*Official* Denon AVR 1909/789 Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 11338 Old 08-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FYI - My account was just charged for an 8/1 order, looks like another batch might have arrived. Website still shows backordered though.

X360 games up for trade/$: GTA4, Top Spin 3, Jericho, Dark Sector, RB6: Vegas, Burnout Revenge, Gears of War -- PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 11338 Old 08-11-2008, 04:46 PM

You mean J&R?

Also here is the link to download the 1909 IR Codes. Thanks Bugs.

Denon 1909 IR Codes
post #633 of 11338 Old 08-11-2008, 05:13 PM
aj9

I just pulled the trigger on that awesome "pre-order" deal @ JandR-
-I just couldnt resist.

I really dont care how long it may be backordered for, i figured for the amount of $ saved + free shipping + NO TAX!

i was about to pickup either the 987 or 988, which may or may not have been a better decision, I figured it never hurts to just by the most current release, if i am within the same price range. also, i'm only pushing 5.25" definitive tech inwalls all the way around, so this 1909 should be sufficient.

i've owned an old Denon AVR 2600 for 11 years now!, finally going to replace it. Hopefully this 1909 won't dissappoint.

i'm going to blame this thread if my wife has a fit!
post #634 of 11338 Old 08-11-2008, 05:40 PM

Does anyone know if Denon has improved the on screen menu set up with the 1909 or this generation in general. I remember setting up a 788 for a friend it was a pain in the a!! to deal with. The manual was one of the worst I had ever dealt with as well. Even doing minor adjustments seem to be a pain. Not very intuitive like the H/K, NAD, and Marantz units I have set up.
post #635 of 11338 Old 08-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruizgarcia View Post

You mean J&R?

Also here is the link to download the 1909 IR Codes. Thanks Bugs.

Denon 1909 IR Codes

Can someone explain how can these IR codes be useful to 1909 users ?
post #636 of 11338 Old 08-11-2008, 06:13 PM
ekk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

Not quite. There was about 8 responses in a row due to my questioning of the shipping method used as I'm expecting mine later than most from J&R when someone got all pissy about it. Tomorrow can't get here soon enough.

Now OT:
No offense to Bugs but he should really link the thread that talks about all the devices, not just the IR2BT so you can compare. Based on your cost preference though, the IR2BT is looking to be about right for you, but it has some inherent flaws that some other users might not want. Check this thread out for yourself. It's got some great info in it.

thanks for that link. ill bookmark and see which option to go with. just picked up a used ps3 off ebay so first off, hopefully the unit works! lol
post #637 of 11338 Old 08-11-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulims View Post

Can someone explain how can these IR codes be useful to 1909 users ?

They're needed for programming universal remotes to control the 1909.

I forwarded them to Logitech so they can add them to the database used by Harmony universal remotes.
post #638 of 11338 Old 08-11-2008, 07:15 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs View Post

I have a copy of a 20 page Denon PDF that has all the IR codes for the 1909. Is there a way to post this on AFS (2 mb)? I don't have the capability to host a url for the document, but I'm happy to email it to someone who does. PM me with your email address and I'll send it along.

sent you a PM.

thanks

Edit: Never mind, Bugs. I just download from the link above.
post #639 of 11338 Old 08-11-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj9 View Post

I just pulled the trigger on that awesome "pre-order" deal @ JandR-
-I just couldnt resist.

I'm sure this is already well-known by everyone on this thread, but if you don't mind my asking, what is the pre-order price tag at J&R for this unit?
post #640 of 11338 Old 08-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

$499 shipped.

X360 games up for trade/$: GTA4, Top Spin 3, Jericho, Dark Sector, RB6: Vegas, Burnout Revenge, Gears of War -- PM me!
post #641 of 11338 Old 08-11-2008, 08:49 PM

This is the first "advanced" receiver I've dealt with...the only couple I've had before were simple HTiB receivers (Onkyo) and I didn't use them for video.

So the manual is very Greek to me - can somebody be so kind as to tell me in very simple to understand steps how to go about setting up the video part of things? I'm just worrying about the DirecTV DVR for now, I'll do the DVD/Xbox stuff once I got the DTV figured out. I've connected the DVR to the input labeled VCR via HDMI, and the receiver to my TV via HDMI (monitor out, of course).

Now what?

Thanks a ton to anybody willing to hold my hand through this.
post #642 of 11338 Old 08-11-2008, 09:10 PM

Is there a way to get the 1909 to use Dolby Digital Plus as a default instead of the Dolby Digital EX that it currently uses for my 7.1 setup?
post #643 of 11338 Old 08-12-2008, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiguredMaple View Post

Is there a way to get the 1909 to use Dolby Digital Plus as a default instead of the Dolby Digital EX that it currently uses for my 7.1 setup?

It should be source dependent (logically). I have not found (or tried) any option to force it one way.
How do you know it uses DD-EX as default?
post #644 of 11338 Old 08-12-2008, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiguredMaple View Post

There a remote button (rear) labeled "Std" you can cycle trough it and there is a menu (OSD) selection that says "Last" to use the last mode used for a specific source/type of signal.
post #645 of 11338 Old 08-12-2008, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulims View Post

There a remote button (rear) labeled "Std" you can cycle trough it and there is a menu (OSD) selection that says "Last" to use the last mode used for a specific source/type of signal.

Yes you should be able to cycle through the different modes, I prefer to leave it in the default mode so it uses whatever the source is sending.
post #646 of 11338 Old 08-12-2008, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NADz View Post

Does anyone know if Denon has improved the on screen menu set up with the 1909 or this generation in general. I remember setting up a 788 for a friend it was a pain in the a!! to deal with. The manual was one of the worst I had ever dealt with as well. Even doing minor adjustments seem to be a pain. Not very intuitive like the H/K, NAD, and Marantz units I have set up.

The manual of my 1908 was indeed a pita, and so was the OSD. Ugly like a 1980's home computer display output. And if I look into the manual of the 1909, the OSD looks exactly the same. And since the PDF looks exactly like the PDF for the 1908, the printed manual will probably look the same as well.

So the answer would be "no" to both questions - neither the manual nor the OSD have been improved over the 1908/788.
post #647 of 11338 Old 08-12-2008, 07:03 AM

i just ran the calibration for my 5.1 speaker setup..........all the values looks sane but the front speakers were designated as large, which i'm pretty sure i need to manually set to small (they are small paradigms)

my question is, after changing the front speakers setting to 'small', do i have to re-run the auto-calibration, and if so, how do i stop the denon from automatically setting the front speakers to 'large' again (or will the manual setting take precedence)?

second question: all the speaker levels came in around +10 except for the SW at -4...............should i manually adjust downward the SW (potentiometer currently set to mid-range) to close the spread (range of 14dB)? would this impact the available dynamic range of the system if i don't?

thx
post #648 of 11338 Old 08-12-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post

i just ran the calibration for my 5.1 speaker setup..........all the values looks sane but the front speakers were designated as large, which i'm pretty sure i need to manually set to small (they are small paradigms)

my question is, after changing the front speakers setting to 'small', do i have to re-run the auto-calibration, and if so, how do i stop the denon from automatically setting the front speakers to 'large' again (or will the manual setting take precedence)?

second question: all the speaker levels came in around +10 except for the SW at -4...............should i manually adjust downward the SW (potentiometer currently set to mid-range) to close the spread (range of 14dB)? would this impact the available dynamic range of the system if i don't?

thx

From the Audyssey FAQ:

Why does Audyssey set my speakers to Large (or Small) when I know they are not?
MultEQ does not set the speakers to Large or Small. This is a decision made by each individual AVR manufacturer and each uses a different speaker roll-off frequency to make this decision. Audyssey recommends the decision should be made using 40 Hz as the roll- off frequency. That is to say, if a speaker is found to roll-off below 40 Hz it should be called Large and all other speakers should be called Small.

If your AVR manufacturer sets your speakers to Large then all content below the crossover frequency is lost as it is not redirected to the subwoofer. Audyssey recommends changing the speaker setting to Small manually after the calibration is finished.

What is MultEQ?
Audyssey MultEQ is a acoustical correction technology that calibrates any audio system so that it can achieve optimum performance for every listener within a large listening area. There are two components to MultEQ:

(i) Automatic set up and (ii) Multi-listener equalization.

(i) During automatic set-up MultEQ first finds how many loudspeakers are connected in the system, then determines the loudspeaker type (satellite or subwoofer), checks the absolute polarity of each channel, and identifies the optimum crossover frequency for each loudspeaker and the subwoofer(s). After that it calculates the distance between each loudspeaker and the first microphone position in order to automatically sets the appropriate delays. Finally, it identifies any level differences among the loudspeakers and automatically sets the trims.
(ii) The multi-listener equalization process combines measurements from several locations within the listening area to create filters that address the acoustical problems arising from the interaction of sound with the environment.

When you adjust the settings after running the calibration, you no longer have the Audyssey-calculated room/speaker corrections. It's still a matter of individual preference, but make sure you're making changes because they sound better to you, not because you have a preconcieved idea of what they should be. Even with the Audyssey calibration, I still find that different sources occasionally need some speaker level adjustments for my taste. Some soundtracks seem to emphasize bass more than I like, while others seem to need a boost to the center channel. There's no doubt in my mind that the Audyssey calibration is a great place to start from.
post #649 of 11338 Old 08-12-2008, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

just a heads up

a dude is selling a new denon 1909 on ebay for 600 shipped, use live.com to get 25% back

thats $450 shipped for this receiver

Blu-Ray Supporter
post #650 of 11338 Old 08-12-2008, 08:50 AM
aj9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amel View Post

just a heads up

a dude is selling a new denon 1909 on ebay for 600 shipped, use live.com to get 25% back

thats $450 shipped for this receiver

what's live.com 25% back???

thx

scratch that, i just figured out....

sorry
post #651 of 11338 Old 08-12-2008, 10:57 AM

Is it possible to use the pre-outs designed for Zone 2 to run a power amp for your front LR speakers?

Sorry if the question has been answered before. I've looked everywhere but can't find it (even the manual).

Aaron
post #652 of 11338 Old 08-12-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 925
no - zone 2 preouts are for zone 2 only

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #653 of 11338 Old 08-12-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

no - zone 2 preouts are for zone 2 only

That seems silly since you can use the zone 2 power amp outs to biamp your front LR speakers. Thanks.
post #654 of 11338 Old 08-12-2008, 12:10 PM

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents here... I received my 1909 from J&R on Friday, hooked it up that evening and spent the weekend experimenting with it.

My setup is pretty standard fare, Samsung LN46A550 TV, PS3, Scientific Atlanta HD cable box/DVR and an AppleTV. Setting everything up was pretty straightforward, no major issues. Yesterday I received the XM mini-tuner/dock I purchased on eBay, getting that up and running was a snap.

I was impressed initially, but after running the Audyssey setup I was blown away. I could not be more pleased with this AVR. I'm not an expert and can't offer any comparisons to other models, but I love it so far, and there are still a lot of features I haven't had a chance to fiddle with yet.

I've seen some complaints about the remote, and while it's a long way from ideal it's not as bad as I feared. Although if I had to worry about a wife or someone else learning how to use it, I wouldn't even attempt it. That said, I am definitely anxious for Logitech to update their database with the 1909 codes so I can update my remote (Harmony 550).
post #655 of 11338 Old 08-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

I'll ask this here and over in the speaker section. I have the 1909 and Infinity Beta 40 speakers, is there any real advantage to bi-amping them? I've read some pro's and con's of each but nothing swaying me one way or the other. I'll probably make some cables try it anyway and see for myself but thought I'd those of you with experience.
post #656 of 11338 Old 08-12-2008, 01:01 PM

it's in stock on amazon, with 10$ expedited shipping
but full msrp :\\
post #657 of 11338 Old 08-12-2008, 01:21 PM

Over the last week, my 1909 has started having problems with HDMI. The signal flickers on and off, sometimes sending "green snow" to my TV, sometimes no signal at all. Then eventually it will ~ for lack of a better description~ figure it out and give me video and sound. Sometimes though the video will have a green/blue cast over it. This is happening regardless of the HDMI input - cable box, htpc, and hdmi switch. I have checked all the connections, they are good and tight. I am using newish 24awg cables from monoprice. I'm pretty sure it is not the cable out to the TV causing the problem because the source info on the AVR screen flickers along with the signal.

Anyone else have HDMI issues? Any ideas what the problem could be? I'm thinking I may need to exchange it at Best Buy this weekend. I didn't get the extended warranty so I have to act quick before my 30 day return window is up.
post #658 of 11338 Old 08-12-2008, 01:31 PM

I found a 1909 locally (BB) and snagged it. I had my 10% coupon and three $25 gift certificates so it saved me some money. Will hook it up tomorrow. I called J&R and cancelled my order; the rep told me they had a shipment in.
post #659 of 11338 Old 08-12-2008, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

If UPS comes today - I should be starting the hook up process tonight. I'll be able to give my impressions of a H/K 335 to Denon 1909 switch to utilize the PS3 DTSMA, Dolby TRU-HD codecs in a few days shortly thereafter. Sweet. I also will have an upscaling DVD player (coax), Dtv HDtivo (optical), and Dtv HDDVR (hdmi) to mess around with sound quality. I will only be using it for video switching on HDMI. So much for the Monoprice switch I got just in march.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #660 of 11338 Old 08-12-2008, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I know this will differ from setup to setup, but just to get and idea, what is the db level (volume) you normally set while watching movies. I seem to get good enough volume at -30 db (unlike -25 on my previous Pio).

Thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page