*Official* Denon AVR 1909/789 Thread - Page 298 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8911 of 11338 Old 08-29-2009, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HDMI Auto Lip Sync turned ON? = audio delay set up in the AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8912 of 11338 Old 08-29-2009, 10:04 AM

re: HDMI Auto Lip Sync, I tried turning that off, but the problem of delay in Zone 1 persists.
Thanks for suggestions thus far... I hope we can figure this one out!
post #8913 of 11338 Old 08-29-2009, 11:43 AM

I had my unit for over 6 months, with zero problems, you people with problems, are these units "refurbished" or "open box", were did you buy them ??????
post #8914 of 11338 Old 08-29-2009, 12:11 PM

The only Lip Sync problem I've seen was on a poorly mic'ed movie/tv show or a badly overdub movie , and a bad copy of sky captain.
post #8915 of 11338 Old 08-29-2009, 12:14 PM

I, too, am skeptical of any refurbished electronics products that are this complex. My unit was purchased brand new/factory sealed.

I feel like my issue here with a delay in Zone 1 is a system issue. I just really hope it can be corrected.
post #8916 of 11338 Old 08-29-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Step 1: Check the speaker wire connections very carefully for loose wires and stray strands. Had you changed anything recently? Speakers, speaker wires? Moved some components or the speakers?

oh yes, i tried a factory reset and recheck my cables, clean the port, now it works nicely thanks for the suggestion bro..
post #8917 of 11338 Old 08-29-2009, 12:55 PM

I got my 789 "new" from a "authorize dealer" at a good price. I in the past have been lured into some refurbished goods cause the price is good, I have been lucky so far, but I must say that the refurbished units can be a riskey investment.
post #8918 of 11338 Old 08-29-2009, 02:09 PM

I think every one who posts with a hardware problem with their unit should say if its new, used /demo or refurbished.
post #8919 of 11338 Old 08-29-2009, 08:08 PM

My question:

How do I play one audio source (CD) over the TV (Hdmi) signal. So I want to watch a tv channel with a cd playing for audio instead. possible? how?

SG
post #8920 of 11338 Old 08-29-2009, 09:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 894
read the FAQ my friend, 4th or 5th question in:
http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html

short answer: NO, not possible with HDMI sources. It is part of the copyright limitations of HDMI.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8921 of 11338 Old 08-30-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by de8212 View Post

That's the same part they replaced on my unit.

Dang it! I had actually wondered about that.

You know what that means right? You took the last one!!

hehehe

I sincerely apologize for getting so furiously irate back there! After cooling off for a few days, I realize now that it wasn't your fault.

I'm just posting this now because they must've got that "HDMI power board" back in stock much sooner than expected. They said they'd notify me when it shipped, and they sent a FedEx tracking# Friday. It shipped Thursday, and should be here Tuesday. But it says it needs a signature, so may miss it that day... Well can't wait to see if that part actually fixed the problem and if bitstream and PCM will sound the same, at last, with MultEQ enabled!

And for googlegod: It was one of the first New units from J&R's preorder last August.
post #8922 of 11338 Old 08-30-2009, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR View Post

it shipped, and they sent a FedEx tracking# Friday. It shipped Thursday, and should be here Tuesday. But it says it needs a signature, so may miss it that day...

Contact FedEx. Arrangements can usually be made, like leaving a signed note requesting it be left there (which they use as a signed receipt), or for it to be left with a neighbor.

For BR Hidef Codecs, in most cases PCM vs bitstream from my Oppo, it's usually quite similar sounding. Exc SQ in either case.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #8923 of 11338 Old 08-30-2009, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

read the FAQ my friend, 4th or 5th question in:
http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html

short answer: NO, not possible with HDMI sources. It is part of the copyright limitations of HDMI.

Mr. Batpig-I would like personally to thank you for all of your contributions here on the AVS Forum. I have truly been helped through the Audyssey threads and now here.

I am considering purchasing a Denon, reasonable since this is the second theater set-up. Mainly for the PC. I would like to preface my question with this first....I am positive this has been brought up and answered and I thought you might direct me to the thread or threads where it is explained.

1. Explanation with HDMI switching, pass thru and audio/video repeater. The difference with the first two.

2. Explanation of an HDMI 1.3 bluray player for DDHD, and DTS HD (or some form of) with either HDMI switching or pass thru in the receiver.

And...I hope that I am making myself clear. I did not want to put a lot of money in another expensive receiver for this set-up.

I have a 7.1 receiver that is HDMI 1.3 repeater (for my regular theater), DDHD/DTSHD so no problem here.

Any threads explaining these questions?

Again thank you for any direction.
post #8924 of 11338 Old 08-30-2009, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

your best resource for basic questions is the excellent "AVR FAQ" compiled by MichaelJHuman at the top of this forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=968859

Quote:
1. Explanation with HDMI switching, pass thru and audio/video repeater. The difference with the first two.

thankfully we've reached the point where all Denons have HDMI audio and you don't have to worry about the distinction. Just look at my model numbers chart (scroll to the bottom of the link) and pick a model number that is colored blue: http://batpigworld.com/models.html

Quote:
2. Explanation of an HDMI 1.3 bluray player for DDHD, and DTS HD (or some form of) with either HDMI switching or pass thru in the receiver.

the AVR FAQ is your best bet. Are you looking for just a broad, conceptual description of it? Or do you have a specific question? As with the above, thankfully most everything now is HDMI 1.3 so you don't have to worry about HDMI versions too much.

Quote:
I have a 7.1 receiver that is HDMI 1.3 repeater (for my regular theater), DDHD/DTSHD so no problem here.

anything from the 19XX/7XX level and up will be great. Figure out what features you need and how big your budget is.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8925 of 11338 Old 08-30-2009, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=

the AVR FAQ is your best bet. Are you looking for just a broad, conceptual description of it? Or do you have a specific question? As with the above, thankfully most everything now is HDMI 1.3 so you don't have to worry about HDMI versions too much.

Thanks for the info Batpig.

I guess what I am trying to say could the Bluray player be the main component here for passing DDHD and DTSHD, so does it matter if the newer receivers are equipped with this since that are pretty much 1.3.

What I read was that you didn't need a receiver with these formats to decode the latest HD Video/sound when the bluray player does it already (thus raised the question about pass thru). This person also stated that the results maybe somewhat different but most listeners likely would not notice. It really doesn't make sense to me cause if this is true then why would we need a AVR that had decoding formats.

I still don't think I am making myself clear. I apologize of my ignorance. I do hope that I am not too confusing.

Just one more thing......

A quote from a HD receiver's description.... You also get decoding for the latest surround sound formats, including Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio two high-resolution formats found on many newer Blu-ray players and discs.
post #8926 of 11338 Old 08-30-2009, 11:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Gotcha. What you heard is correct -- either the player or the receiver can be the one doing the decoding, and it doesn't matter which one does it as it will sound the same. Player decoding vs receiver decoding is covered in the AVR FAQ that I gave you the link to.

The bottom line is, at this point, almost every receiver will have it so you that discussion is becoming moot. A couple of years ago, you could save money by buying a model that takes HDMI audio but doesn't have HD decoders, but those days are essentially over as decoding is now cheap and common. Every single current Denon model (everything marked in blue on the chart I linked you to) does it so basically, don't worry about it.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8927 of 11338 Old 08-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Gotcha. What you heard is correct -- either the player or the receiver can be the one doing the decoding, and it doesn't matter which one does it as it will sound the same. Player decoding vs receiver decoding is covered in the AVR FAQ that I gave you the link to.

The bottom line is, at this point, almost every receiver will have it so you that discussion is becoming moot. A couple of years ago, you could save money by buying a model that takes HDMI audio but doesn't have HD decoders, but those days are essentially over as decoding is now cheap and common. Every single current Denon model (everything marked in blue on the chart I linked you to) does it so basically, don't worry about it.

Good...then I am not totally loosing my mind! I did read the AVR FAQ and it was just a bit confusing and I did not get a direct answer, but it did seemed to be in the line with what you said, I think. But what do I know!

I am a little confused why I would need to buy one of the receivers marked blue on your chart, when I already have a DVD player that decodes DD & DTS HD!!

This is what I read....(If you have any hair, please don't start pulling it out yet)!

Quote... For the better sound you'll need either a player that decodes (and sends that audio out via PCM over HDMI or analog 6-channel out) or a receiver/processor that decodes the format, and a player that will output the bitstream of these codecs). End quote

With this quote, I am definitely confused. I know it is me, but this quote sounds contradictory.

I need a receiver in my price range and that is why I am so inquisitive. Like the 1609, 1709, 689 5.1 or 7.1 with Audyssey/DynamicEQ and volume. I am not too fimiliar with Denons. I have had Onkyo's and H/K receivers, but this time I wanted to try a Denon. And...Thanks again!

By the way what does 'moot' mean?
post #8928 of 11338 Old 08-31-2009, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I am a little confused why I would need to buy one of the receivers marked blue on your chart, when I already have a DVD player that decodes DD & DTS HD!!

you don't need to.... the point I am making is you don't even have a choice anymore, because they pretty much all have it now!!

Quote:

I need a receiver in my price range and that is why I am so inquisitive. Like the 1609, 1709, 689

and this is why I told you to "go blue" -- these receivers do not take audio over HDMI so you will not hear the lossless audio! The 1610/590 model is a much better value.

please, TRUST ME pick one of the models on the chart colored in blue and you are guaranteed to be "safe" in terms of HD audio.

Quote:

Quote... For the better sound you'll need either a player that decodes (and sends that audio out via PCM over HDMI or analog 6-channel out) or a receiver/processor that decodes the format, and a player that will output the bitstream of these codecs). End quote

With this quote, I am definitely confused. I know it is me, but this quote sounds contradictory.

can you explain what you think is contradictory? because I don't see it.

to get the HD audio, you either need:

1. a player that decodes the HD audio, or
2. a receiver that decodes the HD audio (and a player that can give the raw audio to the AVR for decoding)

basically, SOMETHING needs to decode it. that's all the quote is saying.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8929 of 11338 Old 08-31-2009, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry, just my lack of knowledge and education on this subject that is the most confusing and confounding.

I will be looking at the 'Blue'.

Thanks again for all your efforts!
post #8930 of 11338 Old 08-31-2009, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

For those Zone 2'ers out there who have been a little disappointed that the PS3 cannot output simultaneous digital and analog audio, a bit of good news awaits you with the latest update. See the "Update:" part.
post #8931 of 11338 Old 08-31-2009, 11:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

fantastic

finally we can cross that one off the "need to explain to people how to do some kludgy workaround" list...

EDIT: just finished the update and there it is, under "Sound Settings" there is an option for "Audio Mult-Output" that will output 2-ch audio from the other audio outputs. good times!

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8932 of 11338 Old 09-01-2009, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by phdeane View Post

For those Zone 2'ers out there who have been a little disappointed that the PS3 cannot output simultaneous digital and analog audio, a bit of good news awaits you with the latest update. See the "Update:" part.

Thanks for the info. We'll it's about time, it only took them almost 3 years .

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #8933 of 11338 Old 09-01-2009, 07:48 AM

I just bought a Polk Audio PSW111 Sub and hooked up to my Denon 1909. I have tried all the options in the setup and the ony sound it produces is BOOM,BOOM. I will be appreciated if anyone can advise what to do, or tell me what is wrong, the sub or the AVR?
post #8934 of 11338 Old 09-01-2009, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvornvong View Post

I just bought a Polk Audio PSW111 Sub and hooked up to my Denon 1909. I have tried all the options in the setup and the ony sound it produces is BOOM,BOOM. I will be appreciated if anyone can advise what to do, or tell me what is wrong, the sub or the AVR?

Did you connect it from the Denon (RCA) sub preout and then run Auto setup?

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #8935 of 11338 Old 09-01-2009, 08:12 AM

Yes I did all that. Thanks for your prompt help.
post #8936 of 11338 Old 09-01-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvornvong View Post

I just bought a Polk Audio PSW111 Sub and hooked up to my Denon 1909. I have tried all the options in the setup and the ony sound it produces is BOOM,BOOM.

What does "BOOM,BOOM" mean? It's just making random noises like it's malfunctioning, or you have "boomy" bass with program material, or just too much bass overall...?

Quote:

I will be appreciated if anyone can advise what to do, or tell me what is wrong, the sub or the AVR?

Rest assured, the people here will do as much as possible to make you feel [more] appreciated. Thanks!
post #8937 of 11338 Old 09-01-2009, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

when you go to MANUAL SETUP > SPEAKER SETUP and then go to "CHANNEL LEVEL" and run the manual test tones, what does the sub tone sound like? Is it a steady rumble?

EDIT: nice catch dr. p... I approve of your pedantry

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8938 of 11338 Old 09-01-2009, 11:42 AM

Liked: 32
Did a search got nuttin...Can the bass/treble be adjusted for zone 2??? If so I haven't found out how yet...

Also as Halloween approaches I can see the added value of zone 2 to power speakers for the front of the house for spooky sounds...Then Christmas for more merriment and joy added to the light display...
post #8939 of 11338 Old 09-01-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

nope, tone controls for Zone 2 are restricted to the 2809 and up.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8940 of 11338 Old 09-01-2009, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdeane View Post

Quote:

fantastic

finally we can cross that one off the "need to explain to people how to do some kludgy workaround" list...

EDIT: just finished the update and there it is, under "Sound Settings" there is an option for "Audio Mult-Output" that will output 2-ch audio from the other audio outputs. good times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

Thanks for the info. We'll it's about time, it only took them almost 3 years .

Not sure why I didn't think of it before, but in addition to solving my lesser need for outputing analog PS3 sound to my zone 2 connected BGM amp, I will now be able to use my wireless headphones with the PS3 - without having to constantly change settings. cool!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page