96kHz / 24bit AD converters
192kHz / 24- Bit D/A Converters
Video up conversion to component
On Screen Display
Front AV connection
MCACC Auto Setup
WMA9 Pro
LCD Learning remote

Based on the specs for the Pioneer, I would say the Denon is an upgrade after everything has been said. You will have to compromise on a few things, but as a whole, what is gained outweighs what you lose in my opinion. 90watts vs. 150watts, no onscreen display, no RDS. Those you can live without as the Denon output is quite good, it isn't like you used 150 watts and unlikely you'd use the 90 watts. Onscreen display for volume is no big deal. There is onscreen display for things like AM/FM control & volume. And RDS is cool, but I think it is not that important. I have it in the car and it does nothing to further my enjoyment of the music.

No, the only big loss is the 8 channel preout as the 789 has none. But it does have 8 channel inputs vs. the Pioneers 6 channel inputs. Personally, if I were to purchase seperate amps, I'd want a seperate pre/pro to go with it. Now what you gain is an additional HDMI input (3 vs. 2), 1.3 vs. 1.2 HDMI version, second zone audio capability, video upconversion via HDMI, and most importantly, Audyssey and Dynamic volume control. Not to mention every audio codec available including Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master.

Yes, the AVR-789 is quite the feature packed unit. Excellent build quality. The remote sucks but if you are like me and have a universal Harmony remote, the remote goes in a drawer anyway.

HOWEVER, I must warn that depending where you get the Denon, the FW may be the old version and need to be updated. This can only be done at a Denon authorized service center which may or may not require you to send the unit in or best case, you have one local and can drop it off. Do get the update before you disconnect the Pioneer so you have something for the week or so the Denon is being updated. Myself, I already sold my Onkyo so I am waiting for after the super bowl to send mine back in to have the update done. I am glad the Denon came with a 2 year warranty (new units only) so no charge for the update. But I have to pay to ship the 789 in and Denon pays to ship back.

I honestly feel the Denon is a worthwhile purchase and don't regret my decision to buy Denon over Onkyo this time around. It is a sexy looking piece of electronics and I have no doubt it will last me for many many years to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9542 of 11349 Old 01-30-2010, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmm sounds tempting...the sound via hdmi and the Audyssey eq almost make it a slam dunk upgrade. Is Audyssey even really that good? I'm a bit skeptical about it. Also I use the Harmony One so the remote is not an issue for me. Thanks for your input.
post #9543 of 11349 Old 01-30-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by scutzi128 View Post

...Is Audyssey even really that good?..

Oh yeah, it's mmm, mmm good.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #9544 of 11349 Old 01-30-2010, 03:24 PM

Liked: 32
As SOM already said, yes, Audyssey really is that good. I doubt I would ever buy another AVR without it.
post #9545 of 11349 Old 01-30-2010, 05:03 PM

I have a Sony laptop with HDMI output that I would like to connect to my 1909. Is there anything special I need to know to do this. If there are resources available with directions for this, I would be grateful if someone would point me to them. If this is a non-starter, would be good to know now.

thanks!
post #9546 of 11349 Old 02-01-2010, 09:52 AM

I have an avr 789, ps3 and optoma hd65 projector.

conection goes as follows:
<>projector to monitor input of the receiver through hdmi
2<>ps3 to HDP input of the receiver through hdmi
with the above connection i dont get any picture but i get the sound.

the same connection worked before
P.S i tired resetting te micro processor but still its not working

thanks
post #9547 of 11349 Old 02-01-2010, 10:48 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
You post is a bit confusing .... perhaps you might want to simply Reset the Microprocessor (p. 60) and start over again.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9548 of 11349 Old 02-01-2010, 06:36 PM

First off let me start by saying I've really enjoyed owning my 1909. I recently got a new TV with (finally) hmdi. I have bose acoustimass 2 speakers, a samsung 40" LCD, PS3, x-box 360, motorola dvr and a wii. The problem I'm having is with the cable box. I started out with hdmi going from my cable box to my tv, and then an optical cable from there to the 1909. The sound worked fine except for some HD channels when I would lose sound for a second every so often. Really annoying. So I ended up here, scouring through previous posts. I changed my setup.

Now I have everything HDMI to the Denon (except for the WII) and one HDMI from there to the TV. I thought this had solved whatever was going wrong, but now instead of losing all sound the volume just drops dramatically and then picks back up. This is with the audyssey on. It has also started occasionally making a crackling/ popping noise.

Is it my cable box? Do I need to try something else?

Thanks

I reset the microprocessor and autoset up the denon to no effect. Any solutions out there? It seems to only happen when the dolby digital appears on the display...
post #9549 of 11349 Old 02-04-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depthjunkie View Post

First off let me start by saying I've really enjoyed owning my 1909. I recently got a new TV with (finally) hmdi. I have bose acoustimass 2 speakers, a samsung 40" LCD, PS3, x-box 360, motorola dvr and a wii. The problem I'm having is with the cable box. I started out with hdmi going from my cable box to my tv, and then an optical cable from there to the 1909. The sound worked fine except for some HD channels when I would lose sound for a second every so often. Really annoying. So I ended up here, scouring through previous posts. I changed my setup.

Now I have everything HDMI to the Denon (except for the WII) and one HDMI from there to the TV. I thought this had solved whatever was going wrong, but now instead of losing all sound the volume just drops dramatically and then picks back up. This is with the audyssey on. It has also started occasionally making a crackling/ popping noise.

Is it my cable box? Do I need to try something else?

Thanks

I reset the microprocessor and autoset up the denon to no effect. Any solutions out there? It seems to only happen when the dolby digital appears on the display...

I have noticed a similar problem when watching HDTV using a OTA tuner in a PC. I had attributed the problem to the tuner, but now I'm beginning to wonder if it's the receiver. The sound will cut out and back in about every 2-3 minutes. It's very short, but annoying nonetheless. I have yet to figure out the problem. Thankfully I don't watch much stuff over-the-air, and primarily use it for movies, video games, and streaming.

EDIT:
By the way, during the audio glitching, the Dolby Digital Logo flicking off and back on as well. It's almost as if the audio stream is completed lost for a split second. Perhaps I will try updating my graphics card driver, then try swapping HDMI cables. If both of those fail, I will try to go back to using optical cable in conjunction with the HDMI cable, and set the PC to output audio using optical.
post #9550 of 11349 Old 02-04-2010, 09:00 AM

OK - I have a big problem!!!

I have had a Denon 1909 for about a year and it's worked fine. However, yesterday it started shutting down about five seconds after it turns on. The reason this a major problem for me (apart from the hassle of not beng able to watch TV right now) is that I have a fancy new HD TV, a bunch of folks coming over on Sunday to watch the SuperBowl - and no working A/V receiver :-(

In a nutshell, the experience I have is that I turn on the 1909, I see the green light come on for 5 seconds or so and then the receiver shuts down and the red light comes on.

I have read some comments here about some folks having similar problems but the huge amount of posts in this thread has made it very difficult to locate any solution.

Am I out of luck to get this back up for the SuperBowl or are there some specific suggestions folks might have as to what this might be (and how to resolve it)?

Thanks.

Mark
post #9551 of 11349 Old 02-04-2010, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 1070
Your receiver is going into protect mode, most likely it is a short in one of your speaker wires. Disconnect ALL the speakers from the back of the unit, and then try turning the AVR on -- does it still shut itself off?? If so, disconnect everything else (all cables) and try again. Then, see if you can isolate the component or speaker channel that is causing the shut-down.

worst-case, you could have a bad amp or a fuse blew or something, but it's more likely to be some wiring issue.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #9552 of 11349 Old 02-04-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

worst-case, you could have a bad amp or a fuse blew or something, but it's more likely to be some wiring issue.

Thanks for the prompt response. I may try to get home early today so I can troubleshoot and make a call about what the issue is. Time is of the essence :-)

Assuming the worst case, would this be a job that requires me to send it back to Denon or is there a chance I can find a local vendor that would handle this type of fix? And, again, assuming - say - a bad amp, what sort of cost would I be looking at (I'm just thinking ballpark, of course).

My timing sucks...

Thanks again.

Mark
post #9553 of 11349 Old 02-04-2010, 09:47 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
Let the 1909 shut down again and you should see that the "red" light around the power button is flashing ... every 2 secs (too hot) and every 0.5 sec (wiring issue or amp failure). As batpig suggests, more often then not it's simply a stray wire (the cat was nosing around behind the AVR) that, once identified and corrected, will solve the problem.

If it turns out to not be a wiring issue, you'll want to check here to see where the closest Denon Authorized repair center is in your state as there are generally a few at least. As your 1909 should still be under warranty you would only be responsible for getting the 1909 to the repair facility as the repair costs would be covered by the warranty. If you don't have a valid warranty, then no clue on what the repair costs might be, sorry.

A couple guys with earlier models then yours (ie out of warranty) simply popped the top and were able to identify blown fuses which they were able to replace from Radio Shack which solved their particular problems.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9554 of 11349 Old 02-04-2010, 12:53 PM

OK, so desperation is setting in :-) I took out EVERYTHING from the back of the Denon except the power cable. Same issue. I then opened it up and found six small fuses (does that sound right?) and all seem to be OK. So, unless I am missing something here, I am in a deep hole. I can try to find a dealer nearby but I am not hopeful that they would happen to have the right part in stock.

(EDIT: I just called the only local dealer and they indicated that they would take 7-10 days just to look at the unit. So that blows the chances of getting this even looked at for Sunday).

Absolute bummer!

Thanks.

Mark
post #9555 of 11349 Old 02-04-2010, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 1070
Find a local stereo guy, he can put a meter on the amps and find the blown fuse. It may be a simple repair. I had a local guy repair an AVR that blew a channel and it cost about 100 bucks.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #9556 of 11349 Old 02-04-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwill View Post

OK, so desperation is setting in :-) I took out EVERYTHING from the back of the Denon except the power cable. Same issue. I then opened it up and found six small fuses (does that sound right?) and all seem to be OK. So, unless I am missing something here, I am in a deep hole. I can try to find a dealer nearby but I am not hopeful that they would happen to have the right part in stock.

(EDIT: I just called the only local dealer and they indicated that they would take 7-10 days just to look at the unit. So that blows the chances of getting this even looked at for Sunday).

Absolute bummer!

Thanks.

Mark

Here's an option for you... buy another AVR from Best Buy, Costco, or another local retailer that will allow returns (without restocking fees). Install the new one, fix the Denon after the Superbowl or send it in for repairs now.

Not exactly the nicest thing to do, but you will have a working AVR for the Superbowl, and you can still use it while the Denon is being repaired, which could take a while if its got to be sent in to Denon.

Problem solved.

quik
post #9557 of 11349 Old 02-04-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Find a local stereo guy, he can put a meter on the amps and find the blown fuse. It may be a simple repair. I had a local guy repair an AVR that blew a channel and it cost about 100 bucks.

I ended up calling Denon. They walked me through the factory reset and confirmed that it needed to be sent in (or taken to a local repair company). That said, I am disappointed that they didn't even mention the possibility of a blown fuse, even when I specifically asked them if this could be anything other than a blown amp. Oh well.

Anyway, this is under warranty so I my costs are going to be nil, which is some consolation.

Thanks.

Mark
post #9558 of 11349 Old 02-04-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quik View Post

Here's an option for you... buy another AVR from Best Buy, Costco, or another local retailer that will allow returns (without restocking fees). Install the new one, fix the Denon after the Superbowl or send it in for repairs now.

Not exactly the nicest thing to do, but you will have a working AVR for the Superbowl, and you can still use it while the Denon is being repaired, which could take a while if its got to be sent in to Denon.

Problem solved.

This is purely a response to your suggestion (not an attempt to start a debate over this :-)), but that's the wrong side of the ethical line for me.

So, I am going to run the sound through my TV speakers over HDMI. Pretty crappy, in relative terms, but at least the picture will be good (I have a Samsung 8500 and looking forward to a fine view) :-)

Thanks.

Mark
post #9559 of 11349 Old 02-04-2010, 04:27 PM

Mark, if you can find another use for an A/V receiver, you might think of getting an older one cheap on craigslist. When the 1909 returns from being repaired, you can move the craigslist unit to the garage or basement or something. But whatever you do, use something other than the TV speakers.
post #9560 of 11349 Old 02-06-2010, 08:22 AM

I am hoping for a simple answer to this question: my 1909 DOES not have the latest firmware update (purchased in August of 2008) but does not seem to have any of the overblown bass from Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS tracks that have been recounted in other threads. I thought it was a little bass-heavy before, but after removing a port baffle from my SVS sub and re-running Audyssey, I found the bass much tighter and listenable. (Example: before recalibrating, I found the music on HGTV shows in Dolby Digital 5.1 to be incredibly "thumpy", but after recalibration, they sound much, much more listenable. Also, I have tried many of the recommended test scenes (opening of "The Fellowship of the Ring", etc.) after recalibration and find the bass sound ing excellent - not "thumpy", nor does my sub sound like it is laboring.

Do all earlier 1909s have the overblown bass firmware bug, or can I assume (happily) that my unit does not have the bug?

Thanks for all of your input...
post #9561 of 11349 Old 02-06-2010, 09:55 AM

If you have the older FW version, you have the 'problem'. Now remember, it is only a problem if you don't like the sound. I thought much like you then found that yes, I have the 'problem' as well and will send my 789 in sometime this week or next for the new FW update.
post #9562 of 11349 Old 02-06-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodon005 View Post

Do all earlier 1909s have the overblown bass firmware bug, or can I assume (happily) that my unit does not have the bug?

Yes you have, but your SVS sub is so good that it'll be hard to tell if you have overblown bass even at very high levels. It's actually very easy to check, just get a sound pressure meter and a test disc, with audissey running you'll notice the sub going off the scale and the back surrounds are up by several db. With Audissey off all speakers are level.
post #9563 of 11349 Old 02-06-2010, 04:44 PM

I am new to the 789 and love the unit so far, very solid. It sounds great.

I have read through this thread over the last few weeks in my eventual decision to purchase this unit. I also have seen the troubleshooting section of the Owners Manual where the red light flashing every .5 seconds could be attributed to amp circuit failure (where amp will not come on and defaults to protect mode), when the core wires are perhaps touching, or the impedance is not correct with given speakers.

Today I was testing out the sound with the movie 300. I recently did the auto set-up so am still getting the hang of volume levels for reference or viewing with the unit. Suddenly my unit shut off while watching 300 at a loud volume level, resulting in the red light flashing every .5 seconds. I let it sit for a bit, then pushed the power button and the light went solid red. (back to standby?), Then I pushed it again and the unit came on, no problem. It worked great thereafter.

Seems like the unit shut down from being too hot, but the light would have flashed every 2 seconds then..I have a fan back there and the ventialation is adequate.

Any assistance and information would be kindly appreciated.
post #9564 of 11349 Old 02-06-2010, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofiler View Post

... Suddenly my unit shut off while watching 300 at a loud volume level, resulting in the red light flashing every .5 seconds. I let it sit for a bit, then pushed the power button and the light went solid red. (back to standby?), Then I pushed it again and the unit came on, no problem. It worked great thereafter...

Hi audio. Post the speaker info including impedence.

post #9565 of 11349 Old 02-06-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Hi audio. Post the speaker info including impedence.

JBL Northridge Series.. 8 Ohms all around.

N26 Rear, ND310 Front, eC35 Center
post #9566 of 11349 Old 02-06-2010, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

JBL Northridge Series.. 8 Ohms all around.
N26 Rear, ND310 Front, eC35 Center

OK, so it's not impedence related. I suggest you carefully inspect all speaker wires at their connections. Just a few tiny strands vibrating and touching where they shouldn't can cause this. The terminals on the back of the amp are especially suspect.

post #9567 of 11349 Old 02-06-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:

OK, so it's not impedence related. I suggest you carefully inspect all speaker wires at their connections. Just a few tiny strands vibrating and touching where they shouldn't can cause this. The terminals on the back of the amp are especially suspect.

I will check out the connections.

I am hoping I did not damage the unit, though. If the unit is still working, it is good to go, correct?

Thanks for your prompt responses, nonetheless. Also, if anyone else has any insight on the matter, feel free to chime in too.
post #9568 of 11349 Old 02-06-2010, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... If the unit is still working, it is good to go, correct?...

yep, it is a protection circuit and acts quickly to prevent damage.

post #9569 of 11349 Old 02-06-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:

yep, it is a protection circuit and acts quickly to prevent damage.

Hmm..I cannot back to the unit currently. I will hire my wife to check it out with her small hands and height!!

Was it possible that the louder volume caused vibrations to make the connecting wires to trip the protect? It has not done it since, however, am just wondering if all wires check out ok - why it did that?
post #9570 of 11349 Old 02-06-2010, 06:58 PM

The wires aren't touching. If they were, even one strand, a short would be created and you would always have the problem. Believe it. Your 789 is fine, I had the exact same thing happen once when I overdrove mine. Turn off, turn back on and has not done it since. Don't sweat it.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page