Official VSX-01TXH and VSX-03TXH Owners Thread - Page 103 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3061 of 3263 Old 04-25-2010, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the VSX-03TXH receiver.
I want to hook this up to a Blue Ray, the DirecTV HD box, and the TV.

Is there a way to plug them in via HDMI so I can choose to the sound through TV or from the receiver? Or will the receiver always have to be on to the signal to go through it?
ie. I want the option to watch direcTv with just the TV on, and sometimes maybe with the receiver with surround for louder sound. Same thing with the BlueRay, sometimes just TV and sometimes with surround sound.

Any suggestions or help?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 3263 Old 04-25-2010, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

It's possible that you could utilize HDMI splitters or multi-in multi-out HDMI switchers. Monoprice has quite a selection of these.

I occasionally use just the TV speakers (if the TV is on all day and I'm working on the PC or other, to save a few cents of juice). I have a component connection from the cable box to the TV along with an optical connection. HDMI runs from the cable box to the receiver and on to the TV for running the speakers. @ 1080i or less, it works fine. I have my Harmony remote set up to switch back and forth

If the AVR is off/standby, there is no HDMI pass-through.

OTOH, if your objective is something other than energy savings, all you would have to do is to set the receiver to pass through HDMI in audio parameters but the AVR must be on.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
post #3063 of 3263 Old 05-10-2010, 08:04 AM

I recently added a Wii system and was wondering if it were possible to get HDMI output from the VSX-03TXH. Messed around with receiver menu a bit but the only thing I saw was a setting to assign Component In to the DVD input or whatever. Am I looking in the wrong spot to assign Video Out.. or can this receiver not convert component to HDMI?

Currently I have my PC, PS3, and Cable TV hooked up. Just wanted to see if I could make things a little simplier if possible without more component cables from receiver to TV.
post #3064 of 3263 Old 05-10-2010, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxbattousaixo View Post

I recently added a Wii system and was wondering if it were possible to get HDMI output from the VSX-03TXH. Messed around with receiver menu a bit but the only thing I saw was a setting to assign Component In to the DVD input or whatever. Am I looking in the wrong spot to assign Video Out.. or can this receiver not convert component to HDMI?

Currently I have my PC, PS3, and Cable TV hooked up. Just wanted to see if I could make things a little simplier if possible without more component cables from receiver to TV.

Hi oxbattousaixo, yes it does convert component to HDMI. Check Video Convertion is set to On.
post #3065 of 3263 Old 05-18-2010, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I have an vsx01 and a pio bdp-51. I am using component cables from the blu ray to the rec. when listening to cd's. I of course change the vsx01 to multi channel. The problem I have is that I do not anything out of my sub. Am I missing something? How can I activate my sub when listening to cd's? Thanks in advance,Tang

-60" SAMSUNG-ENERGY RC-50'S-ENERGY RC-LCR-ENERGY RC-10'S-PSA XV15se-PIONEER ELITE SC-25-OPPO BDP 103Dhttp://www.avsforum.com/g/a/1459339/default/
post #3066 of 3263 Old 05-18-2010, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang7969 View Post

I have an vsx01 and a pio bdp-51. I am using component cables from the blu ray to the rec. when listening to cd's. I of course change the vsx01 to multi channel. The problem I have is that I do not anything out of my sub. Am I missing something? How can I activate my sub when listening to cd's? Thanks in advance,Tang

I'm not positive on how the bdp-51 works but if its like my BD player you will have to set up your crossover(s) in the player when using MCH. Also, on your connections make sure you have the sub out from the player connected to the AVR sub in.

post #3067 of 3263 Old 05-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

In addition to what mrgribbles said, there is also a 10db subwoofer boost in the multichannel input setup menu that you might check.

Out of curiosity, why are you using the multichannel input to listen to CDs? You may be aware of this, but you miss out on some of the AVR's capabilities connecting it that way.

UNAVol
------------------------------------
There's nothing to see here.
post #3068 of 3263 Old 05-18-2010, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavol View Post

In addition to what mrgribbles said, there is also a 10db subwoofer boost in the multichannel input setup menu that you might check.

Out of curiosity, why are you using the multichannel input to listen to CDs? You may be aware of this, but you miss out on some of the AVR's capabilities connecting it that way.

Somebody said it sounds better using multichannel. Im not so sure though. What do I miss out on when I use multichannel? Sorry for the stupid question.

-60" SAMSUNG-ENERGY RC-50'S-ENERGY RC-LCR-ENERGY RC-10'S-PSA XV15se-PIONEER ELITE SC-25-OPPO BDP 103Dhttp://www.avsforum.com/g/a/1459339/default/
post #3069 of 3263 Old 05-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Somebody said it sounds better using multichannel. Im not so sure though. What do I miss out on when I use multichannel? Sorry for the stupid question.

It's about finding the option that you like the best. I don't know how the bdp-51 works, but when I use the multichannel inputs with my player I lose the the 01's bass management and the numerous DSP modes (like loudness/midnight, THX modes, etc). These days, I tend to prefer Direct mode for music, but occasionally I use other modes to get more oomph at night without turning it up loud enough to wake people.

UNAVol
------------------------------------
There's nothing to see here.
post #3070 of 3263 Old 05-31-2010, 09:02 PM

I have a VSX-03TXH I bought last year around June. Earlier tonight it stopped outputting sound out of the left front speaker, but the right works fine. If you power cycle it, you can hear sound for about 5 seconds then the left front cuts out and the other channels are fine. It doesn't seem to matter which input you use; DirecTV, BD, CD... they all have no left front. If I hook up headphones I get both left and right. Does anyone ever heard of this or have any bright ideas? Bring it in for service I guess?

Thanks!
post #3071 of 3263 Old 06-01-2010, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

This could very well be a speaker connection issue or short. I would reconnect your left speaker cables both at the speaker and at the AVR. Be doubly sure that you have no loose strands of wire that may go to ground in the connection. You can also swap left and right speakers and see if the problem is in the speaker or AVR channel. Although this test is widely done it does carry the risk of possible speaker damage if there is an internal amplifier problem in the AVR. If a channel goes it can damage the speaker swapping the speakers may damage the other speaker and the damaged speaker may then damage the other good AVR channel, and so on. It can be a vicious circle although rare. It happened to me.

If you have access to an ohmmeter you may want to disconnect your left speaker and measure the resistance across the terminals. The reading should be approximately 70-80% of the rated impedance of the speaker. If less, the speaker may have some shorting issues.

If the connections and speaker check out then its possible that it's an internal AVR channel problem.

Good luck.

post #3072 of 3263 Old 06-01-2010, 10:31 PM

Ok, thanks. Work ran late tonight, I'll give that a go tomorrow night. Thank you sir.
post #3073 of 3263 Old 06-02-2010, 06:53 PM

Hmm, now it work with no issues. I'm not sure what it's deal is. I ran into the same trouble about 6 months ago... I guess I'll just pray it keeps going for another 6 months. I did disconnect and check the speakers with my Fluke though. The whole set is Infinity Primus. The backs are both P152 @ 4.2 Ohm, and the fronts are both P252 @ 4.8 Ohm.

Oh well, thanks for the help!

Speedys123
post #3074 of 3263 Old 06-04-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

I'm experiencing a problem with my VSX-03 system. I have my cable DVR, Sony BR player & XBox running through the unit all via HDMI. I then feed the signal to a Mits DLP via HDMI. This setup has worked flawlessly for a year now.
I recently added a new Sezmi DVR to my system. Having no more HDMI inputs, I grabbed a high quality component cable from my closet since the system maxed out at 1080i. I ran this to an unused input, set up the input to component/toslink & it worked. Only problem I'm experiencing is the sound arrives a second later than the video. This can be very disturbing on talk shows especially in close up shots were the subject's mouths are visible. This delay is evident in both live & recorded programs.
Is the 03 at fault or is something else adjustable?

You may want to check you audio to video delay on your receiver.
Set the Auto Delay to off, and adjust it manually and that should fix your delay issue. Good luck.
post #3075 of 3263 Old 06-10-2010, 12:17 PM

Can anyone tell me how to clear all the settings on my 01TXH receiver so I can start from scratch setting it up?

Thanks.
post #3076 of 3263 Old 06-14-2010, 03:05 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Not a stupid question at all. Using the MCH IN you are only using the AVR's amp section. Which means you are using your BD players DAC's and bass management(if it has any, not familiar with your BD player). This is the way I listen to music, the DAC's in my BD player are much better than those in my 01. If you are getting nothing from your sub using the MCH IN you need to check the configuration on the BD player and make sure you have the BD's players SUB OUT connected to the AVR's MCH SUB IN.
post #3077 of 3263 Old 08-05-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal4 View Post

Not a stupid question at all. Using the MCH IN you are only using the AVR's amp section. Which means you are using your BD players DAC's and bass management(if it has any, not familiar with your BD player). This is the way I listen to music, the DAC's in my BD player are much better than those in my 01. If you are getting nothing from your sub using the MCH IN you need to check the configuration on the BD player and make sure you have the BD's players SUB OUT connected to the AVR's MCH SUB IN.

The BDP-51FD has dual Wolfson DACs which are definitely better than the AVR's DACs. This only applies go the stereo LR analog RCA connections that are separate from the 7.1 analog connections that are on the back of the 51 as well.

-Sean

Pioneer Kuro PRO-151FD | KRP-500M | PDP-5020FD | PDP-4280HD

Pioneer Elite SC-05 | VSX-01TXH | BDP-23FD

Bowers & Wilkins CM8 | CM-Center | M-1

http://sean-scott.com

post #3078 of 3263 Old 08-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Okay, I got a good one for you 01/03 pros... When I'm listening to my music via my PS3's hard drive (hooked up via HDMI to my 01) how can I get into the settings of the receiver without the OSD popping up on the TV? The music continues to play, but I can't hear it at all because the OSD shows up.

The reason I'm asking is because I want to fine tune my system with music playing, and I don't like the OSD coming on and delaying the music from playing again.

I have found that while listening to the tuner, the radio doesn't stop when I access the receiver's settings...?

Any help and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. TYIA
post #3079 of 3263 Old 08-10-2010, 07:34 PM

I also have a question for the VSX-01 experts. I currently have a BDP-23FD and XBOX360 Media Center Extender connected to a Pioneer 4280HD all through the 01 via HDMI. The HDMI control works perfectly for everything except when the TV and receiver power on, the HDMI syncs up and changes the receiver input to TV, which is component video and to my knowledge can't be reassigned to HDMI1.

Does anyone know if there is a way to override this? I also purchased the three contact 3.5mm cables the Pioneer recommends using the "control in" ports in case they can be used instead of HDMI control. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Sean

Pioneer Kuro PRO-151FD | KRP-500M | PDP-5020FD | PDP-4280HD

Pioneer Elite SC-05 | VSX-01TXH | BDP-23FD

Bowers & Wilkins CM8 | CM-Center | M-1

http://sean-scott.com

post #3080 of 3263 Old 08-30-2010, 01:48 PM

1st post here...I joined here because it seems that I am having a pretty serious issue with my VSX03-TXH. So, I was hoping to come here and get some help before taking further, less convenient steps.

So I turned on the receiver yesterday, and I got the (from what I've read) dreaded "AMP ERROR" flashing on the display. Then all went dead with the exception of the now flashing/blinking MCACC indicator light on the front panel of the receiver. The manual says I may have serious problem, and to get it to a authorized service center. I'd like to avoid that slight inconvenience.

I've seen on the internet, for a few other Pioneer receiver models, that there is a combination of 2 buttons that can be pushed and held simultaneously for a few seconds together to reset this error. What I'm wondering, 1st of all, if anyone else out there in VSX03-TXH world has experienced this, and 2nd, if this model has a similar method, such as pressing and holding 2 buttons on the receiver together for a few seconds, that will, at least temporarily, reset this error for me.

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks, Dan
post #3081 of 3263 Old 09-08-2010, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a question regarding testing the amplifier power of this vsx-01 and vsx-03. I don't think I've seen reviews where testing was done to see how much power was available with 5 channels driven. Does anyone have this information?

I was under the impression the amp sections of the 01/03 are the same as the 21/23.
post #3082 of 3263 Old 09-16-2010, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interspy24 View Post

I have a question regarding testing the amplifier power of this vsx-01 and vsx-03. I don't think I've seen reviews where testing was done to see how much power was available with 5 channels driven. Does anyone have this information?

I was under the impression the amp sections of the 01/03 are the same as the 21/23.

Any idea on the power ratings of the vsx01 and/or the vsx03?
post #3083 of 3263 Old 10-24-2010, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I have searched through this long thread and I see that some people are having a similar problem as me but not exactly the same. I have the VSX01 with a PS3, Xbox 360, and Comcast DVR box all hooked up through HDMI. About twice an hour, my screen turns black for about 2 seconds while watching Comcast. If I hook the Comcast box up using Component cables, the problem goes away.Is this a known issue with HDMI and the VSX units? I really like using the HDMI hookups for the obvious reasons and would hate to have to keep the Component cables hooked up. I did try hooking the Comcast box directly to the TV with an HDMI cable and I never get the black screen so I know it's not the HDMI output on the cable box causing the problem.
post #3084 of 3263 Old 10-24-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post

I have searched through this long thread and I see that some people are having a similar problem as me but not exactly the same. I have the VSX01 with a PS3, Xbox 360, and Comcast DVR box all hooked up through HDMI. About twice an hour, my screen turns black for about 2 seconds while watching Comcast. If I hook the Comcast box up using Component cables, the problem goes away.Is this a known issue with HDMI and the VSX units? I really like using the HDMI hookups for the obvious reasons and would hate to have to keep the Component cables hooked up. I did try hooking the Comcast box directly to the TV with an HDMI cable and I never get the black screen so I know it's not the HDMI output on the cable box causing the problem.

FWIW -- I have a VSX-01 with a bluray and htpc over HDMI in and have had no problems like that.
post #3085 of 3263 Old 10-25-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post

I have an O1 too. It's hooked up to a projector with a Directv dvr, blu-ray player and a PCH-200 all hooked up via HDMI. The only time I get the sync issue is when I switch inputs (between the different video sources).

I only time I get a sync issue without changing inputs is when the video source changes resolution (ie - 720p -> 1080p).
post #3086 of 3263 Old 11-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

I was wondering how one would play FLAC music files on the VSX-01TXH AVR. Anyone? TYIA
post #3087 of 3263 Old 11-05-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post

I was wondering how one would play FLAC music files on the VSX-01TXH AVR. Anyone? TYIA

bump
post #3088 of 3263 Old 11-07-2010, 03:12 PM

I have the VSX-9130 and the only way I have had sucess playing FLAC files was through my laptop hooker up VIA HDMI. Sounds good but not sure how to check to see if its truly loss less audio.
post #3089 of 3263 Old 11-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, and I'm doing the following: FLAC to MediaMonkey, convert to WAV (in MM as well), import to iTunes, then convert to Apple lossless (ALAC), and then to my iPhone and plugged in to the iPod port on my AVR. *sigh*

I've been doing some research and a media streamer, like the Sonos unit, is the only way to go.

* Wow! 500th post!
post #3090 of 3263 Old 11-07-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post

Yeah, and I'm doing the following: FLAC to MediaMonkey, convert to WAV (in MM as well), import to iTunes, then convert to Apple lossless (ALAC), and then to my iPhone and plugged in to the iPod port on my AVR. *sigh*

I've been doing some research and a media streamer, like the Sonos unit, is the only way to go.

* Wow! 500th post!

Congrats on 500 Craw!
I am using MM as well and didnt realise the procedure to convert. Thanks, I will give that a try
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page