*Official* Denon AVR 1909/789 Thread - Page 380 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #11371 of 11381 Old 11-02-2014, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The Denon reports out to the top right of the screen. Input 5 is providing 1080i. TCMHD shows a screen that is a full as possible under letterbox or 16:1 ratio. The Sharp is set to dot by dot. Everything seems set correctly. Watched the end of Quantum of Solace but didn't get the BluRay in time to do an A/B.

This may be a dumb question but under A&E, TBS, TNT etc... I know I'm getting 1080i, do the broadcasters modify the image to something less than 16:1 but not 4:3? It just "feels" slightly different. Perhaps I'm crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11372 of 11381 Old 11-03-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Didn't I predict this a while back on this thread?
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/...gle-chromecast
post #11373 of 11381 Old 11-11-2014, 07:12 PM

Hi, I've been looking and searching this forum for a long time without finding what I'm looking for and I'm sure many of you can help me.

I have been enjoying an AVR-789 receiver for many years in our living room hooked to Bose Acoustimas 10 speakers (5.1).
When we want to listen to music while we are having dinner in the next room I usually cranked the sound so we could hear it in the dinning room.

Now, I had work to do to the walls in the dinning room so I decided to buy and install flush mount speakers and connect them to "Speaker B"
When I select "Speaker B" on the receiver, I hear the sound coming from the flush mount speakers in the dinning room but I also hear the sound from the rear speakers and the sub. (and possibly the center too..)

Is there a way to disable all the speakers in the living room when I select "Speaker B" ?

Thanks in advance.
post #11374 of 11381 Old 11-11-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral Racoon View Post
Hi, I've been looking and searching this forum for a long time without finding what I'm looking for and I'm sure many of you can help me.

I have been enjoying an AVR-789 receiver for many years in our living room hooked to Bose Acoustimas 10 speakers (5.1).
When we want to listen to music while we are having dinner in the next room I usually cranked the sound so we could hear it in the dinning room.

Now, I had work to do to the walls in the dinning room so I decided to buy and install flush mount speakers and connect them to "Speaker B"
When I select "Speaker B" on the receiver, I hear the sound coming from the flush mount speakers in the dinning room but I also hear the sound from the rear speakers and the sub. (and possibly the center too..)

Is there a way to disable all the speakers in the living room when I select "Speaker B" ?

Thanks in advance.
Since it appears that you only have a 5.1 system you can just hook the dining room up to Surround back/amp assign and use the Zone 2 feature. Then with the proper inputs you could have say the kids watching a movie in the theater while you and your spouse are having a romantic dinner. The A and B speaker selector is for when you have two sets of front speakers I.E. one set for movies and another for music. I think you can use the surround modes in the AVR to turn of the surround speakers when on B but I think Zone 2 is more what you want/need. Hopefully you still have your Zone 2 remote and don't have to beg one off of someone here like I had to to. Many folks misplaced or threw away their extra remote, mine simply did not come with it since the store I purchased mine as a demo from misplaced it (hence another discount on it). I'm sure one of the smarter folks here will explain how to use Zone 2 and also what modes to select to turn the surround off when on B and the relevant page numbers in the manual.
post #11375 of 11381 Old 11-13-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOL View Post
The Denon reports out to the top right of the screen. Input 5 is providing 1080i. TCMHD shows a screen that is a full as possible under letterbox or 16:1 ratio. The Sharp is set to dot by dot. Everything seems set correctly. Watched the end of Quantum of Solace but didn't get the BluRay in time to do an A/B.

This may be a dumb question but under A&E, TBS, TNT etc... I know I'm getting 1080i, do the broadcasters modify the image to something less than 16:1 but not 4:3? It just "feels" slightly different. Perhaps I'm crazy.
If you are playing with the A 2 D options in the display section then you are going to just have to mess with it. I don't recall much being documented anywhere about the oddness I have seen. The options are not very intuitive and seem to have functions opposite than what my mind thinks (maybe it is that backwards reading the Japanese do). Anyhow I have also gotten strange results with my olden DIrectTV Tivo box which I keep around since it still has content on it I never got around to watching (but all of it is available elseware in better quality now, I use it mostly as a menu/note on what it was that I need to watch). Anyhow, when I actually do watch a D-VHS movie these days I normally opt for the component input since I can scale it to full 1080p and can't on the HDMI input. Also I get a lot more blank screens while HDMI is switching and handshaking with the olden almost pre-1st rev. HDMI that JVC implemented in the last 2 D-VHS VCRs they released (I can't even get audio to work with most TVs and AVRs with that and have to use optical for the digital audio. Odd since my cheep TVs in the house work but not the more expensive ones). When I do that I get odd results, but different than the Tivo hooked to S/VID. All of the oddness is related to aspect ratio doing weird things.

Recently I also noticed that several channels on Comcast are being sent 16:9 rather than 4:3 on the analog feeds/channels. Some of them are even in DD5.1 and the image is almost as good as the HD channel. Most of these are local PBS and other channels that care about image and sound quality. However there are a few cable and movie channels that do this as well. I notice since I'm a purest and prefer to watch 4:3 content in 4:3 if possible so when I am surfing channels like I do every couple months in search of new content it kinda jumps out at you when I channel fills the screen and is analog. The DD5.1 think does not surprise me since many of the premium and movie channels have had DD5.1 for eons of time now.
post #11376 of 11381 Old 11-13-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked: 1564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral Racoon View Post

Speaker A/B switching just swaps which speakers are playing the front stereo signal. It doesn't relate to the surround mode -- if you are listening to a 5.1 signal the rest of the 5.1 signal will still be reproduced by the other speakers (as you have found).

So if you want to use the "B" speakers without the other speakers firing, you would need to manually change to STEREO surround mode so only those two channels are active on output.

Alternately, the best solution is that suggested above, to make them a true "Zone 2" output vs. "B" speakers. http://batpigworld.com/wp/?p=160
gpzbc likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #11377 of 11381 Old 11-13-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Bat... thanks for clarifying about "stereo" mode. I had forgotten that one mode turns off the surround speakers. I think "direct" should do it as well, correct, though the effect on A/B is unknown by me since my "B" speakers are still in their boxes (maybe a project for the holidays, I've only had them for over 2-years now, so no reason to hurry with the install ;-)
post #11378 of 11381 Old 11-14-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
So if you want to use the "B" speakers without the other speakers firing, you would need to manually change to STEREO surround mode so only those two channels are active on output.

Alternately, the best solution is that suggested above, to make them a true "Zone 2" output vs. "B" speakers.
If I read your guide correctly, even if I want to use the Zone 2 option with my dinning room speakers connected to the "back surround/amp assign" posts, I think I can't because my sound source is my Apple TV which don't have analog outputs...

So my best bet would be to select STEREO surround mode manually when switching to Speaker B...

I'm using a Logitech Harmony One remote, I guess I could program it to do so.
post #11379 of 11381 Old 11-19-2014, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've had my 1909 set up for several years. I want to get back into the OSD to look at some things but I can't seem to get it to work. I'm pressing the A.Menu button on the rear of the remote. I've tried two different hdmi sources. Since it's been so long I am probably missing something obvious.
post #11380 of 11381 Old 11-19-2014, 12:29 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked: 1714
^^
Try pressing the MENU button on the front panel.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #11381 of 11381 Old 11-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Try pressing the MENU button on the front panel.
Thanks. I did that and it worked. Kept messing with the remote and finally it started responding. Not sure what the deal was?????
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver