post #10741 of 11355 Old 09-28-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

Just FTI - from what I have read the Star Wars issue was resolved with the f/w update for the 1909 that came out last Spring/Summer. Your DSP should be at 45.45. So what you should end up with is 00.90/00.29/45.45. Anything older will have the audio dropouts and possible DTS bomb.

I am still interested in hearing what other recent updates produce, but my guess is you will get 45.45.

I am now very glad that I was asleep at the wheel early last year when the "boomy bass" bug was discovered. By waiting I was able to kill two birds with one stone and don't have to be without my precious AVR yet again. And I didn't get hit with the Star Wars audio issues either.

Good luck out there. If you haven't done the update, for whatever reason, now is the time since it will be done "free" even out of warranty.

Has anyone contacted Denon about this? I called them, and they gave me the number to a "super service center" and Denon told me i'd have to pay only for shipping. I asked if I needed an RMA number, and they said "no, just call the center". I called them, and they are going to charge me $75 to update the firmware, and said Denon would have contacted them with an RMA number if Denon was covering the labor fee.

Not sure what to do now. I wouldn't mind doing it for ~$40 in shipping costs, but i'm not sure I want to spend over $100 on a 3 year old receiver.

If the firmware would also fix the issue I have when I pause/rw/ff a movie and the sound goes away (until I press a source input) I would probably think it is worth it, but I don't know if it will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10742 of 11355 Old 09-28-2011, 03:15 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Not sure ... give the guys at NeedleDoctor a call and get their advice as they sell both.

Thanks for your help!
post #10743 of 11355 Old 09-28-2011, 06:49 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

Has anyone contacted Denon about this? I called them, and they gave me the number to a "super service center" and Denon told me i'd have to pay only for shipping. I asked if I needed an RMA number, and they said "no, just call the center". I called them, and they are going to charge me $75 to update the firmware, and said Denon would have contacted them with an RMA number if Denon was covering the labor fee.

They should not be charging you for the update as long as you indicate you want to resolve the Star Wars audio dropout issue. Was this the Gold Crown Electronics shop? If yes, I'll contact Denon in the morning and ask that they follow up with their service centers about this update.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #10744 of 11355 Old 09-28-2011, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi.
Thanks. It was Gold Crown in California.

The guy I talked to at Denon was great, but he hadn't heard of the issue. He talked to his supervisor and then said that I could switch to lpcm or get it updated. I want the update, so I asked if I needed to tell them anything in particular at Gold Crown and he said "no, just tell them you need a DTS firmware update". The lady at Gold Crown thought I was pulling a fast one on her when I said I was supposed to only pay for shipping.

Thanks. Let me know when I should call Denon again!
post #10745 of 11355 Old 09-29-2011, 05:48 AM
585-645-1006

^^
I've contacted Denon, however, in the meantime, you may want to call Gold Crown back and ask they follow up with Denon themselves to speed up the process.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #10746 of 11355 Old 09-29-2011, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Not sure what to do now. I wouldn't mind doing it for ~$40 in shipping costs, but i'm not sure I want to spend over $100 on a 3 year old receiver.

If the firmware would also fix the issue I have when I pause/rw/ff a movie and the sound goes away (until I press a source input) I would probably think it is worth it, but I don't know if it will.

Just call Cold Crown and have them contact Denon. You may also need to call Denon back and get someone that can give authorization to old Crown. You probably got the 2nd shift when you called ;-)

As far as shipping you should consider FedEx Ground as an option since it is usually much cheeper than UPS or USPS for heavy stuff, is generally quicker than UPS Ground, includes $100 of free insurance and they generally have better more reliable tracking in my experience. Also if you have an account with them (as opposed to just dropping it of at a FedEx Office location and paying there) you will get a discount (you can open a personal/business account if you don't have access to one at your employer). Also since it is going to a business you will get an an additional discount over Home Delivery ground service which is more. Of course if you are in a major hurry, you may want to ship it quicker, but it is likely to sit for a day or two anyhow before it gets worked on and it's sure to ship back to you slow boat.

Do you have to pay freight to get it back to you, in addition to getting it there? I've always taken mine to a local shop, so I haven't needed to worry about that.

What player do you use, I forget. Your issue of audio blanking out with DTS-HD MA when you chapter skip or FF/RW will likely not be resolved by this update. In my case with the Samsung BD-UP5000 I still have that issue on most discs, but it is much better than it used to be. Issue did not happen on a 1610 that had some of the updates, but not all, however I did get clicking and popping sounds in the rears when Dynamic Volume was turned on. I supposed that the later updates would fix that. I have learned to just deal with it and I use the Mode Standard button to restore the audio. Also if you have a Harmony or other programable remote you can link the Mode Standard code to send after the chapter skip and program the ^ and v buttons to do those functions. It works really well. Unfortunately there is no fix for ff/rw other than just hitting Mode Standard after. Small studio releases and many newer releases either don't have this issue, or it is not quite as bad. Most discs for me have the problem with MOST chapters, where newer and small studio releases don't have the issue with MOST chapters. It's pretty random and I have had different results at different times with the same disc. I think it has to do with timing of the stream re-negotiating or possibly the player or AVR just having a slight pause when it is supposed to be doing something. I haven't tried other players other than my LGBH200 which I don't recall it having the problem on the very rare instances where I have to drag it down from upstairs to play something that won't on the Sammy.
post #10747 of 11355 Old 09-29-2011, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Mr.Kludge,

I'll try FedEx Ground. Too bad it won't fix the audio dropouts after FF/RW. Now, I definitely won't get it fixed unless the labor is free.

I use a PS3 and a BoxeeBox to bistream HD audio. I have programmed the mode:standard button to my LCD on my Harmony, and it works well. It is just that I'd like to upgrade to the xx13 series, or maybe xx14 series, in the future, and when selling my 789 I would like to not have to explain that you can't FF or RW without resetting the mode.

Do you know what the cause of this is? Is this still around on newer units? The Denon CSR said it was an HDCP handshake issue, and the newer models deal with it better. Is that the case? I really love my Denon, but I don't want this to be an issue in the next receiver, so I'm hoping it is solved (or at least present in all brands).

I'll give Gold Coast a call today and try to clear this up.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

Brandon
post #10748 of 11355 Old 09-29-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Mr.Kludge,

I'll try FedEx Ground. Too bad it won't fix the audio dropouts after FF/RW. Now, I definitely won't get it fixed unless the labor is free.

I use a PS3 and a BoxeeBox to bistream HD audio. I have programmed the mode:standard button to my LCD on my Harmony, and it works well. It is just that I'd like to upgrade to the xx13 series, or maybe xx14 series, in the future, and when selling my 789 I would like to not have to explain that you can't FF or RW without resetting the mode.

Do you know what the cause of this is? Is this still around on newer units? The Denon CSR said it was an HDCP handshake issue, and the newer models deal with it better. Is that the case? I really love my Denon, but I don't want this to be an issue in the next receiver, so I'm hoping it is solved (or at least present in all brands).

I'll give Gold Coast a call today and try to clear this up.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

Brandon

I don't know what the cause is and the problem does not happen on newer Denon AVRs, at least with my player, and I assume with only a few older players and the PS3 recent firmware for some strange reason. The CSR is wrong, at least in my case, it can't he a HDCP or HDMI handshake issue since it does not re-negotiate that afaIK. It is something specific to just the DTS-HD MA stream and timing of what signals and when the player sends to the AVR after the skip/ff/rw function. I only have the issue with DTS-HD MA and no other streams. I haven't paid much attention to DTS-HD/DTS-HD HR discs since I don't have very many of those, but I don't recall them being an issue. DDTHD, DTS, DD, LPCM etc. are all fine. I assume that only a very few players have this issue with the 1909 since I haven't seen many people complain about it. I did run into a couple posts about various older Denons having the issue with the BD-UP5000 so I know it is not unique to me. The PS3 issue is a recent development as no one brought this up until recently. Or maybe no one had tried a PS3 with it until now? I think someone posted that they started having the issue after a recent update?
post #10749 of 11355 Old 09-29-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi again,

Yeah, this didn't happen with the PS3 for a long time, then maybe 6-8 months ago (just a guess), i started to get this issue. I thought my PS3 was on the fritz, but then noticed the same thing with my boxee box....so i assumed my 789 was the culprit. Very strange...but a good reason to upgrade!

My next AVR will definitely have an ethernet port for firmware updates, and an onscreen overlay (HDMI) for volume, etc. I think that has already moved down to the 23xx series, so it is within my price range now.

I suppose new receivers will be announce at CES? or maybe a bit later, so I'll see what they bring (airplay to more models, i imagine, but not sure what else).
post #10750 of 11355 Old 09-29-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Well,

Just talked to Gold Crown again, and was told by someone else that Denon never covers labor, even for out of warranty firmware bugs, so there is no way that I can get it fixed for just the shipping cost. She was adamant that this is something Denon never does.

I guess I'll try Denon again.

Frustrating
post #10751 of 11355 Old 09-29-2011, 10:09 AM

Liked: 32
Send it to Panurgy and KNOW it is done correctly with no balk talk. If you have to ship it anyway, may as well ship it there. The Denon site will direct you to them AND generate a SRA for you.
post #10752 of 11355 Old 09-29-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Send it to Panurgy and KNOW it is done correctly with no balk talk. If you have to ship it anyway, may as well ship it there. The Denon site will direct you to them AND generate a SRA for you.

I just spoke to Denon, and they are contacting Gold Crown to make sure it gets fixed for free (except for shipping).

I must say, both people I talked to at Denon were extremely pleasant and helpful. Goes a long way to locking in the choice of company for my next receiver.

I'll cut the Gold Crown people some slack, since I understand that from their point of view I seem like a guy trying to scam some free work out of them.
post #10753 of 11355 Old 09-29-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just spoke to Denon, and they are contacting Gold Crown to make sure it gets fixed for free (except for shipping).

I must say, both people I talked to at Denon were extremely pleasant and helpful. Goes a long way to locking in the choice of company for my next receiver.

I'll cut the Gold Crown people some slack, since I understand that from their point of view I seem like a guy trying to scam some free work out of them.

I'm sure they have it, but have you double checked with Gold Crown that they have the "jig" that is required to connect to the AVR to do the flash? Originally my shop told me they did, then when there was a long delay they told me they had to order "an adapter" for the job, I later learned that the adapter was the jig they told me they had in the first place. That turned a one week job (due only to backlog) to a 3-4 week one. If you are sending it in anyway I would recommend the main facility in NJ.

I thought it was funny that my local shop said that normally they don't need anything for a Denon AVR update and had NEVER had to do a update on one of the non field upgradable units. I think they had done the serial port ones, but most were easy updates that the consumer could do themselves (I.E. ethernet or other method). Gee, if I could do it myself, why would I be taking it to the shop?

Now that they have the "jig" I would not hesitate to take it there again (or even for repair). They are a great shop and I've had them fix lots of things in the past, they just got surprised by that particular jig.

Regarding that jig, I have the part number written on my shop receipt and I looked it up on the Internet and you can order it through a seller on Amazon. I believe the install software and procedure is the same as the serial port updates (or very close) the only trick would be to get the actual firmware update from Denon.
post #10754 of 11355 Old 09-29-2011, 10:38 AM

Liked: 12
Has anyone used a service center in the Denver area for the firmware upgrade?
post #10755 of 11355 Old 10-08-2011, 08:44 PM

So, just after watching the Lion King on Blu, my 1611 AVR popped and shut off. Tried to power it on, just shows a fast blinking red light, did a little forum digging, unplugged all the speaker wires: still blinking, reset the microprocessor: still blinking.

Did the Lion King really just kill my Denon?

I'll call Denon in the morning, unless anyone has any ideas?

Pretty new only had it maybe a year or less. Got it new.

Also, my speakers are 8 ohms, so I'm not exceeding anything there.
post #10756 of 11355 Old 10-08-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryyce View Post

So, just after watching the Lion King on Blu, my 1611 AVR popped and shut off. Tried to power it on, just shows a fast blinking red light, did a little forum digging, unplugged all the speaker wires: still blinking, reset the microprocessor: still blinking.

Did the Lion King really just kill my Denon?

I'll call Denon in the morning, unless anyone has any ideas?

Pretty new only had it maybe a year or less. Got it new.

Also, my speakers are 8 ohms, so I'm not exceeding anything there.

Just realized I put this in the wrong thread... sorry guys.
post #10757 of 11355 Old 10-23-2011, 07:54 PM

Liked: 15
Hi Everybody:

I'm about at my wit's end with this. My 1909 basically stopped outputting any sound. No sound from any peripherals--whether connected via HDMI or RCA, and no sound from the tuner. I checked the mute (it's not that). I checked speaker connections, all are solid. I did a microprocessor reset, still no sound. I tried to do an auto setup (with the mic attached), and it won't do anything--the setup won't run. Any thoughts?

Jeff

post #10758 of 11355 Old 10-23-2011, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm13 View Post

Hi Everybody:

I'm about at my wit's end with this. My 1909 basically stopped outputting any sound. No sound from any peripherals--whether connected via HDMI or RCA, and no sound from the tuner. I checked the mute (it's not that). I checked speaker connections, all are solid. I did a microprocessor reset, still no sound. I tried to do an auto setup (with the mic attached), and it won't do anything--the setup won't run. Any thoughts?

Jeff

Hi Jeff, try blowing compressed air into the headphone jack or take a set of headphone and insert/remove it a few times.
post #10759 of 11355 Old 10-24-2011, 05:14 AM

Liked: 15
That was it. Thanks--that was a heck of a lot cheaper than the alternatives

post #10760 of 11355 Old 10-24-2011, 08:16 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Jeff, try blowing compressed air into the headphone jack or take a set of headphone and insert/remove it a few times.

Awesome tip!!!!!
post #10761 of 11355 Old 10-26-2011, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have a 1909. It will play for an hour or so then make the same noise it makes when it turns on and off, the display will either go dim or cut off, and sound goes off.

Any ideas? How much will it cost to get fixed? What is this receiver worth as it is or fixed?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
post #10762 of 11355 Old 10-26-2011, 06:13 PM
585-645-1006

Sounds like it could be amp failure which would likely cost $200-$300 to repair if outside the 2 year warranty which is all the AVR is actually worth fixed. Check to make sure there are no loose wires from one speaker post touching another post. Then reset the microprocessor (p. 64) to see if that resolves the issue.

"JD" –

post #10763 of 11355 Old 10-27-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Sounds like it could be amp failure which would likely cost $200-$300 to repair if outside the 2 year warranty which is all the AVR is actually worth fixed. Check to make sure there are no loose wires from one speaker post touching another post. Then reset the microprocessor (p. 64) to see if that resolves the issue.

I reset the microprocessor and checked the speaker post. Still cuts out. I am impatient and with the deals out there I went ahead and picked up a new receiver. best place to try to sell this one as is? I have both remotes also.

Thanks
post #10764 of 11355 Old 10-27-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

did you get another Denon? If so, which one? just curious.

I think i'll be sticking with Denon. I was very pleased with them when i called to ask about the DTS firmware update, and really like the receiver (except for the issue that causes audio to drop out after pausing until I hit the mode button).

I guess we'll hear about the xx13s at CES in 3 months?
post #10765 of 11355 Old 10-27-2011, 02:04 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4saints View Post

I reset the microprocessor and checked the speaker post. Still cuts out. I am impatient and with the deals out there I went ahead and picked up a new receiver. best place to try to sell this one as is? I have both remotes also.

Thanks

You might try Craigslist .. they have a For Sale - FREE section.

"JD" –

post #10766 of 11355 Old 10-27-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:

did you get another Denon? If so, which one? just curious.

I think i'll be sticking with Denon. I was very pleased with them when i called to ask about the DTS firmware update, and really like the receiver (except for the issue that causes audio to drop out after pausing until I hit the mode button).

I guess we'll hear about the xx13s at CES in 3 months?

I did not get another Denon. I had nothing against Denon, but for my needs right now a competing manufacturer had a better deal for me. Well, I was little disappointed that I had a receiver 3.5 years and it may have become a boat anchor now. That being said, If the deal for a Denon had been better, I may have went with Denon anyways and bought an ext. warranty I guess.

I did not have quite as good of luck the few times I called Denon. The reps were not quite as friendly, but that could have been a bad day by a single employee. We all have bad days.

Quote:

You might try Craigslist .. they have a For Sale - FREE section.

Yea, I may have to just donate it and write it off. Kind of stinks its worth nothing knowing that someone out there may be able to pop the top off replace a capacitor and/or do a little soldering and have a great receiver...Unfortunately, I don't have those talents.
post #10767 of 11355 Old 11-09-2011, 10:59 PM

Hello. I had my AVR-1909 set up to automatically shut down when I turn off my TV; however, I had to fiddle with some settings after some others in the house hit some odd buttons, and now I cannot find this 'auto-off' setting. Could someone drop a few hints on how to regain this feature? A future thanks to any who oblige!
post #10768 of 11355 Old 11-10-2011, 04:08 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Set HDMI-Control to ON.

"JD" –

post #10769 of 11355 Old 11-10-2011, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

^^
Set HDMI-Control to ON.

Will this setting also turn receiver on when TV is turned on too?
post #10770 of 11355 Old 11-10-2011, 07:05 AM
585-645-1006

Depends on the TV, but generally yes.

"JD" –

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page