Official VSX-01TXH and VSX-03TXH Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 3261 Old 12-07-2008, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How does the 01 compare with the VSX-92TXH? Is there anything the 01 has that the 92 doesn't?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3261 Old 12-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post

How does the 01 compare with the VSX-92TXH? Is there anything the 01 has that the 92 doesn't?

A few things for starters:
The 01 has a plastic front
The 01 has the newer Advanced Direct Energy amplifier
The 01 has a newer generation processor/MCACC
post #543 of 3261 Old 12-07-2008, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the reply. I had seen a 92 on sale for maybe $100 more than an 01.
post #544 of 3261 Old 12-07-2008, 08:26 PM

Just got my 01 this weekend and setting it up today. Question I have is on the video processing of the Pioneer. I have a Samsung Blu Ray, a Toshiba HD DVD, and a DISH HD DVR all hooked up by HDMI. The first two are sending 1080p video signals and the DISH HD DVR is sending 1080i video signals. Is the Pioneer doing anything to that 1080i satellite signal? I would hope that it is just passing it on to the TV without processing. Is there a way to select on the Pioneer if any processing is done or if the video processing is turned off. Didn't see anything on this on first pass thru the manual.
post #545 of 3261 Old 12-07-2008, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVOL View Post

Just got my 01 this weekend and setting it up today. Question I have is on the video processing of the Pioneer. I have a Samsung Blu Ray, a Toshiba HD DVD, and a DISH HD DVR all hooked up by HDMI. The first two are sending 1080p video signals and the DISH HD DVR is sending 1080i video signals. Is the Pioneer doing anything to that 1080i satellite signal? I would hope that it is just passing it on to the TV without processing. Is there a way to select on the Pioneer if any processing is done or if the video processing is turned off. Didn't see anything on this on first pass thru the manual.

It won't touch/process any hdmi video that goes through it, so video processing isn't an available option when using hdmi.
post #546 of 3261 Old 12-09-2008, 02:43 PM

Just received my vsx-01txh receiver today and have a few questions.
Components:
PS3
Directv HD Dual DVR
Metro cast Motorola HD Dual DVR
Toshiba 56HM66 DLP tv (only 2 hdmi in)
5.1 speaker setup

I plan on connecting the ps3 by hdmi thru the receiver then hdmi to tv
Directv HDMI to tv then optical to receiver (So I can watch tv without receiver)
Motorola Component to tv then optical to receiver (So I can watch tv without receiver)

Am I loosing any sound quality by setting it up this way?
What would I be loosing if I just connected to optical from the tv to receiver instead of directly from Sat/Cable components?
What settings do I need to change on the ps3 to optimize sound?
Is there a difference in quality between Coax and optical?
Coax is the same cable as a standard video cable correct?
Can I use a video cable for my subwoofer connection?

Thank you in advance.
post #547 of 3261 Old 12-09-2008, 08:56 PM

I am trying to decide between these three receivers. I will be using it primarily for watching blu-ray dvds and perhaps even some old VHS tapes. Which receiver should I get? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
post #548 of 3261 Old 12-09-2008, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleRebel View Post

Directv HDMI to tv then optical to receiver (So I can watch tv without receiver)
Motorola Component to tv then optical to receiver (So I can watch tv without receiver)

Am I loosing any sound quality by setting it up this way?
What would I be loosing if I just connected to optical from the tv to receiver instead of directly from Sat/Cable components?

I can only figure you must mean "losing", not "loosing." I think this depends on the TV. I've heard comments that you can only send stereo over optical, but maybe they meant 2 channel PCM. I've never tried it.

How many threads did you ask this in?
post #549 of 3261 Old 12-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklerer View Post

I am trying to decide between these three receivers. I will be using it primarily for watching blu-ray dvds and perhaps even some old VHS tapes. Which receiver should I get? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

That was easy. VSX-01. The VSX-03 adds HDMI jitter control and an aluminum front. Most people don't think it's worth it. Stick with VSX-01. If you don't need S-video switching or 12 v triggers, maybe just stick with VSX-1018.
post #550 of 3261 Old 12-09-2008, 09:03 PM

What about the Yammy? It got solid reviews and is full of features, including HD Radio. Also, will the vsx-01/03 upconvert from my VHS player?
post #551 of 3261 Old 12-10-2008, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
mklerer -- We think the Pioneer's are better than the Yamaha's. Yes, it will upconvert a Composite or S-Video signal to HDMI, but you may not like the results (garbage in, garbage out - the VHS picture quality is not good).

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #552 of 3261 Old 12-10-2008, 08:28 AM

Thanks, Claus.
post #553 of 3261 Old 12-10-2008, 01:40 PM

Questions that I have.

I am going to buying this receiver within 2 weeks most likely.

#1. I have a very cheap Onkyo $150 dollar receiver currently, will purchasing this system give me a significant difference in sound. I am using the Mirage Nanosat Prestige Speakers.
#2. I will be hooking up the entire system via HDMI. ( Samsung Blu Ray HDMI to receiver, then HDMI to tv. Comcast Cable Box DVR HDMI to receiver and then to TV. )
#3. Can I watch tv with sound just through the tv speakers or do I need to have my receiver on? In other words, will the receiver pass through completely while off?
#4. I have the new LN52A750 Samsung 120Hz 1080p tv, I shouldn't lose picture at all connecting this way correct?

Thanks guys, if I can have that answered i'll go out and buy it.
post #554 of 3261 Old 12-10-2008, 02:52 PM

Hi guys,

Just got my VSX-01 few days ago and started playing with IPOD. Overall pretty happy with the receiver. I have the IPOD (generation 4 I think). The music plays for a while and then IPOD will reset. Have you guys see this before and any idea how to fix it?

Ken
post #555 of 3261 Old 12-10-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojiman17 View Post

Hi guys,

Just got my VSX-01 few days ago and started playing with IPOD. Overall pretty happy with the receiver. I have the IPOD (generation 4 I think). The music plays for a while and then IPOD will reset. Have you guys see this before and any idea how to fix it?

Ken

Make sure you have the latest software on your iPod. Mine wouldn't even play until I updated. Works perfect after that...

Ken
post #556 of 3261 Old 12-11-2008, 11:20 AM

Bit of a newb, but read up to page 15 and still have a few questions:

1. What is the reference level people are talking about on the 01? (This question was asked before, but i haven't seen a response for it)

2. I'm running Klipsch WF-35s (Front) , WC-25 (Center) and WS-24 (Surrounds) and from my old replaced system's Infinity Reference 2000.4 Fronts as Back Surrounds and getting a ED A2-300 awaiting paint right now and should be within a week. Question is: The WF-35s have this Bi-Wiring thing (yes, i know "Buy" Wire) but have extra wire, and was wondering if its even worth hooking it up. As well as this crossover business people are talking about, i'm not familiar with it, if one of you audiophiles (trying to become one here) would be running the same system as me (with a 01), how would you hook up the fronts and set the speakers up in the MACC (all small?)

3. I have a PS3 that i'm using for the Blu-Ray Player, and i haven't tried this deselecting 7.1 and 6.1 to get the TrueHD sound, but am running them through PCM (or whatever the other none bitstream choice is) through HDMI...am i getting the TrueHD loseless audio? I mean, i'm running 7.1, but no movie (as of yet, that i've checked) is out putting to 7.1...sooo should i deselect it from the PS3 and use it only when i game?

4. I'm getting this long delay before the AVR picks up the signal...i JUST bought the monoprice HDMI cables (PS3 -> 01 & 01 -> Projector), so i mean...it can't be the HDMI cable, right? Just the AVR losing and finding the singal when i switch between menu and movie/extras on a BD? As well as it takes a while for the Comcast box to show up.

5. I have an original Xbox that i'm using for the XBMC, hooked it up using Component...is it now getting upscaled? I know it out puts in 1080i, but none 1080i videos i'm running, are they now getting upscaled through the AVR? Should i also hook up the Comcast DVR through Component so that it too upscales none 1080i videos?

Thanks for all the help, been trying to read this entire thread before posting, but at work now and i'd like to know before i get home and pop in another BD to play on the AVR, just watching X-Files on it...and i want to make sure i'm watching it the right way when i watch a movie tonight.

Thanks again!
post #557 of 3261 Old 12-11-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojiman17 View Post

Hi guys,

Ken

You can use an USB flash drive if you want. Just fill it up with MP3 and plug it in the USB input, the reciever do the rest.
post #558 of 3261 Old 12-11-2008, 12:16 PM

hello all
need some help

I have a 2 month old Pioneer VSX-03TXH
hooked up via HDMI cables
to a SONY BLue RAY and a Toshiba Reyza LCD
Motorola COmcast box also HDMI
BOSE Acoustimass® 10 speaker system

my problem

My surround sound speaker are not on when I turn the system on

The Right rear surround speak is intermittent.

When I turn the TV and cable box sometimes it work and after toggling the THX button and standard or Automatic surround it come back on. I then proceed to verify a signal is getting to the speaker in the manual MCCAC selection and it does make a noise similar to the other speakers. I have also switched cube speaker to verify speakers.

I am using standard surround, and the only choice for THX is Home THX, I don't even have the option to use NEO:6 Dolby etc? the weird thing is I have had the option to use Dolby with THX.

I am seeking help with configuration, optimal settings.

Is my problem with the AM tuner
The signal from the cable (comcast)
potential problem with my AV tuner

I have verified the speakers, and called Pioneer support - and am almost readt to take it back and exchange think the unit is busted.
post #559 of 3261 Old 12-11-2008, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quick question about sub level on the 03txh. I ran the calibration and after tweaking with the spl meter, my sub level on the receiver is set to about -6db. I read somewhere that it should be -3 to 3.

Is this bad, am I losing any sould quality by this? Again the level on the AVR is -6db, the gain on my VTF3-MK3 is 9:30.

Should I turn the sub down further and raise the gain on the AVR?

Does it matter?
post #560 of 3261 Old 12-12-2008, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Which calibration method is everyone using?? Symmetry, front align and all channel. I would guess front align is the best if you have all matching speakers. Why would pioneer use symmetry as default?
post #561 of 3261 Old 12-12-2008, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Quick question about sub level on the 03txh. I ran the calibration and after tweaking with the spl meter, my sub level on the receiver is set to about -6db. I read somewhere that it should be -3 to 3.

Is this bad, am I losing any sould quality by this? Again the level on the AVR is -6db, the gain on my VTF3-MK3 is 9:30.

Should I turn the sub down further and raise the gain on the AVR?

Does it matter?

It dosen't matter much, especially if the AVR us slightly below "0". The range you read about is common, but not set in bronze. My recommendation is usually -5 to 0. This provides a little headroom for adjuatment, as many (most?) run their subs 2-4 dB "hot" (i.e. louder than the "flat" setting auto calibration programs provide).

-6 is fine.
post #562 of 3261 Old 12-12-2008, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

Which calibration method is everyone using?? Symmetry, front align and all channel. I would guess front align is the best if you have all matching speakers. Why would pioneer use symmetry as default?

The choice depends on the speakers, room, and personal taste (especially room and taste). There is no right or wrong.

All channel adjust attempts to adjust all the speakers to a "flat" setting, and takes into account that identical speakers will have different response patterns in different parts of a room. All speakers are individually adjusted to a "neutral" response pattern. (My preference.)

Front align matches the other speakers to the RL fronts, including any "inaccuracies" or "coloration" the fronts may have in a given room. It makes no adjustment to the fronts, but attempts to make the other speakers match them as closely as possible. This is ideal for those who don't want to change the way their fronts sound in their room.

Symmetry is a more recent option. It kind of splits the difference, making identical adjustments to both right and left of each pair of speakers (including the fronts), but different adjustments for each pair. I'm not sure why it is the default, but my guess is that their research has shown that a wide variety to consumers like it, especially those who make no manual adjustments, but just run MCACC once and quit. It may provide a wider "sweet spot" as well (I've never tested that theory).
post #563 of 3261 Old 12-12-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Just an observation, I'm no engineer but why is the top vent so small??? wouldn't it be more efficient to have the whole top of the AVR vented??? I've had maybe 10 different AVRs and this if the first one that is closed off.
post #564 of 3261 Old 12-12-2008, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Just a guess, but they may be managing airflow. You get a chimney effect, hot components causing air to rise out the top, sucking air in the bottom. If you place your vent holes correctly (top vents above your hot components in the back of the case, bottom vents in the front of the case), you can take advantage of that chimney flow to move air across the board, giving more effective cooling to all the parts.

If you have holes all across the top, the hot air rising from the hot components could be replaced by air coming in from other parts of the top of the case, giving less useful air movement.

It's complex engineering, though. Rack cooling follows some of the same principles. No idea what Pioneer actually intended.

Paul Meyer
Bee Cave (Austin), TX

The MeyerHT is open for business!
post #565 of 3261 Old 12-12-2008, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

The choice depends on the speakers, room, and personal taste (especially room and taste). There is no right or wrong.

All channel adjust attempts to adjust all the speakers to a "flat" setting, and takes into account that identical speakers will have different response patterns in different parts of a room. All speakers are individually adjusted to a "neutral" response pattern. (My preference.)

Front align matches the other speakers to the RL fronts, including any "inaccuracies" or "coloration" the fronts may have in a given room. It makes no adjustment to the fronts, but attempts to make the other speakers match them as closely as possible. This is ideal for those who don't want to change the way their fronts sound in their room.

Symmetry is a more recent option. It kind of splits the difference, making identical adjustments to both right and left of each pair of speakers (including the fronts), but different adjustments for each pair. I'm not sure why it is the default, but my guess is that their research has shown that a wide variety to consumers like it, especially those who make no manual adjustments, but just run MCACC once and quit. It may provide a wider "sweet spot" as well (I've never tested that theory).

Interesting, I might have to re-run the calibration with all channels adjust to see how it sounds.

Until now I have been using symmetry.

Its always something that keeps me working with this thing ever since I got it. Haven't even been able to put the microphone and spl meter away since I got it.........about a month ago.
post #566 of 3261 Old 12-12-2008, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...Its always something that keeps me working with this thing ever since I got it. Haven't even been able to put the microphone and spl meter away since I got it.........about a month ago.

Sound familiar!
post #567 of 3261 Old 12-12-2008, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Should I turn the "Hi Bit" option on in the audio?? in the manual it says it converts all PCM audio to 24bit.
post #568 of 3261 Old 12-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I am having an issue using my HTPC with the 01. This same pc/hdmi cable was fine with an onkyo and denon in the last 6 months.

It worked at first...then I noticed audio dropouts (my htpc passes audio and video thru hdmi)then it lost video as well. Sometimes it locks then as sec later loses it. The hdmi light blinks when this happens and the display goes from my dim setting to bright then back to dim.

I tested other cables and had the same issue-and I tested going direct to my projector and it was fine.
So it obviously is a pioneer issue.
Anyone know about this? Is this a known issue?

Thanks
post #569 of 3261 Old 12-13-2008, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3bbY View Post

I am having an issue using my HTPC with the 01. This same pc/hdmi cable was fine with an onkyo and denon in the last 6 months.

It worked at first...then I noticed audio dropouts (my htpc passes audio and video thru hdmi)then it lost video as well. Sometimes it locks then as sec later loses it.

I tested other cables and had the same issue-and I tested going direct to my projector and it was fine.
So it obviously is a pioneer issue.
Anyone know about this? Is this a known issue?

Thanks

I have also noticed when switching between devices or if there is signal interruption, there is a delay. I haven't noticed it while using PS3, XBOX360, cable, or DVD. Just takes a second when switching between them.
post #570 of 3261 Old 12-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

I have also noticed when switching between devices or if there is signal interruption, there is a delay. I haven't noticed it while using PS3, XBOX360, cable, or DVD. Just takes a second when switching between them.

This is not when switching sources. This is once its locked on it it starts to drop out...only my htpc.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page