AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by union1411 View Post

anyone like the Dynamic EQ feature?

i did some a/b with it on and off and i think i really like it. i tried it with Die Hard 4 lossless blu ray and used it at about -22 volume for a satisfying sound. to get the same LFE and overall immersion, i had to go to -15 with the Dynamic EQ off. but at -15 everything other than the LFE was way too loud; so -15 wasn't watchable for me.

not sure if it's placebo or not, but i like it so far (and i wasn't expecting to use this feature when i first bought the receiver, because you know, i'm a tough guy audiophile who doesn't need this artificial stuff

I like the feature! I also like it in tandam with the Dynamic Volume.

I never thought I would use the dynamic volume feature..but when the wife complains about the high volume, it's great to use that feature to make her happy and to keep the sq consistent for me.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 11355 Old 08-25-2008, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking at buying the 789 soon. If I'm watching cable I may just want to use the tv sound instead of having to have my avr on. Is this possible or will i have to have the avr on ? I'm going to be using all HDMI cables. Thanks
post #1083 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 12:28 AM

Okay, sorry if this question is going slightly off-topic, but I wasn't sure where to ask this and figured some of you here might be able to help me out:

I'm looking at buying a subwoofer. I've set my budget at $200. I am willing to purchase one online, but am mostly looking at getting either the Polk PSW10 or Boston Acoustics HPS 10SE Horizon Subwoofer . I am looking to possibly purchase one of these two subwoofers at Circuit City this week. They are both on sale and with the coupon for 10% off subwoofers or $40 off any purchase $199 and up (making the Boston Acoustics sub $140) I was wondering if anyone here had an opinion on these subs, and even more importantly, since I am having trouble finding this out - will they be able to connect to the Denon 1909?

I have the Denon 1909 on order from J+R. It is set to be delivered on Wed. I was kind of hoping to have a subwoofer to go with my setup this week if at all possible. As a college student with limited funds I was hoping to not spend that much on a subwoofer and thats why, in store locally at least, I have limited myself to these two models.

I hope someone here know's more about this than me and can help me out! Thanks!
post #1084 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcobrar View Post

I'm looking at buying the 789 soon. If I'm watching cable I may just want to use the tv sound instead of having to have my avr on. Is this possible or will i have to have the avr on ? I'm going to be using all HDMI cables. Thanks

Yes..I have it set up that way now. You just have to keep the unit in standby, and turn hdmi control function on.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #1085 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 05:12 AM

I am trying to set up my new 1909 so I ran the autosetup and it set all my speakers to small with the fronts and center at 60hz and the rears at 80hz.
All the speakers are athena S.5 bookshelf style and in the instructions for the speakers it says to set them to large My sub is an athena with the crossover dial that has a specific setting for my S.5 athena bookshelf speakers in addition to the normal hz markings. Should I go by the auto setup that the 1909 is doing and if so what do I set my subwoofer at 60, 80 hz? or set it to the S.5 setting wich I think was designed for when the speakers are set to large. Or should I go back to a manual setup and set them all to large. It is my understanding that with manual setup I cant use dynamic eq or volume anymore. If I have to do a manual setup how do I turn off the auto setup and go back to manual setup. One last question once auto setup has completed can I make manual changes to the settings such as speaker size and leve.
post #1086 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

if you shop through google youll find out that one online seller is selling the 1909 for $460 shipped

however, the specs are shady as they could be, be careful I could not find any reviews for that website even tho it has a fairly high alexa rank

Blu-Ray Supporter
post #1087 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudgiator View Post

I recently owned an Onkyo 606 and there was the following "Buzz problem 1". What's about the 1909 ? Does it have the same problem as the Onkyo 606 ??

I have a 606 with the buzzing problems too. Mine buzzes on any and all digital inputs though whether via optical or HDMI, and even on uncompressed soundtracks found on some blu-ray discs. Strange thing is when on Dolby digital the buzzing stops when I pause the movie. On the uncompressed track the buzzing continues when I pause. Due to these issues I picked up a Denon 789 yesterday. Hooked it up and I have zero buzzing. I do like the remote on the Onkyo better though, and I think the Onkyo is easier to set up. The Denon sounds great, although I can't say for sure that it's better than the Onkyo. The Auydessy calibration is wildly different on the Denon than on the Onkyo. The Denon came up with some strange settings, although it sounds good on movies. I am keeping the Denon and returning the Onkyo 606.
post #1088 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

Yes..I have it set up that way now. You just have to keep the unit in standby, and turn hdmi control function on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcobrar View Post

I didn't want the power consumption (which I admit is low) or to have to remember to switch to the TV input after watching DVD before switching to standby so I ran optical cable from the cable box to the 1909 and HDMI directly from the cable box to the TV. At first I thought there was a delay in the audio when going through the 1909, but on further testing, it turned out to just be one channel that had the delay both ways. I suppose you could also run HDMI to the 1909 and component to the TV if the cable box supports it.
post #1089 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I picked up a Denon 789 yesterday to replace a buzzing Onkyo 606. The Denon was a bit more of a challange to set up, but not too bad once you figure it out. At least it doesn't buzz. I did get some strange settings in the auto set up though. It nailed the distances very well, but other settings are as follows.
Crossover:
Front (small) 90
Center (small) 40
Surround (small) 60

Levels:
FL +11
FR +10
C +6.5
SW + 9
SL + 10.5
SR + 9

I wonder about the crossover figures. The manual suggests 80 as a minimum, and even higher for small speakers. The levels are pumped up a lot too. Would this be because I have a large room with carpet and it's trying to pump up the volume for reference level to be correct? The sound is great on good sources like a Blu-ray disc, but I am getting a lot of rumbling from the sub on some tv shows which is very annoying. (I can turn the sub volume down and get rid of it but the movies will suffer unless I turn it back up for them). Any input is appreciated.
post #1090 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
All of those answers can be found here.

Gary J
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1091 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

All of those answers can be found here.

Thanks very much! I think I will re-run the setup using their tips. Do you think my first results are strange, or do they make some sense to you?
post #1092 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

Thanks very much! I think I will re-run the setup using their tips. Do you think my first results are strange, or do they make some sense to you?

You could turn up the gain a little on the back of the sub and re-calibrate. It is making all your settings a little high near the +12 limit. Sub +0 is ideal but not necessary.

You should try all 80Hz crossovers or higher. The sends more to the sub on which Audyssey applies the most correction since these frequencies are the most difficult to correct.

Make sure you have LPF/LFE crossover in the 789 set to max.

Gary J

post #1093 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 08:34 AM

Can anyone help me out?

I've noticed when watching a dvd or Blu ray movie on my Denon 1909 that it sounds pretty crappy in Dolby PLII cinema. The voices sound like they have too much bass and sounds muffled but when in 5Ch mode it sounds pretty good. I have a PS3 as my BR player if that matters and I feel like the sound should be better! Any ideas?

I've set my crossovers to 80Hz for my Kef speakers, and and Sub to LFE+Main. Audyssey EQ is set to Flat also if that matters. Any ideas besides trying to adjust the EQ manually?

I don't have the manual with me but how do i set my video to pass through? I rather have the TV and PS3 doing the video decoding.

thanks in advance
post #1094 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQFireGuy View Post

Can anyone help me out?

I've noticed when watching a dvd or Blu ray movie on my Denon 1909 that it sounds pretty crappy in Dolby PLII cinema. The voices sound like they have too much bass and sounds muffled but when in 5Ch mode it sounds pretty good. I have a PS3 as my BR player if that matters and I feel like the sound should be better! Any ideas?

I've set my crossovers to 80Hz for my Kef speakers, and and Sub to LFE+Main. Audyssey EQ is set to Flat also if that matters. Any ideas besides trying to adjust the EQ manually?

I don't have the manual with me but how do i set my video to pass through? I rather have the TV and PS3 doing the video decoding.

thanks in advance

Your sub should not be set to LFE+Main, just set it to LFE. That should help. Your x-over freq's look good. If it's not already, set the LFE freq up to 120.
post #1095 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPion View Post

Okay, sorry if this question is going slightly off-topic, but I wasn't sure where to ask this

Did you think to try the subwoofer forum?

Quote:

even more importantly, since I am having trouble finding this out - will they be able to connect to the Denon 1909?

Any modern receiver will be able to connect to pretty much any subwoofer. Don't sweat it....

For specific info/thoughts/recommendations on subs head to the subwoofer forum. Since you're a newbie, I will let you know that you probably won't get a response if you just post a thread without doing some legwork yourself. Instead, try some searches. Do a search on "budget subwoofer" and you'll get a zillion threads.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1096 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 10:00 AM

I called them up this morning, they are out of stock, but I was still able to place my order at the $499.99 price point... It'll be shipped to me as soon as they get another shipment...
post #1097 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 10:09 AM

[quote=HDMI_13;14314027]Please post Only Denon AVR 1909 related info here!

Model Denon AVR-1909 :
]

hello can anyone help??

ive just upgraded my reciever to the 1909 and i'm having difficult getting dolby true hd audio out,i'm running the necessary hdmi cables from the ps3 into the reciever but the receiver only displays 'multi channel in'. it says in the denon manual to change the bluray output from pcm to bitsream but when i do this i then get just dolby digital out.

any suggestions or answers would be gratefully recieved
post #1098 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

This question has been answered a thousand times, at least 10 of them being on this thread alone. Please take some time to read the "AVR FAQ" stickied at the top of this forum, or do a search for "PS3 TrueHD". The PS3 is incapable of bitstreaming TrueHD, please take some time to do some reading...

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1099 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOBUG View Post

I am trying to set up my new 1909 so I ran the autosetup and it set all my speakers to small with the fronts and center at 60hz and the rears at 80hz.
All the speakers are athena S.5 bookshelf style and in the instructions for the speakers it says to set them to large My sub is an athena with the crossover dial that has a specific setting for my S.5 athena bookshelf speakers in addition to the normal hz markings. Should I go by the auto setup that the 1909 is doing and if so what do I set my subwoofer at 60, 80 hz? or set it to the S.5 setting wich I think was designed for when the speakers are set to large. Or should I go back to a manual setup and set them all to large. It is my understanding that with manual setup I cant use dynamic eq or volume anymore. If I have to do a manual setup how do I turn off the auto setup and go back to manual setup. One last question once auto setup has completed can I make manual changes to the settings such as speaker size and leve.

You might try asking this in the Audyssey thread, though I'm pretty sure the answer will be to leave the mains set to small. The Audyssey rep makes a good argument for setting all mains to small. Also, see Gary J's link above for running auto setup and maybe read the last four or five day's worth of posts in the Audyssey thread for more info.
post #1100 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 11:17 AM

Is it okay to run a 5.1 setup on the Denon 789? Is it easy to setup in the user controls ? Will I still be taking advantage of all the features ? I'm not to up to date on how this home theater stuff works. Thanks.

I also need help putting together a nice speaker setup in the 5.1 format. I'm going to buy everything from Circuit City so maybe that will help you narrow it down for me. I would like to get the best bang for the buck as everyone wants too. I know you get what you pay for so help me out.

I guess the two most important speakers are the center and the sub. I like the looks and reviews of the Polk Speakers. I would like to keep it all the same brand if possible. The sub brand doesn't matter as much as long as sounds great.

I'm sure alot of you know exactly what i need. I don't know whether to buy a speaker package or mix and match.
post #1101 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There is no problem running 5.1 on a 7.1 receiver, when you go through the setup you either tell the Denon which speakers you have or run the auto-setup and it figures it out for you. No problem at all, just make sure to hook your surrounds up to the "SURROUND" speakers posts, not the "SURR.BACK" ones!

For speaker suggestions check out the speaker forum, "bang for the buck" is really dependent on your specific budget so do some searches for "budget speakers" or "budget 5.1", and also check out the massive "HTIB alternatives" thread.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1102 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey Peeps, i have taken the time to read all 19 pages of this thread, concious about purchasing the 1909.

Is there anything in Particular i should take on board/consider before my purchase?

For instance, i also considered the Yamaha v663 but found out it doesnt pass BTB OR WTW (I know this receiver DOES ). I also found out that the v663 wont process a 5.1 Bitstream Source to 7.1 and of course the issues with the ATI Video cards. This was all due to the FAQ at the begining of the v663 thread.

Since there is no FAQ here, can someone enlighten me to any 'Disadvantages' this AVR May have?

I am not sure which speakers i will be pairing the AVR With yet, but can confirm my components:

HTPC with a 3850 Radeon DVI-HDMI (For Games, DVD's, HDDVDs and Bluray Discs) (Using 7.1 Analogue Outs currently for Audio, but in the future using HDMI)

PS3 (Blu Ray And Games)
PS2 (Games)
SD or HD Tuner in the future

Priorities %

30 Music, 30 Games, 40 Movies

Cheers

Natalya Simonova: Do you destroy every vehicle you get into?
James Bond: Standard operating procedure. Boys with toys.
Goldeneye
post #1103 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 12:37 PM

apologies for not doing more reading i'm new to these forums. are you bacically saying the ps3 is not comptable with the avr1909?
post #1104 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 12:50 PM

No. PS3 works fine with 1909.

DaveG
post #1105 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 12:56 PM

Keiser,
I think he is basically saying read or search for your answer first! Then if you can't find the answer then post! You could have already found your answer by now.

Set PS3 to output audio as PCM, PS3 will decode the signal and send it to AVR, your true HD light on AVR will NOT light up, it will say 5 ch, but will be true HD, you can use triangle button while playing movie on PS3 to get info on your tv display as to what the audio signal PS3 is decoding and sending to AVR as PCM.
post #1106 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiser1 View Post

apologies for not doing more reading i'm new to these forums. are you bacically saying the ps3 is not comptable with the avr1909?

Don't be sorry just read more. It is explicitly stated in the PS3 manuals/faqs online on how to get the HD audio codecs (then compare that information to what the Receiver manual says the device will do with that signal). In short: You can't bitstream via optical - bandwidth is not there. You must use analog outs (PS3 doesn't have) or HDMI (does have) but it doesn't bistream them here either. You must use LPCM/PCM which means the decoding was done at the level of the PS3. If the decoding is done at the level of the reciever, then you get all the pretty lights and names. If the decoding is done elsewhere (same signal mind you), then all you see is MultiCh In. You get the same great sound, no flashy lights.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #1107 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 01:02 PM

On my 1909 after running auto setup my sub woofer is to boomy. How do I turn off auto setup and go back to manualy setting up my speakers. Can I just go into manual setup and change it. Is auto setup better than manual setup because it keeps setting my speakers to small and according to the speaker manufacturer they should be set to large.
post #1108 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOBUG View Post

On my 1909 after running auto setup my sub woofer is to boomy. How do I turn off auto setup and go back to manualy setting up my speakers. Can I just go into manual setup and change it. Is auto setup better than manual setup because it keeps setting my speakers to small and according to the speaker manufacturer they should be set to large.

First, you can't adjust an EQ for the sub, only the speakers. You can adjust sub settings but I suggest you read the Audessey thread (based on your questions of Large and Small I really suggest it). If you want to set up a manual Eq for the speakers, read the manual on doing that under the manual settings. Then go into the menu under the input you want and go to parameters/Audessey and then select manual EQ, but you should read up on what doing that will do. Mind you, EQ doesn't affect large/small, crossovers, distance, etc.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #1109 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 01:10 PM

many thanks to ghost cow and dogdoctor for this info
post #1110 of 11355 Old 08-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I gather then that this receiver has no disadvantages then?

Natalya Simonova: Do you destroy every vehicle you get into?
James Bond: Standard operating procedure. Boys with toys.
Goldeneye
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page