Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3261 Old 10-12-2008, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

NYC Guy -- How is the TV signal (video and audio) sent to your AVR?

If the audio is not sent through either the optical input or the HDMI connection, then you will not get 5.1 channel sound.

If you are using the HDMI connection for both audio and video, you have to select HDMI Audio as your audio source (and then the audio to the optical connection will, also, be output as 2-channel stereo).

It can be kind of complicated (because there are so many options), but it is explained in your manual.

I have a HDMI cable going straight to the Kuro 111FD from the HD DVR and a optical cable from the HD DVR to the 01 receiver. I did it this way so that I don't always have to have the receiver on to listen to the TV.

Are you saying that I should now set the 01 receiver to "HDMI audio" even though I don't have a HDMI cable going to it from the DVR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3261 Old 10-12-2008, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just bought a VSX-03 and am having a weird problem. I have an LG BH-200 Blu Ray/HD DVD player, set to passthrough and run to my receiver via HDMI. When I watch a Blu-Ray with DTS-HD it only plays in standard DTS, and when I watch an HD-DVD and run it in Dolby TrueHD it switches to 2 channel stereo for some reason. This is with the receiver running on stream direct. Any ideas?
post #363 of 3261 Old 10-12-2008, 08:24 AM

Liked: 11
the LG BH-200 can not send dts-hd over hdmi, you have to switch it to pcm.

it will internally and is able to just stream the DD + but not dts hd

Pioneer = Sound.Vision.Soul
Klipsch = Power.Detail.Emotion
Harmony = Pioneer Elite + Klipsch
post #364 of 3261 Old 10-12-2008, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Guy View Post

I have a HDMI cable going straight to the Kuro 111FD from the HD DVR and a optical cable from the HD DVR to the 01 receiver. I did it this way so that I don't always have to have the receiver on to listen to the TV.

Are you saying that I should now set the 01 receiver to "HDMI audio" even though I don't have a HDMI cable going to it from the DVR?

No. Under your circumstances (cable HDMI to Kuro & optical to the AVR) you have it set up correctly.

However, your cable box may well limit the optical connection to 2-channel stereo when the HDMI output is being used. This is a requirement of HDCP (the copy protection limitations foisted on us by legislation promoted by the movie studios), and is what the Pioneer's AVRs are required to do. You should contact your cable company to verify this (if it's not in the cable box's manual).

There may be another possibility. Unfortunately, I looked through the VSX-01TXH manual and couldn't find it. The possibility is that you connect your cable box to your 01 and from the 01 to your Kuro, all using HDMI cables. If you set the 01 to the "Through" mode, you "should" (???) be able to use your Kuro without the 01 being turned on. Some of the Pioneer AVRs can do this, I'm just not sure the 01 can (or my 92 either). If it does work, then you will be able to hear 5.1 surround sound both ways.

Another way to do it is to connect your cable box to the 01 and Kuro, as mentioned above and also with the cable box's component outputs & optical audio direct to your Kuro. That way, you can use it either way with no loss of sound quality, and will be able to watch TV on the Kuro, with your 01 turned off, by switching inputs on the Kuro. BTW, I plan on doing this with my setup, after I get my 92 completely installed (I have a DirecTV DVR and the video quality is identical between HDMI and Component inputs on my non-Kuro HDTV).

ScottyE83 -- Check your LG BH-200 manual. It may explain what your options are.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #365 of 3261 Old 10-12-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:

No. Under your circumstances (cable HDMI to Kuro & optical to the AVR) you have it set up correctly.

However, your cable box may well limit the optical connection to 2-channel stereo when the HDMI output is being used. This is a requirement of HDCP (the copy protection limitations foisted on us by legislation promoted by the movie studios), and is what the Pioneer's AVRs are required to do. You should contact your cable company to verify this (if it's not in the cable box's manual).

There may be another possibility. Unfortunately, I looked through the VSX-01TXH manual and couldn't find it. The possibility is that you connect your cable box to your 01 and from the 01 to your Kuro, all using HDMI cables. If you set the 01 to the "Through" mode, you "should" (???) be able to use your Kuro without the 01 being turned on. Some of the Pioneer AVRs can do this, I'm just not sure the 01 can (or my 92 either). If it does work, then you will be able to hear 5.1 surround sound both ways.

Another way to do it is to connect your cable box to the 01 and Kuro, as mentioned above and also with the cable box's component outputs & optical audio direct to your Kuro. That way, you can use it either way with no loss of sound quality, and will be able to watch TV on the Kuro, with your 01 turned off, by switching inputs on the Kuro. BTW, I plan on doing this with my setup, after I get my 92 completely installed (I have a DirecTV DVR and the video quality is identical between HDMI and Component inputs on my non-Kuro HDTV).

Pioneer tech support told me the other day that even with my cable setup I should definitely receive 5.1 using the optical cable from the DVR to the 01 and having it set to "Auto Surround". I didn't have time to test it out when they were on the phone and when I tried later it didn't work. That is why I am stymied.

Currently I have to set the 01 to "Dolby Pro Logic" under the "standard" button settings on the remote to receive a 5.1 signal from a TV show.
post #366 of 3261 Old 10-12-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:

I finally figured it out. I have a Motorola 3416 HD DVR. I went into the audio settings for the DVR and it was set to "Pulse Code Modulated". I switched it to "Dolby Digital" and it is now working correctly. Thanks for making the statement about the cable box or I would never have thought of it as being the culprit. Also, thanks for taking the time and helping me out in this matter.
post #367 of 3261 Old 10-13-2008, 09:25 AM

Ok, so reading a few pages of this I have finally found that the Pioneer VSX-01TXH does not upconvert anything via HDMI. So does this mean that instead of using an HDMI cable to go from my HD cable box to the receiver, that I should use the component cables so the receiver will upconvert the 1080i signal from the box to 1080p?
post #368 of 3261 Old 10-13-2008, 09:42 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outc4sted View Post

Ok, so reading a few pages of this I have finally found that the Pioneer VSX-01TXH does not upconvert anything via HDMI. So does this mean that instead of using an HDMI cable to go from my HD cable box to the receiver, that I should use the component cables so the receiver will upconvert the 1080i signal from the box to 1080p?

What's the native resolution of your Tv? If it's 1080p then the TV is converting it for you. I guess you can try both ways but I don't think you will be able to perceive a difference in PQ.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Pioneer Elite AVR
Energy Connoisseur Series Speakers
SVS Sub
Xbox360
Panasonic Blu-ray
Apple TV3
post #369 of 3261 Old 10-13-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdspringer98 View Post

What's the native resolution of your Tv? If it's 1080p then the TV is converting it for you. I guess you can try both ways but I don't think you will be able to perceive a difference in PQ.

Yeah my TV is 1080p. So if my tv converts it, then whats the purpose of things like receivers or upconverting DVD players?
post #370 of 3261 Old 10-13-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:

Yeah my TV is 1080p. So if my tv converts it, then whats the purpose of things like receivers or upconverting DVD players?

The purpose of a scaler in receivers, DVD/Blu-ray players, and video processors is to provide another scaling option if your display does an inferior job.

Sure, a display will take a 480 signal and display 1080 (if that's the native resolution) but how well it creates those extra lines of resolution is the question. I get 1080 lines if I just run my DVD player to my TV, the same as my current signal path which includes a video processor, but there is definitely a difference in picture quality, even though the resolution is the same.

Therefore, the question you have to ask yourself is whether your display or your component does a better job of scaling, and having a receiver that scales adds another choice. I would think most people prefer a "well known" scaling solution (Reon/Realta, Faroudja, Qdeo, ABT VRS, etc.) to an "unknown" one in a display, but you should try all options and decide which you prefer.

(I am aware that many displays, such as the Pioneer Kuro line, have excellent scalers. I am just saying that many displays, like my own, can't compete with external scalers.)
post #371 of 3261 Old 10-14-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:

I've been happy with the performance of my Sony TV for scaling, I went with this receiver for it's audio performance and to support the HD audio tracks on Blu-ray. Very pleased indeed.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Pioneer Elite AVR
SVS Sub
Xbox360
Panasonic Blu-ray
Apple TV3
post #372 of 3261 Old 10-14-2008, 07:44 PM

As a heads up- not sure if your local tweeter as this on clearance, but apparently a local guy told me the receiver is now SUPER LOW at tweeter!!!
im gonna pick it up!
post #373 of 3261 Old 10-15-2008, 06:56 AM

My 01 was just delivered on Monday but it's so tall it won't fit in my older A/V rack where my Yamaha model previously called home. Anybody have any suggestions on a good rack that doesn't cost a fortune? Most of the ones I've priced seem a bit excessive in price for the purpose they serve. What kinds of set-ups are you guys using? I was all excited to get it up and running... what a kill joy!!!
post #374 of 3261 Old 10-15-2008, 06:10 PM

Just got the 03 and set it up last night...

It is replacing a Pioneer Elite 74 - do you think I'll notice the loss in power? The 74 was 140 x 7... Is it worth the price to go up to the next level Pioneer Elite receiver?

The new remote seems like a big step down over the old one... Is there a way to set it up to run my DirecTV DVR?
post #375 of 3261 Old 10-17-2008, 12:57 AM
Advanced Member

Just set my 01 up and love the bass it puts out and the sound as well, way better than my 805 I got rid of. I do have one concern though, I lose hdmi connection (audio/video) 3 or 4 times before watching a blu-ray or dvd. Once the movie starts it is fine though. Going through the previews and menus is when does it. I also hear a small crackle/pop noise outta the speakers sometimes while hitting next chapter, skip, etc. I'm wondering if the ps3 is just not playing nice. I have PS3 hooked up to BD HDMI in and am using HDMI cord in HDMI out slot going to projector. Just wanted to see if all the drops before movies was normal occurence or not?
post #376 of 3261 Old 10-17-2008, 07:52 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Indy View Post

Just set my 01 up and love the bass it puts out and the sound as well, way better than my 805 I got rid of. I do have one concern though, I lose hdmi connection (audio/video) 3 or 4 times before watching a blu-ray or dvd. Once the movie starts it is fine though. Going through the previews and menus is when does it. I also hear a small crackle/pop noise outta the speakers sometimes while hitting next chapter, skip, etc. I'm wondering if the ps3 is just not playing nice. I have PS3 hooked up to BD HDMI in and am using HDMI cord in HDMI out slot going to projector. Just wanted to see if all the drops before movies was normal occurence or not?

This happens to me too (though not with the noises, mine is pretty silent). Not sure if it's "normal" but at least you know there's one other person experiencing the same thing. And I've tried various HDMI cables, doesn't seem to help.
post #377 of 3261 Old 10-17-2008, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Indy View Post

I have an 01 too and I was having a similar problem with my DirecTV receiver. When I changed channels between HD and SD, the 01 would blank out video and audio for a few seconds. I think it was happening because of the resolution change on the channels (ie - 720p <-> 480i). I changed the receiver to a fixed resolution output (one that matches my display) and now I don't have that problem anymore when changing channels.

I've heard of similar audio problems when the broadcast audio changes from DD 5.1 to 2 channel or whatever.

Hope this helps...
post #378 of 3261 Old 10-17-2008, 10:07 AM

I am wondering if anyone can confirm if video settings can be adjusted and saved per video input on the 03 or if it's only a macro adjustment for brightness, contrast, color.

I have the 03 and am not sending any video through it, but if it can save custom video settings by input I may start sending video through.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Pioneer Elite AVR
SVS Sub
Xbox360
Panasonic Blu-ray
Apple TV3
post #379 of 3261 Old 10-17-2008, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdspringer98 View Post

I am wondering if anyone can confirm if video settings can be adjusted and saved per video input on the 03 or if it's only a macro adjustment for brightness, contrast, color.

I have the 03 and am not sending any video through it, but if it can save custom video settings by input I may start sending video through.

Per the manual: "Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Chroma, Resolution and Aspect can be set for each input source."
post #380 of 3261 Old 10-17-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzyJ View Post

Anybody have any suggestions on a good rack that doesn't cost a fortune?

I just bought a pair of Sanus NF206's. homefurnituresavings.com is a little cheaper than other etailers, and they ship fast. They don't respond to email, but they do answer their telephone promptly during their east coast business hours.

The 206's come in cherry and black finish hardwood. You can download a pdf of dimensions from the Sanus website. I think they are made of maple. The black is not a piano black. You can still see the natural woodgrain. They come flat in a box, but assembly is not too bad. I spent as much time windexing the glass shelves as I did putting it together.

The same etailer also sells Techcraft and Bello.
post #381 of 3261 Old 10-18-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxjnorto View Post

I just bought a pair of Sanus NF206's. homefurnituresavings.com is a little cheaper than other etailers, and they ship fast. They don't respond to email, but they do answer their telephone promptly during their east coast business hours.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I have a temporary solution for now so I can least use the unit and get it up and running.

Another question... are you folks satisfied with the Faroudja upscaling/deinterlacing performance of your receiver? I tried out a 480i Y/Pb/Pr connection from an ancient trusty DVD player and the pic looked terrible. My Samsung A650 does a better job which was surprising. BTW- I posted a similar question in he other Pioneer receiver thread.
post #382 of 3261 Old 10-18-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:

ancient trusty

Let it rest in peace. Blu-ray is more than six times the resolution. If you've ever messed around with image processing (Adobe Photoshop and the like) you find out that you can't make something out of nothing. Upscalers do what is called interpolation, which is simply an algorithm that predicts what hue/grayscale/saturation the intervening pixels would most likely be. In other words, most of the picture is invented by a bunch of fancy math. That's why an upscaled picture will always appear blurry. Even my 1280x720 TV appears blurry to me now next to 1920x1080.
post #383 of 3261 Old 10-18-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxjnorto View Post

Let it rest in peace. Blu-ray is more than six times the resolution. If you've ever messed around with image processing (Adobe Photoshop and the like) you find out that you can't make something out of nothing. Upscalers do what is called interpolation, which is simply an algorithm that predicts what hue/grayscale/saturation the intervening pixels would most likely be. In other words, most of the picture is invented by a bunch of fancy math. That's why an upscaled picture will always appear blurry. Even my 1280x720 TV appears blurry to me now next to 1920x1080.

I fully understand all that but I'm talking about watching my regular DVDs. I am not about to repurchase every single title on Blu-Ray- just the favorites. My point was I thought DCDi was supposed to good but it seems worse than my TVs processing. I am trying to see which of the three (TV, receiver or BR player) pieces of equipment gives the best performance. I have a Sony BDP-S350 but if I use the HDMI out, the Pioneer will not touch the signal. In order to see if the Pioneer's performance is superior than the Sony's, I used my old 480i DVD player.
post #384 of 3261 Old 10-18-2008, 05:11 PM

Guys quick question before I make my decision... how does the auto-setup compare to the audessee in the onkyos/denons? This is the only thing holding me back from purchasing this receiver right now... thanks!
post #385 of 3261 Old 10-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Changing the output resolution isn't possible for my situation since I'm using HDMI with Blu-ray and dvd and it won't let you change the resolution (don't need to as it's 1080p already) and it won't let me go into video parameters to adjust anything. I usually get audio but no video and then video finally comes on. For instance I just put in Indy blu-ray and heard the THX startup that comes on before the movie but there was no video only blue screen. After about 5 seconds or so the video finally came on.
post #386 of 3261 Old 10-19-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:

I have a Sony BDP-S350 but if I use the HDMI out, the Pioneer will not touch the signal. In order to see if the Pioneer's performance is superior than the Sony's, I used my old 480i DVD player.

Let us know what you decide. It seems that the BDP-S350 would do the best job since it is built to play video discs. (Despite Faroudja, which sounds like something great, but is probably some guy's name.)

I should make a correction. Blu-ray is not more than six times the resolution of 480p (720x480) it IS six times exactly. (1920x1080 is 2.25 times the number of pixels of 1280x720.) I know there's all kinds of other details with compression and what not that affect picture quality too. Once a superior format comes along the old format is just that - old. I wouldn't buy a piece of equipment based on its upscaler. SD looks terrible on my 1280x720 TV, so I got rid of it as soon as I could. Now all I have to complain about is Dish's sometimes horribly compressed "HD lite." (Voom was much better.) One of the worst offenders is TNT. They stretch pan and scan versions of movies to widescreen. My guess is they want on the bandwagon but don't care about HD or PQ at all. I honestly can't watch it. If I watch it at all, I have to shrink it back to what it is.
post #387 of 3261 Old 10-19-2008, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKfromLA View Post

Guys quick question before I make my decision... how does the auto-setup compare to the audessee in the onkyos/denons? This is the only thing holding me back from purchasing this receiver right now... thanks!

Not sure there can be a definitive answer. If you judge by reviews, it's a personal choice. Some reviewers favor Audyssey, others like MCACC better. A few don't like either.

Some like the idea of Audyssey's multiple point averaging while others prefer to get idealized results for one "sweet spot" rather than a compromise that may suit more listening positions, but may not be the "best" solution for any of them. Probably depends on your listening situation.

Personally, I've been very favorably impressed with how MCACC tamed my acoustical nightmare room.
post #388 of 3261 Old 10-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

No question MCACC is better, atleast to me. I had Onkyo 805 and used audyssey but never could be extremely happy with the results given. Just got Pio Elite 01, ran MCACC one time and thus far am blown away by my audio experience now. Plus Onkyo's run EXTREMELY hot and have a few other issues here and there. Just coming from an Onkyo to a Pio I would say go Pio and don't look back.
post #389 of 3261 Old 10-19-2008, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Best current place to order the VSX01TXH from...?

thanks!
post #390 of 3261 Old 10-19-2008, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Do any of you guys who own the elite know which type of dac the 03 has? I was sold on one of these until I could not find out what kind it has.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page