Forum Jump: 

post #8251 of 11338 Old 06-11-2009, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzbc View Post

If Audyssey was wrong in identifying reversed polarity, it wouldn't then say that it was correct when you reversed the wires. It would still say that the polarity is reversed either way that it is hooked up.

Am I correct?

One way to check speaker polarity is to use a AA 1.5 volt battery, remove the speaker grill, and tap the wire to the battery and see if the woofer moves in or out , check all speakers the SAME way marked + to + and - to - ,
This should give you a good idea , But in a 2 or 3 way speaker systems the mid and or tweeter could be wired wrong from the woofer , done at the factory . So than this is problem.. lowes are stronger if all are in phase, highs are in the center of two speakers when in phase. I hope this helps in some way.

Just want to say what if all the speaker are out of phase thats ok too. Just as long as all the speakers are in phase with each other.. + may not be the same with all brands some times mixing brands of speaker could easly cause out of phase flags , but is easly identified / found with the battery test
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8252 of 11338 Old 06-11-2009, 02:35 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomuchtv View Post

One way to check speaker polarity is to use a AA 1.5 volt battery, remove the speaker grill, and tap the wire to the battery and see if the woofer moves in or out , check all speakers the SAME way marked + to + and - to - ,
This should give you a good idea , But in a 2 or 3 way speaker systems the mid and or tweeter could be wired wrong from the woofer , done at the factory . So than this is problem.. lowes are stronger if all are in phase, highs are in the center of two speakers when in phase. I hope this helps in some way.

Just want to say what if all the speaker are out of phase thats ok too. Just as long as all the speakers are in phase with each other.. + may not be the same with all brands some times mixing brands of speaker could easly cause out of phase flags , but is easly identified / found with the battery test

The only reason I made that assumption is because I was getting a phase error on one of my speakers in the Audyssey setup. I switched the wires at the speaker and I no longer got the error. I think in my case, the polarity was reversed.
post #8253 of 11338 Old 06-11-2009, 03:07 PM

Hi yall,

After all the researching and cross reading of different products, I have pulled the trigger on the AVR-789.

Thanks also to BigPig for his awesome documentation which provided me most of the data to arrive at a decision to go with the AVR-789.

Ok, some interesting observations, I did run across the "out-of-phase" Audessey auto config situation as well. It seems it happens when a speaker is closely situated next to a corner wall where reverberation is strongest...

The other odd thing I noticed was when I paused my bluray player, and restart the movie, there is no volume! (??? Is this a known bug? ) The fix is I simply hit pause again and play again and it is fine. (Sorta have to do it twice in a row to get my audio back)

My hw config is: Samsung BD-P2500 (Anynet+ setting set as off) connected via HDMI to the AVR at HDMI2 port, also the optical cable is attached and I didn't think this would cause anything.

Thanks for any feedback!
post #8254 of 11338 Old 06-11-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 920
sound like the BDP and AVR are missing the "handshake" and when you pause/play again it gives it a "kick in the rear" and gets things going. god bless HDMI.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8255 of 11338 Old 06-11-2009, 07:23 PM

Batpig,

I read your FAQ and looked through your Harmony codes. I didn't find one. I'm hoping there is a remote control function to cycle through the inputs. I have a limited number of buttons and don't want to have to assign a disrecte button to each input (TV/CBL, DVD, VCR, etc).

If it exists on the original remote I can learn it. If its a code that isn't programmed might be more challenging.

Any help?
post #8256 of 11338 Old 06-11-2009, 10:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have never seen such a code for Denon receivers..... however I believe it has been introduced for the '10 models. If you look at the AVR 1910 remote, the button below the D-pad (where "Restorer" is on the 1909 remote) says "Source Select" and appears to cycle between inputs. I will do my best to add that to the database somehow...

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8257 of 11338 Old 06-11-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

sound like the BDP and AVR are missing the "handshake" and when you pause/play again it gives it a "kick in the rear" and gets things going. god bless HDMI.

Looks like perhaps I could be the only one having this issue. Will test more scenarios this weekend.

By the way, is there a way to enter an engineering menu or info page that provides information like the Firmware version of the unit?

Thanks!
post #8258 of 11338 Old 06-12-2009, 04:08 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Quote:

..... however I believe it has been introduced for the '10 models. If you look at the AVR 1910 remote, the button below the D-pad (where "Restorer" is on the 1909 remote) says "Source Select" and appears to cycle between inputs. I will do my best to add that to the database somehow...

Correct and interesting. It appears that Denon really has made some new feature changes to the old 1909 remote. You might also want to see if you can add the "Sleep Timer" function into the Harmony as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by work4mike View Post

By the way, is there a way to enter an engineering menu or info page that provides information like the Firmware version of the unit?

As the 2309 and higher models have required a firmware fix, this procedure has been tested on those models and works. It should also work for the 1909 to provide the firmware information:

Turn the unit completely off (not in standby), then while pressing the STATUS and RETURN buttons (on the front panel), press the ON button. Each time the STATUS button is then pressed, you will cycle through the following: Serial Number, Main Ver #, Sub Ver #, DSP1 Ver#, and DSP2 Ver #. To exit this mode, turn the unit OFF and back on again.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8259 of 11338 Old 06-12-2009, 10:42 AM

Hi everyone!! I've been reading and following this thread for a while. I presently own a Yamaha 463. I decided on the 463 last year due to the fact I only need a 5.1 system and the price at the time. I have the system hooked up to some very solid M&K K series speakers and use an HDMI hook up to a PS3. My question is: Since I'm using the PS3 and do not need a receiver to decode the lossless codecs of a blu-ray, would it be worth it to upgrade to the 1909 which I can pick up for a very affordable price now? I understand sound is a very subjective thing and the Audessey setup is top notch. The 463 does not give much in terms of crossover setup besides the sub and YPAO seems to be not as feature reach as Audessey. I guess I'm just trying to justify the purchase....especially to the wifey.
post #8260 of 11338 Old 06-12-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

In my opinion, the upgrade will not be because of HD audio codecs (you are already getting HD audio anyway). The real benefits would be:

1. the Audyssey MultEQ + DynamicEQ + Dynamic Volume "suite" is a big winner

2. you would have full-featured video conversion, as opposed to the 463 which has zero video conversion

3. you will have MUCH more power. the RX-V463 bench tested at around 32W/ch with all five channels driven: http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/...ec/index2.html

the 1909 will put out around 90W/ch with five channels driven. the amp section in the entry-level Yammy's is quite weak.

If the "sticker shock" of the upgrade offends the wife, and since you don't need the 7.1 or multizone features of the 1909, another option you may want to consider is the new AVR 590/1610 model which should be easily available for around $300 "street price". You get all the benefits of MultEQ + video conversion, it's a very full featured package for an entry-level 5.1 receiver. It should still put out literally twice as much wattage as the 463; it's rated at 75W/ch x 5 and should actually come close to that in real world situations.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8261 of 11338 Old 06-12-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:

I have never seen such a code for Denon receivers..... however I believe it has been introduced for the '10 models. If you look at the AVR 1910 remote, the button below the D-pad (where "Restorer" is on the 1909 remote) says "Source Select" and appears to cycle between inputs. I will do my best to add that to the database somehow...

Thanks for looking into it. I knew I would regret saving money by not getting the '10 series.

Features I am regretting:
1. More Remote functions
2. 1080p for xbox over component (didn't know about the hdmi audo probs)

Features I don't care about
1. PIIz
2. Better upconversion
3. Extra hdmi

Am I missing anything?
post #8262 of 11338 Old 06-12-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayinla View Post

Hi everyone!! I've been reading and following this thread for a while. I presently own a Yamaha 463. I decided on the 463 last year due to the fact I only need a 5.1 system and the price at the time. I have the system hooked up to some very solid M&K K series speakers and use an HDMI hook up to a PS3. My question is: Since I'm using the PS3 and do not need a receiver to decode the lossless codecs of a blu-ray, would it be worth it to upgrade to the 1909 which I can pick up for a very affordable price now? I understand sound is a very subjective thing and the Audessey setup is top notch. The 463 does not give much in terms of crossover setup besides the sub and YPAO seems to be not as feature reach as Audessey. I guess I'm just trying to justify the purchase....especially to the wifey.

My wife has given up on trying to cure my gadget complex, but I still like to show her why I buy these things. When I got my 1909 and dialed it in, I played my onkyo for her, swapped in the 1909 and she was slightly impressed. And then I turned on Audessey and she was amazed. Just buy it and justify it after the fact. And your buyers remorse will be gone when you configure Audessey. Guaranteed. (Oh, buy a Harmony 880 at the same time. She loves that too.)

post #8263 of 11338 Old 06-12-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtokach View Post

My wife has given up on trying to cure my gadget complex, but I still like to show her why I buy these things. When I got my 1909 and dialed it in, I played my onkyo for her, swapped in the 1909 and she was slightly impressed. And then I turned on Audessey and she was amazed. Just buy it and justify it after the fact. And your buyers remorse will be gone when you configure Audessey. Guaranteed. (Oh, buy a Harmony 880 at the same time. She loves that too.)

I already own the Harmony One....that one my wife loves!!!!!

Batpig, thanks for the advice on the 1610. Found a local store selling it for retail with a no sales tax special. Gonna pull the trigger.
post #8264 of 11338 Old 06-12-2009, 03:56 PM

bitpig. What is your opinon on the audyessy suite. Specifically the new ones?
post #8265 of 11338 Old 06-12-2009, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"bitpig" gives a thumbs up

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8266 of 11338 Old 06-12-2009, 04:16 PM

ive heard that one of them creates too much bass and makes it boomy? is this true? Do you use all three?
post #8267 of 11338 Old 06-12-2009, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asb-123 View Post

ive heard that one of them creates too much bass and makes it boomy? is this true? Do you use all three?

bitpig. Hmmmm. I like it!

Most folks love what Audyssey (watch the spellin', there, buddy) does. More info is available on the website, worth reading. The basic room correction MultEQ is rarely bassy. DynEQ, properly calibrated, may sound "bassy" at first as we are not used to such fidelity at lower volumes. Some people have actual excessive DynEQ bass, usually for one of several correctable reasons. This did happen to both batpig and myself, and we figured out how to get it right. Don't worry about it. If it occurs we'll help you fix it. I agree with bp and give a BIG THUMBS UP to 09 Audyssey DynEQ/Vol!

Yes I use DynVol too but not all the time. It's best for commercial TV.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #8268 of 11338 Old 06-12-2009, 04:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I actually use Dyn.Vol for everything but music. I'm pretty much always at the "Evening" setting, even with HD-DVD / Blu-Ray movies, as I find I can watch an entire movie without ever touching the volume at all and my wife doesn't make a peep to complain Of course I live in a townhouse, without a dedicated HT space, or else I would probably want to feel manly and not chop off any dynamic range.... but honestly I never feel like I'm "missing out" on the dynamics of movies anymore, and I never have to scramble for the remote when the explosions start. Pretty cool.

I have my Harmony programmed so that the 1/2/3 buttons on the number pad correspond to Day/Eve/Mdnt in most of my "activities", so it's easy to flick the switch if necessary. If the wife isn't around and I'm not worried about rumbling the neighbors I'll switch over to "Day" setting. If the wife is asleep I'll switch to "Midnight".

I've compared Dynamic Volume "Day" vs. just using Dynamic EQ (no Dyn.Vol) and the difference is so slight that I basically just leave Dyn.Vol on all the time and use the "Day" setting when I want to let 'er rip.

@ ASB-123 -- I suggest you spend some time reading my FAQ and Setup Guide, as well as some common resources like the Audyssey FAQ and the Setup Guide. Also, just spend some time browsing this thread. Read the first 30-50 pages, read the last 30-50 pages (no need to read all 300! ) you will learn a whole lot.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8269 of 11338 Old 06-12-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:

I have my Harmony programmed so that the 1/2/3 buttons on the number pad correspond to Day/Eve/Mdnt in most of my "activities", so it's easy to flick the switch if necessary.

That would be nice. I need to see if I can get my harmony one to do that.
post #8270 of 11338 Old 06-12-2009, 07:21 PM

My samsung bluray has an onboard video processing (Silicon Optix REON) and the Denon has Faroudja DCDi video processing.

Right now, I think both the Denon and bluray is processing video, like "double" processing the picture.

Should I turn off the Denon'd video processing or the bluray?

Pls advise... Thanks in advance.
post #8271 of 11338 Old 06-12-2009, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:

My samsung bluray has an onboard video processing (Silicon Optix REON) and the Denon has Faroudja DCDi video processing. Should I turn off the Denon'd video processing or the bluray?

Neverfear. The Denon passes the HDMI thru untouched.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #8272 of 11338 Old 06-12-2009, 07:58 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Quote:

Should I turn off the Denon'd video processing or the bluray?

Comparing the Samsung's Reon chip to the Denon's Faroudja chip is like comparing a Porsche to a Ford. Most definitely let the video pass through the Denon.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8273 of 11338 Old 06-13-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:

I have my Harmony programmed so that the 1/2/3 buttons on the number pad correspond to Day/Eve/Mdnt in most of my "activities", so it's easy to flick the switch if necessary. If the wife isn't around and I'm not worried about rumbling the neighbors I'll switch over to "Day" setting. If the wife is asleep I'll switch to "Midnight".

The best thing about harmony, is you can program it for how you use it. Me, I put day /eve / midnt, on the screen cause i use number pads to find programs to record. I also use mostly EVE. and since backing off the bass in "SURROUND" menu rarely have issues with "grumbly" bass even with Lifetime channel which is absolutely the worst in our household.
post #8274 of 11338 Old 06-13-2009, 09:39 AM

Food for thought. When I first got into surround sound back in late 80's, there really wasn't a lot of "return on investment". You had to upgrade the VCR to get any effect. DVD' of course were better when they came out. Now almost every thing coming in to house has Dolby 5-1 so we get surrounded most of time. Kind of makes it worth while IMO.
When I saw post about DSX I thought well this makes sense. Then OMG I'm obsolete again. Luckily I came to my senses and realized it would be a few years' one any way, before DSX trickles down to mid level AVR'S that i can justify the expense for. So in all reality I'm very happy with 1909 and feel "future proof " for at least a year. And I have a extra set of surrounds that are perfect for heights.
post #8275 of 11338 Old 06-13-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcanoron View Post

The best thing about harmony, is you can program it for how you use it. Me, I put day /eve / midnt, on the screen cause i use number pads to find programs to record.

yes, absolutely, the Harmony is just awesome. I actually do the same as you do with TV.... for Watch TV of course the number pad is for changing channels. It's all my other activities, where the number pad is unused, and I use it for quick access to various setting.

What I do (in anything but Watch TV) is have the number pad like this:

1/2/3 = Day/Eve/Mdnt
4/5/6 = Cinema/Standard/Music (the "5" button is concave instead of convex and easy to find with my thumb when I need the "Standard" button)
7/8/9 = DirectStereo/PureDirect/DSP
+/0/E = Dynamic EQ Toggle / Restorer / Equalizer

So I have full one-touch access to any surround mode, Audyssey EQ curve, and Dynamic EQ/Vol mode I need. Since the layout is identical in all my activities (save Watch TV) I have it all memorized and can tweak sound modes without looking. The Harmony One ergonomics really help in this regard, it's MILES ahead of the other Harmony remotes in this sense, the buttons are always in the right place when you need them.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8276 of 11338 Old 06-13-2009, 10:42 AM

There is one thing that I just can't seem to figure out. Can someone please tell me how to switch between Day/Eve/Mdnt modes. I have looked everywhere. It is probably right in front of my face.

Thank you!
post #8277 of 11338 Old 06-13-2009, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

if you don't have a universal remote that you can program with the discrete IR codes, the only way to change it is to go into the OSD and adjust in the PARAMETERS menu.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8278 of 11338 Old 06-13-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Neverfear. The Denon passes the HDMI thru untouched.

Thanks. That is good to know and I just read the 1st post in this thread which says the video processing affects analog video inputs.

Thanks also to jdsmoothie for your reply!

Cheers!
post #8279 of 11338 Old 06-13-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:

if you don't have a universal remote that you can program with the discrete IR codes, the only way to change it is to go into the OSD and adjust in the PARAMETERS menu.

Ah yes, Thank you!
post #8280 of 11338 Old 06-13-2009, 12:04 PM

[quote=batpig; the buttons are always in the right place when you need them.[/QUOTE]

And if they aren't, You can change them. for my DVR I swapped the fast forward and skip forward keys so it's quicker to feel the keys to skip commercials. You can feel the gap above and blast thru easier, for me anyway.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page