*Official* Denon AVR 1909/789 Thread - Page 385 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #11521 of 11526 Old 05-19-2017, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. It was indeed the source feed being 2 channel, the pioneer was somehow expanding to all four speakers based on the mode. However i got around it by connecting all four speakers into the front L/R and they all have sound now. The second issue worked as well once I made the changes as you explained. The only thing I need to figure out that I can get audio and video now out of the TV once the receiver is off but does not do that for my Apple TV, which I am not too worried about. When I turn the receiver off the input defaults back to the TV from Apple TV...
If you want true surround sound you should be connecting your speakers properly to the correct outputs, making sure your source is configured correctly and that the AVR is in the correct sound mode. You should have been simply able to select one f the Cinema modes from the remote. Dolby Digital PLII should have done the trick. To each his own.

Is your Apple TV connected HDMI? If it is not you will not be able to use it as a pass-thru HDMI source. The analog/digital conversion to HDMI does not function with the AVR off. It should revert to the last used and selected HDMI input. In my case I always sent a signal from the Harmony to set it to TV/CBL input when I turned everything off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11522 of 11526 Old 05-19-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
If you want true surround sound you should be connecting your speakers properly to the correct outputs, making sure your source is configured correctly and that the AVR is in the correct sound mode. You should have been simply able to select one f the Cinema modes from the remote. Dolby Digital PLII should have done the trick. To each his own.

Is your Apple TV connected HDMI? If it is not you will not be able to use it as a pass-thru HDMI source. The analog/digital conversion to HDMI does not function with the AVR off. It should revert to the last used and selected HDMI input. In my case I always sent a signal from the Harmony to set it to TV/CBL input when I turned everything off.
I will try and look at the source as well but its a Dish Hopper Joey so doubt there any options to change anything. I don't think that even in the Pioneer I was getting true surround sound. The Apple TV is connected via HDMI just like the DVR
post #11523 of 11526 Old 05-20-2017, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will try and look at the source as well but its a Dish Hopper Joey so doubt there any options to change anything. I don't think that even in the Pioneer I was getting true surround sound. The Apple TV is connected via HDMI just like the DVR
Set your Joey to Dolby Digital Pass-thru mode using the settings/audio menu. Home/Settings/Audio/Dolby Digital Pass-thru/on. Otherwise it will default to 2-channel PCM which is your issue. You will want to do the same with your Apple TV. I know there is a setting in there somewhere for the same thing. You have to do something similar with Rokus also.

I have forgot but there may be a default source option for the power control pass-thru but I thought the 1909/789 was relegated to the last source. It may be that HDMI control etc. is on in the Joey or if it remains on it may cause the AVR to switch to that input since it is the only thing on at the time? There are notes in the manual about not configuring things a certain way which when you read it makes no sense at all. You can search this forum for banter about this feature. Being able to use the HDMI pass-thru while off is a side effect/added benefit to the option and I don't think Denon intended it to function the way it does. It is supposed to be able to let you turn components on/off, switch input and control volume from the TV remote which back in those olden days of HDMI only worked if the stars were alined in a certain way.

post #11524 of 11526 Old 05-20-2017, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On last note. There is plenty of info about the HDMI pass-thru mode in the first part of this thread and references to some detail. A couple posts verify that the 1909 will default to the last used input before put in stand-by so if it is switching to the Joey every time you switch it off then either it or something else in your HDMI chain is causing this. I always turn off all the HDMI CEC stuff off since I use a Harmony remote. You might want to try powering off the Joey before switching to Apple TV and turning it off to test. Many DVRs remain on even though they appear to be off so that could be keeping the connection alive and causing it to switch?
post #11525 of 11526 Old 05-21-2017, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
Set your Joey to Dolby Digital Pass-thru mode using the settings/audio menu. Home/Settings/Audio/Dolby Digital Pass-thru/on. Otherwise it will default to 2-channel PCM which is your issue. You will want to do the same with your Apple TV. I know there is a setting in there somewhere for the same thing. You have to do something similar with Rokus also.

I have forgot but there may be a default source option for the power control pass-thru but I thought the 1909/789 was relegated to the last source. It may be that HDMI control etc. is on in the Joey or if it remains on it may cause the AVR to switch to that input since it is the only thing on at the time? There are notes in the manual about not configuring things a certain way which when you read it makes no sense at all. You can search this forum for banter about this feature. Being able to use the HDMI pass-thru while off is a side effect/added benefit to the option and I don't think Denon intended it to function the way it does. It is supposed to be able to let you turn components on/off, switch input and control volume from the TV remote which back in those olden days of HDMI only worked if the stars were alined in a certain way.
Just got back home and checked the setting s on the Joey and they are set for Dolby Digital/PCM and second option is PCM only. Will continue to play around with it and the settings
post #11526 of 11526 Old 05-23-2017, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just got back home and checked the setting s on the Joey and they are set for Dolby Digital/PCM and second option is PCM only. Will continue to play around with it and the settings
That is odd. According to the Dish tutorial info there should be a Dolby-Digital pass-thru option. The option you mention should be decoding the Dolby and stuffing it into the respective PCM channels. PCM only should give you only 2 channels. Not all channels are broadcast in 5.1 and it's been a long time since I have had Dish and not as long but still a long time since I had DTV and I never had HDMI, HD and the like back then, just hobbled together basic connections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page