*Official* Denon AVR 1909/789 Thread - Page 112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3331 of 11349 Old 12-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed my 789 always seems to have dolby cinema show in the window when I watch tv or movies, is this something that changes depending on how a show or movie is broadcast?

If not is is better to set it at dolby PLII.

Do shows on CBS ABC and NBC like CSI use dolbly pro logic, if so I guess I should set unit to Dolby PL rather than cinema?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 11349 Old 12-12-2008, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I received my 1909 today and just finished setting up.

I did notice a few things, some expected, some not. For some reason, my Xbox 360 wouldn't fully turn on unless it had the optical dongle connected, even though attaching it directly to my monitor with HDMI it worked without the dongle connected. No big deal, because I'm getting sound without the optical cable anyway.

Also, for some reason on my PC with Windows Vista Media Center, I had to disable bitstreaming Dolby Digital and DTS through HDMI for my recorded TV to play audio correctly. That's no big deal for me anyway, I don't really care whether its decoding the audio on my PC or on the receiver for that. (I'm sending out 7.1 24/96 PCM through the HDMI for everything else anyway, so its the exact same as far as I'm concerned.) I did have to use the EDID override mentioned in a thread in the HTPC forum to get my ATI 4850 to recognize the 1909, but that was expected.

Finally, my front speakers were set to large. They're rated by the Klipsch to go to like 34Hz or something, so I expected that, but that means that any two channel music I play (from the PC, lossless WMA rips of my CDs) doesn't use the subwoofer. I was all set to complain about how horrible this made the two channel music sound... and then I turned on the DynamicEQ and it sounds just as good as it does with the subwoofer, so no complaints really there.

So I don't plan on turning off DynamicEQ ever. I haven't done much with the Dynamic Volume yet, no need for it in the middle of the day, but I did have a question about those advanced codes which Logitech has added to my Harmony profile. I know there's an EQ On Volume On, an EQ On Volume Off, and then the 3 different Volume modes. Is it enough to press the Day mode button for example to turn that on? Or if I've got EQ On Volume Off, do I have to press EQ On Volume On and then Day?

Edit: To answer my own question apparently I have to put Volume on first and then Day.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #3333 of 11349 Old 12-12-2008, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet123456 View Post

I noticed my 789 always seems to have dolby cinema show in the window when I watch tv or movies, is this something that changes depending on how a show or movie is broadcast?

If not is is better to set it at dolby PLII.

Do shows on CBS ABC and NBC like CSI use dolbly pro logic, if so I guess I should set unit to Dolby PL rather than cinema?

Please read the FAQ on page 1, esp. the sections on surround mode vs. input signal. Also read the AVR FAQ and get a grasp on what those surround modes mean. Come back if you have specific follow-up questions.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #3334 of 11349 Old 12-12-2008, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Finally, my front speakers were set to large.

Just FYI, Audyssey does NOT choose the small/large thing, all it does is report its measurements to the receiver, and the receiver choose small/large. It is recommended that you then set your speakers to small -- even if your fronts are rated to 34Hz, if you have a good sub you'd probably still be happier setting them to small with a 40Hz or 60Hz crossover.

Check out the Audyssey FAQ, there's a lot of good information there:
http://www.audyssey.com/faq/index.html#largesmall

Quote:
Why does Audyssey set my speakers to Large (or Small) when I know they are not?
MultEQ does not set the speakers to Large or Small. This is a decision made by each individual AVR manufacturer and each uses a different speaker roll-off frequency to make this decision.

And of course make sure to read the Audyssey set-up guide:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3335 of 11349 Old 12-12-2008, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Just FYI, Audyssey does NOT choose the small/large thing, all it does is report its measurements to the receiver, and the receiver choose small/large. It is recommended that you then set your speakers to small -- even if your fronts are rated to 34Hz, if you have a good sub you'd probably still be happier setting them to small with a 40Hz or 60Hz crossover.

Check out the Audyssey FAQ, there's a lot of good information there:
http://www.audyssey.com/faq/index.html#largesmall

And of course make sure to read the Audyssey set-up guide:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

Yeah, that's how I'd always been setting it before this, to small. It actually sounds pretty good to my ears now with 2 channel music with MultiEQ on. I might change it a little later and try how it sounds on small fronts, but won't that mess up the curve that Audyssey has created? I skimmed most of this thread and most of the Audyssey one and that was the general impression it gave me, but I could be wrong.

post #3336 of 11349 Old 12-12-2008, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

Hey I see you're changing your verbiage a tad. Also, there are still very good reasons to set the crossovers to 80Hz or even higher regardless of speaker capabilities.
post #3337 of 11349 Old 12-12-2008, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Please read the FAQ on page 1, esp. the sections on surround mode vs. input signal. Also read the AVR FAQ and get a grasp on what those surround modes mean. Come back if you have specific follow-up questions.

Nice to have you back offering help after a thread detour. I for one bought my 789 because of the constructive information and assistance you provided earlier on this thread. I felt confident I could overcome the steep learning curve of the bleeping manual by taking your advice - and I did. And for new and potentially new owners, it is reassuring to know that a friend is close at hand with helpful tips. I have been there.

I hope you keep it up. There will be more than a few new owners landing here soon, what with Christmas just around the corner. Your contributions to their enjoyment of their new AVR are huge. And you have a pleasant way of redirecting reader attention elsewhere when it warrants.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
post #3338 of 11349 Old 12-12-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Hey I see you're changing your verbiage a tad. Also, there are still very good reasons to set the crossovers to 80Hz or even higher regardless of speaker capabilities.

And especially when the speaker manufacturer recommends it - as is the case with mine. (Aperion)

Dana

post #3339 of 11349 Old 12-12-2008, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, that's how I'd always been setting it before this, to small. It actually sounds pretty good to my ears now with 2 channel music with MultiEQ on. I might change it a little later and try how it sounds on small fronts, but won't that mess up the curve that Audyssey has created? I skimmed most of this thread and most of the Audyssey one and that was the general impression it gave me, but I could be wrong.

Audyssey will still work fine even if you tweak speaker parameters like xover freq. or small/large.

As an FYI, putting the receiver in "DIRECT" mode disables bass management. If you have big fronts that can handle 2-channel music, here is a good suggestion (this is what I do) to take advantage of this:

1. Go to the 2 CH DIRECT/STEREO settings in the AUDIO OPTIONS menu, and set them up as "small" with a 60- or 80-Hz crossover or whatever you prefer.

2. Turn on DIRECT mode and go into the PARAMETERS menu, turn sub to "OFF".

Now, if you want to listen to stereo music in 2.1 (with the sub engaged), put it in STEREO mode. If you want to listen to 2-channel in 2.0 (just your two fronts full range), put it in DIRECT mode (the sub will now be off and the fronts will get full range). Then, you can easily toggle between 2.1 and 2.0 for stereo music depending on your mood/tastes.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3340 of 11349 Old 12-12-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:

Common result of Audyssey, especially when your surrounds are the "weak link" in the speaker chain. A lot of people find that, after adding Audyssey to their system, the surrounds are placed much more "aggressively" in the mix.

Just tune it to your preferences, go into MANUAL SETUP and then CHANNEL LEVEL and trim down the surrounds a few dB's till you get a mix you like. Won't screw anything up....

ok... but when this is done the little square around audyssey multi eq goes away. does that mean anything ?
post #3341 of 11349 Old 12-12-2008, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Audyssey will still work fine even if you tweak speaker parameters like xover freq. or small/large.

As an FYI, putting the receiver in "DIRECT" mode disables bass management. If you have big fronts that can handle 2-channel music, here is a good suggestion (this is what I do) to take advantage of this:

1. Go to the 2 CH DIRECT/STEREO settings in the AUDIO OPTIONS menu, and set them up as "small" with a 60- or 80-Hz crossover or whatever you prefer.

2. Turn on DIRECT mode and go into the PARAMETERS menu, turn sub to "OFF".

Now, if you want to listen to stereo music in 2.1 (with the sub engaged), put it in STEREO mode. If you want to listen to 2-channel in 2.0 (just your two fronts full range), put it in DIRECT mode (the sub will now be off and the fronts will get full range). Then, you can easily toggle between 2.1 and 2.0 for stereo music depending on your mood/tastes.

Thanks for the tip batpig! I'm going to try that out tonight over cocktails.

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #3342 of 11349 Old 12-12-2008, 12:46 PM

Please pardon my ignorance, but can someone please tell me what HDP stands for and what type of input does it support. Is this by chance where I can input my PC monitor signal (using the HDMI2 connection)?

Just received my 1909 and looking forward to getting it setup with my new HDTV, HD cable box, and blu-ray player (as well as my PC). Any advise appreciated.
post #3343 of 11349 Old 12-12-2008, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeifeld View Post

Please pardon my ignorance, but can someone please tell me what HDP stands for and what type of input does it support. Is this by chance where I can input my PC monitor signal (using the HDMI2 connection)?

Just received my 1909 and looking forward to getting it setup with my new HDTV, HD cable box, and blu-ray player (as well as my PC). Any advise appreciated.

You can rename it to anything you want, and it supports any type of input. For me I have the 360 in HDMI 1, PC in HDMI 2, and then the Wii is a TV/Cbl input through the components.

post #3344 of 11349 Old 12-12-2008, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeifeld View Post

Batpig offered his observations here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post15256834 You should read his post in full.

HDP likely stands for "High Definition Player" as contrasted with DVD Player. Batpig's best advice. Assign whatever devices you have to whatever inputs you want. Just remember what goes where. You can rename the inputs so they will show on the AVR front display with the names you give them.

Dana

post #3345 of 11349 Old 12-12-2008, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
HDP=HiDefPlayer

edit: my post is redundant- wow what fast responses-you guys are great!

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #3346 of 11349 Old 12-12-2008, 01:51 PM

Thanks jhoff80, drdonbi, SoundofMind for your useful and incredibly quick replies. You guys have a great forum - I look forward to continued participation.
post #3347 of 11349 Old 12-12-2008, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknyc View Post

ok... but when this is done the little square around audyssey multi eq goes away. does that mean anything ?

I believe that is just a signal to let you know you are using MultEQ, but with manually adjusted parameters. I think if you hit "Restore" and reset everything back to Audyssey's defaults that it chose for you, the little square should reappear.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3348 of 11349 Old 12-12-2008, 02:24 PM
brj

Thanks, jhoff - that was what I (think I) needed!

Quote:

If you check the pdf linked to earlier in this page (http://home.tampabay.rr.com/latino/p...9_IR_Codes.pdf) it appears that yes there are discrete codes for Power on and power off as well as quick input 1-3. I've no idea how to convert this format into something usable though like linked to in that other thread.

post #3349 of 11349 Old 12-12-2008, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

denon AVR's have had discrete on/off codes for years, no worries.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3350 of 11349 Old 12-12-2008, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brj View Post

...(I'm trying to find a receiver to simplify the parent's AV system, ...And any suggestions on where to buy this unit besides the normal Google and Pricegrabber links would be appreciated as well!)

It is so cool to imagine your setting your parents up with an AVR with such great SQ. Makes visiting all the nicer?

As to shopping, there are some great deals posted on this thread:
a coupon deal at authorized estores such as http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post15265343
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post15257898.

There is also the Microsoft Live Search cashback deal, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15171077
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15027177.
I think ebay has an additional 10% coupon deal now as well.
Local CC stores closing? Good deals can be found there as well. Hope this helps. Good hunting.

post #3351 of 11349 Old 12-12-2008, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post

I hope [batpig] keeps it up. There will be more than a few new owners landing here soon, what with Christmas just around the corner. Your contributions to their enjoyment of their new AVR are huge. And you have a pleasant way of redirecting reader attention elsewhere when it warrants.

Agreed!
post #3352 of 11349 Old 12-13-2008, 05:24 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknyc View Post

P. 49 of the Owner's Manual confirms that whenever the auto setup measuring results are changed, the little square around "Audyssey MultiEQ" goes away.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3353 of 11349 Old 12-13-2008, 06:25 AM

Can someone please reccomend for me If it is better for the 1909 to be in the stand by mode when I leave for work all day (8 to 10 hours )or should I completely POWER OFF ?
post #3354 of 11349 Old 12-13-2008, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsDat View Post

Can someone please reccomend for me If it is better for the 1909 to be in the stand by mode when I leave for work all day (8 to 10 hours )or should I completely POWER OFF ?

I leave it on Standby. The specs page 82 of the 789 Owner's Manual indicates that it draws 0.3 watts on Standby.

Dana

post #3355 of 11349 Old 12-13-2008, 06:54 AM

Thank you,drbonbi
post #3356 of 11349 Old 12-13-2008, 07:41 AM

As a newbie I would like to create a folder or bookmark post from this forum to help me in my quest for knowledge i.e.1909..I notice that there are a few choices in the forum such as 'digg,'delicious,'google' etc. It seems I have to set up another account in order to do this. Does anyone have a preference on wich one is better?....my goal is to copy certain post and create a book in the order of my learning curve. Thanks!

p.s. Hey batpig, if you ever decide to write a book,"THE DENON 1909 FOR DUMMIES" I will buy it.
post #3357 of 11349 Old 12-13-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As a newbie I would like to create a folder or bookmark post from this forum to help me in my quest for knowledge i.e.1909..I notice that there are a few choices in the forum such as 'digg,'delicious,'google' etc. It seems I have to set up another account in order to do this. Does anyone have a preference on wich one is better?....my goal is to copy certain post and create a book in the order of my learning curve. Thanks!

p.s. Hey batpig, if you ever decide to write a book,"THE DENON 1909 FOR DUMMIES" I will buy it.

I agree on a "Denon for Dummies"-great idea! And batpig's nom de plume should be "Dr. Denon".
Not being the most sophisticated with computers, I have simply copied the portions of the thread which I find useful and pasted them to my own "Denon Guide" document.

post #3358 of 11349 Old 12-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The manual implies that I can select different inputs for each zone in a 2 zone setup. Is that true? For example, if 'm, say, watching TV on Zone 1, can I play a CD player in Zone 2?

Thanks,

Mitch
post #3359 of 11349 Old 12-13-2008, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

If you hit the Link button (upper right on each post) it will give you the link for that particular post like this that you can bookmark.
post #3360 of 11349 Old 12-13-2008, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G View Post

The manual implies that I can select different inputs for each zone in a 2 zone setup. Is that true? For example, if 'm, say, watching TV on Zone 1, can I play a CD player in Zone 2?

that's the whole point of zone 2!! thus the 2-zone/2-source designation.

you should know, however, that you cannot output any digital audio to zone 2. any sources you want to send to zone 2 need to also be connected with an analog RCA (red/white) cable.

I've actually been contemplating a "denon for dummies" website with a set up guide and terminology glossary. Maybe I can get Denon to hire me as a usability designer and manual copy editor.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page