*Official* Denon AVR 1909/789 Thread - Page 383 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #11461 of 11461 Unread Today, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Hi friends. Before I try this I thought I would ask. Recently got back into vinyl and have collected quite a few SQ Quad albums. I still have a Radio Shack quad decoder from back in the day. I have read in some of the quad forums that it is possible to create a decoder loop using the Multi-channel inputs? I have my pre-amps connected to the front panel V.Aux input (common cable that I switch from my Pro-Ject Tube Box S and my Audioengine D1. I also have a ADC that I use to feed the D1 since it has no analog inputs-only USB and Toslink digital. That used to be the default until I got my Bravo Audi V3 tube headphone amp, now I have to switch the cable back and forth). So can I take the tape loop out (if this guy has one) and feed it into the decoder 2-channel input and then feed it's 4-channel output into the multi-channel ins? Seems I could then set the input mode to Ext.In? However that's going to cut off the analog in of V.aux? I don't want to bother hooking everything up if it isn't going to work. I know some AVRs have processing loops in them just for this purpose. Anyhow, if I did get it to work my bet is that Audessey won't be active (for MultiEQ or Dynamic Volume) and I will be relegated to only the speakers of the 4-channels input. As I recall there is no processing of the EXT.in multi-channel input?

I'm getting some satisfying results with DD PLIIx cinema and some odd results with music mode. First material I have actually been able to hear a difference between DD PLII and DTS NEO:6 (both cinema and music sub modes). Some recordings sound better with variations of those. Also get some interesting effects with DSP Matrix mode. I only have SQ recordings at the moment. My understanding is the QS recordings are almost spot on with the decoding but that with SQ it is only an approximation due to differences in the encoding and decoding.

Listening to I'd Love to Change the World by Ten Years After and there is defiantly a multi-channel effect, but I don't know if it is decoding as the producers intended. It's for sure more of an effect than you get with normal non-encoded 2-channel recordings run through DD PLII.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm attempting to recreate the quad sound experience that I was able to create in my youth with a couple integrated amps and a couple sets of speakers. I remember listening to Switched on Bach back in the day and it was really spacey. I've seen plenty of copies of the stereo version in the used shops, but have yet to find a quad one. If I remember right most of the remasters of the Floyd albums are encoded for quad and if I remember right updated for decoding with DD PLII. And I think the big expensive box sets I have that they have released so far also include quad mixes on the DVD/BD? So maybe I should just download the rips of those? I am guessing that stereo rips/dubs of the original LPs exist out there somewhere?
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page