*Official* Denon AVR 1909/789 Thread - Page 379 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11341 of 11349 Old 08-08-2014, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. I recently re-did my basement and I am setting up my home theater. Its been awhile since I last did this and I am adding 2 more speakers so I am here to make sure I do it right.
My receiver is a Denon 1909 (obviously) and my speakers are energy RC series. I have the lcr (center) 70s (left and right front), rcr's (the sides of the room), 30's (rear)an my sub is an SVS nsd 10". My tv is an older Samsung DLP that I can't justify upgrading just yet (but soon will). I will be using a PS3 as my blue ray player and Netflix hub.
To start, I would like to know if the 1909 is capable of converting to 7.1. I read somewhere that the HDMI is passthrough only and does not convert to 7.1 unless there is a true 7.1 source or to that effect.
Secondly, is there a way I can have the volume display on the TV when using hdmi either by adding more cable or some other means... this would be nice since I can't read the receiver from my chair.
Also, any advise or things to consider before I start the Audyssey and assigning inputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11342 of 11349 Old 08-08-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 1067
1) Yes, the 1909 has Dolby PLIIx which can mix any incoming signal up to 7.1. There were some very early HDMI receivers that couldn't upmix multich PCM to 7.1 but your 1909 is fine.

2) No, the 1909 does not display any overlay graphics over HDMI like the volume bar. You could run an analog composite cable to the DLP but that would mean you'd have to switch inputs on the TV just to check the volume on the receiver.

3) In terms of other advice... I would probably do a microprocessor reset since you are starting from scratch in a new setup, then at least you have a clean slate to work with. Run Audyssey, make sure to check bass management (the RC-70's and probably the 30's will get set to LARGE) and reset everything to SMALL with a 60-80Hz crossover so the SVS sub gets the low bass.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #11343 of 11349 Old 08-08-2014, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, resetting the receiver, is a good idea. I plan to do just that and I'm sure I'll have more questions once I do
post #11344 of 11349 Old 08-18-2014, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was hoping someone here could help me, I own the ave-789 and LOVE it but today for some reason the display on the unit has been acting funny. When I turn the receiver on it display is visible and I can see everything on it but after about a minute or two the display goes dark but I still hear sound and everything else works fine. Is there a setting that might have been activated that turns the display off after a while? If so could someone tell me how to turn this feature off?

Thanks,
Steven
post #11345 of 11349 Old 08-18-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet123456 View Post
When I turn the receiver on it display is visible and I can see everything on it but after about a minute or two the display goes dark but I still hear sound and everything else works fine. Is there a setting that might have been activated that turns the display off after a while? If so could someone tell me how to turn this feature off?
Hi wallstreet123456, does it come back on for a few second if using the volume control? Its possible you enabled Pure Direct mode.
post #11346 of 11349 Old 08-19-2014, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Yes it does. I figured it out. There is a dimmer button on front of the unit and somehow it must have been pressed to turn diaplay off after a few seconds. It is now working again.

Thank you for your help.

I love this receiver.
post #11347 of 11349 Old 08-19-2014, 06:23 PM

A few weeks ago, the headphone jack on my Denon AVR-1909 stopped working; it wouldn't accept a headphone plug. Otherwise, the receiver was working fine. A little over a week ago, I took the unit into one of the two official Denon service centers in town and paid them a $100.00 bench fee to fix the jack. I'd used them once before, about two years ago, when the unit stopped working, and they'd sent it back to Denon to replace the HDMI board. Although I wasn't happy about paying nearly $300.00 for that repair, I thought the service facility handled the matter professionally and the unit was repaired well.

Yesterday, I called the facility to check on the progress of the repair. I nearly fell over when the staffperson I talked to told me the technician had diagnosed a defective HDMI board, since I'd replaced the board 2 years ago, and it was functioning just fine when I brought it in. The staffer put me on hold, then told me he'd check with the technician and get back to me with more details.

Today I got a call from the manager of the facility. He told me that the technician had replaced the jack, but when he'd powered up the unit it wouldn't "pass signal," hence the broken HDMI board. When I asked him to explain why the board had suddenly stopped working, he said he really had no explanation, although he suggested that the broken jack might have "stressed" the board. He insisted, however, that they had not broken my receiver.

He then offered to contact Denon to see if he could get them to replace the HDMI board, which has failed twice on this unit. I'm not holding out much hope for this, since the machine is about five years old, but I guess I'll wait to hear back from him before taking any action. In the meantime, I'd appreciate any advice or expertise from folks here who know more about electronics than I do. Could a broken headphone jack "stress" an HDMI board or am I being fed a load of bull?

Last edited by ochsfan; 08-19-2014 at 06:25 PM. Reason: clarification
post #11348 of 11349 Old 08-20-2014, 12:46 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
^^
Don't know although if there is no cost to you to replace the HDMI board, moot point. Personally, I would have used that $300 towards a newer networking model for not much more and would certainly not recommend investing any more money for repair of the unit.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #11349 of 11349 Old 08-20-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Don't know although if there is no cost to you to replace the HDMI board, moot point. Personally, I would have used that $300 towards a newer networking model for not much more and would certainly not recommend investing any more money for repair of the unit.
It seemed to make sense to have the HDMI board replaced two years ago, as the unit was only about 2 1/2 years old and I was already out $100.00 for the bench fee. I certainly don't plan to spend the same amount to have the HDMI board replaced a second time.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page