3Likes

Old 08-21-2008, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekk View Post

is there a way to tell if my harmony is using the proper database code for the 1909? from my initial look, the settings seems pretty basic. havent had time to really look into it and customize it though.

The basic commands that are currently in the Logitech database for the 1909 do work. With them, I can control the activities I set up, such as 'Listen to Radio', 'Watch TV', 'Watch TV w/Surround' and 'Watch a DVD' (using a PS3).

If I need to change the menu settings, change Dymanic EQ/Vol or use the 'Quick Set' buttons, I have to go back to the 1909 remote.

Now, if we could just get Logitech to add the more 'advanced' commands, we could retire the 1909 remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs View Post

I have not been able to get my Harmony One to "Learn IR" commands from the 1909 remote. One of the Logitech support techs said that the 1909 commands were unusually long and that might make it difficult for the Harmony to learn them. If anyone is able to get a Harmony remote to learn commands from the 1909 remote, please post how you did it. Thanks.

I thought it was the Quick Select buttons you could not learn? I just follow instructions, have the remote 3-4" away from the Harmony and not too close to the computer.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruizgarcia View Post

There are advance IR codes which can be programmed to select either the Day, Evening or Midnight settings. I have programmed them to my MX-500. For me it is easier then toggeling for the one I want. I am assuming that Logitech has added these codes to the Harmony. If they haven't I would call their support line.

I have an MX 500 as well. Do you mind sharing the advanced codes? I would love to have quick access to Day, Evening and Midnight - is it a toggle or does each one have an independent code?
Old 08-21-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricScott View Post

I have an MX 500 as well. Do you mind sharing the advanced codes? I would love to have quick access to Day, Evening and Midnight - is it a toggle or does each one have an independent code?

One button for each code; in my case just two since I only use Day and Evening.

I will see if I can make a .m5 of just the Day, Evening and Midnight. I had to use a couple of different programs to convert these ir codes for the MX.

PM your email and I will send you the .m5 with just the three settings so that you can copy them via the MX Editor.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:51 PM

Is there any way to dim or turn off the blue "HD Audio" light and the green/red Dynamic EQ/Volume light on the front of the Denon 1909?

The "dimmer" button only dims the OLED display...

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2008, 01:59 PM

Gary J. must have a lot of pull at Logitech. A scant 2 hours after he sent his email, I got a call from Logitech. Coincidence? I think not.

I sent a number of email messages to Logitech about the 1909 codes. Several of these have gone unanswered until now. The tech had read the complete incident file and called to make sure he understood all the issues. He saw that I once had the 140+ codes in my 1909 profile, but was at a loss to explain why they had disappeared. He said he will contact the engineer who originally did the conversion of the Denon .pdf and get him to reactivate the missing codes.

I also gave him a list of 9 important codes that were missing from the original set:

DYNAMIC EQ ON_VOL ON
DYNAMIC EQ ON_VOL OFF
DYNAMIC EQ OFF_VOL OFF
DYNAMIC VOL SET: MIDNIGHT
DYNAMIC VOL SET:EVENING
DYNAMIC VOL SET: DAY
QUICK SELECT 1
QUICK SELECT 2
QUICK SELECT 3

While I was on the phone, he looked at the original Denon .pdf and verified that the additional codes were there. His email to the engineer will also ask him to add those.

He said this should be completed in 2-3 days.

Cross my fingers.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I said something like... or I'm going to come by and make one room out of the whole place.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:08 PM

Yesterday my Denon 1909 and Onkyo speaker kit was delivered and I hooked up all speakers in 5.1.Also setup the input modes as explained in one of the post. I did not get a chance to run "Auto" or manual for speaker setup. When I turned on the receiver, I am getting video and sound only from center speaker.
I am going to run the Auto setup tonight. Before that I want to make sure this is normal. This is the first time I am setting up a HT system.
Thanks you all for your help.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:34 PM

It looks like J&R has bumped the price up to $649 on the 1909 along with most of the other online retailers. I was hoping to catch it while it was still $499, but it looks like I'm too late.

I'll probably buy the 789 at Circuit City if I can't find a better deal elsewhere. I found a 10% off coupon online for CC so the $599 price tag actually gets cut to $539. That's about the best deal I've been able to find today. If you'd rather buy it in store, you get an 8% discount by being a AAA member so you'd pay about $550. I have always had trouble pulling the trigger on electronics purchases. I'm brand new to the audio/video market, but it looks like a great quality receiver for the price. Anyone have some words of encouragement?
Old 08-21-2008, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gary J. must have a lot of pull at Logitech. A scant 2 hours after he sent his email, I got a call from Logitech. Coincidence? I think not.

I sent a number of email messages to Logitech about the 1909 codes. Several of these have gone unanswered until now. The tech had read the complete incident file and called to make sure he understood all the issues. He saw that I once had the 140+ codes in my 1909 profile, but was at a loss to explain why they had disappeared. He said he will contact the engineer who originally did the conversion of the Denon .pdf and get him to reactivate the missing codes.
He said this should be completed in 2-3 days.

Cross my fingers.

Do you think it's all in place now? -

Dear Gary,

Thank you for your recent inquiry about your Harmony Remote

We are happy to inform you that the Denon AVR 1909 is already in the Harmony database and we have many users who are successfully controlling this device.

If you are missing any buttons or controls for any of the devices on your Harmony remote, you can learn the button from your original remote, then map this in to your activities. Please follow these steps to capture the button from your original remote, and customize the buttons on your Harmony:
Old 08-21-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Do you think it's all in place now? -

We are happy to inform you that the Denon AVR 1909 is already in the Harmony database and we have many users who are successfully controlling this device.

Wishful thinking. The profile in the database will control the most basic functions, but it's a long way from complete. This is the same profile that's been in the database for a couple of weeks.

Hold your breath for another couple of days.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cey613 View Post

It looks like J&R has bumped the price up to $649 on the 1909 along with most of the other online retailers. I was hoping to catch it while it was still $499, but it looks like I'm too late.

Did you call J&R? The $499 price was only available over the phone.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:08 PM

Oh, awesome, thank you. I must have missed that. I'll give them a call.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cey613 View Post

I'll probably buy the 789 at Circuit City if I can't find a better deal elsewhere. I found a 10% off coupon online for CC so the $599 price tag actually gets cut to $539. That's about the best deal I've been able to find today. If you'd rather buy it in store, you get an 8% discount by being a AAA member so you'd pay about $550. I have always had trouble pulling the trigger on electronics purchases. I'm brand new to the audio/video market, but it looks like a great quality receiver for the price. Anyone have some words of encouragement?

I just bought the 789 at CC w/10% coupon. Great deal in my opinion. I've been comparing receivers for months, and I decided this was the best bang for the buck ...for my needs. go for it!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Wishful thinking. The profile in the database will control the most basic functions, but it's a long way from complete. This is the same profile that's been in the database for a couple of weeks.

Hold your breath for another couple of days.

I received the same email from them..... stock response when they see the remote in their database. I'll write them and tell them that those functions aren't available on the remote.....if others do the same, maybe they'll move on it.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

I received the same email from them..... stock response when they see the remote in their database. I'll write them and tell them that those functions aren't available on the remote.....if others do the same, maybe they'll move on it.

Has anyone tried adding the 2309, 889, 2809, etc. instead of the 1909? All the xx09 receivers should have the Audyssey buttons/features -- maybe they got the 2309ci commands correct and that one will do the trick?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 08-21-2008, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Has anyone tried adding the 2309, 889, 2809, etc. instead of the 1909? All the xx09 receivers should have the Audyssey buttons/features -- maybe they got the 2309ci commands correct and that one will do the trick?

I am still using the codes for a ten year old Denon AVR-3300 that I replaced with the 1909 meanwhile. It only took a few minutes to replace some codes that did not work and add a couple of new ones.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobP View Post

I have the BD 30. So this would mean that the audio coming to my receiver, which does not do TrueHD, is inferior and not the "best" available. What IS coming through then? A stereo signal?

When I first got the blueray there seemed to be options for Dolby Digital in addition to TrueHD on the blueray disc. Recently it seems most all the disc we've watched are TrueHD only and my Onkyo switches to "stereo". Then I have to switch it to the "theater" mode to get surround of some kind.

BTW, I'm sending the video via HDMI to my Panny PT AE700U and audio via optical.

Thanks for the replies. If I'm not getting the "best" audio presently, I'm off to BB and picking up the 1909.

Bob

Didn't look like you got an answer to this on the last page..?

From what I understand, if you want to get TrueHD sound out of your BD30 you will need to do two things: (1) purchase a new receiver that decodes TrueHD, and (2) hook the BD30 to the new receiver using HDMI - you cannot get TrueHD via the optical cable.

Hope that helps - Happy Shopping!
Old 08-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

so i use a PS3 - therefore lossless is via pcm. anyways the 1909 signal doesn't say TrueHD or DTA-MA. it says MultChIn. does that mean i'm getting lossless?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If I hook up a DVI-out DVD player (Oppo 971) to the 1909 via HDMI, can I get audio to work?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by union1411 View Post

so i use a PS3 - therefore lossless is via pcm. anyways the 1909 signal doesn't say TrueHD or DTA-MA. it says MultChIn. does that mean i'm getting lossless?

Yeah. With a PS3 you don't need a receiver that can handle DTS-MA or TrueHD bitstream, you need one that can handle LPCM. The 1909 can do both but for us PS3 owners we don't get the cool HD audio light to light up and see DTS-MA or TrueHD on the display (but if you hit select on the game controller while watching a movie, the correct audio output should show in the top right of the screen - then you know your sending the HD audio just as MultiChIn. I could care less about the logos. I'd rather play games on my BR player than see the logo for the duration of a movie.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
Old 08-21-2008, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcutter View Post

If I hook up a DVI-out DVD player (Oppo 971) to the 1909 via HDMI, can I get audio to work?

I thought DVI was only for video transfer. You will need an audio connection to hear sound. I think that was why devices went to HDMI as it could carry both audio and video.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

Ok I did some further digging and on pg. 50 of the manual. If you want to use Dynamic Volume, you must turn ON Dynamic EQ. But if you turn ON Dynamic EQ, you have Tone Control (bass and treble) and Night Mode switched OFF automatically for you. That explains why I cant find an input that allows Tone Control.

Thus if you wish to change the tonal quality for each speaker after the Audessey Mult EQ has been run, but you wish to use Dynamic EQ with Volume EQ, you will need to enter Manual EQ (pg. 34) and it appears that you can use then base curve from Audessey and proceed to tweak the speakers. Then back on pg.50 when it asks you for which MultEQ you want to use, you would select MANUAL.

Seems pretty hard to do for my taste. Thus, if you simply just want to tweak bass and treble, you will need to turn Dynamic EQ OFF.

Ok so I did some work with my 1909 and found the below works for me

1. for HT movies (DVD/BR) - Audessey EQ, Dynamic EQ ON, Volume EQ OFF.
2. for TV - Audessey EQ, Dynamic EQ ON, Volume EQ ON (evening).
3. for Music (Radio/CD) in 5CH Stereo - Manual EQ (user defined), Tone adjusted to taste, Dynamic EQ OFF (default), Volume EQ OFF (default)
I really sat down tonight with a favorite acoustic CD and played with the different settings of Audessey, Audessey flat (for music)with Dynamic EQ ON and OFF, Manual (after setting an EQ curve), and I was able to produce a more enjoyable sound with the Manual tweaking. But to each his own.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

I thought DVI was only for video transfer. You will need an audio connection to hear sound. I think that was why devices went to HDMI as it could carry both audio and video.

Yes, DVI is video only. But can I select HDMI for video and fiber optic for audio?
Old 08-22-2008, 12:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked: 1589
Quote:

Yes, DVI is video only. But can I select HDMI for video and fiber optic for audio?

yep, shouldn't be a problem

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 08-22-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:

Confirmed. I have the 971H and that is exactly what I do.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
batpig, Thank you!

This is my first home theater system and I knew something sounded wrong. This really helped take receiver out of the equation. Come to find out from the head engineer of my speakers that mine shipped with no dacron stuffing. No wonder they sounded like the rapp'n granny The manufacturer is going to take care of me, so no gripes with them.

Denon AVR 1909: 1
Speakers: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

The setting for listening to unprocessed 2-channel stereo is the "DIRECT" mode. There should be a button that says "DIRECT" or "DIRECT/STEREO" on the remote.

However, in order to make sure "DIRECT" is actually unprocessed, you have to check a couple of settings in the AUDIO SETUP menu (pg 33-34 of the manual).

The 1909/789 allows you to have different speaker setup/crossover/EQ settings for 2-channel listening (DIRECT or STEREO mode), because what sounds good for 2-channel music isn't always the same as for full-on surround sound.

If you check out pg 33 of the manual, under AUDIO SETUP, there is a sub-menu called "2ch DIRECT/STEREO".

Go into this menu, select "Custom" (if you leave it at "Basic" it will just use the settings you set up for general surround use), and then set up your front towers as LARGE and set Subwoofer to NO, and then set your speaker distance manually (use a tape measure or estimate or whatever).

Next, go into the sub-menu called "EQ PRESET" (also in the AUDIO SETUP, pg 34 in the manual) and under "Direct Mode", turn MultEQ to OFF.

Now, when you are listening to a CD and hit DIRECT, you will be listening to unprocessed, 2-channel music, with Audyssey totally disabled, played through your front towers with no crossover and no other speakers involved.

If you want to start involving the sub (for 2.1 stereo) or Audyssey's EQ curves, you can play with all the options in those two sub-menus to get 2-channel stereo listening as you want it.

(Also, on a side note, if Audyssey is screwing up your crossover settings feel free to change them manually to something more reasonable like 80Hz. Check out the official Audyssey thread and do some reading, changing the crossover manually won't mess anything up)

Hope that helps!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post

Did you call J&R? The $499 price was only available over the phone.

I just called and was quoted $599.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:13 AM

Is the 1909 enough to drive a Bigfoot center? (Rocket RSC200?)
Old 08-22-2008, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post

I just called and was quoted $599.

Did you call Jacques at 800-221-8180 Ext. 1015 or you just called J&R? Jacques is the one to call for that price; if that is not the number you called, then please try again.

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver