*Official* Denon AVR 1909/789 Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 11355 Old 07-24-2008, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When you connect the receiver (HDMI monitor out) to your LCD and then go into the "A.Menu" use the buttons on the reverse side of the remote... do you see anything on the LCD?
If you do then your PS3 input might not be selected correctly in the "Input Assign" setup of the receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagyg View Post

I have a Hannspree 22"/HF229H Lcd Monitor. It worked without any problems when connected directly to the PS3 or the SA8300 via HDMI (it is HDCP compliant). When I go throught the 1909 I get a NO VIDEO SIGNAL msg.

Does anybody have an idea what's wrong?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 11355 Old 07-24-2008, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 1277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs View Post

Anyone using a Harmony remote with the 1909? I have a Harmony One and when I tried to add the 1909 as a device, it's not in the database. Is there a simple work-around for this?

As others suggested, just use any other Denon model, they all have essentially the same remote IR commands. I have been using the codes from my old AVR 2105 for a 3803, 1905, and now a 2307ci. It wasn't worth the trouble to delete the old device and add a new one, and all the codes are the same anyway. I ended up teaching the Harmony the "RoomEQ" and "Night" buttons from the remote, but that's all I had to change for my current setup.

You may have to try a couple or maybe teach the Harmony a couple random things from your remote. Try one with Audyssey features (like 2807, 2808, etc) so you can get access to those buttons.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #153 of 11355 Old 07-24-2008, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearth View Post

Hi,

Can anyone confirm how many TOTAL HD inputs (HDMI & Component) that the 1909 supports? I see that they have 3 of each, but that does not necessarily mean that it supports 6 HD inputs...

Thanks!
Don

You are correct, it doesn't support 6! 5 is the max number of video inputs. Just be happy it's not like last year, the previous 19xx models only supported 4.

Check out the manual, page 42... There are only five assignable video sources: DVD, HDP, TV/CBL, VCR, V-AUX.

Note that to get all five, one of them has to be assigned to "V-AUX" which is the front aux input.

You can unofficially "double up" on certain video inputs if you need more than 5 total, by using one SD (which are unassignable) and one HD input for two devices on the same input, since the AVR will auto-detect the video source. For example, you could hook up a VCR with S-Video to the VCR input, and a Wii with component 1 and assing "RCA-1" to "VCR". If you turn on the VCR and the Wii is off, the Denon will automatically sense the S-video input. If the Wii is on, the component input will take precedence.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #154 of 11355 Old 07-24-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkur View Post

When you connect the receiver (HDMI monitor out) to your LCD and then go into the "A.Menu" use the buttons on the reverse side of the remote... do you see anything on the LCD?
If you do then your PS3 input might not be selected correctly in the "Input Assign" setup of the receiver.

I don't. It just can't connect with the 1909 at all. If I plug it into the PS3 or the SA8300 it comes on immediately, so the problem can only be the 1909 ...
post #155 of 11355 Old 07-24-2008, 03:02 PM

you can do a full reset of the receiver.. there could be a setting that got incorrectly set at the factory. You can do the reset by following the instructions on page 64 of the manual.
http://www.usa.denon.com/AVR-1909-OM_E_004.pdf

other than that you might have a bad hdmi port on the 1909.. try calling their tech support to see if they can troubleshoot it for you.

good luck

Quote:

I don't. It just can't connect with the 1909 at all. If I plug it into the PS3 or the SA8300 it comes on immediately, so the problem can only be the 1909 ...

post #156 of 11355 Old 07-24-2008, 03:04 PM

I talked the BB guy into selling me one, he said they can't put them on display until 27.July, but he could still sell me one. 10% coupon worked, but I had it printed on a color laser at the office, so I think it probably looked more 'official' than just a print-out.

It's a night and day difference between my old Kenwood 407 and this thing.

Comcast HD-DVR and PS3 worked perfectly. (I did set the PS3 to HDMI out from the "sounds settings", and selected all the possible output formats.) Both are connected using monoprice 1.3a HDMI cables, output from the 1909 is to a blue jeans cable hdmi that goes to a Epson 1080UB. The Epson correctly detect 1080i from the cable box and 1080p from the PS3. I experienced no lag issues playing a few songs on Rockband and watched the wizard fight scene from Order of the Phoenix and that seemed perfect, so the sync seems good.

After two hours, I'm pretty happy.
post #157 of 11355 Old 07-24-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:

Can you try something other than HDMI out from the 1909? If that worked, you have a pretty good chance it's just a bad hdmi port. These things are made China...
post #158 of 11355 Old 07-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 179
What exactly is this movers coupon and what does it apply to and how much off?

Having to replace my RX-V1000. It must have been shorted as my 2 front speaker connects no longer output any sound. Lots of power outages in my area recently. Which is also making me consider a power conditioner.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #159 of 11355 Old 07-24-2008, 03:38 PM

you go to the local post office and pick up one of those moving packets that has your address forwarding etc in it. It has a bunch of coupons with it. They were famous for their Circuit City coupons but I guess lately they have the Best Buy coupons in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

What exactly is this movers coupon and what does it apply to and how much off?

Having to replace my RX-V1000. It must have been shorted as my 2 front speaker connects no longer output any sound. Lots of power outages in my area recently. Which is also making me consider a power conditioner.

post #160 of 11355 Old 07-24-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryaneverett View Post

Can you try something other than HDMI out from the 1909? If that worked, you have a pretty good chance it's just a bad hdmi port. These things are made China...

Unfortunately the Hannspree monitor only has HDMI/VGA inputs. I will call Denon tomorrow.

Because I don't have enough HDMI cables I connected the SA8300 Cablevision receiver via component inputs. I could only get a picture after I turned video conversion on ...

This might be a PS/3 problem, but my subwoofer does not do much, so I turn it up. When I then switch to Radio or Cable I have to turn down the volume to keep the house from falling down ...

Sofar I am a little bit underwhelmed by the 1909 ...
post #161 of 11355 Old 07-24-2008, 04:59 PM

Just came from my PO and got a moving package. The coupon was inside for 10% as stated. Thanks for the info. Always nice to save $65. I'll take it with my receipt tomorrow.
post #162 of 11355 Old 07-24-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

As others suggested, just use any other Denon model, they all have essentially the same remote IR commands. I have been using the codes from my old AVR 2105 for a 3803, 1905, and now a 2307ci. It wasn't worth the trouble to delete the old device and add a new one, and all the codes are the same anyway. I ended up teaching the Harmony the "RoomEQ" and "Night" buttons from the remote, but that's all I had to change for my current setup.

You may have to try a couple or maybe teach the Harmony a couple random things from your remote. Try one with Audyssey features (like 2807, 2808, etc) so you can get access to those buttons.

Thanks to all who replied. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
post #163 of 11355 Old 07-24-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

You are correct, it doesn't support 6! 5 is the max number of video inputs. Just be happy it's not like last year, the previous 19xx models only supported 4.

Check out the manual, page 42... There are only five assignable video sources: DVD, HDP, TV/CBL, VCR, V-AUX.

Note that to get all five, one of them has to be assigned to "V-AUX" which is the front aux input.

You can unofficially "double up" on certain video inputs if you need more than 5 total, by using one SD (which are unassignable) and one HD input for two devices on the same input, since the AVR will auto-detect the video source. For example, you could hook up a VCR with S-Video to the VCR input, and a Wii with component 1 and assing "RCA-1" to "VCR". If you turn on the VCR and the Wii is off, the Denon will automatically sense the S-video input. If the Wii is on, the component input will take precedence.

That's regretable. Even more so, it like the most HD inputs that the 1909 will support is 4, since the front (V-AUX) does not have either HDMI or component. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that it will only support 3 HD connections, and that you can either use HDMI1 or COMP1 and HDMI2 or COMP2 and HDMI3 or COMP3...

Can anyone confirm that you can actually use 4 HD sources with the 1909? A quick look thru the online manual could not confirm or deny my suspicion...

Thanks!
Don
post #164 of 11355 Old 07-24-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:

That's regretable. Even more so, it like the most HD inputs that the 1909 will support is 4, since the front (V-AUX) does not have either HDMI or component. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that it will only support 3 HD connections, and that you can either use HDMI1 or COMP1 and HDMI2 or COMP2 and HDMI3 or COMP3...

Can anyone confirm that you can actually use 4 HD sources with the 1909? A quick look thru the online manual could not confirm or deny my suspicion...

Thanks!
Don

You can always buy something like this: http://www.amazon.com/OPPO-HM-31-Cer...6953332&sr=8-1

And then using one HDMI you can actually add 2 more sources, course they wont be perfectly labeled since they will be multiple HDMI sources into that single spot.
post #165 of 11355 Old 07-24-2008, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciner View Post

You can always buy something like this: http://www.amazon.com/OPPO-HM-31-Cer...6953332&sr=8-1

And then using one HDMI you can actually add 2 more sources, course they wont be perfectly labeled since they will be multiple HDMI sources into that single spot.

Good HDMI switch, but its just another $99 device you need to remote control.

A AVR-2309CI is only $849 if you really need four HDMI inputs. The AVR-889 with four HDMI ports is $749.

Oppo Beta Group
post #166 of 11355 Old 07-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

Thanks!
Don

So can someone explain this limitation, because I don't quite understand it. I've seen it brought up in threads for other receivers. There are connections on the back but it can't use them? I don't get it.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #167 of 11355 Old 07-24-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

So can someone explain this limitation, because I don't quite understand it. I've seen it brought up in threads for other receivers. There are connections on the back but it can't use them? I don't get it.

Actually 1909 can support all HD connections it has, that means all 6 of them. It has preferred order of HDMI/Component/Svideo/Composite in that order. What that measn is that if you hookup your BLu-ray over HDMI to DVD input and DVD player over component to DVD input and select that DVD iput, it will pass thru Dlu-ray if it's on or DVD player if Blu-ray is off. Same goes for all other inputs.
I have HDMi switch with PS3/HD-DVD/DVD on it on HDMI DVD input, than DVDR on DVD component input, XBXO360 on VCR HDMI input and Xbox on component VCR input and Wii on composite VCR input, SA8300 on TV/SAT component input, PC on HDMI HDP input. All sources can be independently selected.
post #168 of 11355 Old 07-24-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Good HDMI switch, but its just another $99 device you need to remote control.

A AVR-2309CI is only $849 if you really need four HDMI inputs. The AVR-889 with four HDMI ports is $749.

Agreed, prob worth just stepping up but for $200 you get one more port vs four if you put that $200 into two switches . You can prioritize that switch so you basically never have to use the remote control (unless you have two always on devices, like a DVR etc).

Just want to give folks really worried about HDMI inputs some options as I didn't think there were any myself for awhile and if the receiver didn't have enough inputs I was in trouble.
post #169 of 11355 Old 07-24-2008, 08:59 PM

Picked up a 1909 tonight at local BB (Riverside CA). No hassle at all. They had 3 boxes stacked off in a corner. Said I was second guy that bought one today. Took the 10% coupon no problem.

Tomorrow I will replace my aging HK and tie the 1909 into my HT system: NEC 55" plasma, SA 8300HD, Tosh HD DVD, and NHT T5 Tower surround system. Will post early impressions.

Thx to all the "coupon" guys!
post #170 of 11355 Old 07-24-2008, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
How would you folks setup a 1909 so that you can play streamed music from Napster through your home stereo? It would be sweet to do since I don't buy many cds, only my favorite artists, and I don't want to have to spend a buck to buy a song thru an ipod. I just want to pay a monthly fee and have access to any and every song I am in the mood for.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #171 of 11355 Old 07-24-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

An AVR-2309CI is only $849 if you really need four HDMI inputs. The AVR-889 with four HDMI ports is $749.

Yes, I am more convinced then ever that I want a 889 (I don't need the upgrades from the 889 to the 2309). Now, the wait is on for the release of the 889. Does anyone know where to buy the 689/789/889/989 series? It seems like the places that I usually buy my hardware (Best Buy, Magnolia, Circuit City) only offer the XX09 series. Will I be force to buy a 889 online?

Don
post #172 of 11355 Old 07-25-2008, 12:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's regretable. Even more so, it like the most HD inputs that the 1909 will support is 4, since the front (V-AUX) does not have either HDMI or component.

No, if you look at the page I referenced in the manual you can see that all five video inputs are assignable, including V-AUX, so you can have five independently labeled HD sources. If you assign V-AUX to, say, the "HDMI2" input, you can still plug something into the front Aux input (which is composite video only). As long as the HDMI device plugged into HDMI2 is off, the Denon will just default to the composite input.

Of course, as darius points out, you CAN connect more than 5 HD devices by "doubling up" on inputs, sort of like I described a few posts back. However, these will not be independently labeled on the receiver display.

If you really have the need to connect more than 5 separate HD sources, you should probably be looking at the 2809/989 level (which should accommodate 7 total based on past 28xx/98x models).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #173 of 11355 Old 07-25-2008, 05:44 AM

When I purchased my Sony 810 AVR, the big deal was: WOW three HDMI inputs.
Not trying to sound ungrateful, but with all the manufacturer's realizing everything's headed to HDMI, it seems strange that receivers in general only offer one HDMI output. For the 1909, I'd rather have three HDMI inputs and two outs. Don't they realize there are people who want to be able to feed a projector and a tv?
post #174 of 11355 Old 07-25-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocaje View Post

Not trying to sound ungrateful, but with all the manufacturer's realizing everything's headed to HDMI, it seems strange that receivers in general only offer one HDMI output. For the 1909, I'd rather have three HDMI inputs and two outs. Don't they realize there are people who want to be able to feed a projector and a tv?

Those people probably aren't looking at $600 AVRs.
post #175 of 11355 Old 07-25-2008, 06:19 AM

i want to buy a denon 1909 but im waiting until they become cheaper online. Im hoping for it to go under $500 before i pull the plug. Hopefully around $450. I will prob have to wait a month or two for that though.
post #176 of 11355 Old 07-25-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyren View Post

i want to buy a denon 1909 but im waiting until they become cheaper online. Im hoping for it to go under $500 before i pull the plug. Hopefully around $450. I will prob have to wait a month or two for that though.

Or perhaps when the 1910's become available.
post #177 of 11355 Old 07-25-2008, 07:06 AM

So here is my problem with the 1909:

+ When I connect the HDMI OUT to the JVC RS1 it works.

+ When I connect the HDMI OUT to the Hannspree 22"/HF229H LCD Monitor I get a NO VIDEO INPUT SIGNAL error. The 1909 OSD does not appear either and when I e.g. listen to the tuner while the Hannspree is plugged in the sound cuts out every 2 or 3 seconds because the 1909 is apparently trying to connect to the Hannspree

+ When I connect the Hannspree directly via HDMI to the PS3 or the SA8300 it works fine (the Hannspree has an HDMI input and is HDCP compliant).

I called Denon customer support this morning and I was told it must be a problem with the Hannspree because the 1909 works with the RS1 and there is nothing the can do.

I guess the 1909 will have to go back ...

UPDATE: talked to Hannspree customer support and they are not aware of any compatability problems with that monitor.
post #178 of 11355 Old 07-25-2008, 07:38 AM

Does anyone know if there is a straight pass through. I would like to hear and watch the TV with the 1909 turned off (for my wife). I have Direct TV DVR.
post #179 of 11355 Old 07-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocaje View Post

ther arent many people who have both, tv and projector, out there

Blu-Ray Supporter
post #180 of 11355 Old 07-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So here is my problem with the 1909:

+ When I connect the HDMI OUT to the JVC RS1 it works.

+ When I connect the HDMI OUT to the Hannspree 22"/HF229H LCD Monitor I get a NO VIDEO INPUT SIGNAL error. The 1909 OSD does not appear either and when I e.g. listen to the tuner while the Hannspree is plugged in the sound cuts out every 2 or 3 seconds because the 1909 is apparently trying to connect to the Hannspree

+ When I connect the Hannspree directly via HDMI to the PS3 or the SA8300 it works fine (the Hannspree has an HDMI input and is HDCP compliant).

I called Denon customer support this morning and I was told it must be a problem with the Hannspree because the 1909 works with the RS1 and there is nothing the can do.

I guess the 1909 will have to go back ...

UPDATE: talked to Hannspree customer support and they are not aware of any compatability problems with that monitor.

if there is no signal with the monitor, then its a monitor compability issue, usually an update works, but I doubt that TV has one

Blu-Ray Supporter
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 789 630 Watt 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page