post #4771 of 11355 Old 01-26-2009, 06:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoy ola View Post

when I accessed the fader with the OSD on the TV, it showed where center was. I want to get back to that screen. Anyone know how?

that information is not part of the setup menus but rather is the type of video OSD overlay like the volume bar. If the monitor is connected via HDMI/component, it will only show up if you switch to an S-video or composite source. If you have an S-video or composite connection to the monitor you can also just switch to that input on your TV.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 11355 Old 01-26-2009, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, got a couple questions about the auto setup.

1) I've already run through the setup once. Should I reset to factory defaults before running the setup again?

2)My main listening position is the middle couch that is about 8 x 2.75 feet. When placing the mic should I move the couch out of the way and put the mic in it's place?

I've attached a pic of the room it's being setup in. Thanks for any info.
LL
post #4773 of 11355 Old 01-26-2009, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arraaz77 View Post

Hi Gary...I thought it was pretty weird also when I bought the house but in essence if you are seating on the couch and looking straight ahead at the wall (about 10 feet away) with the TV in it and you look up that wall towards the ceiling there are 2 rectangle speakers built in (on each end of wall left and right) and right above it in the ceiling there is the 3 circle speakers built in the ceiling (left, center, right) and behind me and above in the ceiling, again 2 cirlce speakers (left, right) and on the floor on left is the woofer connected to a pre-wired wall jack. So I kept trying to figure what are the main speakers(left, right ) in the front out of the 5 and I keep coming back to the fact that the center speaker is like the one in the left, right of it that are circle and the square ones in the wall have too be the surround....Hopefully auto set up knows this or I connected them the righ way

It may be that the two rectangular speakers were part of a BGM (background music system). I used to install systems in high-end homes and often times the client wanted a separate set of speakers in the same room as their home theater. That way when they had music playing throughout the house, they didn't have to mess with their theater speakers. A second thought is that sometimes clients wanted separate speakers for just listening to stereo music, and again, to not have to mess with the surround system. Depending on how long ago the speakers were installed, it is pretty likely the owner did not have a 7.1 system. Just some food for thought.
post #4774 of 11355 Old 01-26-2009, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsword95 View Post

Hey guys, got a couple questions about the auto setup.

1) I've already run through the setup once. Should I reset to factory defaults before running the setup again?

2)My main listening position is the middle couch that is about 8 x 2.75 feet. When placing the mic should I move the couch out of the way and put the mic in it's place?

I've attached a pic of the room it's being setup in. Thanks for any info.

1) No, not necessary. Audyssey will overwrite completely anyway.

2) Not unless you regularly move the couch prior to watching TV or a movie, or listening to music. All kidding aside, if the furniture is there, leave it there; just make sure you use a tripod for each measurement and keep the following from the Audyssey thread in mind:

Quote:

E. Place the microphone at ear height when seated.
F. If the seat back is higher than your head, ensure the microphone is above the seat back.
1. If the seat back is a few inches behind the microphone, this will cause additional reflections.

post #4775 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 03:14 AM

hey gang... just wanted to thank everyone here for the all the great information. i finally purchased my 1909 on sunday... hopefully it'll arrive towards the end of the week.

i also wanted to share some deals i found. a previous poster mentioned that calling the j & r 800 number got him/her a better price on the 1909. i tried the other day and s/he was right... if you push them, they'll offer up the receiver for $499.

and by mistake i came across a coupon site called bountii.com where you can get the receiver from 6th ave for 486.75. sorry, it's my first post to the forum and i'm not allowed to post the entire link. but if you search for the 1909 you should be able to find the deal i'm talking about.

anyhow... thanks again all. best.
post #4776 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

because Denon remotes S-U-C-K!!

Seriously...

How can a company that makes such an amazing receiver have NO CLUE how to make a manual or remote that is even functional?
post #4777 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdeane View Post

1) No, not necessary. Audyssey will overwrite completely anyway.

2) Not unless you regularly move the couch prior to watching TV or a movie, or listening to music. All kidding aside, if the furniture is there, leave it there; just make sure you use a tripod for each measurement and keep the following from the Audyssey thread in mind:

Sorry, stupid question. Some of the listening points require moving the mic forward two feet. That would require me to place the tripod on my couch. Will that mess up the the measurements at all? Thanks.
post #4778 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 08:22 AM

I just got this receiver last week but I won't have my new speakers for a few more days. When I got it I just wanted to make sure it powered up and worked. So I just put it on my kitchen counter, hooked up 2 small bookshelf speakers and my old DVD player and put in a CD. The amp worked but I really had to crank the volume way up to get sound out of it. Is this normal? Since I didn't use audyseey or anything I was wondering if they ship with the levels set low or something. Thanks.
post #4779 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 09:19 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:

Sorry, stupid question. Some of the listening points require moving the mic forward two feet. That would require me to place the tripod on my couch. Will that mess up the the measurements at all? Thanks.

Unless your couch is against the wall, most likely the primary positions will be on the couch. Just ensure the mic is raised to ear level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottns View Post

I just got this receiver last week but I won't have my new speakers for a few more days. When I got it I just wanted to make sure it powered up and worked. So I just put it on my kitchen counter, hooked up 2 small bookshelf speakers and my old DVD player and put in a CD. The amp worked but I really had to crank the volume way up to get sound out of it. Is this normal? Since I didn't use audyseey or anything I was wondering if they ship with the levels set low or something. Thanks.

What is the sensitivity of your speakers? Less sensitive speakers (as inexpensive bookshelf speakers tend to be) require more power to get to a certain volume.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4780 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 09:38 AM

How do I set the Dynimic volume default to 'ON'? Every time I turn the receiver ON or switch the channels, it defaults to 'OFF' (red LED).
Also it seems that the volume level also default to some prest value. How do I change the default volume levels per input?
post #4781 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Looking at the picture of your setup, I would make the first measurement be the center position on the main couch facing the TV (line it up so it's on the center line with the middle of the TV screen and the front speakers). You can set the tripod on the couch cushion or, better yet, if you have a taller tripod with telescoping legs, you can set it up so two legs are on the floor in front of the couch and one is up on the couch cushion.

Just get that mic positioned so it's a couple of inches above the back of the couch vertically, and several inches forward from the rear cushion so you don't get reflections. Then, do the 2nd and 3rd position to either side on the same couch (same vertical/horizontal position relative to the 1st measurement). For the next three just put down the third leg and set the tripod on the floor (which should keep the mic at the same height) and do three measurements a few feet forward from the couch.

They don't have to be precisely 2 feet apart or exactly in a perfect rectangle, but just make to use a tripod, get that first position in the "center" spot so distances/levels are balanced correctly, and then get a nice sample of measurements around and in front of the first point.

I would forget about trying to measure at all on that side couch by the wall.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4782 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So I just put it on my kitchen counter, hooked up 2 small bookshelf speakers and my old DVD player and put in a CD. The amp worked but I really had to crank the volume way up to get sound out of it. Is this normal?

Well it totally depends, as JD said the efficiency of your speakers has a lot to do with it..... but more importantly, can you define "crank it up"? What volume numbers are we talking about here?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4783 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivko_bg View Post

How do I set the Dynimic volume default to 'ON'? Every time I turn the receiver ON or switch the channels, it defaults to 'OFF' (red LED).
Also it seems that the volume level also default to some prest value. How do I change the default volume levels per input?

You can change the power on volume to anything you want under MANUAL SETUP > OPTION SETUP > VOL. CONTROL. Then you can balance each input by altering the "source level" up to +/- 12dB for any source, which is set by input in the INPUT SETUP menu.

However, it should "remember" your Dynamic Volume setting when you power off and back on. If it never remembers your settings, you probably need to do a microprocessor reset and start over. Or, if you have a Harmony or other remote that can be programmed, you can input the Dynamic Volume discrete codes and just make buttons on the remote to take you directly there.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4784 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Well it totally depends, as JD said the efficiency of your speakers has a lot to do with it..... but more importantly, can you define "crank it up"? What volume numbers are we talking about here?

The speakers are probably 15 year old NHTs. Pretty small bookshelf speakers so that's probably it. I had the volume up to 80db or so (if I remember right).
post #4785 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 10:19 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:

The speakers are probably 15 year old NHTs. Pretty small bookshelf speakers so that's probably it. I had the volume up to 80db or so (if I remember right).

NHT bookshelf speakers have a low sensitivity/efficiency as well as in some cases being 6 ohm, both of which would require a higher volume setting. Although the volume setting goes from -80db to +20db so not sure what "80db" means unless you were using a SPL meter.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4786 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

NHT bookshelf speakers have a low sensitivity/efficiency as well as in some cases being 6 ohm, both of which would require a higher volume setting. Although the volume setting goes from -80db to +20db so not sure what "80db" means unless you were using a SPL meter.

That means I don't remember what was actually on the display It was probably just the speakers then. That's for making me a bit less clueless.
post #4787 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 11:45 AM

I've posted this in the 889 thread and didn't get any response, so I'll post it here and hope for success. I've searched in the 789, 889 and 989 threads, and can't seem to find the discrete hex codes for the MultEQ options of 'Audyssey', 'Audyssey Byp. L/R', 'Audyssey Flat', 'Manual' and 'Off'.

Does anyone have the codes for these?

Thanks.
post #4788 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtsl1 View Post

I've posted this in the 889 thread and didn't get any response, so I'll post it here and hope for success. I've searched in the 789, 889 and 989 threads, and can't seem to find the discrete hex codes for the MultEQ options of 'Audyssey', 'Audyssey Byp. L/R', 'Audyssey Flat', 'Manual' and 'Off'.

Does anyone have the codes for these?

Thanks.

This post links to alot of the hex codes, but makes mention (follow the last link for surround modes) that there may not be discrete codes for Audyssey modes:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post14972522
post #4789 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

yeah, there doesn't appear to be any discretes for Room EQ's. But you can just cycle through them by pressing the "MultEQ" button on the remote. It's much less of a pain than having to go into the PARAMETERS menu to change the day/eve/midnight setting.

Also, you can delete unused Room EQ's to make it easier to cycle through, under MANUAL SETUP > AUDIO SETUP > EQ PRESET. So for example if you never use "Front Bypass" or "Manual" you can set them to "Not Used" and then when you cycle through using the "MultEQ" button it will just cycle between "off", "audyssey", and "flat".

You could also try sending a PM to user "The Soapbox Kid", he is the one who came up with all the hex codes in the 2809/989 thread. He may be able to work it out for you (and if so, let us know!)

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4790 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 12:38 PM

This may be helpful for any users wanting to load up their remote with codes. It appears to be all codes for a 2809/989 unit (most should work for 1909/789 as well):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=8256
post #4791 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

just move the mic around to six different spots on the coffee table to keep the height consistent, they don't literally have to be in your physical seating position.

From what you are you saying, :
a) I'm guesing I should make the first Audessy mic. position in the middle of the listening area on the main listening couch (1' right of main listening position).
b) The order of mic. positions 2-6 do not need to correlate with the seating order/preference?
c) how far from center of listening position left, right, forward and back would help Audessy correct for my room's (31' L x 23' W) anomolies? The back wall of the room, where the 7.1 speakers are mounted (7' from floor aimed and tilted at position '(1)' )

Remember that the FIRST measurement is the most important, this one should be in the center of the listening area even if your "primary seat" isn't actually in the middle. The first position sets your speaker distances/delays and the channel levels to balance everything out, so you want that one to be as close to the middle of the listening "zone" as possible. Then the other five positions allow the Audyssey system to learn about the acoustics of your room so it can correct and create filters for proper response.

Also, FOLLOW THE STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE. It will help

I was confused about what (6) positions to use and their order in my seating environment. I had assumed from the step by step guide that I should use the positions and order below. Any hints of more appropriate mic. placement and order would be appreciated.

The positions preferences and order I used previouly w/ Audessy are:
1) Main position- 1' left of center (left side of main 3 person couch)
2) second position- 3.5' right of center
3) third position- 5' left of center & 3' forward (2nd 3 person couch)
This couch is to the far left of screen. Not optimal viewing, but my wife likes to lay down over there to watch sometimes.

Note: 4), 5) (chairs placed behind couch), & 6) are only used maybe 5-10% of the time when guests are over. The rest of the time it is just me and the wifey in 1) & 2).
4) forth position 3' behind & 1' right of 1) Main pos.
5) fifth position 3' behind & 3' right of 1) Main pos.
6) sixth position, when we are 'forced to give up our fold out food table'! is 1' right of center.
post #4792 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

the step-by-step and my statements have been pretty clear:

1. the FIRST position is the most important and should be in the center of the listening "zone" even it that's not literally the "primary seating position". This first position is vital because it is used to set all the distances/levels.

2. the order of the other positions doesn't matter, you are just capturing more acoustical information about the listening space, so you don't have to "prioritize" and put less-used positions as measurements 5 and 6 or whatever.

3. you don't LITERALLY have to measure in all the seats, it's better to get a cluster of measurements spaced out a few feet from the 1st position. Don't measure WAY out of the main area or outside of the two front speakers, even if people actually sit there, as Audyssey will try to incorrectly boost the treble to deal with off-axis response out there.

4. stay at least 2 ft away from room boundaries (walls)

5. keep the mic (vertically) a couple of inches above seatbacks if at all possible and (horizontally) several inches away from couch cushions or other reflective surfaces

From your description, since most of your measurements are within 3-5 feet of the 1st position, you should be fine as long as you aren't straying far outside of the front two speakers and make sure to stay away from couch cushions, walls, etc.

But feel free to experiment, try running it again with a tighter cluster of points around the main position and see if you like the results. It's all about what sounds good to you at the end...

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4793 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 02:37 PM

I tried asking this question before but will try to state it differently.
Any time I have the tv on and then turn the receiver 1909 on, it goes to no signal and the receiver shuts down to the quick flashing red lights. I then have to turn it off and back on. ? anything i should change in the setup, or is the unit defective
post #4794 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

does it happen when HDMI control is OFF?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4795 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by davekro View Post

I was confused about what (6) positions to use and their order in my seating environment. I had assumed from the step by step guide that I should use the positions and order below. Any hints of more appropriate mic. placement and order would be appreciated.

The Guide even has a picture!

Gary J

post #4796 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:

does it happen when HDMI control is OFF?

When the control is off, I can turn the tv on first then the receiver and its fine.

Also tried it a few times with the hdmi control on, and usually turns to the flashing red, but when i was on the phone with abt.com support it worked fine.
Frustrating when it works when im calling support
post #4797 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

sounds like goofiness with HDMI Control is the culprit. not sure how to resolve that, you have may to screw around with different options.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4798 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 04:14 PM

I'm about to purchase this Reciever in the near future. Hoping you guys could help me out w/ my setup.

LG 42" plasma (1080i) - HDMI to AVR
XBOX 360 - Component and Optical to AVR (Mine doesn't have HDMI)
HD DVR - HDMI to AVR
Blu-ray (BD35) - HDMI to AVR

Now, I've read that it's recommended to use components and optical from the TV to the AVR, is that correct?

Also, which cable would i need to buy in order to get the OSD to work for set up?

Does this setup look good to you guys, or would you recommend something else?
post #4799 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I have a problem when surfing channels using my Denon 1909. When I switch between channels (normally between standard definition and HD, but sometimes between HD channels) the TV goes blank, then it reads "no signal or weak signal" before finally switching to the channel. It's a little annoying.

Because the HDMI on my TV doesn't work, I'm using component cables for video and optical cables for audio. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Any idea what this might be?

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Ascend Acoustics Towers (NrT)
Ascend Horizon Center (NrT)
Definitive Technology Surrounds BP1.2X
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #4800 of 11355 Old 01-27-2009, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll View Post

LG 42" plasma (1080i) - HDMI to AVRXBOX 360 - Component and Optical to AVR (Mine doesn't have HDMI) HD DVR - HDMI to AVR
Blu-ray (BD35) - HDMI to AVR
Now, I've read that it's recommended to use components and optical from the TV to the AVR, is that correct?
Also, which cable would i need to buy in order to get the OSD to work for set up?

"it's recommended to use components and optical from the TV to the AVR" No, not the components but you need to use the optical to get sound from TV to the AVR as you are going Xbox to TV.
All your hookups look good, but in general it isn't a bad idea to hook DVR to AVR via component/optical to avoid potential HDMI handshake issues (not sure that would matter for your setup).OSD works with no extra cables needed.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page