Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

I don't think any receiver does this AFAIK.

HDMI straight to TV for video, optical/coax to the 1909 for audio. There really isn't much need to run your cable through the receiver.

ya but if u did this, wouldn't the voices on the tv be off with the sounds coming out of the receiver... i have noticed this issue w/ my cable box to my current HTIB... some sort of input lag that drives me absolutely insane... when the audio is off sync w/ the video

the thread hijacker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSDO View Post

Back ordered from J&R 8/10 and it shipped today!!!!

Setup suggestions please. I have a 6.1 setup. Would you run it as 6.1 and leave one of the 1909s channels unused or would you run it as 5.1 and biamp the fronts?

Thanks,

I'm biamping the mains in my system. I might try a 7.1 setup once I move from apartment to house. I haven't heard a 6.1 setup, but I think my mains sound great w/ the biamp setup.

- Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #753 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest68 View Post

I'll be able to do an A/B with the HK and 1909 let you all know what I find, like that will help anybody...

I'm sure many of us would like to hear about it.

to each his own...
post #754 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogun View Post

I've had my 1909 for about a week now and it's taken me about this long to wade through the manual little by little and get the thing tweaked a bit. I build my own computers, so I'm fairly tech savvy, but being a novice to audio callibration, it's been a bit of a learning curve for me.
Just got around to enabling MultEQ. I tested it out while watching a horror film and was disappointed that I had to keep adjusting the volume during the action scenes as my son was complaining from the next room.
Turns out the receiver, by default, is set to Day mode, which results in minimal volume leveling. After I set it to Midnight, the value of Dynamic Volume really became apparent.
Just thought I'd post these observations for anyone else who may just be getting their receiver delivered and may be in the same situation as me.

I just ran the calibration yesterday and set there dynamic volume to "day" for watching TV, but when I put in a HD DVD the red light came on which means no dynamic volume, it took me awhile to figure out you have to set the Dynamic volume for each input (which is very nice), overall very happy with MultEQ. The Audyssey system is awesome, what a difference in the sound of my system. I will try "night" setting today, and play around with more settings. Thanks for the info from this thread!
post #755 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solcris View Post

Does anyone know if there is a straight pass through. I would like to hear and watch the TV with the 1909 turned off (for my wife). I have Direct TV DVR.

This information may have been lost in the crash.

The 1909 can do a straight HDMI audio and video pass-through in Standby.

Go to: Menu>Manual Setup>HDMI Setup>HDMI Control. Change HDMI Control from OFF to ON.

This will power the HDMI switching when the 1909 is in Standby. This increases the power consumption from 0.3 watts to 30 watts.

The 1909 will pass-through the signal from the last input source that was being used when it was switched from ON to Standby.
post #756 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 08:01 AM

I just got a Harmony 880 for my 1909, and Logitech as of yesterday doesn't have the 1909 profile up yet(still using the 1906 for the time being). Just wanted to say thanks to Bugs for getting the ball rolling with Logitech with the 1909!
post #757 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs View Post

Hey, don't knock it. They're just trying to restore all the posts that were lost in the crash.

Besides, if this is all that's being posted, it must mean that there are no problems/questions related to the 1909.

Losing those posts was the only thing good that came from the crash
If there are no questions/problems, I'd rather read nothing than have to be continually updated on everyone's order. Maybe I'm alone in this.
post #758 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 08:10 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbass View Post

If there are no questions/problems, I'd rather read nothing than have to be continually updated on everyone's order. Maybe I'm alone in this.

If you already have yours or are still on the fence, I agree. For those who have them on backorder.....it helps a lot.

So you'd rather see the thread drop to second or third page?
post #759 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here we go again with the ordered/shipped thing.

Don't mean to be a smart ass, but I'd rather read people's posts regarding their excitement and enthusiasm in anticipation of receiving their new receiver than read complaints about such posts.
(maybe I'm alone in this)

to each his own...
post #760 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

Mind if I ask what brand of cable you swapped it with? I am possibly looking at a 40 ft run in my setup.

I bought this http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=CB-000032-S1 at Frys, before reading the article. On the box it says 1.3 compliant. On the website it says 1.2b. Not sure what the difference is. While it seems to work fine, based on the article I get the Blue Jeans online (it's about the same price). But I was able to watch Blu-ray, DirecTV, Oppo, VCR upscaled... all looked good to me.

dave
post #761 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

it looks like the receiver is finally in stock at JR

Blu-Ray Supporter
post #762 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest68 View Post

If you already have yours or are still on the fence, I agree. For those who have them on backorder.....it helps a lot.

So you'd rather see the thread drop to second or third page?

Quote:

Don't mean to be a smart ass, but I'd rather read people's posts regarding their excitement and enthusiasm in anticipation of receiving their new receiver than read complaints about such posts.

OK, I'll post no more about this. Please everyone keep us informed when you placed your order and about every email you receive from J&R updating you on when your 1909 is due. Please post tracking numbers so that we can all track it as a group and then we'll all hug when they arrive
post #763 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post

LF is for the CINEMA

Sarcasm or serious? This is confusing me... I didn't see anything on Faroudja's page about the FLI2310 being a Cinema chip, not that I know much about Faroudja though...

post #764 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amel View Post

it looks like the receiver is finally in stock at JR

Yup. It sure is.

http://www.jr.com/denon/pe/DNN_AVR1909/?JRSource=socnet

post #765 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

Sarcasm or serious? This is confusing me... I didn't see anything on Faroudja's page about the FLI2310 being a Cinema chip, not that I know much about Faroudja though...

It appears that this is the same chip that is found in the
OPPO Digital DV-981HD DVD Player, check out this articlehttp://hometheater.about.com/od/dvdp...odv981full.htm

Samsung 60 F7500

Denon 3808CI

Sony BDP-S790 3D/Bluray

Harmony 900

post #766 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
How do you guys get the dynamic vol to stay on. I can get the green light to turn on, but if I switch to another input and go back to TV, that setting is lost. It goes back to red. I want the light to stay green on TV. I also tried setting it in surround parameters but can't figure out how to make it stick without losing the setting everytime I change input.

Thx
post #767 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post

How do you guys get the dynamic vol to stay on. I can get the green light to turn on, but if I switch to another input and go back to TV, that setting is lost. It goes back to red. I want the light to stay green on TV. I also tried setting it in surround parameters but can't figure out how to make it stick without losing the setting everytime I change input.
Thx

You need to setup MultEQ for each input. In addition, for dynamic Vol to be ON, MultEQ must be set to ON for that input as well.

to each his own...
post #768 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

OK, I'll post no more about this. Please everyone keep us informed when you placed your order and about every email you receive from J&R updating you on when your 1909 is due. Please post tracking numbers so that we can all track it as a group and then we'll all hug when they arrive

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! Aaaahhh! A little comedy is always refreshing... even on a thread about MultiEQ and Dynamic Volume
post #769 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bruiser View Post

ya but if u did this, wouldn't the voices on the tv be off with the sounds coming out of the receiver... i have noticed this issue w/ my cable box to my current HTIB... some sort of input lag that drives me absolutely insane... when the audio is off sync w/ the video

It's possible, but not certain. I experience no lag on my setup either way.

These receivers allow you to set a specific audio delay by input in the setup to deal with any potential audio lag.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #770 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 11:29 AM

I currently have a ps3 connected to a Mitsu HD1000 projector over a 50' HDMI cable and it works great. I have recently ordered a 1909 and I am worried after reading some threads here that it will not be able to pass the signal down my 50' foot monoprice HDMI cable. Is anyone having this problem and should I worry about it? I dont see why it would be an issue if I can pass my PS3 signal just fine alrerady.
post #771 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 11:35 AM

question for those of u who have this receiver... what speakers do u have connected to it... i am trying to find 2 good floorstanding speakers that would go like bread and butter w/ this receiver...

any suggestions or ideas of stuff to go out and hear?

the thread hijacker
post #772 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You need to setup MultEQ for each input. In addition, for dynamic Vol to be ON, MultEQ must be set to ON for that input as well.

It was setup for each of the inputs. What I missed to do is setup the quicksettings for each. So when I pressed the quick setting 1 button, I'd lose the settings I had done. Once I figured out how to commit quick setting 1 to memory, it stuck. Had to read the manual though. Ah well.

What's everyone's fav' setting, so far?

Here is mine:
Audyssey Eq
Auddyssey Vol @ Day
Cinema Eq ON (no idea what this does just sounds kewl)

Just cause I recently setup 7.1 and want to play with it:
For 5.1 -> 7.1 Dolby PLIIx Cinema (TV)
For Wii DTS Neo 6
For pure blu-rays I'm not sure I'd want matrixing though and even TV one could argue without it. Even for the wii.
post #773 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

question for those of u who have this receiver... what speakers do u have connected to it... i am trying to find 2 good floorstanding speakers that would go like bread and butter w/ this receiver...

any suggestions or ideas of stuff to go out and hear?

I have Def Techs and they sound great to me, though perhaps a tad pricy. I have the STS Super towers and a Mythos 10 for center channel. For my surrounds using my old infinity as well as a 150w powered infinity sub. Probably be better to get all def techs but I sorta blew my budget on the front sound stage.
post #774 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post

I have Def Techs and they sound great to me, though perhaps a tad pricy. I have the STS Super towers and a Mythos 10 for center channel. For my surrounds using my old infinity as well as a 150w powered infinity sub. Probably be better to get all def techs but I sorta blew my budget on the front sound stage.

haha thx... i have actually heard good things about def tech before from someone i know but jeez all these brands everyone tells me are impossible to find anywhere... BB and CC need to carry more brands audio wise...

can't really complain on their tv selection thats one good thing they have

anyways thx for the response

oh and is infinity speakers made where? engineered where?

the thread hijacker
post #775 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOBUG View Post

I currently have a ps3 connected to a Mitsu HD1000 projector over a 50' HDMI cable and it works great. I have recently ordered a 1909 and I am worried after reading some threads here that it will not be able to pass the signal down my 50' foot monoprice HDMI cable. Is anyone having this problem and should I worry about it? I dont see why it would be an issue if I can pass my PS3 signal just fine alrerady.

The thing with HDMI is that there's no way to predict what will happen at long runs. The Denon HDMI 1.3 receivers are all supposed to be "repeaters", meaning they amplify and re-send the signal, so it THEORETICALLY should be fine, but that doesn't mean you won't experience issues.... you'll just have to bite the bullet and see what happens...

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #776 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

haha thx... i have actually heard good things about def tech before from someone i know but jeez all these brands everyone tells me are impossible to find anywhere... BB and CC need to carry more brands audio wise...

can't really complain on their tv selection thats one good thing they have

anyways thx for the response

oh and is infinity speakers made where? engineered where?

BB Magnolia stores carry DefTech
post #777 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 12:08 PM

Question to 789 owners: One bad thing I noticed when comparing the 1908 with the 1909 (EU model) was that the front panel is made of plastic on the 1909, while on the 1908 it was made of metal.

Is this also true for the 789 variant?
post #778 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Trust me, you're not alone!
post #779 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

I would agree with this statement only if we were talking about 8 year olds counting down days 'till Christmas on their advent calendars...
post #780 of 11355 Old 08-14-2008, 12:31 PM

Hi everyone, just one quick question regarding the Denon 1909.
Is there any Audio delay when u play music game like rockband or guitar hero using denon 1909 as ur reciever. Since this is the main reason why i canceled my order for Onkyo 805 and switch to denon 1909, coz so far i dont see any one complaining. Just to make sure before i call J&R to pre-order it. Thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page