*Official* Denon AVR 1909/789 Thread - Page 384 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

Old 08-16-2016, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3612 Post(s)
Liked: 3462
Basically anything listed in the 2015 thread or the 2016 thread will support 4K / HDCP 2.2 / HDMI 2.0a.

So last year's entry models would be S710W, S910W, X1100W, X2200W, and the new lineup is S720W, S920W, X1200W, X2200W....

Read through the first few posts of the 2015 and 2016 threads where JD and I summarize what's new, what's changed, etc. and you'll get a basic idea.

Note that for the 2016 entry-level models, very little has changed so at that price point IMO you should be targeting a good deal on a 2015 model.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AVR 1919 sound drop-out

I'm having an odd issue with my 1909 that I have not been able to figure out. My setup is Cable Box (xfinity, Motorola RNG200N) - HDMI - AVR1909 - HDMI - Panasonic Plasma TV (as a monitor).

There are a few channels where this happens, mostly the legacy network channels, NBC, etc. I happened last night during the Golden Globes. The sound is fine and regular, it's showing that it's getting Dolby Digital in, and it's sending 5.1 to my speakers. Then, when there is a change, like from the announcement portion of the Golden Globes, to a part where they are doing some sort of musical skit, or showing clips from a movie, the sound level drops off a cliff, and if I turn the volume way up, I can hear it only coming from the surround speakers. If I switch the output to Stereo, the sound comes back, but of course only through the L+R front speakers. It happens for many commercials as well.

I have tried changing configurations all over the place turning compression off and on, trying to adjust settings on the cable box, etc. My running theory is that the 1909 is missing some modern codec that is necessary to handle the new data stream coming in from xFinity. One thing I haven't done is with the Audyssey EQ / Dynamic volume settings, maybe it's a feature that's meant to mute commercials?

Any ideas?
Old 01-09-2017, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecacti View Post
I'm having an odd issue with my 1909 that I have not been able to figure out. My setup is Cable Box (xfinity, Motorola RNG200N) - HDMI - AVR1909 - HDMI - Panasonic Plasma TV (as a monitor).

There are a few channels where this happens, mostly the legacy network channels, NBC, etc. I happened last night during the Golden Globes. The sound is fine and regular, it's showing that it's getting Dolby Digital in, and it's sending 5.1 to my speakers. Then, when there is a change, like from the announcement portion of the Golden Globes, to a part where they are doing some sort of musical skit, or showing clips from a movie, the sound level drops off a cliff, and if I turn the volume way up, I can hear it only coming from the surround speakers. If I switch the output to Stereo, the sound comes back, but of course only through the L+R front speakers. It happens for many commercials as well.

I have tried changing configurations all over the place turning compression off and on, trying to adjust settings on the cable box, etc. My running theory is that the 1909 is missing some modern codec that is necessary to handle the new data stream coming in from xFinity. One thing I haven't done is with the Audyssey EQ / Dynamic volume settings, maybe it's a feature that's meant to mute commercials?

Any ideas?
This sounds like either a cable box or local Comcast service area issue. Your setup is essentially the same as mine except I have a Sammy 50" DLP (funny that the boss has a Panny plasma on her AVRless system in the Great Room). Anyhow you will want to check the cable box audio options. Right when you turn the box off with the remote press the menu button and the set-up screen should launch. You should have audio set pass thru if I remember right. I think PCM is an option and might be causing you issues (or vice versa). There are also options for audio in the Box online set-up that you can mess with, but in theory those should only affect analog out (but I have had them affect HDMI audio at times). You might also want to try hooking it up with analog outs and see if that improves things. Note that there is a special setting in the box/DVR menus to optimize the audio for AVR use. You want Matrix output with the level set at optimum (there is a setting for that).

Also what service area are you in? I'm in the SLC Utah area and haven't experienced issues like this other than back in the day when Letterman was broadcast in Stereo only with the other channels blanked out rather than sending a true DD 2.0 signal causing the other channels to do nothing. In those days I had to switch to analog to get the DD matrixing to work. I suspect as similar thing might be happening in your area on local channels and they have the audio messed up (I have seen this from time to time, esp. when a local channel sends their signal to Comcast on a fiber/IP connection. Apparently it's not that easy to set-up and very easy to get mis-configured. Our local ABC feed and occasionally FOX (owned but the same company) is often messed up for both video (odd different colored artifacts on edges of screens and horrible sounding audio with surround and background music drowning out the dialogue almost like things were matrixed, de-matrixed and then clobbered together somehow, only way I can describe it)).

If the globes are still OnDemand I will try them over the weekend when I return from a business trip and let you know if I have any issues like you describe.

Have you tried the optical output from DVR to AVR?

Last edited by mr.kludge; 01-09-2017 at 10:21 AM.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:46 AM

Troubleshooting... continues

Thanks for the reply! Right now I have both HDMI and Optical connecting things. I did just try to access the "secret" menu on the cable box and set the audio to passthrough. There was another Dolby setting in there that didn't seem to have any effect. I noticed that the one channel where this can be reproduced constantly is the local fox affiliate, comcast labels it as "D" for the audio, and the adjacent channels are "D5.1".

So, do the producers of this content sometimes change from Dolby 2-channel to 5.1 in the middle of their broadcast? I also noticed that I can't hear the officials when they make a call during football games.

I'll try the "matrix" setting in the cable box setup.

Is it at all possible that I have an older HDMI cable that is causing the problem?
Old 01-09-2017, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! Right now I have both HDMI and Optical connecting things. I did just try to access the "secret" menu on the cable box and set the audio to passthrough. There was another Dolby setting in there that didn't seem to have any effect. I noticed that the one channel where this can be reproduced constantly is the local fox affiliate, comcast labels it as "D" for the audio, and the adjacent channels are "D5.1".

So, do the producers of this content sometimes change from Dolby 2-channel to 5.1 in the middle of their broadcast? I also noticed that I can't hear the officials when they make a call during football games.

I'll try the "matrix" setting in the cable box setup.

Is it at all possible that I have an older HDMI cable that is causing the problem?
I'm not sure but having both optical and HDMI hooked up at the same time might be problematic depending on the AVR settings. If set to auto it might get confused based on signal. If you have it pegged at an input type it should not be a problem. I have some connections that are like that (different items on same input) and haven't had issues.

Often channels will change back and forth from 2.0 to 5.1 esp. during commercial breaks and for sure when Comcast "injects" ads into the stream if that ad is SD rather than HD and even sometimes with HD. I assume that given circumstances that this could also happen anytime during a program. but should be rare and would be rather annoying.

I seriously doubt that this is caused by a cable, but worth a try swapping them out. I use cheep (as in price) Monoprice HDMI cables and have never ran into a bad one, yet. Plenty of optical cables have gone out and when setting up my system last time I stepped on a coax that I was using for the sub and destroyed it by tearing one of the connectors off (that was a cheepie Philips one from Wallymart).

Sounds like set-up issues with your local affiliates. I wonder if there is something common between ABC/FOX in some areas. Maybe the nerds that do ours are doing yours also. Our PQ and SQ have been really decent for some time now, but once in a while it goes wonky.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:17 AM

Thanks

I really appreciate your help! I do really like this receiver, my wife is like, just get a new one, but I know that's an even bigger project than figuring this out, lol.

So I found a solution that seems like it will work, and maybe I didn't really understand the surround features on this AVR. If I leave it on "5-channel stereo", then all the channels sound good and there's not much difference in volume levels as I surf around. I left the Optical cable unplugged for now and turned it off in the Input assign, I don't think I'll actually get any better sound with it. Maybe I'll plug it into my Blue Ray and go for that nice blue light

My question is this: Does that "5-channel stereo" setting preserve the surround info of a 5.1 signal, and just fills in the blanks when it's a Stereo input? I just want the best signals to be delivered virgin to my ears

Thanks again!
Old 01-09-2017, 11:34 AM

Grar but I really don't like that solution. It's definitely what you are talking about though, signals from those channels are donked up, it's like they are sending just L and R over 5.1.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I really appreciate your help! I do really like this receiver, my wife is like, just get a new one, but I know that's an even bigger project than figuring this out, lol.

So I found a solution that seems like it will work, and maybe I didn't really understand the surround features on this AVR. If I leave it on "5-channel stereo", then all the channels sound good and there's not much difference in volume levels as I surf around. I left the Optical cable unplugged for now and turned it off in the Input assign, I don't think I'll actually get any better sound with it. Maybe I'll plug it into my Blue Ray and go for that nice blue light

My question is this: Does that "5-channel stereo" setting preserve the surround info of a 5.1 signal, and just fills in the blanks when it's a Stereo input? I just want the best signals to be delivered virgin to my ears

Thanks again!
5-channel stereo simply takes the front R/L input and repeats in the surrounds and creates the center from the common I.E. mono components in the front R/L. All other inputs are ignored. This is not going to give you "surround" sound as intended. A better solution would be to rely on analog audio for those problematic channels. What I have done is program a direct to analog button on my Harmony remote. I then use the audio mode function to get back to digital audio when needed. I forget what the function is actually called and labeled on the remote.

Also I assumed you have a moto MOCA RNG200 I.E. DCX3501M or similar cable box. If it is something else audio results may vary. The two options on mine are L-PCM or pass thru. Passthru is what you want for normal use, but you may find L-PCM helps with the problematic channels. I would think to have the results you have seen (heard) that it would have to be set to pass thru. In theory L-PCM should decode and send 5.1 channels of PCM to the AVR, but in my experience with these boxes that just causes then to output 2-channel stereo PCM (sometimes matrixed, sometimes not). It probably depends on the capabilities of the HDMI string of devices, what they are capable of and handshake.

Another option you can try is to connect the DVR directly to the TV with HDMI and then run an optical cable from the TV to the AVR. Sound quality is the same and many have to do this due to various incompatibilities with AVRs (esp. older ones) and various set-top-boxes. This set-up may or may not iron out some of the issues you are seeing.

Last edited by mr.kludge; 01-09-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Grar but I really don't like that solution. It's definitely what you are talking about though, signals from those channels are donked up, it's like they are sending just L and R over 5.1.
Yup, happens all the time on cable systems. Probably not as much with DTV and Dish? What is most likely happening is that they are switching to 2-channel, sometimes to the wrong outputs in the matrix and sending a 5.1 signal with all the other channels blanked out with no input. The acid test will be to try your BD player and then some premium channels like HBO and Showtime. You should have little audio issues with either of those. You will however notice that they will often be in 2-channel during in-between show ad (for their content) and then back into 5.1 once a program or movie starts. If you don't subscribe to premium content then AMC, would be one to try. They seem to have few audio issues, though our system seems to have a hard time with dropouts at times. I have ran into audio issues with most of the others esp. Disney owned channels and ironically SyFy and USA which I believe are both owned by Comcast/NBC/Universal. These issues are rare and usually on the SD flavor of the channel and not the HD/DD5.1 channel. Also beware of testing with OnDemand. Many channels esp. TNT/TBS only have 2-channel there where the broadcast (if you can call it that) will be in 5.1.

If everything is working ok with BD and cable on AMC/premium then the problem has to be the local channels and their various methods of feeding to Comcast.

Also you should get the mic and a tripod out and do the set-up for dynamic EQ and volume. It makes a vast improvement. I often use the midnight setting since the boss goes to bed early and that setting smooths out (compresses) the sound and also tames the sub so it doesn't keep her awake. Depending on how you are currently set up some of the issues you describe could be worsened by incomplete/improper set-up. On the other hand very odd audio can and will trip up the dynamic volume function since it amplifies the surround channels in some settings much like a loudness function does.

Also has your 1909 had all the various firmware updates performed. It has to be sent/taken into a shop/factory for that and if you have boomy bass with DD5.1 yours could be affected. I forget all the fixes but by the time I took mine in years ago there were several improvements. I didn't see much change but there was a vast improvement in DD bass audio as before it was very exaggerated.

Last edited by mr.kludge; 01-09-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:54 AM

passthrough

Confirmed that I have that very comcast box, the MOCA RNG200. I tried the L-PCM setting, and just as you said, it just output 2-channel PCM, even for the channels that previously received 5.1 when it was set to passthrough. It did make the sound even between channels, but of course I would lose all those discrete audio signals if I left it on L-PCM. So I turned it back to passthrough.

I will re-do the Audyssey config tonight. I live on a main road in the city, and it's just too loud. It does occur to me that the last time I did the Audyssey setup I did a half-ass job and I recall being concerned about the truck / traffic noise. It's much quieter in the evening.

All of the other sources are great, DVD and Blueray is working fine, and the sound from my AppleTV is wonderful. It's really just those few channels, commercials in some instances, referees on football games (but only on the networks, not ESPN), and when they go to a musical number on various programs (like Saturday Night Live).
Old 01-11-2017, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Confirmed that I have that very comcast box, the MOCA RNG200. I tried the L-PCM setting, and just as you said, it just output 2-channel PCM, even for the channels that previously received 5.1 when it was set to passthrough. It did make the sound even between channels, but of course I would lose all those discrete audio signals if I left it on L-PCM. So I turned it back to passthrough.

I will re-do the Audyssey config tonight. I live on a main road in the city, and it's just too loud. It does occur to me that the last time I did the Audyssey setup I did a half-ass job and I recall being concerned about the truck / traffic noise. It's much quieter in the evening.

All of the other sources are great, DVD and Blueray is working fine, and the sound from my AppleTV is wonderful. It's really just those few channels, commercials in some instances, referees on football games (but only on the networks, not ESPN), and when they go to a musical number on various programs (like Saturday Night Live).
L-PCM should preserve much of the surround content. You would just be using DD PLII(+) instead of discrete DD5.1. Not optimal but serviceable.

Sounds like your local cable system has lots of issues and is in need of a good sound engineer. If I lived there I would bug them to no end until they resolved all the issues. I have done that to some extent in my area. Fortunately there have been few major sound issues over the years and just a few more video issues. Biggest issues I have heard was channels being in mono on SD where the OtA were stereo and at one point the SD channel for Disney was way messed up with unbalanced almost single channel output that put the processors into a tail spin.

If it keeps up your best bet is still to run an analog stereo connection to the AVR and switch into analog mode when on those troublesome channels. Or if you don't mind the bother switching to L-PCM for those. I know how to directly address the resolution on those boxes with a remote, but don't think there is a way to quickly get it to switch audio modes. They usually have bugs that make them loose audio and video settings randomly at inconvenient times depending on firmware release. These days they are not updating those boxes in favor of X1 so they should be somewhat static.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:36 AM

Welp, before I could get a chance, I think one of the amps failed. Red flashy light, and when I hard restart it, it will work for a second or two, then some clicking sounds from the speakers, and then a pop and it powers down with a red flashy power button... I may try to repair, but in the meantime I'll be researching replacements!
Old 01-12-2017, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Welp, before I could get a chance, I think one of the amps failed. Red flashy light, and when I hard restart it, it will work for a second or two, then some clicking sounds from the speakers, and then a pop and it powers down with a red flashy power button... I may try to repair, but in the meantime I'll be researching replacements!
It's a great time to upgrade your receiver! There are some killer deals to be had on last year's models that have all the updated HDMI and decoding specs. Check accessories 4 less for starters as last year's models come in and out of stock.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Before you panic check you speaker cables and connections for any shorts including stray strands of copper at the back of the AVR and speakers. Worth a try, but as you say it might be toast (if you repair inspect for cold solder joints and or bridges on the power and power IC sections).
Old 01-12-2017, 09:42 AM

OK, I'll do some tests... Real quick question about a possible replacement:

My Speakers are all pretty small, this is a small-ish room with high ceilings, about 10 feet from the TV to the couch:

L/R - Athena as-b1-1 Bookshelf Speakers - 125 max , 8 ohms

Rear Surround - Polk rm7 - 100 max, rated 20?, 8 ohms

Sub - Yamaha yst sw215 - has it's own amp

Center - Kenwood crs-12 - 40 max, rated 20

Is this receiver enough to power that system: AVR-X1300W?
Old 01-12-2017, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

My Speakers are all pretty small, this is a small-ish room with high ceilings, about 10 feet from the TV to the couch:

More than adequate since you are using a powered sub and most sound energy is consumed by the lower frequency bands. Basically the same specs as the 1909/789 (though it might be 85 or 90 watts?). You will not notice a difference. BTW - you have the exact same sub as I used to use (currently in storage but considering either moving it to work to replace a Yammy SW1-the very first powered sub, or more likely using it in my stereo only room I am planning).

One recommendation. I would strongly recommend that you invest in a much better center channel. You need one that is more full bandwidth. Something that goes down as close to 20hz is best, but I have found if it's flat to say 50hz you will get good results. Yours does not handle much power, which now does not matter since I bet the xover is getting set at 100hz or even higher with that tiny driver. With EQ you might be way overdriving it depending on x-over setting.

After trying a bunch of centers (I have issues with blocking the IR port on my TV due to my setup and I was too cheep and lazy to implement an IR blaster-I now have one that I picked up on clearance at one point) I settled on the Mirage (the one that has the tweet that is higher above the mid and angles toward the listeners ears). Before that I had a Bose, which was ok, but...and before that a cheep Polk in the same class as your Kenwood.

You should be spending more on your center and sub than any of your other speakers. You might also consider a better sub. The Yammy is ok but I noticed a vast difference between it and the DefTech 10" I now have. The center is your workhorse. More audio content will be sent to that speaker than any other esp. if you watch lots of TV like I do. Second is the sub. Not so much with TV but LFE is pretty extreme on most movies these days. You mentioned that you are on a noisy road, so that is going to add to the issue. I don't think you need more power, just better speakers. I always choose efficiency over accuracy for HT speakers since all the auto-set-up will compensate for that. It's not hard to build a reasonably accurate speaker these days for use a typical room. For stereo only however that is a completely different story. Less efficient,more accurate, able to handle copious amounts of power to allow for less processing, noise etc. and give the speakers plenty (overkill is a good philosophy) of power to be able to handle the transits and dynamic range of all types of music listening.

Last edited by mr.kludge; 01-12-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I forgot to mention that you might consider the 2300 rather since with the deals now you may find that it isn't that much more and maybe better selection since the lower end less expensive models tend to sell out quicker than the others. The 2300 is probably a better direct replacement for your 1909/789 since it's high voltage section is more akin to the 1909. Either one should work fine.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:44 AM

feedback

Awesome, thanks! I chose the X1300, it was available for a good price, I'll have it tomorrow. As for the center channel, agreed. My buddy who knows something about all this basically gave me this one about 10 years ago, lol. So I looked at Mirage, they are out of business / slurped up. Recommend me something similar?
Old 01-12-2017, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Awesome, thanks! I chose the X1300, it was available for a good price, I'll have it tomorrow. As for the center channel, agreed. My buddy who knows something about all this basically gave me this one about 10 years ago, lol. So I looked at Mirage, they are out of business / slurped up. Recommend me something similar?
I forgot to mention that I did audition (through Crutchfield- where all my other centers came from) a DefTech. They have a few different ones. I chose the lowest profile one. It was somewhat better with bass, but was a tad too tall for my setup. If I remember right it obscured part of my screen? Anyhow it was very nice but I found it a little bright for my tastes even with the eq applied. I wondered why Crutchfiled want't selling Mirage anymore. Check Amazon and eBay I bet there are new/open box or pre-owned out there available. It's one of the best speakers I have ever owned and entertained the thought of upgrading my fronts and maybe side surrounds to their speakers. Polk has some good stuff. I used to be a big infinity fan but not now with the Harmon whatever conglomerate. If you have the bucks B&W makes fantastic speakers. Still my no worries go to speaker company is Boston. I don't think Crutchfiled sells them? These days all my electronic toys are purchased with Discover Cash Back there. My rear surrounds are tiny Bostons from several years ago and are fantastic speakers. I picked them up at a buddy shop with some stands used/showroom models a few years ago when I built my current system/man cave/HT.

I am also a big Klipsh fan. Their speakers are always very efficient and easy to drive, but they can also be a bit harsh in the mis and highs.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mirage is still in business. Just visited their web site. Maybe distribution is an issue. I have the OC3-CC. Was $340ish one I picked it up but it and the sub only ran me $13.31 after Discover cash back, perks, SnD and or open box discounts and online codes etc. I remember them just swapping the DefTech straight across for the Mirage. I can't remember which was outlet stock. Crutchfileds outlet stock is as good or better in some cases than sealed up new. The DefTech I had was the Mythos-7 I think it is one of those designed for any position?

Oh and don't buy into all that voice matching everything from the same company crap. As long as the pairs are the same and you have a decent sub and center Audessey tames even the worst set-up and selection of speakers. My system sounds much better then even the Cinemark down the street. Not as much bass but...
Old 02-08-2017, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
lost sound with dvd

Weird problem. Last week a played a dvd and got poor sound. The amp said it was playing in Direct mode. I tried to fix it today and now I have no sound at all. Help please.

Nevermind -I tried a new HDMI cable from the DVD played and got my sound back.

Rondog

Last edited by Rondog32837; 02-08-2017 at 12:28 PM. Reason: fised it
Old 03-14-2017, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a Denon 789 and am trying to figure out what to set the crossover frequency for my speakers. I have Klipsch RB 25's for the fronts and an RC 25 for the center. The specs on the RC 25 references a Crossover Frequency 2250Hz, 250Hz and a Frequency Response of 69 - 20000 Hz.
The RB 25 shows 2670hz crossover frequency and a Frequency Response of 49 - 20000 Hz.

I am looking to set the crossover # on the denon but the #'s given (unless I lop off 2 zeros) don't seem to match up to the range offered in the receiver (20-250HZ).

What do I set these at?
Old 03-15-2017, 12:13 AM

Chromecast Ultra attached to Denon1909

Hi,
Sorry if this is an inappropriate way of asking this question...but I cannot see how to start a new thread on the forum.

I have purchased a Chromecast Ultra to replace the first generation Chromecast that I have used on my Denon 1909 (projector output) for a long while. I purchased the Ultra mainly to upgrade.

However despite attaching the ultra in the same HDMI port with the same input assignations as the old Chromecast (which will work fine with that configuration) the ultra will not fire up. It gives a blank screen.

I've contacted Chromecast and spoke for ages to someone in the Phillipines or somewhere, without success. Apart from wanting me to go through all the troubleshooting steps I've tried numerous times, the best they could come up with was "The HDMI port must be HDCP". The Denon 1909 is HDCP compatible.

I tried the Ultra in a standalone TV ...and it works.

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 03-15-2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo2907 View Post
Hi,
Sorry if this is an inappropriate way of asking this question...but I cannot see how to start a new thread on the forum.

I have purchased a Chromecast Ultra to replace the first generation Chromecast that I have used on my Denon 1909 (projector output) for a long while. I purchased the Ultra mainly to upgrade.

However despite attaching the ultra in the same HDMI port with the same input assignations as the old Chromecast (which will work fine with that configuration) the ultra will not fire up. It gives a blank screen.

I've contacted Chromecast and spoke for ages to someone in the Phillipines or somewhere, without success. Apart from wanting me to go through all the troubleshooting steps I've tried numerous times, the best they could come up with was "The HDMI port must be HDCP". The Denon 1909 is HDCP compatible.

Anyone got any ideas?
Hi again,
Have now discovered that a 2nd Generation Chromecast (which we had elsewhere in the house) works on HDMI3 but not HDMI2.

However The Ultra does not work on HDMI3 or 2 or 1.

So its something to do with the HDMI ports on the Denon1909. Might be time to upgrade the Denon after a lot of (confusing) years with it.

Thanks anyway folks.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12842 Post(s)
Liked: 5905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo2907 View Post
Hi,

Anyone got any ideas?
The 1909 is a lower HDCP version, not to mention is unable to pass 4k video. Time to upgrade to a 2015 or newer model.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:31 AM

Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12842 Post(s)
Liked: 5905
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhendric View Post
I have a Denon 789 and am trying to figure out what to set the crossover frequency for my speakers. I have Klipsch RB 25's for the fronts and an RC 25 for the center. The specs on the RC 25 references a Crossover Frequency 2250Hz, 250Hz and a Frequency Response of 69 - 20000 Hz.
The RB 25 shows 2670hz crossover frequency and a Frequency Response of 49 - 20000 Hz.

I am looking to set the crossover # on the denon but the #'s given (unless I lop off 2 zeros) don't seem to match up to the range offered in the receiver (20-250HZ).

What do I set these at?
The crossover frequency setting on the AVR refers to what frequencies get crossed over to the subwoofer. Do you have a dedicated subwoofer? If yes, the speakers should be reset to SMALL/80Hz after first running Audyssey.
Old Today, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HDMI board repair

Hello,

Don't know if someone's still interested in it, but few notes from me after a successful AVR 1909 HDMI board repair:

In my case it was HDMI switch IC SIL9185 (IC1002). Found out by checking 1.8V rail that goes to that chip, it was shorted. 1.8V regulator (SE111751, IC1001 on board) was fine, provided 1.8V after removing 9185 IC. Ordered SIL9185A since it was cheaper here at local store, i believe they are just different revisions and should be compatible with each other.
BTW, before replacing chip, i tried to "bypass" it by removing chip and soldering input-output pins together. I had video from HDMI, but no audio. Looked at the schematics and i believe sub-cpu doesn't turn on DSP processor when it doesn't detect signal from SIL9185 chip, so IC has to be replaced anyway

More thoughts about whole HDMI board schematics and what could cause these common problems:

Onkyo receivers (like TX SR606 & SR607) have very similar hdmi board architecture (SIL9185 and SIL9135 chips on input side), but around 1.8V regulators and 3.3V input rails they have electrolytic capacitors which tend to dry out and fail over time. There are many repair guides around (just google it, i can't post links since i don't have 5 posts) . Denon has ceramic smd capacitors there, so voltage regulators themselves or ICs they supply could fail there more often, not caps themselves.

Digging deeper to what could cause HDMI input side problems i guess it's +5V from crappy, non-grounded input devices. Newer devices have DSP problems more often due to overheating, but that's another story i guess.

Hope this helps someone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver