post #7501 of 11340 Old 05-04-2009, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosef 615 View Post

No problem. Thanks for the insight. Currently, I'm inclined to think that all is well. Perhaps, I'm just not used to being able to hear/feel certain frequencies due to not having a similar system to reference. I don't think I'd be able to hear after listening at 0db. It's hard to say exactly what's right or wrong when you're unfamiliar w/ similar components. I may play around w/ the crossover settings, but overall I'm not hearing anything that lessens the experience and the experience is completely new to me at least at this level of quality. Back to watching the X-Men Blu-ray set. DTS-MA....Mmmmmm.

I hear ya... The loudest I have listened to my 789 is around -20db. Don't know how some posters can listen lower, but to each their own. Glad that your thinking all is well. Keep tweaking..lol..it never ends for me. btw, that's a really nice sub you have, so enjoy.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7502 of 11340 Old 05-04-2009, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

As a lurker you didn't have access to the "Search This Thread" button (upper right corner of display). However, now that you are a member you will see it there as shown below. Enter the key word "asus" and you can read about other posters with "asus" card problems. Make sure you have the most current firmware for that particular card as in at least one case that solved the problem.

Hi jdsmoothie,

I have been a member for a while now. I just hadn't posted before. I have used the thread search without success in finding a solution. I have also looked at many other AVS threads dealing with this issue. None have helped as of yet. If you know of a thread that I may have overlooked please let me know.

To elaborate, I have tried updating the drivers from the Asus website (8.60) for the card. I have also tried the latest catalyst drivers (9.4) from the ATI website. In both cases I also installed the Realtek HD audio codec (R222). Neither of these updates got audio working. In fact, any newer drivers than what I had been using (CCC 8.2) causes the HDMI audio to not work at all anymore. I can no longer get any audio even if I directly connect the card to the TV via hdmi.

From what I have read in all other threads it seems like no catalyst drivers after 8.2 will work with XP to get HDMI audio working. But if I use the 8.2 drivers, then there is another limitation with the EDID that causes me to lose audio when connected via my Denon receiver.

If anyone has fixed this issue please let me know. I am currently using XP sp2. I have stayed away from updating to sp3 because I had read about other issues. But if that will help my situation please let me know

Thanks
post #7503 of 11340 Old 05-05-2009, 05:38 AM

hello there -- I got a new sub last night so I re-ran audyssey and just wanted to make sure my nnumbers looked ok. First off, I did a "search" on this thread and it looks like all will be OK --- just double checking.

speakers are: front - paradigm esprit tower (not the dipole ones), paradigm cc-170 center, paradigm titans for surrounds, and bic f12 sub. this is a 5.1 setup.

The trim levels are all between +5 and +8 db for all speakers -- the sub trim was -0.5db (i got lucky the first time with setting the gain on the sub getting it so close to 0). After the calibration was calculated it showed my front mains as LARGE at 40 htz, center was 60htz, and surrounds at 80 htz. I changed the fronts to SMALL and moved it to 80htz. My first question is do I need to rerun audyssey because it detected my fronts as large? Also, do I need to change all settings to 60 or 80 (except for sub which was set to 120htz) or can the others stay where they are? I'm not sure if you change everyting to the same number or if you just focus on the front mains to set at 60 or 80.

Moving on -- the sub is set to 120htz -- and the setting is for LFE (I read this thread and the manual too much that I am confusing myself) -- should I leave the setting to LFE or change it to LFE+MAIN?

I think that's it - just wanted to check on those couple of items. Thanks for any feedback.
post #7504 of 11340 Old 05-05-2009, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Set them all to 80Hz or higher to offload more to the sub. Do not use LFE+Main which would send bass to the mains which would go uncorrected by Audyssey.
post #7505 of 11340 Old 05-05-2009, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm2112 View Post

hello there -- I got a new sub last night so I re-ran audyssey and just wanted to make sure my nnumbers looked ok. First off, I did a "search" on this thread and it looks like all will be OK --- just double checking.

speakers are: front - paradigm esprit tower (not the dipole ones), paradigm cc-170 center, paradigm titans for surrounds, and bic f12 sub. this is a 5.1 setup.

The trim levels are all between +5 and +8 db for all speakers -- the sub trim was -0.5db (i got lucky the first time with setting the gain on the sub getting it so close to 0). After the calibration was calculated it showed my front mains as LARGE at 40 htz, center was 60htz, and surrounds at 80 htz. I changed the fronts to SMALL and moved it to 80htz. My first question is do I need to rerun audyssey because it detected my fronts as large? Also, do I need to change all settings to 60 or 80 (except for sub which was set to 120htz) or can the others stay where they are? I'm not sure if you change everyting to the same number or if you just focus on the front mains to set at 60 or 80.

Moving on -- the sub is set to 120htz -- and the setting is for LFE (I read this thread and the manual too much that I am confusing myself) -- should I leave the setting to LFE or change it to LFE+MAIN?

I think that's it - just wanted to check on those couple of items. Thanks for any feedback.

I'd say your settings look good as far as I can tell from reading Batpig's guide and reading the Audyssey setup guide. The LFE vs LFE+Main just determines whether you want "double bass". W/ the LFE setting, the lower frequencies will go to your sub only vs LFE+Main where the lower frequencies will be sent to your sub and your main speakers. It's a preference thing. Usually you'd want your LFE to go to your sub only to reduce load on your mains, but some people w/ mains that have powered woofers or are capable of producing decent bass will opt for LFE+Main.

You don't need to rerun Audyssey, just go in and manually change your mains from large to small. As long as the distances look OK and the frequencies are in acceptable range there's no need to recalibrate.

XBox Live Gamertag: Vash615

Boomer Sooner!!!
post #7506 of 11340 Old 05-05-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Rex - the 1909/789 has Zone 2 functionality, so you can pipe the content to other rooms.

However, it's not as flexible as the multiroom options on the higher end model (2809CI and up) which have 3-Zone function plus some other perks. With only two zones, you won't be able to switch between the kitchen vs. the living room independently.

Here is how I would do it for your setup:

1. hook up two kitchen speakers to Zone 2 using the SURR.BACK speaker terminals. Set AMP ASSIGN to "Zone 2" and now the 6th/7th channels of your amp will power the kitchen speakers. (unfortunately you can't send mono to Zone 2, this is one of the above-mentioned "perks" of the 2809CI and up, so just put two small speakers in the kitchen). You will be able to control the volume of these speakers via the receiver.

2. hook up the Zone 2 pre-outs (RCA analog i.e red/white stereo cables) to a free input on your living room stereo amp. When Zone 2 is powered on, anything that you are sending to the multizone will also be piped into the living room, and you can control the power on/off and volume with the amp in the living room.

So while you won't have independent source control between kitchen vs. living room, you will definitely be able to pipe all your music out via multizone. If you want music in the living room but not the kitchen, you will just have to manually turn the volume down on the kitchen speakers (the volume control for Zone 2 doesn't affect the pre-outs, which are line level outputs, only the speaker terminals).

Check out my FAQ as Gary mentions for some more details and restrictions (esp. the analog-only part):
http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#section_06

Sow.....I went end sold my 1909. Finally I just received my 2809! YEAH!

Just hooked it all up and playing with it to get all my preferred settings back....which you all know is really easy

Anyway, back to the starting issue and the solution above. I did all this. Now my pc iTunes sends out via HDMI of which the denon says in status: PCM 3/2/.1 and "Multi Ch In". So PCM yes, 2.0 no (?). Isn't this strange as iTunes plays stereo?

Any thoughts on this while I return to the net and the big book for my own effort? Hopefully some good pointers for me when I return
post #7507 of 11340 Old 05-05-2009, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeany View Post

Thanks to Davekro and de8212 for clarification on the Harmony discrete codes. I thought I was just missing the account name needed (didn't realize people were getting it through PM, which makes perfect sense). And thanks to Gary J and tingham for offering their account names through PM. I emailed Harmony the discretes for the Audyssey commands(should have asked for the HDP also, but didn't even realize it was missing). I did this so I wouldn't have to bother anyone with a PM and so hopefully it increases the chance Logitech adds them to their database (I mentioned this was an ongoing issue, and that they were adding the commands one account at a time).

Thanks again.
onmeany

Omeany,
Please post if you received an immediate email reply from Logitech acknowledging your request. Then later if you receive an email stating that your codes had been added. I ask because my email to Logitech asking them to copy GaryJ's codes to my account got no emails from Logitech at all! ( I have not bothered to try again.
Thanks
post #7508 of 11340 Old 05-05-2009, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexManning View Post

Anyway, back to the starting issue and the solution above. I did all this. Now my pc iTunes sends out via HDMI of which the denon says in status: PCM 3/2/.1 and "Multi Ch In". So PCM yes, 2.0 no (?). Isn't this strange as iTunes plays stereo?

Any thoughts on this while I return to the net and the big book for my own effort? Hopefully some good pointers for me when I return

remember that NOTHING from HDMI will go out to multizone. The 2809 can send digital audio to multizone but ONLY if it's 2.0 PCM via SPDIF (optical or coax).

In terms of why you are getting 5.1 Mulitch PCM and not 2.0.... probably some setting on your computer, it sounds like it is sending "blank" channels. Either way though, it won't help you get the sound to multizone... you need something other than an HDMI connection.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #7509 of 11340 Old 05-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

I have a Denon avr-1909 (love it) & am upgrading Panasonic BD35 blu-ray to Oppo BDP-83 blu-ray player (ordered & due in a week or two).

Currently I use HDMI 1- DVD set @ bitstream w/ Audyssey calibration/ MultiEQ settings employed, & would prefer to continue doing so w/ Oppo for home theater purposes.

If I want to utilize multi-channel analog output connections from Oppo DAC's for Redbook CD listening w/ my 5.1 speaker system (av123 ELT 525 towers & center, 12 Rythmik servo sub & Paradigm Cinema 110 surrounds):

I would run 6 RCA cables from Oppo to Denon analog Ext IN connections (I did this originally when I had a Toshiba X-A1 HD DVD player), & say use CD as input source & select Ext In. Am I going about this the right way?

It's my understanding that I lose Audyssey capabilities w/ multi-channel analog & would have to use Oppo speaker/ bass management. Correct?

If so, it will be interesting to see which CD-audio listening option is best: Denon DAC's WITH wonderful Audyssey calibration vs. Oppo potentially better DAC's w/ Oppo speaker management.

Any comments/ recommends from someone that has done this/ or something like this would be appreciated.
post #7510 of 11340 Old 05-05-2009, 10:46 AM

Has anyone have this setup? an HTPC that connects to a avr789 via HDMI and then from the sound card to RCA (I think thats the right term) and be able to play music from the sound card to a multizone room (zone 2) while either playing a game or watching a movie on zone 1 via hdmi? anyone know if this is possible or already is doing this and if you can share what you did to get it to work. Thanks a bunch.

Quote:

remember that NOTHING from HDMI will go out to multizone. The 2809 can send digital audio to multizone but ONLY if it's 2.0 PCM via SPDIF (optical or coax).

In terms of why you are getting 5.1 Mulitch PCM and not 2.0.... probably some setting on your computer, it sounds like it is sending "blank" channels. Either way though, it won't help you get the sound to multizone... you need something other than an HDMI connection.

post #7511 of 11340 Old 05-05-2009, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elloco07 View Post

Has anyone have this setup? an HTPC that connects to a avr789 via HDMI and then from the sound card to RCA (I think thats the right term) and be able to play music from the sound card to a multizone room (zone 2) while either playing a game or watching a movie on zone 1 via hdmi? anyone know if this is possible or already is doing this and if you can share what you did to get it to work. Thanks a bunch.

as long as your HTPC can output analog audio simultaneously with digital audio then there's no reason it wouldn't work.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #7512 of 11340 Old 05-05-2009, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the response! I will google and see if this can be done via hardware or software.

Quote:

as long as your HTPC can output analog audio simultaneously with digital audio then there's no reason it wouldn't work.

post #7513 of 11340 Old 05-05-2009, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhcorolla View Post

If I want to utilize multi-channel analog output connections from Oppo DAC’s for Redbook CD listening w/ my 5.1 speaker system (av123 ELT 525 towers & center, 12” Rythmik servo sub & Paradigm Cinema 110 surrounds):

I would run 6 RCA cables from Oppo to Denon analog “Ext IN” connections (I did this originally when I had a Toshiba X-A1 HD DVD player), & say use CD as input source & select “Ext In”. Am I going about this the right way?

It’s my understanding that I lose Audyssey capabilities w/ multi-channel analog & would have to use Oppo speaker/ bass management. Correct?

your understanding is correct on all counts.

the only consideration is that you will not be able to do any processing (2CH > 5.1 with Pro Logic for example) on the EXT IN inputs. May or may not be an issue. But a 2CH CD will be at most played in 2.1 (with Oppo handling bass mgmt) in this configuration. With the EXT IN inputs, you would need a multichannel source (like SACD) to hear music from all 5.1 speakers.

personally, I wouldn't bother and am perfectly happy with 2.0 PCM over HDMI and letting the Denon do the processing, but it should be a fun experiment. definitely report back on your results.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #7514 of 11340 Old 05-05-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:

Thanks Batpig..I'll get there....eventually. My pc's motherboard has spdif out via optical or coax, so I'll go and buy that one cable that hopefully solves my problem (will let know if this works).

Three other things;
1 - someone pm'd me asking why the upgrade; search my name in this thread and you'll read the issue I have can only be solved this way. The 1909 only supports analog multi-zone. But I use my pc as multimedia station, so also for music, and I have no sound card supporting RCA, but a videocard with HDMI. The 2809 can put PCM 2.0 through (and as I just learned...not through HDMI, but merely SDPIF (BATPIG: suggestion to put this in your "bible/FAQ" ))

2- is there any way to adjust the delay on the multi-zone? If I test with analog sound (CD) and matrix the sound, I get a big delay in Zone 2. I'd rather not adjust the primairy zone's delay, since the lipsynch is correct now.

3- is there a way to up the out-volume for pre-out zone2? The volume comes in incredibly low for my living room amp.
post #7515 of 11340 Old 05-05-2009, 01:36 PM

Did a search of the thread and didn't see an answer. My apologies if this is stupid, obvious or a repost which I missed!

Would I be better off running my current Xbox 360 (older component-only model) through a 1909 and having it upconvert it to 1080p and then out via HDMI to my TV, rather than getting a newer Xbox 360 and running it HDMI all of the way? I ask because, as far as I understand, most things on the Xbox are 1080i. My thought was, why not have it upconvert to 1080p if possible? I know that HDMI will simply pass-through on the 1909, hence my question of possibly keeping my old component-only unit.

To confuse things even more, the review on CNET said this about the 3808 model: "Owners of older, pre-HDMI Xbox 360 models should note an important limitation: 1080p component video signals cannot be upconverted over the HDMI output." which has me worried about the 1909. (It is confusing to me why they speak of upconverting 1080p...maybe it's a typo and they meant 1080i).

I guess on top of it all, I have to figure out whether to ingore the receiver's upconversion with component, and run the xbox (either my component one, or a new HDMI one which would pass-through anyway) through to the TV and let the TV do any sort of upconversion instead (not decided yet, but probably Samsung LN55A950).

Thanks in advance for any insight.
post #7516 of 11340 Old 05-05-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post

Did a search of the thread and didn't see an answer. My apologies if this is stupid, obvious or a repost which I missed!

Probably my language skills lose some in translation, no harm intended!
post #7517 of 11340 Old 05-05-2009, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

2- is there any way to adjust the delay on the multi-zone? If I test with analog sound (CD) and matrix the sound, I get a big delay in Zone 2. I'd rather not adjust the primairy zone's delay, since the lipsynch is correct now.

No, there is no adjustment for multizone delay. The slight delay issue has been noted before by others also, unfortunately it's just the way it is.

Quote:

3- is there a way to up the out-volume for pre-out zone2? The volume comes in incredibly low for my living room amp.

just turn up the volume in Zone 2 using your remote. It's variable by default.

If you want to fix it to line-level (i.e. and control the volume with an external amp or volume knob) go to MANUAL SETUP > ZONE SETUP and adjust the volume settings there.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #7518 of 11340 Old 05-05-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Would I be better off running my current Xbox 360 (older component-only model) through a 1909 and having it upconvert it to 1080p and then out via HDMI to my TV, rather than getting a newer Xbox 360 and running it HDMI all of the way? I ask because, as far as I understand, most things on the Xbox are 1080i. My thought was, why not have it upconvert to 1080p if possible? I know that HDMI will simply pass-through on the 1909, hence my question of possibly keeping my old component-only unit.

It's up to you, I honestly doubt you would see that much difference either way. Maybe someone else who upgraded from a component 360 to a newer HDMI 360 can chime in.

Quote:

To confuse things even more, the review on CNET said this about the 3808 model: "Owners of older, pre-HDMI Xbox 360 models should note an important limitation: 1080p component video signals cannot be upconverted over the HDMI output." which has me worried about the 1909.

This is correct, and is noted in my FAQ. 1080p component can not be converted to HDMI output. So, for your component Xbox 360, if you want to hook into the receiver and run one HDMI cable to the TV, you will need to set your Xbox to 720p or 1080i or else it will not convert.

Quote:

(It is confusing to me why they speak of upconverting 1080p...maybe it's a typo and they meant 1080i).

"Upconverting" means converting a video signal to a "higher level" video type, i.e. composite > s-video, component > HDMI. there doesn't have to be any actual resolution change with upconversion -- in this case, CNet is strictly referring to the act of taking a component video signal and converting it to digital video for HDMI output.

For the time being, I wouldn't worry about switching out for a new Xbox. You basically have three options currently:

Option 1 - Run Xbox straight to TV with component cables, and just run a digital audio cable to the Denon AVR. You can leave Xbox set to 1080p output.

Option 2 - Run Xbox through Denon AVR with component, and run a component cable out from the Denon to the AVR. Again, you can leave Xbox set to 1080p output, but the only difference is the video will run through the receiver.

(With both Option 1 and 2 of course you will have to switch inputs on the TV to play the 360)

Option 3 - Xbox into Denon AVR with component, out to TV over HDMI. You will have to set Xbox to 720p/1080i, but you can leave the TV tuned to the HDMI input for all sources.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #7519 of 11340 Old 05-05-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:

1 - someone pm'd me asking why the upgrade; search my name in this thread and you'll read the issue I have can only be solved this way. The 1909 only supports analog multi-zone. But I use my pc as multimedia station, so also for music, and I have no sound card supporting RCA, but a videocard with HDMI. The 2809 can put PCM 2.0 through (and as I just learned...not through HDMI, but merely SDPIF (BATPIG: suggestion to put this in your "bible/FAQ" ))

Rex,
That was me. Thanks for the answer.
post #7520 of 11340 Old 05-05-2009, 06:09 PM

First post here, just got the 1909 and am super pleased. I have it hooked up to the Samsung 52" LCD 850 and Polk speakers/sub in 5.1. Anyways, I searched for this and could not find the answer on this forum. I want to program my DVR remote from Charter (model #UR5-8400 or similar) to control the volume of my Denon receiver. The codes listed in the manual are not working for me, neither is the auto search function. The codes I have tried are

084 151 155 188 056 119

Has anyone successfully programmed the Charter DVR remote? It is for the Motorola DVRs.

Thanks!
post #7521 of 11340 Old 05-05-2009, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Welcome carlsjr, there are different codes for different remote. Here is Charter Support page.
post #7522 of 11340 Old 05-05-2009, 07:23 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 1327
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsjr View Post

Has anyone successfully programmed the Charter DVR remote? It is for the Motorola DVRs.

Thanks!

To be clear ... the 3 digit codes listed in the back of the Denon Owner's Manual are to use the Denon remote to control other devices. Apparently your Charter remote uses a 4 digit code (0042) to control the Denon.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7523 of 11340 Old 05-06-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:

To confuse things even more, the review on CNET said this about the 3808 model: "Owners of older, pre-HDMI Xbox 360 models should note an important limitation: 1080p component video signals cannot be upconverted over the HDMI output." which has me worried about the 1909. (It is confusing to me why they speak of upconverting 1080p...maybe it's a typo and they meant 1080i).

I guess on top of it all, I have to figure out whether to ingore the receiver's upconversion with component, and run the xbox (either my component one, or a new HDMI one which would pass-through anyway) through to the TV and let the TV do any sort of upconversion instead (not decided yet, but probably Samsung LN55A950).

Thanks in advance for any insight.

i have recently bought the 1909 with klipsch speakers and was very content with the sound when playing games on PS3 and Xbox360 (pro). When a game is released on both platforms i always buy it on the ps3 because of the HDMI which makes black and colors look superiour to the xbox360 and its component cables. The PS3 has 720p normally for games, and does not upscale PS3 games.
But recently i bought a 360 elite after my pro went bad and saw the difference with games like gears of war 2 and fallout which looked fantastic. Went from 1080i to 1080p and the difference is huge. I don't think upscaling via receiver could do the same as the native 1080p resolution of the 360. Because in 720p i preffered the PS3. Now they look the same, and mayb the elite is winning my very own platform battle (in terms of resolution at least!!)
post #7524 of 11340 Old 05-06-2009, 02:55 AM

Almost there..situation now:

Connected PC through HDMI and digital Coax, the following works:.
Zone 1: watch digital content from pc with HDMI video/sound
Zone 2: listen to digital content from pc through coax (not only iTunes, but also sound of movies on the pc)

I can't seem to get this working:
Zone 1: watch digital content from pc with HDMI video and digital coax sound
Zone 2: listen to the same sound

In other words; I can't seem to create an input where the video is taken from hdmi and the sound from i.e. Coax 3. The zone 2 I would then just set to the same source and I would watch/listen to the same content in the whole house.
post #7525 of 11340 Old 05-06-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Welcome carlsjr, there are different codes for different remote.

Thanks! I was using the wrong codes and procedure! DUH, what an idiot! Anyways, the remote I have is the UR4U-MDVR-CHD2 for the Charter Motorola HD-DVR. It accepts 3 digit codes only. I tried it this morning and thought I had it programmed using code "340", but then it didn't do anything after that. I will continue on my quest tonight.

Thanks for those replying on this forum overall, this thread was very useful when I got my 1909, as posted many times, that manual is impossible to understand.
post #7526 of 11340 Old 05-06-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Almost there..situation now:

Zone 1: watch digital content from pc with HDMI video/sound
Zone 2: listen to digital content from pc through coax (not only iTunes, but also sound of movies on the pc)

I can't seem to get this working:
Zone 1: watch digital content from pc with HDMI video and digital coax sound
Zone 2: listen to the same sound

In other words; I can't seem to create an input where the video is taken from hdmi and the sound from i.e. Coax 3. The zone 2 I would then just set to the same source and I would watch/listen to the same content in the whole house.

The 2809CI has plenty of inputs -- maybe as a workaround, can't you just use one of the unused names and create a "dummy" input where the only thing it gets is the digital coax signal from the computer? And then select that for Zone 2?

so to be clear, it works when the computer is outputting DIFFERENT audio streams on HDMI vs Coax but it doesn't work when you want to hear the SAME thing?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #7527 of 11340 Old 05-06-2009, 09:47 AM

Yes, clear. Very odd isn't it?

Your workaround: I think I tried that already in one of my numerous attempts; if you select that particular coax on one input, the other one is deselected. I'll sleep on it, maybe I'll figure it out tomorrow.

BTW: My previous volume problem I now solved by having the two kitchen speakers on zone 2 and the amp+speakers in the living room on zone 3.
post #7528 of 11340 Old 05-06-2009, 11:14 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 1327
Quote:

Zone 2: listen to digital content from pc through coax

Interesting ... I didn't think this was possible with the 1909.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsjr View Post

I tried it this morning and thought I had it programmed using code "340", but then it didn't do anything after that. I will continue on my quest tonight.

Looks like you've got 6 possible codes (109 215 230 234 330 340) that would work, of which 340 is the last one. So chances are one of the other 5 will work for you.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7529 of 11340 Old 05-06-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

This morning I turned on my Denon and I did not get any sound out of my left channel. I tried switching the cables, using a different speaker, resetting the micro processor, everything. Any advice?
post #7530 of 11340 Old 05-06-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Interesting ... I didn't think this was possible with the 1909.

I think you missed the part where he upgraded to 2809CI for the 3-zone capability I guess he should really move the discussion to the 2809/989 owner's thread to avoid such mishaps in the future....

Setup Guide and FAQ

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page