the auto lipsync work with most LCDs or just the newer ones? For those who have the 1909 is the lipsync used and does it work well?

thanks
post #281 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Didn't someone say BB has a street date for the 1909 of today? It's still not on their website yet.
post #282 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just finished watching a BluRay with the Volume leveling active. I didn't have to adjust the sound at all between the explosions and dialogue. It worked great for me. I'm very pleased with this feature.

do you prefer watching blurays with or without the Audyssey feature

I dont think I could stand the leveling of audio in a bluray movie....thats just me, but what are your thoughts on it

Blu-Ray Supporter
post #283 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomander View Post

I am trying to decide between the purchase of the 1909 and Pio 1018. the 1018 has manually adjustable lip sync vs the 1909 auto lipsync. Will the auto lipsync work with most LCDs or just the newer ones? For those who have the 1909 is the lipsync used and does it work well?

thanks

It works well for me, with a Samsung LN-52A750. I can't comment on older TV's.
post #284 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post

Didn't someone say BB has a street date for the 1909 of today? It's still not on their website yet.

When I was in magnolia, they had 2 and told me the "street date" was the 27th and they couldn't sell until then.

I have the Pio 1018 now and I'm considering getting the 1909 for comparison. Then keeping the one I want.
post #285 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amel View Post

I dont think I could stand the leveling of audio in a bluray movie....thats just me, but what are your thoughts on it

The specific source, Bluray or other, is irrelevent. Audyssey Dynamic Volume is a completely optional feature. Use it if you need to reduce the dynamic range between low volume (whispers) and high volume (explosions). You would do this if very loud noises would disturb you, your wife or your neighbors. If it's only you and you don't care, turn it off. No worries.
post #286 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amel View Post

I prefer without, but my wife says it's to loud. We watch both ways.
post #287 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:

I prefer without, but my wife says it's to loud. We watch both ways.

My wife and I were watching a movie with Dynamic Volume off. About 10 minutes into it, she was actually crying and saying: "I HATE surround sound." What she actually hates is very loud, room shaking LFE and BIG noise coming at her from all directions. I turned on Dynamic Volume and she happily finished the movie with me. Just a matter of taste.
post #288 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs View Post

My wife and I were watching a movie with Dynamic Volume off. About 10 minutes into it, she was actually crying and saying: "I HATE surround sound." What she actually hates is very loud, room shaking LFE and BIG noise coming at her from all directions. I turned on Dynamic Volume and she happily finished the movie with me. Just a matter of taste.

Yikes - does that mean she's afraid to go to the movie theater? No dynamic volume there to yell at you about.
post #289 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 97
What's a movie theater?
post #290 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

I got a Denon AVR-1909 last night. Based on other posts here, seems like all the BB's got exactly 2 units.

I went into my local BB (the Magnolia section) and asked for an AVR-1909. He said "oh do you know about it, we just got those in!" and I said "a friend". He ran in the back and got one, then said he hoped no one buys the other one because HE wanted it, but wasn't allowed to buy it as an employee yet until more stock came in.

My budget and requirements were actually much higher than the AVR-1909 and I bought it as an "interim" AVR to be able to play the HD audio tracks on BD's, since I'll be making a PrePro+AMP purchase after I see what's announced at CEDIA. Higher end model AVR's and Pre's from various manufacturers have now fallen behind the latest/greatest processing features present in Denon's lower-end "2009" AVR's - love all those Audyssey features (they really are "killer apps" that it's hard to live without now knowing they exist).

I got it home, hooked it up and did a quick and dirty speaker auto-setup with Audyssey mic and it did make a diff in my room. I will redo it again today with more quiet and time to. So far I like everything but I have to say what's with the piss-poor menu (can't even call it a GUI)? Giant white block letter graphics straight off a radio shack TRS-80 computer, circa 1982. I was under the impression I'd be getting some kind of GUI since it's a Denon (guess that's the downside of blind-buying what hasn't been out long enough to have online reviews). Ultimately GUI doesn't matter in day-to-day use but just pointing it out. Other odd thing is pressing the left-arrow equals "select" in many menus - a bit counter-intuitive since left-arrow usually means backing out of an option.

Girlfriend started to whine that it was taking so long to hook up and "oh no another piece of equipment I have to learn" and I reminded her she doesn't HAVE to learn anything - that it's a priveledge and not a right to have a home theater setup and told her to shut it. I don't put up with "WAF" or GAF in this case - it's b.s. since there's a line of girls that'd be happy to sit and wait for my HT tinkering. I'm all about MAF.

After the movie, Immortal Beloved on Bluray on a 65" panasonic with the HD lossless LPCM track playing thru the Denon 1909, she admitted she was completely sucked in to the movie because of the sound. *roll eyes*
post #291 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory View Post

Girlfriend started to whine that it was taking so long to hook up and "oh no another piece of equipment I have to learn" and I reminded her she doesn't HAVE to learn anything - that it's a priveledge and not a right to have a home theater setup and told her to shut it. I don't put up with "WAF" or GAF in this case - it's b.s. since there's a line of girls that'd be happy to sit and wait for my HT tinkering.

After the movie, Immortal Beloved on Bluray on a 65" panasonic with the HD lossless LPCM track playing thru the Denon 1909, she admitted she was completely sucked in to the movie because of the sound. *roll eyes*

Judging from the choice of movie I'd like to hear her version of this story.
post #292 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post

Has anyone plugged a HTPC to their Denon 1909 yet?

Yep, just this morning. I got the 1909 yesterday evening and ran the automated setup (5.1 using old Infinity Kappas front/center and JBL ceiling speakers rear). So far I love it, but then it replaced a 10 year old Sony, so my standards were low.

My HTPC uses a Geforce video card and Tutle Beach optical-out audio. To connect to the 1909 I used a DVI to HDMI cable and TOSLINK optical cable. I'm only doing 1080i because that's my TV's limit, but it works just great. It's noticeably better than component direct to the TV, which I was using before.
post #293 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Girlfriend started to whine that it was taking so long to hook up and "oh no another piece of equipment I have to learn" and I reminded her she doesn't HAVE to learn anything - that it's a priveledge and not a right to have a home theater setup and told her to shut it. I don't put up with "WAF" or GAF in this case - it's b.s. since there's a line of girls that'd be happy to sit and wait for my HT tinkering. I'm all about MAF.

LOL

women

Blu-Ray Supporter
post #294 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokeefe View Post

Yep, just this morning. I got the 1909 yesterday evening and ran the automated setup (5.1 using old Infinity Kappas front/center and JBL ceiling speakers rear). So far I love it, but then it replaced a 10 year old Sony, so my standards were low.

My HTPC uses a Geforce video card and Tutle Beach optical-out audio. To connect to the 1909 I used a DVI to HDMI cable and TOSLINK optical cable. I'm only doing 1080i because that's my TV's limit, but it works just great. It's noticeably better than component direct to the TV, which I was using before.

Thanks for the info cokeefe. Anyone try HDMI audio from the PC-> 1909? I'm so about to call JR. The HDMI card I want (asus/auzentech) won't be here till end of August (or so they say). I figure JR wanted a 2 week ship time and another week for actual shipping, so I should get the AVR and HDMI audio card at about the same time, murphys law notwithstanding.
post #295 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

LOL - no doubt the title would make it sound like a chick flick had I not seen it before - it's anything *but* a romantic movie. I'm a Gary Oldman junkie and a Beethoven junkie, and the soundtrack actually was incredible w/ TrueHD track!
post #296 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

LOL of all the movies to test out with a new AVR LOL!! Live free die hard or I Robot would have been a great test. Of coarse she would not have aproved of that choice
post #297 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

So I pulled the trigger with JR. Had to haggle for free shipping since Jacque is out today:

Ln# Item SKU Description Quantity Price$ Total$
--- --------------- -------------------- -------- --------- ----------
1. DNN AVR1909 HOME THEATER RECEIVE 1 499.99 499.99
--- --------------- -------------------- -------- --------- ----------
Sub Total$ 499.99
Ship$ 0.00
TAX<0.00>$ 0.00
TOTAL$ 499.99

Your credit card will only be charged when your order is shipped.
post #298 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:

Yikes - does that mean she's afraid to go to the movie theater? No dynamic volume there to yell at you about.

Like Gary J. said, "movie theater", what's that? The bigger volume of a theater seems to make loud sounds less of a problem than they are in a typical home. When we see movies in a theater, about half the time she complains that the sound is too loud. Not so much of a problem with most 'chick flicks', though.
post #299 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozcot View Post

LOL of all the movies to test out with a new AVR LOL!! Live free die hard or I Robot would have been a great test. Of coarse she would not have aproved of that choice

Hah I wasn't assuming that movie a good speaker test. Master and commander on BD will do that after dialing in settings a bit better.
post #300 of 11381 Old 07-27-2008, 03:36 PM

For two weeks now I've been quietly obsessing over which receiver in this price range is best for my setup (and reading every post I can find on the subject). I hope the 1909 lives up to all the high expectations, because I just snatched up the only one in stock at my nearest Best Buy (with the 10% coupon). The above-mentioned ladies' night out comes at the perfect time and should help me avoid the problems Odditory has been having lately. I'll do my best to post my impressions for everyone later tonight or tomorrow.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page