Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #10891 of 11386 Old 04-17-2012, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yep. Nothing but power connected.

That's what I guessed. Not worth paying the hourly fee to just to find out the repair cost is going to be close to the price for the brand new AVR-1712 I got on sale from Fry's yesterday for $227. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
So it shuts off without any source or speakers connected to it?

You're likely looking at a repair cost of at least $200. Generally a repair facility will charge their hourly fee ($75) to take a look at it and then apply that to the actual repair cost should you decide to have it repaired with them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10892 of 11386 Old 04-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post

Anyone have a guess what the repair on a 1909 would be that won't turn on. (Blinking red light. Tried microprocessor reset but no luck.) Strangely it stopped working I think while it wasn't being used, unless the person stopping by to feed my cats cranked the stereo too loud while I was gone. (Cable box was frozen too - seems like maybe a power surge?) There's no smell/indication of any overheating issue. Ran great since purchase and rarely turned it up very loud. Well ventilated.

Does the service center diagnose it for free typically? I got a new 1712 for $227 at Fry's which seemed like a no brainer. Maybe I can unload the 1909 on Ebay for parts?

Cats, mabey they pissed on it, or dropped something in it. I would open the case and take a good hard look. Turn it up side down and give it a good shake. There could be a dead bug in there, the term bug really did mean bugs at one time.
post #10893 of 11386 Old 04-19-2012, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Blu-ray concert discs sound great. Thought I would get some concert DVD's that say "remastered in 5.1" but they seem to come across as PCM 2.0 on my Denon 1909. Sounded pretty bad compared to the blu ray concert discs.

Maybe its a setting in the sony 570 blu ray player?
Thanks for any help.

My last receiver Onkyo TX-SV717PRO.
NO HDMI, digital audio, component video, XM or Ipod.
NO problems.
post #10894 of 11386 Old 04-19-2012, 04:58 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1965 Post(s)
Liked: 1746
^^
If BD's are coming across as DD/DTS 5.1 then the BDP is correctly set to "bitstream" and more likely the issue is the DVD (ie. the remastered 5.1 audio track isn't selected).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #10895 of 11386 Old 04-19-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrin View Post

Maybe its a setting in the sony 570 blu ray player?
Thanks for any help.

that's the ONLY thing it could possibly be. The receiver cannot control the signal it gets, it can only play what it receives. Any time the receiver isn't getting the input signal you think it should be getting the issue is the SOURCE.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #10896 of 11386 Old 04-19-2012, 04:20 PM

Thanks guys. I tried to change it on the DVD's menu and it stayed as 2.0 then tried to change it in the BD player menu and stayed the same. Then I pressed an "audio" button on the BD player remote and like magic it went to 5.1. LOL
Thanks again.

My last receiver Onkyo TX-SV717PRO.
NO HDMI, digital audio, component video, XM or Ipod.
NO problems.
post #10897 of 11386 Old 04-29-2012, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post

Yep. Nothing but power connected.

That's what I guessed. Not worth paying the hourly fee to just to find out the repair cost is going to be close to the price for the brand new AVR-1712 I got on sale from Fry's yesterday for $227. LOL.

Did you ever call Denon about this? This exact same thing just happened to mine and I have vetted all the troubleshooting options and now am just waiting to call Denon when they're open tomorrow.

Seems pretty sh!tty if you ask me. I won't be buying another Denon if they tell me I have to go to a repair shop and pay nearly what a new one costs to have it fixed on my own. Haven't even had it 3 years, with light use.

I had a pretty basic 5.1 Sony receiver prior to this one that I payed around $200 for 10 years ago and it worked like a champ the whole time.
post #10898 of 11386 Old 04-30-2012, 04:35 PM

Last Tuesday (4/24) I found that DTV sent updated s/w to my HR24 DVR and every time I transition from recorded material to Live TV (and vice versa), the screen blanks out and my Samsung LCD shows "No Signal - Check Input Cables" etc.

I found also that I can get the picture back each time by switching to another input and then back. That's why I'm assuming it's a sync signal thing.

Troubleshooting: (Between DVR and Blu Ray) I've swapped HDMI inputs on the 1909 and swapped HDMI cables - same result. When I send the DVR directly to the TV, no issues - TV handles the transitions fine.

I've had all the same equipment connected for the past 15mos and nothing moves (cables aren't loose, fatigued, etc) So what happened?

Thanks for any help (in a thread for a 3yr old receiver)
post #10899 of 11386 Old 04-30-2012, 04:45 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Try changing the power on order for the DVR, TV, and AVR, otherwise you may need to connect the HDMI directly to the TV until another DVR firmware update is loaded.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #10900 of 11386 Old 05-27-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 59
While watching tv last night we had an extended power outage. I went to bed and woke up to the dlp and avr being on and the 1909 had lost its mind like the processor had been reset. I thought the cap would keep it going for about a week unplugged. Is there a difference if you loose power while it is on and not in standby or completely off? We recently moved and it was unplugged while in standby for at least 6-7 hours and retained its config just fine so I know the cap is good for at least that long. This power outage was only for 2-3 hours, however as I say it was still turned on. Is there something I can do to avoid this in the future. I would have plugged it into the ups had I thought this would be an issue. Currently I only use the ups for the dvr so I don't have to wait a day for the guide to fully populate after short power bumps. I could have plugged it into the ups and put it in standby or completely turned it off with the little switch. I have had this avr since may or so of '09 and this is the first time I have had an issue like this. Only other time I lost config was when I had the firmware updated and I knew it would have to be reprogramed after that since the shop had it for several weeks.

Should I reset the processor before setting it up again? I suppose it can't hurt it in its present state and probably a good idea.

Only difference now than the move was it was powered on when the power was cut and I had turned off hdmi control to save energy since I don't need pass-thru anymore in my new configuration. I.E, the kids are gone, the boss has her own plasma and setup upstairs in the great room and does not watch tv in the theater and I always watch tv in 7.1.

Now I get to set up aud. yet again AND resetup all the inputs. Goodthing I still have notes written down from when I had the firmware updated otherwise I would be hopelessly lost. At first I thought the hdmi board had gone out since I could get no sound until I realized the volume was turned completely down and there was not an hdmi assignment for the tv input and I thought that defaulted to hdmi 1 but I guess not. I also could not get it out of stereo only mode for some strange reason.
post #10901 of 11386 Old 05-27-2012, 12:18 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Yes, although Denon AVRs will generally retain all config settings for at least 1-2 weeks when set to STANDBY and then unplugged, when power is abruptly lost while powered ON, the unit is more likely to lose all settings.

post #10902 of 11386 Old 05-27-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^
Yes, although Denon AVRs will generally retain all config settings for at least 1-2 weeks when set to STANDBY and then unplugged, when power is abruptly lost while powered ON, the unit is more likely to lose all settings.

I figured as much. So if you switch the little master power to off and let it sit, does it last as long as when put in stand-by?

It was not that big of a deal since I had to re-run aud. for some slight room changes anyway and the input set-up only took a min. since I had notes. It was not completely reset. For example V.AUX was still set to HDMI-3 (or it was working since I had my Roku hooked there)? I did not check the entire assignments before I double checked the firmware and did a processor reset. For some reason the AMP assign always trips me up now that I have a 7.1 set-up. You would think it would start at 7.1 and stick you back in Zone2 config, if you happen to only have 6 speakers.

Next time this happens, I am going to quickly plug it into the UPS and put it in stand-by, given that I can even find the right cord and get to it in the mess behind the console.
post #10903 of 11386 Old 05-27-2012, 01:28 PM
585-645-1006

^^
AFAIK, powering OFF but still plugged in should still retain the settings as well.

post #10904 of 11386 Old 05-27-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^
AFAIK, powering OFF but still plugged in should still retain the settings as well.

Thanks you are a wealth of very valuable information. Do you know if during a power failure while on if you switch off that you can mitigate possible settings loss? Seems odd there is nothing you can do in that situation. It is as likely to have a power failure while on as not.
post #10905 of 11386 Old 05-27-2012, 10:45 PM

Liked: 32
Generally, you shouldn't lose anything in a blackout. My 789 always retained all memories.

That said, you should connect to a UPS &/or power surge/conditioner type device. This is the best protection for the unit. It should be used 24/7.
post #10906 of 11386 Old 05-27-2012, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Generally, you shouldn't lose anything in a blackout. My 789 always retained all memories.

That said, you should connect to a UPS &/or power surge/conditioner type device. This is the best protection for the unit. It should be used 24/7.

Ya, I have it on the conditioning side of the UPS but not the battery backup side since it would suck the battery rather quickly. If it happens again I will move it to the battery side. I have never had an issue, but other blackouts we had at the old house were rarely very long, generally under an hour or way shorter. A month in the new house and last Monday we had a 2-3 second outage (that took Comcast out) and now this 3-4 hour one. Makes me wonder.
post #10907 of 11386 Old 05-28-2012, 05:00 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

Thanks you are a wealth of very valuable information. Do you know if during a power failure while on if you switch off that you can mitigate possible settings loss? Seems odd there is nothing you can do in that situation. It is as likely to have a power failure while on as not.

Correct. If the unit is still powered ON and you switch it OFF prior to power failure, settings shouldn't be lost.

post #10908 of 11386 Old 05-29-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Is Denon still honoring units that have the buggy firmware?
post #10909 of 11386 Old 05-29-2012, 10:32 AM
585-645-1006

^^
The repair facility should if you tell them you want the "Star Wars" update.

post #10910 of 11386 Old 05-29-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^
The repair facility should if you tell them you want the "Star Wars" update.

Hey jd,

Does the "Star wars" update include the audyssey fix?

Have a great day!
post #10911 of 11386 Old 05-29-2012, 02:18 PM
585-645-1006

Yes, every firmware update includes all earlier updates as well. However, if you say you want the "MultEQ" update they'll charge you for it as the unit is out of warranty. Denon made an exception to the outdated warranty when the "Star Wars - The Complete Saga" BD audio dropout issue occurred last summer which is why you want to ask for the Star Wars update to get it for free.

post #10912 of 11386 Old 05-29-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, every firmware update includes all earlier updates as well. However, if you say you want the "MultEQ" update they'll charge you for it as the unit is out of warranty. Denon made an exception to the outdated warranty when the "Star Wars - The Complete Saga" BD audio dropout issue occurred last summer which is why you want to ask for the Star Wars update to get it for free.

Thanks so much for the info jd!
post #10913 of 11386 Old 05-29-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks so much for the info jd!
post #10914 of 11386 Old 06-01-2012, 05:50 AM

A weird issue with my 789 started yesterday. When I turn the system on for my DirecTV receiver, it doesn't recognize the sat receiver. If I press the source button on the receiver or switch the source from Sat to another source (like DVD) and then back, it works OK. However, the problem recurs if I change the channel or try to watch something from the DVR. It is a pain in the butt to have to get up every time I change the channel. Seems to work OK with other sources (like my blu-ray).

Any ideas what might be going on and how to fix it?

EDIT - looks like someone else had this problem above....when a DVR s/w push was sent.
post #10915 of 11386 Old 06-01-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azamhuss View Post

Last Tuesday (4/24) I found that DTV sent updated s/w to my HR24 DVR and every time I transition from recorded material to Live TV (and vice versa), the screen blanks out and my Samsung LCD shows "No Signal - Check Input Cables" etc.

I found also that I can get the picture back each time by switching to another input and then back. That's why I'm assuming it's a sync signal thing.

Troubleshooting: (Between DVR and Blu Ray) I've swapped HDMI inputs on the 1909 and swapped HDMI cables - same result. When I send the DVR directly to the TV, no issues - TV handles the transitions fine.

I've had all the same equipment connected for the past 15mos and nothing moves (cables aren't loose, fatigued, etc) So what happened?

Thanks for any help (in a thread for a 3yr old receiver)

Did you solve your problem? I am having the same issue.
post #10916 of 11386 Old 06-01-2012, 06:02 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by eianson View Post

A weird issue with my 789 started yesterday. When I turn the system on for my DirecTV receiver, it doesn't recognize the sat receiver. If I press the source button on the receiver or switch the source from Sat to another source (like DVD) and then back, it works OK. However, the problem recurs if I change the channel or try to watch something from the DVR. It is a pain in the butt to have to get up every time I change the channel. Seems to work OK with other sources (like my blu-ray).

Any ideas what might be going on and how to fix it?

EDIT - looks like someone else had this problem above....when a DVR s/w push was sent.

As noted this is a result of a recent firmware update to your DTV box so until DTV issues another update that resolves the issue you can either connect the HDMI directly to your TV with optical to AVR, connect component/optical from the box to the AVR, or set the DTV box to a fixed resolution (eg. 1080i).

post #10917 of 11386 Old 06-03-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Correct. If the unit is still powered ON and you switch it OFF prior to power failure, settings shouldn't be lost.

Ya I understand that. What I was asking is if the power fails while it is on and then you switch it completely off with the little main power switch if that would mitigate loosing settings? I assume not since this AVRs power is all relay based?
post #10918 of 11386 Old 06-03-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I am considering purchasing a Definitive Technology sub that does not have a volume control. I am concerned that not having that will prevent proper Audessey setup. Anyone have experience with the 800 or 1000 model? I am also considering the super cube 2000 which does have a volume control, but it a little more than what I want to spend. The sc has more power, but for less I can get one with better bass extension?

Any other suggestions? For a decent middle of the road powered sub that the 1909 will like that has at least bass down to 20 cycles and is not more than $500. Caveat is that Crutchfield has to carry it.
post #10919 of 11386 Old 06-03-2012, 11:26 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

Ya I understand that. What I was asking is if the power fails while it is on and then you switch it completely off with the little main power switch if that would mitigate loosing settings? I assume not since this AVRs power is all relay based?

Sorry, misunderstood your post. If the power fails while powered ON, there's a strong chance the settings will be lost. I doubt changing the power switch after the fact will change that.

post #10920 of 11386 Old 06-03-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, misunderstood your post. If the power fails while powered ON, there's a strong chance the settings will be lost. I doubt changing the power switch after the fact will change that.

Well, that is a very poor design. Hopefully if and when it happens again the ups will keep it going. I'm going to move the avr to the ups after hearing this. Anyone know the amp/power in watts draw on the 1909 while in standby without hdmi control on? I think it is around 50 or 60 with hdmi control for pass thru on?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page