Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3259 Old 10-02-2008, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by howellk View Post

Do you have a Pioneer TV with HDMI control on? I do and no matter what, if I turn on the 01, then the Kuro then the DVR or DVD it will always default to TV/SAT. All my connections are HDMI.

What I've noticed is, if I turn on the 01 first it will go back to my previous input because I see it flash up on the screen but if it doesn't find a signal from the last input source it will default back to TV/SAT. This happens even when I turn on the Kuro second in the chain.

It almost appears as though HDMI control causes a lag as the 01 is searching for an input signal and even when I turn on the input source during the Kuro handshake time the lag causes the 01 to default back to the TV/SAT.

no, i dont, i have a samsung.

Do you have a universal remote like a harmony?

Pioneer = Sound.Vision.Soul
Klipsch = Power.Detail.Emotion
Harmony = Pioneer Elite + Klipsch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3259 Old 10-02-2008, 03:42 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglm View Post

I have my Kuro connected to my 03 with HDMI control on. Using the Kuro remote I turn on the plasma, the 03 powers on automatically to my Cable or HDMI input, then switches around until it stays on a 94hz Stereo or something like that. Never stays on my HDMI 1/Cable input. Really annoying. Requires reaching for the remote and selecting the HDMI input button. My Cable/DVR box is connected via HDMI and is always on - not powered off. This almost works, but I can't figure out how to get it to stick to HDMI 1/Cable...

I use a SR cable between my Kuro and 01. The 01 always comes up on HDMI1/Cable when it powers up. I also leave my cable box on all the time, it only has a toggle power on/off.

Ken
post #273 of 3259 Old 10-02-2008, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by facke02 View Post

I use a SR cable between my Kuro and 01. The 01 always comes up on HDMI1/Cable when it powers up. I also leave my cable box on all the time, it only has a toggle power on/off.

Thanks for the info about this option - what's an SR cable?
post #274 of 3259 Old 10-02-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info about this option - what's an SR cable?

The SR cable is described on page 64 and on in the 01 user manual.

Ken
post #275 of 3259 Old 10-02-2008, 08:08 PM

I am thinking about getting a set of these Klipsch
one of these
pair of these
and a center and idk for my rear surround

post #276 of 3259 Old 10-02-2008, 08:38 PM

Why would you get a Def Tech center speaker instead of this?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1210378662458
If it all possible you want your front 3 speakers to match brands/speaker lines...
post #277 of 3259 Old 10-02-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:

Guys, since we debated this very topic a while ago, I contacted pioneer about this issue. Here is the copy of the email I sent them:

Quote:

I have a VSX-03 receiver hooked up to my Elite 111FD plasma via HDMI input 4. I have a Directv HD DVR connected the HDMI 1 input on the Receiver so I can watch TV on the plasma.

Everytime that I enable HDMI control to get all those benefits, the receiver does NOT remember the last input setting (HDMI 1). It powers on the last input, but then always defaults back to the TV Sat input (which has NOTHING connected to it). This is extremely frustrating, since I have to manual reset the input every time I want to watch anything on my TV, defeating one of the benefits of HDMI control. I have looked through every setting on the receiver and the TV, and have not been successful.

Every other receiver I have ever owned did not exhibit this behavour. Clearly there is a problem between the 111 and the 03 talking to each other. I explicitly bought all pioneer gear (03 and BluRay 05) to go with my 111 based on how it was supposed to be all be integrated and provide seamless operation.

Please let me know how I can solve this auto-switching/defaulting back to TV SAT problem and still maintain all the benefits of HDMI control. Thank you very much."

And here is the fabulously informative and ridiculous answer that I got back:

Quote:

This is not a malfunctions with the receiver. When you use HDMI Control the receiver will always default back to TV Sat. Only way for this not to happen is not to use HDMI Control.

Thank You,

(name blanked out)
Customer Service Representative

Worst. Decision. Ever.

I sent an email back to them asking for more information and an explanation for the logic of having the receiver default back to a NON-High Def signal on a receiver that clearly was built and designed for HD. Not to mention the fact that they offering HDMI control as a benefit of the receiver with all the goodies of on-screen volume control, etc., then basically saying that you need to turn it off if you want to have the receiver stay on an HDMI input. (sound of me bashing head against wall repeatedly).

Heard nothing back yet. Big surprise.

Oh...and yes..I do realize that you can just program a Harmony remote to have it change the input back...however for the price pio charges for this thing, it's ridiculous to me that it does this.
post #278 of 3259 Old 10-03-2008, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
MacGuyPA - thanks for sharing the information you got from Pioneer. Like you I'm disappointed that it doesn't work the way it should. I'm using HDMI control too and once the 03 powers on it first remembers my Cable input/HDMI 1, switches to TV Sat, then finally settlles on an input which reads 94Khz Stereo, not HDMI 1.
post #279 of 3259 Old 10-03-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaraas View Post

Why would you get a Def Tech center speaker instead of this?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1210378662458
If it all possible you want your front 3 speakers to match brands/speaker lines...

any particular reason?

what should i use my rear surround? i have a 6.1 system and it has to be from best buy since i work there

post #280 of 3259 Old 10-03-2008, 08:30 AM

I like these better than the xb-10 also http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1210378662805

would this work as a good rear center?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1210379096902

post #281 of 3259 Old 10-03-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaksavior View Post

any particular reason?

what should i use my rear surround? i have a 6.1 system and it has to be from best buy since i work there

Timber matching basically- the idea is you want your front 3 speakers to be as close to the same as possible because during movies it is not uncommon to have voices travel through the front stage, like from the left speaker to the center to the right. If the center speaker is from a different manufacturer than the L/R, it may have different characteristics that could make voices sound a little different or 'off' and may be noticeable. If the front 3 speakers are the same manufacturer/line, there should be very little difference. It would be ideal to actually have the same exact speaker for all three of the front speakers, but most people cannot accommodate a tower or bookshelf speaker in the middle.

Rear speakers are a little different, the timber matching isn't quite as important since it is not common to get a lot voice action from the rears moving to the front. I went with a different brand for my rears to save a few hundred dollars, but some people will want to stay the same so it's all personal preference/budget.

If you are going to go 6.1, some people like to use the same speaker as the center for the back center so it matches. Otherwise if you want to go 7.1 I would say just use two pairs of the bookshelves you picked out. If you want to start 6.1 with the option to go to 7.1 in the future- can you buy just one bookshelf speaker, or do you have to buy them in pairs?
post #282 of 3259 Old 10-03-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:

I like these better than the xb-10 also http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1210378662805

would this work as a good rear center?

Those appear to be better matches to the main speakers you picked out, so those probably would work well, both the sides and the rear center.
Are you able to return them easily too if you don't like them? Wasn't sure what the policy is for those working there.
If easily returnable, then you have nothing to lose to at least try them.
post #283 of 3259 Old 10-03-2008, 11:25 AM

its standard return just like if i was a normal customer.. what should i use as a rear center or back surround as though? im not sure.

would that work well?

Quote:

Timber matching basically- the idea is you want your front 3 speakers to be as close to the same as possible because during movies it is not uncommon to have voices travel through the front stage, like from the left speaker to the center to the right. If the center speaker is from a different manufacturer than the L/R, it may have different characteristics that could make voices sound a little different or 'off' and may be noticeable. If the front 3 speakers are the same manufacturer/line, there should be very little difference. It would be ideal to actually have the same exact speaker for all three of the front speakers, but most people cannot accommodate a tower or bookshelf speaker in the middle.

Rear speakers are a little different, the timber matching isn't quite as important since it is not common to get a lot voice action from the rears moving to the front. I went with a different brand for my rears to save a few hundred dollars, but some people will want to stay the same so it's all personal preference/budget.

If you are going to go 6.1, some people like to use the same speaker as the center for the back center so it matches. Otherwise if you want to go 7.1 I would say just use two pairs of the bookshelves you picked out. If you want to start 6.1 with the option to go to 7.1 in the future- can you buy just one bookshelf speaker, or do you have to buy them in pairs?

makes sense.

the book shelves are a pair so i cant buy them separately . my jbl speakers do not output the sound welll with my 01.

post #284 of 3259 Old 10-03-2008, 11:37 AM

[quote=freaksavior;14794190]its standard return just like if i was a normal customer.. what should i use as a rear center or back surround as though? im not sure.

would that work well?
QUOTE]

Yes, if you are only going to have one back speaker I would think that one would work well. And it would be easy to add another one someday if you wanted to go to 7.1 since they sell them separately.
post #285 of 3259 Old 10-03-2008, 11:44 AM

sweet! now i know that speakers are preference. but if you were going a 6.1 system what would you pick?

im trying to learn a lot about audio stuff since im going to move to ht at bby

my home theater room is 16x18 and im using the Elite 01 (obviously)

retail cost of all that is $3375 idk what my cost is yet. probably around $1500

post #286 of 3259 Old 10-03-2008, 06:26 PM

So a month ago I purchased this receiver. and within the past few days its just randomly been having audio problems. change the changes audio levels change. Audio.. sounds like your in a tin can.. just all sorts of weird random problems.

Any one have any insight?
post #287 of 3259 Old 10-03-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6Zak View Post

So a month ago I purchased this receiver. and within the past few days its just randomly been having audio problems. change the changes audio levels change. Audio.. sounds like your in a tin can.. just all sorts of weird random problems.

Any one have any insight?

have you tried unplugging it and letting it fully power down? i would start there

post #288 of 3259 Old 10-03-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:

have you tried unplugging it and letting it fully power down? i would start there

Yes i've tried that.
post #289 of 3259 Old 10-03-2008, 09:23 PM

does it do it on all inputs?

Quote:

Yes, if you are only going to have one back speaker I would think that one would work well. And it would be easy to add another one someday if you wanted to go to 7.1 since they sell them separately.

jbl L880 vs klipsch icon wf-34?

i have heard the kilpsch and they sound great. I personally like them better than the deftech BP7006BLA http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1151658128918. While the deftechs sound good, they are just to much bases in them and the clarity from the klipsh sound better imho.

im more between the icons and the studio L serisou JBL because i can get them cheap through bby, but i haven't heard them

post #290 of 3259 Old 10-03-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:

jbl L880 vs klipsch icon wf-34?

i have heard the kilpsch and they sound great. I personally like them better than the deftech BP7006BLA http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1151658128918. While the deftechs sound good, they are just to much bases in them and the clarity from the klipsh sound better imho.

im more between the icons and the studio L serisou JBL because i can get them cheap through bby, but i haven't heard them

Keep in mind this is a thread for 01 and 03 owners, you would probably get better response in the speaker forum.
I have not heard the JBL's or Klipsch. I believe the Def Tech's have a gain or volume for the bass, do they not? If so, you would be able to adjust the bass to your liking more. But since you've heard the Klipsch and like it, it's probably safe to go with them. They're typically sensitive speakers, and should be driven easily by you receiver. I am not sure about the JBL's, and I would be hesitant to order anything without hearing it first, unless you're prepared to return them if you don't like them.
post #291 of 3259 Old 10-04-2008, 08:52 AM

yeah... i know its a 01, 03 thread. just though i would ask anyway.

post #292 of 3259 Old 10-04-2008, 09:06 AM

This thread is finally starting to heat up a bit!!
post #293 of 3259 Old 10-04-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

armaraas -- All the adjustments are available in the AVRs, so there is no advantage to any speaker adjustments. This is especially true with the MCACC calibration capabilities in the 01 & 03 (or any other Pioneer AVRs).

freaksavior -- I prefer the Klipsch speakers. The new JBLs sound "boomie" to me, too much low frequency emphasis. I have a 30+ year old pair of JBL L96 speakers and they sound a lot better than any of the new JBL models, to my ears anyway.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #294 of 3259 Old 10-04-2008, 01:49 PM

So today I noticed some sort of drip that had landed on the front of my 01. I grabbed a moist paper towel to clean it off and the E at the end of Elite came off with it! I wasn't even rubbing hard, the thing just came right off! I'm so pissed because obviously I can't claim warranty service for this, but now the receiver looks silly with just "Elit" there. Even more annoying, whatever the drip was is still there a little bit.

Does Pioneer have any sort of decal replacement?
post #295 of 3259 Old 10-05-2008, 02:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyHiHatWork View Post

So today I noticed some sort of drip that had landed on the front of my 01. I grabbed a moist paper towel to clean it off and the E at the end of Elite came off with it! I wasn't even rubbing hard, the thing just came right off! I'm so pissed because obviously I can't claim warranty service for this, but now the receiver looks silly with just "Elit" there. Even more annoying, whatever the drip was is still there a little bit.

Does Pioneer have any sort of decal replacement?

Sounds like you have now been officially "downgraded" to Elit status

Before getting a new decal though, I would STRONGLY suggest you find out where that leak came from, and what it is!!! Where is the unit placed? Is it low and exposed? Do you have any CATS in your home? Sometimes they like to "mark" their ownership on things, and perhaps you have just been upsurped in ownership of your AVR
post #296 of 3259 Old 10-05-2008, 02:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarloM View Post

Please let us know what you find re: bitstream vs. LPCM. Basically from what I understand the difference will be revealed only if one source is better at decoding than the other source. So if the 03 has better decoders than the PS3, then in theory bitstream should be better, and vice versa. I would think the decoding should be pretty comparable between the two units (the PS3 is no slouch).

When I have some time later I'll post my initial review of the 03 after about two weeks worth of putting it through its paces. Here's a brief synopsis, though: I very much like it.

Sadly, you will never get the DD THD or DTS HDMA through bitstream out on the PS3. Is is not, nor ever will be, able to do that. To get bistream, you need a stand alone player like Sony (S350 or the new S550), Panasonic (BD30/50/35/55), any Samsung or LG. I WILL SAY though, the PS3 sounded way better through both the 03 I tried, and the SC-05 that I am keeping though, than it did through my Onkyo 805. The Pio's just sound so much better! But now that I have been through a number of players, the current Samsung 2550 sounds FANTASTIC though bitstream to my Pio. Compared to the PS3, and to MY EARS, I still prefer bitstream over LPCM. And I believe, though forgot since I last used the PS3 some time ago, but I think you also get more DSP modes to use with bitstream than you do with LPCM - especially if you use all 7.1 speakers.
post #297 of 3259 Old 10-05-2008, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My VSX-01THX was installed on Friday. The installer did a manual setup measuring the distances from the speakers to where I sit and then fine tuning the speakers by ear.

I was curious as to how many do the Auto vs. the Manual MCACC? My apartment's living room is a typical rectangle.

Is there an advantage using either one or both?
post #298 of 3259 Old 10-05-2008, 10:28 AM

NYC Guy,

I did auto mcacc, and it calculated the distance fairly well. i haven't tweaked the receiver much bc the JBL speakers i have really can't perform like they are meant to on this receiver.

post #299 of 3259 Old 10-05-2008, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have my Kuro connected to my 03 with HDMI control on. Using the Kuro remote I turn on the plasma, the 03 powers on automatically to my Cable or HDMI input, then switches around until it stays on a 94hz Stereo or something like that. Never stays on my HDMI 1/Cable input. Really annoying. Requires reaching for the remote and selecting the HDMI input button. My Cable/DVR box is connected via HDMI and is always on - not powered off. This almost works, but I can't figure out how to get it to stick to HDMI 1/Cable...

Same here with me. It is annoying.
post #300 of 3259 Old 10-05-2008, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

In essence you're doing what I was talking about. If the 01 sees a signal from a source it will lock onto it. That's why I was always turning on my sat box first.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page