*Official* Denon AVR 1909/789 Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2008, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
same here Im in on preorder. Hoping to get my orbs this week so I can all them up and installed....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2008, 04:29 PM

I just got the pre order deal at JR within the last 2 hours!
Old 07-30-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxray View Post

does anyone know when the pre-order price will no longer be offered?

I'd think once the receiver is in stock for immediate shipping, but who knows, the J&R fellow may still offer the deal if you call him direct even at that point. Someone should call and ask him if he can offer similar pricing for the 2309 and 2809 since they will clearly be released very soon.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So anyone find it odd that others are starting to get stock (BB/amazon/etc), what's the hold up with J&R?
Old 07-30-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post

So anyone find it odd that others are starting to get stock (BB/amazon/etc), what's the hold up with J&R?

Stock is the hold up. This may be shipping from various distributors to the retail stores/online stores. I dont think there is more to it than that.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:16 PM

When I ordered mine today he had no real idea when they would be in, 2 weeks to a month is what he said!
Old 07-30-2008, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post

I got my pre-order deal in today and I'm counting my blessings that they don't have it in stock yet, as I don't believe the big pre-order discount will be available once they have stock

to each his own...
Old 07-30-2008, 06:58 PM

I called JR and pre-ordered just before 6PM eastern. I got Jacque's voice mail so I just called the regular sales number and got a random salesperson. He quoted me a higher price, but after some checking gave me the lower price and free shipping. Great deal.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyelvis View Post

I called JR and pre-ordered just before 6PM eastern. I got Jacque's voice mail so I just called the regular sales number and got a random salesperson. He quoted me a higher price, but after some checking gave me the lower price and free shipping. Great deal.

Interesting, because I called the 800 number about 5:55pm and had to do no hagglingly. To be certain, I did have the guy repeat the price several times to me and also received a confirmation email promptly.
Yep, great deal.
Prior to learning about this I had been thinking, ok wait for BB to sell it for list, find a 10% off coupon, apply reward points and it still wouldn't come close to this deal.

to each his own...
Old 07-30-2008, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slogun View Post

Prior to learning about this I had been thinking, ok wait for BB to sell it for list, find a 10% off coupon, apply reward points and it still wouldn't come close to this deal.

My situation exactly. I got green lighted for 400-600 for a new AVR by the wife. This price was a no brainer even with in store discounts when you get them. The wait is nice too, as it lets these real early adopters test it while we just sit patiently and wait. If there's problems, cancellation will be easy. I'm just hoping for 2 things. 1. My current AVR will still fetch what I've seen on EBAY bringing the price down even further. And 2, I will get mine before you late preorderers.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
Old 07-30-2008, 08:00 PM

I spoke to Robert from Value Electronics and he's also selling the AVR-1909 for the same price as JR. He should have them delivered to him tomorrow, I'll be picking up mine on Friday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harrison View Post

JR now accepting preorders for the Denon AVR 1909 for $499.00 Contact Jacque at
800-221-8180 ext 1015.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

just a heads up

usually the preorder price can be also used when the item is in stock

worked for me before for other things ordered thru JR

Blu-Ray Supporter
Old 07-30-2008, 08:06 PM

I don't usually complain about what others post, but sheesh, doesn't anyone have anyting to say other than where to buy a 1909? This is supposed to be a technical support forum.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs View Post

I don't usually complain about what others post, but sheesh, doesn't anyone have anyting to say other than where to buy a 1909? This is supposed to be a technical support forum.

Heck, it is just coming out, we do need to obtain one first, before we can discuss it further...

to each his own...
Old 07-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

You look like you've been around the site for awhile, that's the usual track most threads take, feverish anticipation, repeated pricing and availability discussion, early excited reviews, then the bugs and issues are discussed...end of thread, repeat for next announced model.

Quote:

Old 07-30-2008, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncros View Post

I spoke to Robert from Value Electronics and he's also selling the AVR-1909 for the same price as JR. He should have them delivered to him tomorrow, I'll be picking up mine on Friday!

He is not listed as authorized dealer on Denon's site. So I would be cautious...
Old 07-30-2008, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I browsed through the manual and could not locate if there is any way to save your eq settings to one or two memory locations.
My current Pioneer 1015 has this and I believe the same for Pioneer 1018.
This is not a deal breaker, but as I was leaning towards 1909, just wnated to know if it exists.
Thanks..
Old 07-30-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:

...doesn't anyone have anyting to say other than where to buy a 1909? This is supposed to be a technical support forum.

I was reading the manual, then tried to adjust the settings on my 1909.

Quickly, though, I realized there was a major technical issue. The settings didnt work, since I dont have the AVR yet I preordered!

hehe.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Remember that you can't output digital audio to Zone 2, so any sources you are considering for this output need to be hooked up with analog RCA's.

If you're listening to 2 channel stereo in the main room, is it possible to listen to the same digital source in zone 2?

If not, are there any other work arounds for this? I wonder if you could run an analog stereo output from the TV back to the receiver. If HDMI digital audio is being passed through the receiver to the TV, would the TV be able to output an analog signal back to the receiver for zone 2?

I just want to listen to the same stereo music that's playing in the living room on the back patio speakers.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:45 PM

I currently have an HK avr-230 - a simple receiver that I've been very happy with. I intend to get a new receiver so that I can run everything through hdmi. I want the "best" receiver I can get in this price range, but I honestly don't know exactly what to look for.

I have been following the hk-254 thread along with this one (even though it doesn't seem that others consider these to be competing receivers). I gather from my reading that the two are comparable, both upconvert, are good brands, etc. I haven't been able to determine any major feature distinguishing one from the other - other than the Audyssey features (which seem very useful to me). Is this correct?

I am leaning heavily towards preordering the Denon primarily because of the many complaints/problems in the HK thread and the lack of these in this thread. Unlike many posters here, I do not intend to replace this receiver for several years (and will be very disappointed if I have to). So a bug free receiver is very important to me.

So my question is - are the Denon receivers much more reliable, as it seems to me from the 2 threads. Or, as suggested earlier, is this thread just in the "anticipation" stage with complaints, etc to come later?

Also, how reliable are Denon receivers in general (do they run hot like Onkyos or have other known problems)? I have only purchased one Denon product - a mini system that was fairly expensive (to me) for what it is. Unfortunately, after the cd player plays for a short time you begin to hear an audible buzz -(all other inputs are fine). Even though you obviously can not extrapolate anything from one purchase it did make me reluctant to purchase another Denon product. Was this an isolated incident for a normally reliable brand?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I really want to purchase this receiver. But if the the types of problems I am seeing in the HK thread are inherent to all new hdmi receivers (as I have seen suggested in that thread), or Denons in particular, I would probably need to wait for a future generation receiver when the kinks have been worked out.

Thanks
OMeany
Old 07-30-2008, 10:12 PM

Wow im really choked. Im going to have to call in to JR- Here in Vancouver- this is in stock and going for 779.
Thats rip from 499. Ticks me off!!!!

Btw, Does the THD on this matter comparing to 0.05?
Old 07-30-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsMadClown View Post

Ditto. I'd be very interested to know what the idle power consumption is. The Pioneer 1018 is Energy Star Rated, but this is not. However, the Pioneer 1018 doesn't have a switched outlet to power secondary equipment, so there's the idle power draw of that secondary equipment to consider.

I now own a Denon 1909. The idle power in CD mode is 54w. For comparison, the Onkyo 606 is about 62w, the Pioneer 918 is 49w, the Yamaha 663 is 49w, the Denon 788 is 56w and the Denon 988 is 72w. This is only idle power and does not take into consideration the power consumed when playing music. However I know that at a low listening level with the Denon 1909 it appears to be only a couple of watts more. When I tested the Onkyo 606 at a moderate sound level the power went up to about 100 watts but sound level with the Denon 1909 was probably lower because it is late and people are trying to sleep.

I watched Pearl Harbor and was impressed enough to know that I like Bluray.

I placed my hand on top of the 1909 after watching Pearl Harbor and it was hot, but not too hot to leave my hand there.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:45 AM

Major question for me.

I know HDMI Signals remain untouched and no processing on them. But is this Reciever full BTB?? Any help would be great!
Old 07-31-2008, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusty View Post

I just want to listen to the same stereo music that's playing in the living room on the back patio speakers.

Can't you just use the front speaker "B" option for the patio speakers?

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
Old 07-31-2008, 06:10 AM

Setting up audessey with the microphone on top of your head as you move to the suggested positions. Good or not good. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:11 AM

Well, after 4 days of having it sit in a box in my living room, it looks like tonight is finally the night where HOPEFULLY I have time to hook up my AVR-1909 and see how it sounds!

It's been driving me nuts, coming home from work every day and seeing it sit there on the floor, knowing I was too busy to hook it up.

I will hopefully post up my listening impressions (and maybe some pictures) within the next 2 or 3 days.

For those still looking, I don't know how much luck you will have, but I got mine from Best Buy, with 12% off coupon, for $606.30 after taxes.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagakay View Post

Setting up audessey with the microphone on top of your head as you move to the suggested positions. Good or not good. Thanks.

ahahahahaha

unless you can turn into a solid statue, probably not your best bet.

Your best bet is to go buy a cheap camera tripod from somewhere, and rest the microphone on it at each position, at the proper height. You can always return the tripod when you are done with it (just leave all the tags on).

You definitely don't want to sit it on your head, no matter how still you think you can sit.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

Can't you just use the front speaker "B" option for the patio speakers?

That is what I thought. However, I bought a 988 over the weekend thinking it would work that way, and it don't. I could switch my old Sony to B - and that was all that played as long as the surround mode was turned off. I could not get the Denon 988 to work that way. I changed my outdoor speakers the the Back (supposed to be an assignable amp) and still could not get it to play by it's self. Would be very interested in how to do this. I like to play the music stations from Direct TV over my patio speakers while outside around the pool. I can't make it work unless its also playing in the house.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagakay View Post

Does your head make any noise?
Old 07-31-2008, 07:30 AM

Unconfirmed, but J/R may be +100 more now to $599 for preorders.

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver