Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3261 Old 11-14-2008, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by berty52 View Post

I had to lower the volume of my PC-Ultra at 25% (9 oclock) and after that MCACC did the job. MCACC set my front to large but I manualy put them to small and everything sound great. Great receiver for the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

#2. -- According to Velodyne (see the Velodyne thread in the Subwoofer, etc. Forum), the recommended setting for their subs is in the 25% to 35% range. I set mine to about 30% and got very close to a perfect setting using MCACC. Setting the sub gain control too high puts the built-in amp too close to its automatic limiting level, and reduces the amount of headroom for the sub's amplifier. Setting it to zero results in no sub-woofer output.

#3 -- It should help, but not if the levels are too much different. This problem is not unique to Comcast, and is especially bothersome when the program audio level is fine, but the commercial is recorded at 20dB higher in volume (which happens on a few channels on our DirecTV service). Complaining to the TV service provider results in a lot of "finger pointing". Generally, it's basically the fault of the Broadcast Network, when they don't monitor their feeds (or chose to ignore the FCC standards/guidelines) to the TV service provider. However, each service provider does have some responsibility for maintaining consistent audio levels across different channels (and they will continue to shirk that responsibility as long as the FCC lets them "get away with it").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

A quirk of MCACC is that it sets most main speakers to Large. Just change them to Small manually as you did, and you'll be fine. If you run MCACC again, it'll just change them back to Large.

As others have mentioned, most subs should be set at about their 9:00 setting, or about 30% of maximum, although this can vary by sub, room, and main speaker efficiency. Ideally, MCACC should set the sub channel level to somewhere between 0 and -5 (not a critical reading, but a good rule of thumb). This provides the necessary headroom described above without introducing preamp gain and potential increased distortion.

Again, as previously mentioned, the difference in volume is caused by the broadcasters. Various circuits have been designed to try to offset that, but most seem to do more harm than good (often overly compressing dynamic range). It isn't just cable or satellite sources either. Our local CBS station broadcasts OTA about 3dB louder than the others. Annoying.

Commercials aren't usually louder than the surrounding programming, they only sound that way because their dynamic range is highly compressed so voices are near the maximum broadcast levels (reserved for the loudest noises, like explosions, on the main programs). Some sitcoms and local newscasts do this too.

Thank you very much guys.I had the volume at about 50% and it set the sub to -7.I will try 30% and re-run MCACC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3261 Old 11-14-2008, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_stargazer View Post

I would suggest using the Compare option on the Pioneer website for the easiest way to look at the two, side-by-side from a tech specs standpoint...

(Note: Don't believe the spec that says the 01/03 don't decode DD and dts...because they definitely do.)

But beware that the comparison chart is not 100% accurate (the DD/DTS feature you mentioned being one example). Before deciding that a feature that is important to a buyer is missing, he should inspect the brochure and operating manual as well.
post #453 of 3261 Old 11-14-2008, 08:23 AM

I just re-ran the MCACC with the sub set to 3.Now it has the sub at +3 so I will listen for a while and see how I like it.I checked to see how MCACC did with the speaker distance settings and it got all my speakers within 1" which I think is pretty impressive.
post #454 of 3261 Old 11-15-2008, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have an issue with the 01 when watching TV for shows & movies that are supposed to be 5.1 broadcasts. I have set the 01 to "auto surround" and when viewing these shows the 01 shows that the signal is only being transmitted in stereo. Nothing comes out of my center or two rear speakers. What am I doing wrong?
post #455 of 3261 Old 11-15-2008, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Guy View Post

I have an issue with the 01 when watching TV for shows & movies that are supposed to be 5.1 broadcasts. I have set the 01 to "auto surround" and when viewing these shows the 01 shows that the signal is only being transmitted in stereo. Nothing comes out of my center or two rear speakers. What am I doing wrong?

A few questions:

- What is your source: a cable box or an over the air tuner?
- Connected by HDMI or optical?
- Do you have any way of knowing if your source is putting out 5.1?
(like connecting up to another receiver)

Paul Meyer
Bee Cave (Austin), TX

The MeyerHT is open for business!
post #456 of 3261 Old 11-15-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Make sure the source says DD 5.1 and not just DD.I noticed if it just says DD,then I have the same thing happen to me.
post #457 of 3261 Old 11-15-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeyer View Post

A few questions:

- What is your source: a cable box or an over the air tuner?
- Connected by HDMI or optical?
- Do you have any way of knowing if your source is putting out 5.1?
(like connecting up to another receiver)

A Motorola 3416 HD-DVR. I am using a optical cable from the DVR to the 01 and a HDMI cable from the DVR to my Kuro 111FD.

As for the source, this is happening on every major network show and also on all of my premium movie channels like HBO, Cinemax & Showtime when the cable guide and also the beginning of the broadcast says it is 5.1.
post #458 of 3261 Old 11-15-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post

Make sure the source says DD 5.1 and not just DD.I noticed if it just says DD,then I have the same thing happen to me.

I am making doubly sure that both the cable guide and also the beginning of the show I am watching both say DD 5.1. However it is still being broadcast in stereo. Correct me if I am wrong but if the 01 is set to "auto surround" this should automatically happen and I should be receiving 5.1 signals for these types of broadcasts.

In fact when I first set up my 01 with the MCACC and spoke to Pioneer tech support over an issue I had with the volume on my SW they stated that this should happen without me having to do anything else with the settings on the 01.
post #459 of 3261 Old 11-15-2008, 12:25 PM

OK, I found the culprit, it was the DVR's settings and not the 01's. Somehow in the audio settings section on the 3416, the setting for digital output was switched from "Dolby Digital" to "Pulse Code Modulated". It wasn't like this when I first setup the receiver and connected it to the DVR and somehow it was changed (not by me).

By the way, under the "Dynamic Range" section the DVR gives me a choice of narrow, medium and wide. Which would be the best setting for the 01 to receive?
post #460 of 3261 Old 11-15-2008, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

----- SNIP -----
By the way, under the "Dynamic Range" section the DVR gives me a choice of narrow, medium and wide. Which would be the best setting for the 01 to receive?

That controls the amount of dynamic range compression being used.

The "narrow" setting should give you the least dynamic range (the most compression of the audio range - great for listening at low volume levels). The "wide" setting would be preferred, since it give you the most dynamic range (and likely no compression).

The down-side, of using the "wide" setting, is that very quiet passages may be hard to hear, if your volume isn't turned up (which also may result in loud commercials blasting you out of the house). Which setting you use depends on your preferences and viewing habits.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #461 of 3261 Old 11-16-2008, 05:46 AM

what URC code are you guys using for 01? i have the URC 850 model.

advise, TIA.
post #462 of 3261 Old 11-16-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

That controls the amount of dynamic range compression being used.

The "narrow" setting should give you the least dynamic range (the most compression of the audio range - great for listening at low volume levels). The "wide" setting would be preferred, since it give you the most dynamic range (and likely no compression).

The down-side, of using the "wide" setting, is that very quiet passages may be hard to hear, if your volume isn't turned up (which also may result in loud commercials blasting you out of the house). Which setting you use depends on your preferences and viewing habits.

So in theory if I set it at medium won't I have the best of both worlds for normal broadcast material?
post #463 of 3261 Old 11-16-2008, 07:24 AM

If I connect a DISH DVR, a Toshiba HD DVD, and a Samsung Blu Ray by BOTH a HDMI cable AND also Component Video/Analog Audio cables THEN will the VSX-01 send out the Component HD Video and audio to a 2nd TV in a room right below where the receiver will sit?

I would like for the main room to be hooked up by the HDMI to the TV but still send the same signals out by the Component Cables to another room's TV. So as long as I have both HDMI and Component cables running into the Pioneer then will the Pioneer output signal by BOTH the HDMI and Component Outputs?
post #464 of 3261 Old 11-19-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVOL View Post

If I connect a DISH DVR, a Toshiba HD DVD, and a Samsung Blu Ray by BOTH a HDMI cable AND also Component Video/Analog Audio cables THEN will the VSX-01 send out the Component HD Video and audio to a 2nd TV in a room right below where the receiver will sit?

I would like for the main room to be hooked up by the HDMI to the TV but still send the same signals out by the Component Cables to another room's TV. So as long as I have both HDMI and Component cables running into the Pioneer then will the Pioneer output signal by BOTH the HDMI and Component Outputs?

It is possible but you will have to use twice the inputs (2x3) for your 3 devices on the receiver.

Here's how:

1 - Use HDMI connections for the following inputs:
Bluray player --> BD
HD-DVD player --> HDMI1
Dish DVR --> HDMI2

2- Use component connection for following inputs:
Bluray player --> DVD, assign Component1, Coax1 (assuming that your bluray player has Coax out available)
HD-DVD player --> TV SAT, assign Component2, Optical1
Dish DVR --> DVR1, assign Component3, Optical2
You can see the various connection combinations on page 70 of the manual http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...ctions0523.pdf

For each input using the component connections 2), make sure to enable Video conversion by hitting Video Parameter button on the remote and set AV. Conv to On. This will enable the video to be displayed through the HDMI output of the receiver when an input using component is selected. I would also set the video parameter RES to Pure so the receiver will pass through the video unchanged.

With the connections above, the TV in the main room should be connected to the HDMI output of the receiver. The TV in the second should be connected to the component output of the receiver.

When you just want to watch the TV in the main room only, just select any input from connections 1) above. The picture should be nicer in general since it's connected through HDMI.
When you want to watch on both TVs at the same time or just the TV in the second room, just select any input from connections 2) above.

Hope this helps.
post #465 of 3261 Old 11-19-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwayfan View Post

It is possible but you will have to use twice the inputs (2x3) for your 3 devices on the receiver.

Here's how:

1 - Use HDMI connections for the following inputs:
Bluray player --> BD
HD-DVD player --> HDMI1
Dish DVR --> HDMI2

2- Use component connection for following inputs:
Bluray player --> DVD, assign Component1, Coax1 (assuming that your bluray player has Coax out available)
HD-DVD player --> TV SAT, assign Component2, Optical1
Dish DVR --> DVR1, assign Component3, Optical2
You can see the various connection combinations on page 70 of the manual http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...ctions0523.pdf

For each input using the component connections 2), make sure to enable Video conversion by hitting Video Parameter button on the remote and set AV. Conv to On. This will enable the video to be displayed through the HDMI output of the receiver when an input using component is selected. I would also set the video parameter RES to Pure so the receiver will pass through the video unchanged.

With the connections above, the TV in the main room should be connected to the HDMI output of the receiver. The TV in the second should be connected to the component output of the receiver.

When you just want to watch the TV in the main room only, just select any input from connections 1) above. The picture should be nicer in general since it's connected through HDMI.
When you want to watch on both TVs at the same time or just the TV in the second room, just select any input from connections 2) above.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, that is very helpful. One thing more on audio to the second room TV. The Video is going to the 2nd room TV via Component but which audio do I use going to 2nd room TV since I am hooking up the audio to the Pioneer by Optical and Coaxial inputs from the 3 components mentioned. Will the 2nd room audio by the analog outputs work or would I have ANOTHER hookup for analog audio by each component to the Pioneer so it could send out audio to the 2nd room.
post #466 of 3261 Old 11-20-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVOL View Post

Thanks, that is very helpful. One thing more on audio to the second room TV. The Video is going to the 2nd room TV via Component but which audio do I use going to 2nd room TV since I am hooking up the audio to the Pioneer by Optical and Coaxial inputs from the 3 components mentioned. Will the 2nd room audio by the analog outputs work or would I have ANOTHER hookup for analog audio by each component to the Pioneer so it could send out audio to the 2nd room.

I haven't experienced with the audio yet take look in the owner's manual page 62. You can use Zone 2 listening mode to send the audio to the second room. You can set the surround back (assuming your current setup for the main room is 5.1) speakers plugs to be used for Zone 2 listening. You will then plug your speakers in the second room to the surround back plugs.
It should work.

Good luck.
post #467 of 3261 Old 11-21-2008, 12:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
how does the 01 compare to the denon 2808 or the onkyo 806? Power wise? does the sound from the 01 sound clean and warm? How is the THX mode? Any issues? Im really considering this reciever, please let me know. thanks!
post #468 of 3261 Old 11-21-2008, 05:46 AM

Very excited . Just picked up a new unopened VSX-03TXH from authorized dealer Sound Advice / Tweeter for their liquidation price of 720.00. Can't wait to install this weekend. I will be using it as a preamp for my NAD T973 seven channel power amp.

Quick question on AUTO MCACC. Looking through the manual, it says to set the subwoofer volume at a comfortable level, however, it never mentions what to set the receiver volume at before starting the MCACC. Does this mean that it does not matter where the receiver volume is set before starting?

Also not sure whether to let the Sony S550 decode or pass that function on down to the Pioneer? So many choices to make .

Thanks.

Stephen
post #469 of 3261 Old 11-21-2008, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrTAPOUT View Post

how does the 01 compare to the denon 2808 or the onkyo 806? Power wise? does the sound from the 01 sound clean and warm? How is the THX mode? Any issues? Im really considering this reciever, please let me know. thanks!

Never had any of the aforementioned receivers, but I will tell you about the THX mode. Yeah some will say its all hype and probably some of it is, but with THX Select2 Cinema mode on, Transformers' dialogue is quiet as a mouse, they are almost whispering, Perfectly clear and present, and BOOM!!!! The whole house shakes!.......And I realize since I can now listen to movies at reference that I need a newer and better subwoofer.

I have the 03, but its mostly the same as the 01. I was cautious about the "elite" just being an overpriced pio, but I have been thoroughly impressed. It even put a grin on my brother's (audiophile) face which was worth the price paid alone..........

I'll bet similar chest beating is happening over in the onk/yam/dennon forums right now.........
post #470 of 3261 Old 11-21-2008, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatlinburger View Post

Very excited . Just picked up a new unopened VSX-03TXH from authorized dealer Sound Advice / Tweeter for their liquidation price of 720.00. Can't wait to install this weekend. I will be using it as a preamp for my NAD T973 seven channel power amp.

Quick question on AUTO MCACC. Looking through the manual, it says to set the subwoofer volume at a comfortable level, however, it never mentions what to set the receiver volume at before starting the MCACC. Does this mean that it does not matter where the receiver volume is set before starting?

Also not sure whether to let the Sony S550 decode or pass that function on down to the Pioneer? So many choices to make .

Thanks.

I think about 50% is standard for the sub, and doesn't matter about the setting on the receiver. Make sure you go and use the Auto MCCAC Expert setup. The quick setup is crap. I almost took mine back before I found the goodness of "Expert" setup.

This thing has way more tweaker features than I will ever understand or use.

As far as decoding, IDK, I am still waiting for someone to tell me what brand/model the DACs are in this thing. All the other manufacturers are Bragging BB, or Wolfson, I still don't know what I have under the hood....
post #471 of 3261 Old 11-21-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

I think about 50% is standard for the sub, and doesn't matter about the setting on the receiver. Make sure you go and use the Auto MCCAC Expert setup. The quick setup is crap. I almost took mine back before I found the goodness of "Expert" setup.

This thing has way more tweaker features than I will ever understand or use.

As far as decoding, IDK, I am still waiting for someone to tell me what brand/model the DACs are in this thing. All the other manufacturers are Bragging BB, or Wolfson, I still don't know what I have under the hood....

I tried 50% with my Velodyne and I wasn't happy.I moved it down to 30% and it worked out much better.I guess it depends on your sub.
post #472 of 3261 Old 11-21-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:

I tried 50% with my Velodyne and I wasn't happy.I moved it down to 30% and it worked out much better.I guess it depends on your sub.

Thanks. I've got two AV123 MFW15's on opposing sidewalls. I think my initial plan will be to unhook one of them and set it at the 30% level for my initial MCACC run.

Just thought of another MCAC question. Can the 01TXH/03TXH apply the MCACC setting while decoding a bitstreamed DTS HD Master or a Dolby TrueHD input? I know the consensus on the Marantz SR5003/SR6003 owners thread was that the Marantz cannot do this. Their workaround was to let the BD player do the decoding.

Stephen
post #473 of 3261 Old 11-21-2008, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...Quick question on AUTO MCACC. Looking through the manual, it says to set the subwoofer volume at a comfortable level, however, it never mentions what to set the receiver volume at before starting the MCACC. Does this mean that it does not matter where the receiver volume is set before starting?...

The sub level depends on several factors, the sub, the efficiency of the main speakers, the room, speaker placement, etc. Typically about 30% or 9-10:00 on the sub's gain control works as a good starting point. It may take a few adjustments, but if the MCACC is setting LFE in the (-5) to (0) range, the sub's gain setting is about right.

The receiver volume is automatically set by MCACC to its reference level, so it doesn't matter what the initial setting is.
post #474 of 3261 Old 11-21-2008, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

...I am still waiting for someone to tell me what brand/model the DACs are in this thing. All the other manufacturers are Bragging BB, or Wolfson, I still don't know what I have under the hood....

Over in the SC-05/07 thread, someone answered this.
Quote:

"I can assure you that both SC-05 and SC-07 are using the exact same Wolfson DACs. The VSX-01 and VSX-03 are also using identical Wolfson brand DACs, however they are of a slightly lower quality than the ones used in SC-05/07."

Apparently the information came from a member who opened the receivers to find out.
post #475 of 3261 Old 11-21-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Just thought of another MCAC question. Can the 01TXH/03TXH apply the MCACC EQ setting while decoding a bitstreamed DTS HD Master or a Dolby TrueHD input? I know the consensus on the Marantz SR5003/SR6003 owners thread was that the Marantz cannot do this. Their workaround was to let the BD player do the decoding.

Anyone with any experience listening to a DTS HD Master audio track being decoded on the Pioneer while using an MCACC EQ setting?

Stephen
post #476 of 3261 Old 11-21-2008, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
NicksHitachi -- A 50% gain control setting, on just about any sub, is too high. Velodyne, for instance, recommends the 25% to 35% range as the starting point.

The only time it should be raised is if the MCACC sets the subs volume (in the AVR) to +3dB or higher (or less than -3dB). In either case, the subs gain control should then be changed by 5% (at most), and the MCACC should be re-run. The reason is that the higher the sub gain control is, the less headroom is available in the sub's amp, and the closer you will be running to audio clipping (or overload/thermal shutdown).

Also, at 50% or higher, settings, the output from the AVR may be too low to trigger the "Auto- On/Off" feature, if your sub has that feature.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #477 of 3261 Old 11-21-2008, 09:01 PM

Is there a way to hook my old xbox with this type of cable 5 RCA Cable - Component Video & Audio

I have hooked up the component plugs but set the video input so that I can now see the picture, but I can't see where to plug in the L/R channel for sound.

Thanks for the help.
post #478 of 3261 Old 11-22-2008, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
From the vsx01 manual, page 13:

Quote:
9 Audio/video source inputs/(outputs) (x6)
Use for connection to audio/visual sources, such as DVD
players/recorders, VCRs, etc. Each set of inputs has jacks
for composite video, S-Video and stereo analog audio.
 See Connecting a DVD/HDD recorder, VCR and other
video sources on page 18.

In that section, there is an s-video input, a composite video input, and L/R audio for a variety of sources (TV, DVD, DVR1, DVR2). Pick on (say DVR1) and hook up your L/R audio there. You'll have to go to the system menus to tell it that you want to use one of the component videos instead of s-vid/composite for that source.

Paul Meyer
Bee Cave (Austin), TX

The MeyerHT is open for business!
post #479 of 3261 Old 11-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
which setting is recommend for best sound? dolby PL2? PCM direct? THX cinema? Also, which setting will add more bass? Thanks!
post #480 of 3261 Old 11-23-2008, 10:21 AM

Hi all-

I'm about to pull the trigger and buy the VSX-01TXH. I just wanted to double check that it will matrix bitstreamed 5.1 DTS-HD MA to 7.1. I've read all through this thread, and the owner's manual, and I'm 99% sure that it will, but would just like to verify with someone who owns the receiver. Thanks!

Also, the only other receiver that I seriously considered is the Denon AVR 2309ci. I'm assuming others made this comparison as well before selecting the Pioneer. What made you guys decide on the Pioneer? Apart from the fact that the Pioneer does THX select2, and the Denon doesn't but has an extra hdmi input, they seem pretty evenly matched. Thoughts? Thanks again.

BTW, I'm not a total noob, but I am close, as I've never bought anything quite this hi end before. Comments really are appreciated.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page