post #3181 of 3259 Old 01-03-2012, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavol View Post

DariRose,
Are you switching the input to the corrosponding HDMI1 or HDMI2 input after you plug the HDMI cable from your device as explained on p. 16 of the manual? The VSX-01 won't automatically switch to the proper HDMI input. It has to be done manually. For example, plug your satellite box's HDMI cable into the HDMI1 input on the VSX-01 and press the HDMI1 button on the front of the VSX-01 until the display shows HDMI1. Unless you have a defective unit or I am misunderstanding what you're trying to do I believe that process should get you a picture. Hope that helps.

Thanks UnaVol. I don't get a picture or sound, even after cycling through to the corresponding input(s). (I've tried both.) The res on my DirecTV box is set to 1080, so I'm not sure res is the issue. I sure hope the unit isn't defective....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 3259 Old 01-03-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

Hard to answer this without seeing your hookup.
I run all my equipment via HDMI to AVR, than run one out to TV. Turn off HDMI Control. Have the AVR upconvert all inputs to 1080P. Your Xbox should have a HDMI out, no adapter. You may have to go into AVR setup & make sure every input is set to HDMI out only. Turn on devices in reverse order. I suggest a harmony remote. Report back with more specific questions.

Thanks Geezer. The Xbox does have an HDMI out. Plugging in the cable from the out on the xbox into either of the available HDMI input jacks on the receiver doesn't get me a picture or sound when selecting the corresponding HDMI input via the remote. Resolution on the xbox hasn't been changed and the DirecTV box is set to 1080. I thought about drawing out a picture, but didn't want to clutter my post. Hence my later comments about getting someone out here to physically look at this disaster....
post #3183 of 3259 Old 01-03-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciab View Post

Have you assigned the HDMI connections as the source for the video input being used?

My only choices to assign to the ports are either DVD or video. My DirecTV unit is a DVR. By default, the DVD option was selected for one of the inputs, can't remember which at this point. I didn't have a picture or sound when I selected that HDMI port via my remote.
post #3184 of 3259 Old 01-03-2012, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by DariRose View Post

I've had it with my whole system! I'm hoping someone here can help.
When we tried to hook ANYTHING up to the HDMI jacks in the receiver, we get NO sound OR picture.

Hi DariRose, don't know if this would help but here is a suggestion to follow.

- power receiver off (including tv and components)
- disconnect all HDMI cables from receiver
- power on receiver and perform a factory reset
- power receiver off
- unplug receiver power cord from wall output
- connect DirecTV box, BD player and Xbox 360 via HDMI to receiver
- plug receiver power cord to wall outlet
- wait for about 15 - 30 seconds to begin process for HDMI initialization
- power receiver on
- power on source (DirecTV or BD player or Xbox 360)
- power on tv (set to correct video input that receiver is plugged into)
post #3185 of 3259 Old 01-05-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi DariRose, don't know if this would help but here is a suggestion to follow.

- power receiver off (including tv and components)
- disconnect all HDMI cables from receiver
- power on receiver and perform a factory reset
- power receiver off
- unplug receiver power cord from wall output
- connect DirecTV box, BD player and Xbox 360 via HDMI to receiver
- plug receiver power cord to wall outlet
- wait for about 15 - 30 seconds to begin process for HDMI initialization
- power receiver on
- power on source (DirecTV or BD player or Xbox 360)
- power on tv (set to correct video input that receiver is plugged into)

Now that's what I'm talking about! Thank you for this checklist. I will attempt this tonight when I'm home. The bit I think is the most helpful is actually unplugging the receiver from the wall before connecting all the HDMI cables to force the initialiation. Previously, I was unable to force the unit to do its own sync when I had powered the unit back on after the reset originally (with the HDMI cables attached) because the receiver was plugged in all along.

Also, I reread the manual again, starting with page 16 as previously quoted in recent replies, following all the references to all the other pages in the manual. I believe it's not until I got to pages 69-71 (or so) where there is mention in the small type that once the HDMI cables are plugged into the receiver that you must manually tell it not only what is plugged in where, but also the type of connection the component is using (coax, HDMI, etc). Some of the previous posts have alluded to this, but it was unclear where this particular step was to be taken in the mess I created for myself.

When this is all over, I'm willing to write a how-to guide for this specific model and post it here (or somewhere). Do you (and the others on this particular thread) think it would be helpful? The receiver is more than(?) 3 yo....
post #3186 of 3259 Old 01-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Looking to the great folks in this thread to help me out once again. My VSX-01TXH seems to be going into a "stand by" mode when I shut it off. The blue power light mysteriously stays on, but the display and all other lights shut off. Any ideas? I've skimmed the owners manual, but didn't find any solution.

TYIA
post #3187 of 3259 Old 01-08-2012, 04:13 PM

Liked: 13
Aren't they all like that? You have to unplug it or put it on a power strip if you intend for it to be completely off. I think. I haven't got mine hooked up right now because it takes frickin' forever to get things set up again when you move.
post #3188 of 3259 Old 01-09-2012, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxjnorto View Post

Aren't they all like that? You have to unplug it or put it on a power strip if you intend for it to be completely off. I think. I haven't got mine hooked up right now because it takes frickin' forever to get things set up again when you move.

Yeah, it sounds like a "normal" problem, but it's never done this in the three(?) years I've owned it. Also I've noticed that its not working with my TV anymore either... For instance, when I have the AVR powered up while watching TV the DirecTV remote won't turn down the AVR volume like it used to. I checked and the AVR's HDMI control is on and I don't think I've changed any other settings.

Any thoughts?
post #3189 of 3259 Old 01-09-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Turning HDMI control off doesn't help?
post #3190 of 3259 Old 01-09-2012, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

^^^ Oddly enough, no. :-?

How do you do a reset again? Maybe that's my only option, but man, I really don't wanna do that.
post #3191 of 3259 Old 01-09-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
And it stays that way, with the blue light on for how long? Mine started delaying its entry into full standby mode after watching HDMI sources. After watching a movie on the PS3, for example, a power off will result in a click with the display turning off, but the blue light remains on. A tiny while later it turns off. I read others experiencing the same thing, so I guess it's normal. No problems other than that strangeness.

bg
post #3192 of 3259 Old 01-09-2012, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Mine has done this before as well and originally I thought it was heat related but since then I have moved everything to a nicer cabinet and added some external amplification for future speakers and the delay still pops up but it never under performs from what I can see. Still curious if there is a technical glitch!!!
post #3193 of 3259 Old 01-09-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:

And it stays that way, with the blue light on for how long? Mine started delaying its entry into full standby mode after watching HDMI sources. After watching a movie on the PS3, for example, a power off will result in a click with the display turning off, but the blue light remains on. A tiny while later it turns off. I read others experiencing the same thing, so I guess it's normal. No problems other than that strangeness.

It's a thermal delay & is normal. Staying on permanently is not.
post #3194 of 3259 Old 01-10-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

One would think that, but mine still delays even after say, going from watching a bluray one evening (kinda loud)...then playing usb audio all night at very, very low volume. When I power down the next morning, I still get a delay. I may experiment one day and let some music play at loud volumes for a couple of hours, and see what happens when I power off. I just thought it was performing some kind of HDMI 'clean up'.

Where did the info for it being a thermal delay come from?

bg
post #3195 of 3259 Old 01-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
All of the lights on my 01 go off when I power it off.

There's nothing to see here.

post #3196 of 3259 Old 01-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No, that is what mine USED to do (shut completely down after a while), but now the display goes dark and the blue power light remains on until I turn the power back on to use the AVR.

Should I do a reset? I don't really want to, but this light is kinda driving me nuts.
post #3197 of 3259 Old 01-11-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post

No, that is what mine USED to do (shut completely down after a while), but now the display goes dark and the blue power light remains on until I turn the power back on to use the AVR.

Should I do a reset? I don't really want to, but this light is kinda driving me nuts.

If there is a HDMI device plugged in the back of your unit, is that device left on?
post #3198 of 3259 Old 01-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

If there is a HDMI device plugged in the back of your unit, is that device left on?

No, everything, but the AVR, shuts down as it should.
post #3199 of 3259 Old 01-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Is your zone 2 on? Can't remember if that is on and the main zone is off if the blue light stays on. Just a thought.
post #3200 of 3259 Old 01-11-2012, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

^^^ I thought of that too, and I believe I made sure Zone 2 was indeed off, but I can double check that tonight when I'm home.
post #3201 of 3259 Old 01-11-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unavol View Post

All of the lights on my 01 go off when I power it off.

Mine did so the first several times I used it. But once it started the delay to standby after watching a blu-ray, it's continued. I need to pay more attention to what it does with every source. It performs just fine, otherwise. So I'm not worried about it. Now, if it acted like GRAW's and never turned of the blue light, I'd be worried.

Oh, I just realized that my 03 doesn't behave this way. I'll pay attention to it too to make sure.

bg
post #3202 of 3259 Old 01-27-2012, 07:11 PM

Found my old Micro Seiki turntable in the garage. Any advice on how to hook this up? What input would handle the lower signal & would I need a preamp?
Retro is in!
post #3203 of 3259 Old 01-27-2012, 07:30 PM

You need something like this so you can hook the turntable up to the cd inputs:

http://www.amazon.com/Madisson-Pream...pr_product_top
post #3204 of 3259 Old 01-27-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post

You need something like this so you can hook the turntable up to the cd inputs:

http://www.amazon.com/Madisson-Pream...pr_product_top

At that price it's a no brainer
Thanks for the link
post #3205 of 3259 Old 03-12-2012, 12:41 PM

Hi, i usually like to try and solve my problems by myself but unfortunately i am completely stumped. i own the VSX-01TX and recently picked up a epson 8350 projector. i wanna have both that and my samsung plasma hooked up as displays. i have the projector hooked up through hdmi and was thinking i would hook up the tv with the component output but cannot get any video. most of my devices are hooked up using hdmi, such as the ps3 and xbox. any help would be much appreciated.
post #3206 of 3259 Old 03-12-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedxman86 View Post

Hi, i usually like to try and solve my problems by myself but unfortunately i am completely stumped. i own the VSX-01TX and recently picked up a epson 8350 projector. i wanna have both that and my samsung plasma hooked up as displays. i have the projector hooked up through hdmi and was thinking i would hook up the tv with the component output but cannot get any video. most of my devices are hooked up using hdmi, such as the ps3 and xbox. any help would be much appreciated.

I believe that in order to use the Component Outputs, you'll need to hook your equipment up to any of the analog inputs (Component, S-Video, Composite), not HDMI. The AVR can only send HDMI inputs to HDMI outputs. It should, however, up convert the analog inputs to HDMI out.
post #3207 of 3259 Old 03-12-2012, 02:06 PM

Hey guys, I have the 01THX and I'm trying to figure out a way to independently control zone 2 through an external receiver. I have everything working fine with zone 1, but the signal won't transfer when selected in zone 2. I'm thinking about wiring it up to the pre-amp out, but still not sure if that will work. Does anyone know how to do this while keeping 7.1 (not switching zone 2 to the SR speakers)?
post #3208 of 3259 Old 03-13-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlacefield View Post

Hey guys, I have the 01THX and I'm trying to figure out a way to independently control zone 2 through an external receiver. I have everything working fine with zone 1, but the signal won't transfer when selected in zone 2. I'm thinking about wiring it up to the pre-amp out, but still not sure if that will work. Does anyone know how to do this while keeping 7.1 (not switching zone 2 to the SR speakers)?

On my 03THX, I have a separate amp hooked up to the zone 2 analog outputs. This allows me to maintain 7.1 in my home theater room. You have to remember that only analog signals are sent to the zone 2 outputs, so you have to connect your source via composite (red/white) cables in order to get it's sound output to zone 2. Anything connected via HDMI only will not work.
post #3209 of 3259 Old 03-13-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone using an iPhone or iPod Touch or any iOS5 device with these? I rarely use the iPod Direct connection, but now I'm using it and I'm guessing since the 5.0 update the receiver can't select the files. Right now I have to select the playlist or songs I wanna play on the iPod Touch and then switch back to controlling with the AVR's remote, but the AVR still can't read song information like title, artist, status bar, etc. It could have also been 5.1, but 5.0 is more likely.
post #3210 of 3259 Old 03-23-2012, 08:23 PM

Anyone guess the outcome of plugging in one of those inexpensive USB turntables to the front ipod port? Will it work?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page