Forum Jump: 

post #7831 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Ah, you are looking to "decouple" the sub from the floor. Carpeting, especially thick carpeting with padding, certainly helps. Also look into damping material and techniques, ex.: a Subdude.

Yes. Subdude would be something I might consider. But, its kind of pricey (50 bucks) for a wooden platform with 4 legs. Will try and see if I can make one on my own with some old furniture.

Also, does anyone know if there is a way to turn off the just the sub when playing music/movies. I sometimes listen to music late into the night while working, and the sub might be a problem there. I don't want to physically switch the sub on/off every time I listen at night. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7832 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalic View Post

Also, does anyone know if there is a way to turn off the just the sub when playing music/movies. I sometimes listen to music late into the night while working, and the sub might be a problem there. I don't want to physically switch the sub on/off every time I listen at night. Any ideas?

There are two ways I can think of. One is that you can customize 2CH in Manual Setup -> Audio Setup. And turn off the sub there. Otherwise you could make a Quick Select and lower the subwoofer's volume to -12dB and your fronts to +12dB.

I need a way to isolate my subwoofer from the floor as well. Goes right through the floor.
post #7833 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 04:03 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaucous View Post

Otherwise you could make a Quick Select and lower the subwoofer's volume to -12dB and your fronts to +12dB.

This isn't necessary, as you can turn the sub OFF with the remote simply by reducing the channel level of the sub. The last setting after -12db is OFF.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7834 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

This isn't necessary, as you can turn the sub OFF with the remote simply by reducing the channel level of the sub. The last setting after -12db is OFF.

Aaah, right. Well, then that is the best way.
post #7835 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 04:34 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

And there are just too many dang posts in this forum ;-).

There is no reason to have to manually read through each post to find an answer to many questions. Because this thread has been around so long, using the "Search this Thread" feature (upper right corner of display) with a few key words germaine to your question will usually provide you with an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

I have a 5.1 setup and wondering what happens when I feed my 1909 with 7.1 sources (bitstream DDTHD and DTS-HD MA and MCPCM). Does the AVR add that information to the surround channels or discard it.

The AVR will simply downmix what it receives to the speakers you have connected. So in your case, the additional 2 channels in 7.1 sources is downmixed to the existing surround channels.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #7836 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalic View Post

Yes. Subdude would be something I might consider. But, its kind of pricey (50 bucks) for a wooden platform with 4 legs. Will try and see if I can make one on my own with some old furniture.

I know what you mean, it is ripe for a DIY project. I think that using vibration absorbant material to isolate the legs from the floor is the key. Maybe thick soft-rubber discs under each leg, or a platform layered with a rubber pad (cut up the wife's old yoga matt??) Fortunately I don't have to worry about it; my hard-wood floor suspended over a crawl space seems to willingly lend a hand to big LFE rumbles and no one is below to object.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #7837 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 07:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 1282
Quote:

I have a 5.1 setup and wondering what happens when I feed my 1909 with 7.1 sources (bitstream DDTHD and DTS-HD MA and MCPCM). Does the AVR add that information to the surround channels or discard it.

you may want to read this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1148111

and this thread (which is sort of a predecessor to the one above):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1125362

It has to do mostly with the PS3, but it should still be enlightening.

The thing is that there aren't really any "true" 7.1 discrete surround mixes, as all movies are mastered in 5.1 and then a 7.1 discrete mix is simply matrixed in the mixing room (albeit using more sophisticated techniques than PLIIx). So any movie that is encoded in "7.1" is really just a "pre matrixed" 5.1 soundtrack. As such, DTHD and DTS-MA will have a 5.1 mix already encoded in the soundtrack and set by the mixer.

From my understanding, with an HDMI connection the player should "ping" the AVR for EDID information and the AVR should tell it that there are only 5.1 speakers connected. In which case, the BDP should automatically select the appropriate track (i.e. the 5.1 mix). AFAIK, any movie that claims "7.1" will have the 7.1, 5.1, and of course 2.0 mixes already encoded in the disc. If your BDP has a setting that allows you to manually tell it you are only using a 5.1 setup, even better, as you will be sure the player is selecting the correct 5.1 mix.

Either way, the 6th/7th channels are just derived from the normal surrounds, so even if the "should happen" above doesn't work out perfectly, the receiver just downmixes those rears into the surrounds and it should still sound great.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #7838 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 09:21 AM

New 1909 owner here. I waited for the 1610 because it would be perfect for my limited needs, but I found a 1909 for a good price, so I said why not, and bought the 1909.

Earlier I bought a very cheap 5.1 speaker set (System Fidelity SF2105). I hoped Audyssey will make it at least listenable.
After unpacking and connecting the avr and a 3.1 installation from the speaker set I made a six point calibration. I made a mistake (while in the first position measurements I moved the tripod between the center and FL speaker chirps) but I let it go through the six points and let it calculate and store.
The subwoofer distance is also closer than the real distance, but for now I don't care.
Suffice to say, not the best results and I will repeat the process with more care.

However, even with these errors, Audyssey does its 'magic'. Without Audyssey the sound is very weak, only mids, no highs or lows. With audyssey (normal or flat) the sound becomes enjoyable, so I really appreciate what Audyssey does.
post #7839 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoli View Post

New 1909 owner here.
The subwoofer distance is also closer than the real distance, but for now I don't care.

Welcome z. Glad your SQ results are so promising already. Sub distances less than actual are odd and may indicate vibrations transmitted to the mic thru whatever it is sitting on. Some have found that placing the mic tripod on (or touching) a leather couch or chair caused the problem. Anyway, we'll see what happens when you rerun.

post #7840 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 03:19 PM

I'm hoping to get a little advice. I'm very interested in picking up a 1909 but I'm not quite sure what the price trends for Denon products are. I could get the 1909 through 6ave for under 500, but with the 1910 announced, should I hold off for another month and hope that dealers start clearing out the 1909? If/when 1909s are cleared to make room for this year's models, would you guys predict that I could get a better deal than what 6ave is offering now?

Gamertag: wasey
post #7841 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by keebler87 View Post

I'm hoping to get a little advice. I'm very interested in picking up a 1909 but I'm not quite sure what the price trends for Denon products are. I could get the 1909 through 6ave for under 500, but with the 1910 announced, should I hold off for another month and hope that dealers start clearing out the 1909? If/when 1909s are cleared to make room for this year's models, would you guys predict that I could get a better deal than what 6ave is offering now?

It's a tough call. How bad do you want a new one vs. refurbished. You can always try to call the companies and see if they will go lower. But if they don't, you might miss the boat as they run out of stock. If you still want lower than new prices - you can check the refurb market at dakmart.com and eCOST.com (both listed as authorized Denon reconditioned sellers as I hear Denon can be a real stickler about warranty issues).

I find it interesting that people are just now starting to get the 1909 just under $500 again. That just proves how good of a deal we got when this 1909 was first launched a year ago. I'm still pleased as punch.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #7842 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

If you still want lower than new prices - you can check the refurb market at dakmart.com and eCOST.com (both listed as authorized Denon reconditioned sellers which BTW 6Ave isn't even listed as an authorized seller and I hear Denon can be a real stickler about warranty issues).

So, does anybody have any experience buying a refurb from Dakmart or eCOST? I'm reluctant to do so, but that price is tempting.
post #7843 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog46 View Post

So, does anybody have any experience buying a refurb from Dakmart or eCOST? I'm reluctant to do so, but that price is tempting.

I can tell you next week. My bud, just ordered the 1908 from eCOST on Thurs. Shipped Friday....due to arrive 5/27. For the record, I've purchased alot of refurb equipment and I felt good about doing it and will do again. It's alot like buying a used car, if you get it from the right source. And if Denon backs them, then Denon will support you if there are issues. I would suspect that you will have no issues.

Take a look at this 3.5 stars...same as Amazon.

post #7844 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 04:22 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidetracked View Post

In searching through the thread it seems like most people that have had problems with DVI/HDMI have been with cable boxes or computers.

I have an older HDTV (Sony 40XBR800) with only a DVI input for digital. I've had no problems with any DVD or Blu-Ray player using a HDMI to DVI cable. I'm thinking of upgrading my very old receiver to the 1909, and one of the advantages would be running my 3 different players into the HDMI inputs, and then going from the 1909 with a HDMI to DVI cable. This would allow me to get loss-less sound from all three. But it does me no good if it won't transmit video due to handshake issues.

Can anyone comment, positively or negatively on their luck with that kind of connection? Is any use of HDMI/DVI out from any receiver just a shot in the dark?

Thanks!

I run HDMI out from my 789 to my DVI in to my Toshiba 51H83 and have had no handshake issues with either my A35 or my LG 3510a tuner which is also a DVI to HDMI cable...However the LG also has an upscaling SDVD player that refuses to play using the DVI to HDMI back to HDMI to DVI connection...Now the same LG connected directly to the TV via DVI to HDMI yields no issue upscaling SDVD...So there is some mismatch in the 789 as best as I can tell...But no problem seeing as I use my A35 for all disc viewing anyway...As I said...the tuner (HD ATSC or QAM) works flawlessly...just the DVD issue...I have had very good luck with HDMI to DVI...
post #7845 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 133
dogdoctor quote "BTW 6Ave isn't even listed as an authorized seller and I hear Denon can be a real stickler about warranty issues)."

That is incorrect, 6th ave is a Denon authorized seller.
post #7846 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

dogdoctor quote "BTW 6Ave isn't even listed as an authorized seller and I hear Denon can be a real stickler about warranty issues)."

That is incorrect, 6th ave is a Denon authorized seller.

You right. I'm completely an idiot...I missed the logo. Duh...will edit the original post. thanks for catching that. I've heard nothing but good about 6ave and was surprised that I didn't see it on there.

post #7847 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

moondog46 go back to page 235 post #7050 on Dakmart.
post #7848 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 06:30 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Take a look at this 3.5 stars...same as Amazon.

Guess it depends on where you look ... on reselleratings.com eCost comes in at only 1.4/10 whereas Dakmart is around 8.4/10. Also, eCost only offers a 90 day warranty while Dakmart offers a 1 year warranty.

"JD" –

post #7849 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:

Thanks for that. Dakmart does come in a little lower than I like to see on resellerratings.

I'm unclear as to whether their 1 year warranty is convered by them or Denon. Some of the reviews I read on resellerratings were not encouraging.
post #7850 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Guess it depends on where you look ... on reselleratings.com eCost comes in at only 1.4/10 whereas Dakmart is around 8.4/10. Also, eCost only offers a 90 day warranty while Dakmart offers a 1 year warranty.

Yeah I guess it does. I was just about to reply to JChin too...Dakmart has a current 6 month rating of 8.21/10 (but lifetime is 5.1/10). So it is all in how you look at it. I'll let you guys know how the eCOST purchase goes. So far it's been perfect...we'll see what the actual device has to say when it arrives.

also...JChin, I'm not sure if you know, but there is a quote feature at AVS and you can link URL to old posts. It would make reading your replies a little easier.

post #7851 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog46 View Post

Thanks for that. Dakmart does come in a little lower than I like to see on resellerratings.

I'm unclear as to whether their 1 year warranty is convered by them or Denon. Some of the reviews I read on resellerratings were not encouraging.

Yeah...it's really odd. I had a fantastic experience buying from Harman Audio (Ebay store of refurbished items) and their units come with a full 2/3 year warranty with Harmony. Just odd that Denon doesn't have something similar. But Denon should stand behind the device as they are authorized resellers as it says so right on their site.

post #7852 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 07:13 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

It's much easier for readers if you link your new post to your old post like this ....

....go back to page 235 post #7050 on Dakmart.

To do this ... go to the particular post you want to link to and press the LINK button in the upper right corner of the post, just to the right of the post #. It will display the http address in the address bar at the top of the page. Copy that bar and then insert it into your new post using the Insert Link icon.

"JD" –

post #7853 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 07:16 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Yeah I guess it does. I was just about to reply to JChin too...Dakmart has a current 6 month rating of 8.21/10 (but lifetime is 5.1/10). So it is all in how you look at it. I'll let you guys know how the eCOST purchase goes. So far it's been perfect...we'll see what the actual device has to say when it arrives.

Generally the only problem with Dakmart has been a delay in shipment. Once you get the product, you're good to go.

"JD" –

post #7854 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

It's much easier for readers if you link your new post to your old post like this ....

....go back to page 235 post #7050 on Dakmart.

To do this ... go to the particular post you want to link to and press the LINK button in the upper right corner of the post, just to the right of the post #. It will display the http address in the address bar at the top of the page. Copy that bar and then insert it into your new post using the Insert Link icon.

And the fact that the "page 235" part only works for those who have their thread display options set to the forum default setting (30). It will be a while before I see page 235 in this thread.
post #7855 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Generally the only problem with Dakmart has been a delay in shipment. Once you get the product, you're good to go.

I'm crossing my fingers on the eCOST purchase. Out of all the negative the one of the few positives was for a Denon AVR.

post #7856 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm crossing my fingers on the eCOST purchase. Out of all the negative the one of the few positives was for a Denon AVR.

damn, I was reading some of the reviews at this site and, on estimate, there is one good review per every ten bad reviews. I've got my fingers crossed that the Denon arrives in working condition otherwise dealing with eCost's customer service seems like hell from reading the many reviews.

post #7857 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry guys I will try and make it easier next time, thanks.
And good luck on your order.
post #7858 of 11355 Old 05-23-2009, 11:01 PM

The 1909 price at eCost is around $100 less than at Dakmart, but I haven't ever seem them have it in stock, otherwise I would have ordered from eCost, even with CA tax. So, I sit and wait for a 789/1909 to go on a good sale like Fry's had last Sunday. Or I might have to break down and order a refurb 789 from Dakmart for more than the Fry's sales price on now!

So, if anyone sees a good deal for the holiday, please speak up
post #7859 of 11355 Old 05-24-2009, 03:40 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdeane View Post

And the fact that the "page 235" part only works for those who have their thread display options set to the forum default setting (30). It will be a while before I see page 235 in this thread.

Good point! I hadn't dug down far enough into the options to even realize you could change the number of posts per page. I've made comment several times to look back a few pages for several posts on a particular topic, when, in your case, it was probably on the same page!

"JD" –

post #7860 of 11355 Old 05-24-2009, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good point! I hadn't dug down far enough into the options to even realize you could change the number of posts per page. I've made comment several times to look back a few pages for several posts on a particular topic, when, in your case, it was probably on the same page!

To reference an AVS post I use Right Click on the Link button in that post, click "Copy Shortcut", then just "paste" into my new post.
So in consultation with jd, we slightly modify his previously given how-to-guide on how to do the slickest link:

Here's an easy way to create a link for those that are interested:

1. Copy a web address, or if you want to link to a previous post, right click on the LINK button next to the post # that you want to link to and press "Copy Shortcut" from the pop-up menu.
2. In your post, highlight the word(s) you want to have folks click on to go to the web address link.
3. Press the Insert Link icon (ball with chain link).
4. Erase the "http://" in the pop up window and paste the web address you copied in step #1.
5. Ta da! You've just created a link.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page